Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st December 2020, 14:06   #436
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post
Besides that, itís got 50 decades of heritage!
I'm sorry to nitpick, but I don't get what you're referring to by "50 decades of heritage".

Did you perhaps mean 5 decades/50 years?
FloatingCanvas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 16:55   #437
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
I don't know if the Jimny and Thar would belong in the same price bracket ? But if they did, everyone is probably waiting for a Thar v/s Jimny comparison

God bless competition !
The issue is jimny is not really competition to the Thar! Yes the jimny like a Fiat Panda 4x4 is extremely nimble offroad, more so than a G wagen or maybe even the full size Range Rover! Is it competition for either, nope.

The Thar is a much better and far more rounded product. The Thar is bigger, more powerful, more comfortable on/offroad and most importantly far safer. While there is no doubt that the jimny is designed around providing a good standard of off-road prowess, a majority of the buyers look at this as a lifestyle purchase and are highly likely to drive this on open highways at near speed limits. This is the worst car to do the same in. Outside the offroad environment, the jimny can just about survive as a city runabaout. Anything else it comes short. Poor ride quality especially over broken tarmac, questionable medium to high speed handling, questionable safety, sparse interiors...etc....etc...

The only advantage the jimny has over a Thar is that it will be a lot lighter, an Indian jimny even more so. Pretty sure the 're-engineered' Jimny for India will end up weighing under a ton!

Unlike the new Thar, which has a far more rounded appeal the jimny has a very narrow design purpose. It will fizzle out after the initial euphoria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Most of us Indians want maximum bang for our buck. Jimny has too small foot-print w.r.t. Thar. So, if its price overlaps with Mahindra Thar (even partially), it is going to be dud on arrival. Customers in this segment don't mind spending 1~2L extra if their heart goes with the product.
Once people see the jimny in real life and realise how small it is, anything north of 9-10 lacs will seem to be overpriced!
shortbread is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 20:51   #438
BHPian

In indian market, the Jimny will come with a engine producing 134 nm of torque. If a prospective buyer spends ~2 lakhs more, he gets a 2 liter turbocharged Petrol Engine producing 320 nM of torque.

This same engine will be used in Scorpio in a different tune producing 380 nm. So a lateral remap and it is a comparison of 134 vs 380 nm.

To me, it seems Suzuki has missed the bus at least in the indian market. International markets can still be beneficial though.
Old 21st December 2020, 22:44   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadAtlas View Post
In indian market, the Jimny will come with a engine producing 134 nm of torque. If a prospective buyer spends ~2 lakhs more, he gets a 2 liter turbocharged Petrol Engine producing 320 nM of torque.

This same engine will be used in Scorpio in a different tune producing 380 nm. So a lateral remap and it is a comparison of 134 vs 380 nm.

To me, it seems Suzuki has missed the bus at least in the indian market. International markets can still be beneficial though.
There is a difference between a Mahindra and a Jimny , pls do not underestimate the power of mechanical integrity and pedigree , I for one would buy the Jimny even if it was priced on par with the Thar top end , thats what I would pay for a genuine world class package , that would last me the next 15 years

(Past generation Thar owner here ) so no WhatsApp university or global knowledge being offered

Last edited by wbd8779 : 21st December 2020 at 22:57.
wbd8779 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 23:12   #440
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadAtlas View Post

I have to agree.

Firstly the so called popular/successful/cult car.....the Jimny is not sold in the EU anymore (only a commercial van variant)! Even when it was, the jimny was a unique niche vehicle and not huge success that some on this thread claim. Sold 16k cars in 2019 in the EU, in comparison the Duster sold 220k cars, nearly 14 times the suzuki.

Unless it is a lot cheaper the jimny will be an underwhelming product vis a vis the Thar. I think people will be a lot more pragmatic when they drive/see it in person.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 00:31   #441
BHPian

The Jimny is simply cooler than the Thar, which, like it or not, is a copycat design. It will be great both in the city and on narrow mountain roads and trails because of its compact dimensions. And I don't see the Indian military, which really puts these kinds of cars through their paces, going for the Thar to replace the Gypsy. But this little Suzuki IS the new Gypsy, and will really be the right upgrade. It's hard not to get excited about this car. In a market that's so in thrall of size (badi gaadi aka better car), it's a breath of fresh air.
karanddd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 08:29   #442
BHPian

I dont think a Jimny can be compared to a Thar at all in terms of dimensions. Have seen a lot of Jimnys and they are tiny in terms of length width and height. It is smaller than an Ignis looking at the dimensions. But I believe it is a very capable off-roader and is fun to drive.
anish5225 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:17   #443
BHPian

A three door version would be a glorified gypsy in my opinion, was really looking forward for a replacement for the Mahindra Marshall/commander. Looks like only force with Gurkha 5 door would do.
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:34   #444
BHPian

I come across Jimny often where I'm at the moment. I'd say it's a perfect size runabout, right in between big and small. It's got great clearances all around, and I've seen it do decent loaded highway speeds. Decked up with the basic upgrades, it's a sight to behold amongst the sea of plastics. With simple mechanicals, just enough tech, compact dimensions, light weight and nimble feel, it's the closest to the modern iteration of a jeep.

So to those comparing it with heavy Thar SUV, the point is plenty lost. I for one do not see the need to lug around all that extra weight and bulk to do pretty much the same thing both are capable of. Jimny 3-door and RE350 would be the only exceptions to my never buying another new ICE vehicle policy.
SandyX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:37   #445
Senior - BHPian

My friend is using Jimny in Australia. He got his mini SUV in September after an year of booking. Recently her went for dune bashing & competed with Prados & Land Cruisers. In his words it kept up with them despite the smaller engine.
Guess the light weight & smaller dimensions helped it. Jimny is called mountain goat for this reason .
CARDEEP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 13:20   #446
BHPian

Comparing Jimny to Thar is probably not possible.

The physical dimensions is vastly different. The new Thar is so well sorted out in the looks department. It has the Jeep Wrangler presence on the road.

Jimny on the other hand is very diminutive. It may be really great off-road, but It will not win any points in the size department.

I think all the excitement will die down a bit because of how small it actually is for everyday use.
Old 22nd December 2020, 13:26   #447
Senior - BHPian

The Ignis is the nicest small city car I know after the death of the Brio. I always look at the Ignis and wondered if it could somehow arrive in a pseudo suv design retaining its size. Voila the Gypsy returns. I think the Jimny will find its buyers as long as Maruti does not make it Nexa exclusive.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 14:33   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
The Ignis is the nicest small city car I know after the death of the Brio.
Completely agree with you Nithesh. I owned the car for a little more than a year and loved every aspect of the Ignis except just couldn’t live with the AMT. I found the AMT to be terrible with time especially since my other car is a Civic, I sold it off.

An Ignis with a CVT would be perfect small/tall car for our lovely city roads and while the handling is strictly ok, the ride is very acceptable.

The Jimny looks like an interesting vehicle, have to see it in person and take a test drive before deciding anything. I find the comparisons to the Thar completely out of place though.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 22nd December 2020 at 14:34.
Old 22nd December 2020, 15:24   #449

Jimny may not be that big but not all consumers need something as big as a Thar. Indian roads are narrow and small at places. I see the Jimny being successful as not everyone in India has the real estate to keep a thar parked. A Jimny would be the perfect vehicle for India. Something small, light and economical with 4x4 and seat 4-5 people. Thatís the perfect car that the majority of the population already lives with sans the 4x4.

Iím for one eagerly waiting for the Jimny. I had my eyes on the petrol Thar before but if Suzuki gets this sooner, my money is on it. Itís the narrow width of the car with 4x4 thatís going to be a boon when driving in the hills.
RallyMechanic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 17:04   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
The Ignis is the nicest small city car I know after the death of the Brio. I always look at the Ignis and wondered if it could somehow arrive in a pseudo suv design retaining its size. Voila the Gypsy returns. I think the Jimny will find its buyers as long as Maruti does not make it Nexa exclusive.
Pseudo SUV??.... That's a big insult to the Jimny.!!

But ��
Tiny cute dimensions. Length as well as width.
Perfect boxy shape allowing you to place the vehicle easily, including the elusive visible bonnet.
Though it won't be easy to drive or live with like the Ignis, the character makes up for it.

Small town roads, urban jungle, village roads, broken roads...the only place where I don't see it fit would be proper highways (100+kmph), which are anyways rare around my place.

Just hope Maruti prices it along the Brezza instead of having grand delusions of pricing along the Thar.

Last edited by DicKy : 22nd December 2020 at 17:06.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed