Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2020, 17:39   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Jimny had an edge an year or two back, Thar ageing out, people looking for an option etc. Today with Thar so successful (hope so) Jimny is late to the party. Now with a better product to compare, the numbers might be by those enthusiasts who need some thing to bash up in their trails. Not everyday blokes like what happened with Thar. So with less numbers, practicality on daily use and of course we expect very opportunistic pricing, only time can say.

One year or may be two years back if it was introduced, would have been a different game altogether
laluks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 20:23   #452
Senior - BHPian

Don't think Jimny will cut. India is all about brute macho SUVs and that thing looks like a Lego SUV. You're not going to scare anyone on road with that thing, unlike Thar. Add to that petrol-only engine. The words Petrol and SUV don't fit well in a sentence. A squarish tall body with a petrol engine may struggle to touch 2-digit FE. And, then, Maruti may give this car its famed AMT or a 4-speed TC.

I'm not at all doubting its capabilities but we all know 90 per cent SUVs are mall cruisers. Jimny had a chance earlier but new Thar has raised the bar with 2 fuel and 2 transmission options. Just my opinion.

Someone commented, owing to narrow streets of India, Jimny would be more sought after. Really? Creta sells more than Venue. Creta, Seltos together outsell all sub-4 m SUVs combined. We see more Innovas, Fortuners, Endeavours than more compact crossovers. We like the biggest possible car for a given amount.
pgsagar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 00:53   #453
BHPian

When Jimny, in the current iteration, was initially launched, even Suzuki itself was not ready for and never anticipated the accolades it recieved the world over and continue to do so. Let alone blokes trying to assess its acceptance in India by the masses. Thar is no doubt an intimidating vehicle. Jimny is there to entice you, the driver. It is a pleasing vehicle not meant for show off but for fun.

Totally different products altogether, Thar being a novice (relatively), bulky chunk of steel with engineering as good as it gets with an indigenous manufacturer. Whereas, the Jimny is a brand in itself, decades of pedigree and heritage along with simple, precise and marvellous engineering shining its prowess all over the world.

The good old Gypsy still enthuses the hardcores. It has successfully served the civilians and the forces in the country. Ask any fauji driver in troublesome areas what he likes, and his answer is to get a Gypsy even if it is old. The damn thing runs even if not cared for in any way and runs how! The Jimny is arguably/unarguably only better.

The latest Jimny has only one thing to prove here in our country, that it is better than the old Gypsy King IMHO. The Thar is good in its own territory. If there will be any comparison then it can't be on paper spec sheets, it will be on turf, am pretty sure there will be loads and loads of interesting comparisons coming up on the net once the Jimny is actually out in India.

When it humbly shares stage with MB Gs, LRs and Wranglers it is only funny to imagine pitting it against the Thar. The outcome is an obvious result of common sense. Or one can wait till the Jimny is out and videos start surfacing the net | Thar v/s Jimny
Fuldagap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 08:17   #454
BHPian

I think it is pretty well established now that the international Jimmy with 3 doors will not come to Indian market even though it is being manufactured in India as we speak. We will get the 5 door version somewhere in 2022-23 would be my guess. So, none of us have any idea about the dimensions it will actually come in. Suffice to say it will be longer, probably wider even. Rest, we can speculate about price etc but what I have observed is that people have mostly made up their minds about niche cars well in advance of purchase based on their own parameters. So, I think That and Jimmy will both exist in their own bubbles in the long term.
Old 26th December 2020, 13:17   #455
BHPian

Jimny can be a great expedition/overlanding car for conditions specifically like in our country. Capability to tackle bad city roads and tough mountain climbs with ease along with the perfect dimensions to squeeze through high-traffic zones. Most importantly at the end of the day, a well-engineered and reliable vehicle with superior service reach even in remote locations. Even at a slight premium this vehicle makes a lot of sense for most Indians looking for affordable alternatives to the Fortuners and Endeavours of the World.

A country that has survived on unsafe cars for years is still much better placed with a 3-star NCAAP rating for the Jimny. I don't see any deal-breakers apart from engine specs, which might turn out to be the fly in the ointment.

Last edited by saleem_k : 26th December 2020 at 13:31.
saleem_k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 13:36   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
I think it is pretty well established now that the international Jimmy with 3 doors will not come to Indian market even though it is being manufactured in India as we speak. We will get the 5 door version somewhere in 2022-23 would be my guess. So, none of us have any idea about the dimensions it will actually come in. Suffice to say it will be longer, probably wider even. Rest, we can speculate about price etc but what I have observed is that people have mostly made up their minds about niche cars well in advance of purchase based on their own parameters. So, I think That and Jimmy will both exist in their own bubbles in the long term.
There is still possibility on 3 Door Jimny (YWD) , whatever is being manufactured in India is CKD unit probably to check the market interest on 3 door version.

Jimny development is still under plan though it is being pushed down the line and is being delayed for some unknown reason. As far as I know there will be a Jimny launch somewhere in 2022 either 5 door or 3 Door, or Both.
Old 27th December 2020, 22:11   #457

I think Maruti Suzuki would not loose by launching Jimny in 3 door version despite the fact whether 5 door come for not. It will help them create and establish the Jimny brand if they don't want to revive the Gypsy brand. The enthusiast will lap it up and then fence sitters will get a tase of the capability it has to offer. If the demand is too low it can always be made available as 'made to order' (since it will be assembled here for exports), just the way Gypsy was made to order to a civilian customer. It will also give them time to develop the 5 door version if they see a potential.
drive on is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 19:01   #458
Senior - BHPian

All speculations about current Maruti Jimny are rubbish

There have been numerous reports suggesting that Maruti is planning to launch the Jimny in India. It has also been reported that the 3-door version will be displayed at Nexa showrooms to gauge customer response.

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-jimny.jpg

However, we have been told that all speculations surrounding the Jimny are false. Maruti is working on a 5-door version which should be ready by 2022 or 2023, if everything goes according to plan.

At present, Maruti Suzuki is producing 1,200-1,500 units of the 3-door version per month. These are only for exports and Maruti has no intention of selling this version in India.

In the international market, the fourth-generation Jimny is powered by a 1.5-litre petrol engine which is paired with either a 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic gearbox.

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 19:21   #459
BHPian

Re: All speculations about current Maruti Jimny are rubbish

In my honest opinion, Suzuki never wanted to sell the Jimny in India. As always with Suzuki, they tend to launch products which give maximum profits and volumes. The Jimny, being a lifestyle product, isn’t meant for generating volumes. Of course, the Jimny has no cult following like the Thar. And I am pretty sure most of the enthusiasts would pick the Thar over the Jimny. As of my knowledge, the Gypsy too never sold like the Thar. You can find plenty of Thars and old Mahindra jeeps for sale but finding a Gypsy for sale might be tough. Well, this is Suzuki’s way of telling the Indian market that they don’t deserve global Suzuki products.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th January 2021 at 19:39. Reason: typo
saikishor is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 21:55   #460
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Well, this is Suzuki’s way of telling the Indian market that they don’t deserve global Suzuki products.
To be really honest, they only share 50% of the blame. The rest is the crowd here. Kizashi and Grand Vitara were fantastic vehicles but launched at the wrong time (not like the MSIL fans would accept anything that costs more than a toaster to maintain today or has an engine bigger than 1.5L). Besides, 4-speed automatic is very cumbersome and hammers the fuel efficiency. I would rather get something other than Jimny if I wanted to go 4x4 on a budget. But then, that's just my opinion.
vredesbyrd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 22:07   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
To be really honest, they only share 50% of the blame. The rest is the crowd here. Kizashi and Grand Vitara were fantastic vehicles but launched at the wrong time (not like the MSIL fans would accept anything that costs more than a toaster to maintain today or has an engine bigger than 1.5L). Besides, 4-speed automatic is very cumbersome and hammers the fuel efficiency. I would rather get something other than Jimny if I wanted to go 4x4 on a budget. But then, that's just my opinion.
+1
I actually thought about including the Kizashi and Grand Vitara, but Suzuki isn’t even trying new things these days. So IMO it is Suzuki to blame.
Old 6th January 2021, 22:34   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

I’m not sure if Jimny will come or not but what I’m sure about is that we will keep discussing it to eternity; Courtesy: Suzuki and Maruti soft flirting with it repeatedly. This thread comes up every few days and honestly speaking, any interest if at all, has now been dampened to the core regarding the jimny.

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-665439aa77c840b581cdd99cbdba55ab.jpeg
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 00:47   #463
Distinguished - BHPian

For a moment I read that as Maruti launching a rubbish Jimny here.

A 5-door will probably be rubbish. Because it will lose 4WD and much more to "meet Indian regulations".

On the other hand, might gain a couple of kgs worth stickers, chrome and maybe even a sunroof!
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 01:05   #464
BHPian

I know it won't sell in large numbers, but maruti needs an image makeover especially in the urbane areas its falling out of favour. If they don't stem the slide then it maybe too late. 2023 is a while away. Jimmy could have brought some vigour . Maruti should not forget that perception of being a dynamic brand in front of ambassadors and padmini was their claim to fame.
Old 7th January 2021, 02:13   #465
BHPian

I somehow knew that they would never launch the Jimny here. Honestly, when we have a winner of the segment already selling(Thar), who'd have bothered with the Jimny?
Also, IMHO small petrol engines are really not suited for hardcore off-roading(certainly not the K15 engine which the Jimny comes with. The horrible low end grunt of that engine irritates me on my Ciaz when the battery of SHVS system runs out).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks