Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2021, 10:48   #571
BANNED

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
'Made In India' Jimny ( 3 door) now exported to Philippines, while Malaysia will get the Jimny as CBU from Japan.

Link
Volkman teasing us with Made in India Jimny pictures turning us into beggars begging MSIL to throw us a Jimny bone

Made in India Jimny for filipinos but no joy for us desis
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 13:20   #572
Distinguished - BHPian

While Suzuki's much awaited Jimny (5 door) will grace the Auto Expo in 2022, it will go on sale in India in July 2022.

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-11.jpg

The SUV will new front design with brand’s new global design philosophy.

It is expected to receive revised bumpers, grille, wheels and headlamps. However, the SUV will retain the original design of the Jimny.

The interior is likely to receive updated multimedia system and new graphics in the instrument console.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 00:24   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
While Suzuki's much awaited Jimny (5 door) will grace the Auto Expo in 2022, it will go on sale in India in July 2022.
Any reason why they aren't considering the 3 door version? If it's already in production here and being exported, can be launched earlier and in 2021 itself post homologation in India.

Off-road enthusiasts would also prefer the 3 door over the 5 door given it's shorter dimensions and lower weight. The 1.5L petrol motor anyways lacks the grunt and the additional weight of the 5 door won't help in a tricky terrain environment.
sid_deb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 14:41   #574
Senior - BHPian

Used Suzuki Jimny is being sold at higher price than New Jimny

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20210506144116_chrome.jpg

Quote:
As of publishing, there are currently 47 Suzuki Jimny GJs listed on Carsales in Australia. None of them are selling for below the MSRP of $28,490. Indeed, the cheapest on Carsales, a beige manual 2019 base model with around 41,000km on the clock, is listed for $34,000. That’s roughly a 20% premium over retail.
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 17:45   #575
BHPian

I wonder what would happen to Thar sales if this had to get released. Would it fall off a cliff or would it sustain? Curious to know what other people think. While people might get a miniaturised G Class with the Jimny, you get a cut price Wrangler with the Thar.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 18:25   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
I wonder what would happen to Thar sales if this had to get released. Would it fall off a cliff or would it sustain? Curious to know what other people think. While people might get a miniaturised G Class with the Jimny, you get a cut price Wrangler with the Thar.
Depends on the reliability of the Thar in a years time and the pricing of the Jimmy. Jimmy is constrained for space inside.
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 19:18   #577
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I'd pick the Jimny over the Thar anyday and in fact I'm waiting for it.

Why Jimny over Thar?
Simple; Fuss & niggle free ownership. Easy spares availability
and reliable MS service.
LaRoca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 19:22   #578
BHPian

Quote:
In all probability Jimny will be cheaper by a few lakhs than Thar. Going back to 2010 when Thar and Gypsy both were barebones, a Gypsy was cheaper than Thar DI. Practically Jimny will not have any competition in the price range that it will come at. Maruti has the best success rate till now with their products, a lot many Compact sedan and premium hatchback buyers will go for Jimny given the current phobia with the Indian market on owning a SUV.

Thar is going to get costly only with time, IMHO the updated Gurkha will be the only competitor to Thar.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 19:43   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Depends on the reliability of the Thar in a years time and the pricing of the Jimmy. Jimmy is constrained for space inside.

It's mainly going to be reliability, in my opinion. In terms of space inside, apart from the driver and co-passenger, the Thar is also shockingly bad. In fact with the 5 door configuration, the Jimny might actually be the more livable cabin for families. It might just be the practical option for people looking to have just one car.

Disclaimer: Basing this on images of the 5 door Jimny so I might be wrong.
da_lowrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 20:16   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Any reason why they aren't considering the 3 door version? If it's already in production here and being exported, can be launched earlier and in 2021 itself post homologation in India.

Off-road enthusiasts would also prefer the 3 door over the 5 door given it's shorter dimensions and lower weight. The 1.5L petrol motor anyways lacks the grunt and the additional weight of the 5 door won't help in a tricky terrain environment.
I'm working with one of the Tier 1's of MSIL and I can assure they were working on the 3 DR variant in the earlier stage (starting June 20).
I cannot firmly say what influenced them to postpone the 3 DR project, since the sourcing and all was already finalised. The only thing I can think of is the launch of 3 DR Mahindra Thar, though quite succesful, the issues with space for sitting 4 people could have been the main reason, IMHO.
pgoyal1996 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 10:49   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Any reason why they aren't considering the 3 door version?
Off-road enthusiasts would also prefer the 3 door over the 5 door given it's shorter dimensions and lower weight.
Because it might work better to offer a popular 5 door version from the very start, and then introduce a limited 3 door version for the enthusiasts. The Jimny is the only interesting piece in the Suzuki line-up, and they need to get the messaging and marketing spot-on to continue their dominance in the India market.
nishsingh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2021, 11:23   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jimny and Thar are different segments. One a wide and heavy body Diesel (ok there is a petrol Thar) the other a narrow and light body petrol. Each one has its advantage and disadvantage.

Thar numbers may reduce a bit for those who want a light and narrow vehicle, otherwise I expect both of them to do reasonable numbers.
Old 7th May 2021, 20:51   #583
BHPian

Quote:
While people might get a miniaturised G Class with the Jimny, you get a cut price Wrangler with the Thar.
I don't know how others feel, but I feel that the Thar is more of an affordable Wrangler than the Jimny is a miniature G Wagon. I'm aware that this isn't a direct comparison, but I'm talking about the feel factor here. Although Suzuki's reliability is the Golden ticket anyway.
SNOWY227 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 10:26   #584
Distinguished - BHPian

New Info. on Suzuki Jimny ( Japanese media)

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-09050545352_e8ca_o.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-09050533785_7a58_o.jpg

- Jimny 5 door originally planned for display at the 2021 venue of the Tokyo Motor Show, which was scheduled to be held in the fall of 2021, but the show is now cancelled.

- New date for arrival will be in early 2022.

- Jimny (Long has a 5-door model )with the wheelbase extended by about 300mm. Significantly improve the foot space and luggage space of the rear seats.

- Expected to be ~₹ 200,000 more than the 3 door variant.

- Rumoured to have a new turbocharger to compensate for the weight increase, including a mild hybrid with S energy charge, but the exact point is unknown at this stage.

- Jimny production( 3 door) started at the Suzuki plant in India. There are signs of improvement in Jimny's delivery date in Japan

- Jimny produced in India is mainly exported to Central and South America, the Middle East and Africa.

- Jimny sales volume in March 2021 was 5719 units (138.2% year-on-year) for the light Jimny (JB64 type) and 2267 units (199.9% year-on-year) for the 1.5-liter Jimny Sierra (JB74 type). It has increased significantly.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th May 2021 at 10:28.
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 16:45   #585
BHPian

What are the overall sales numbers of the Jimny since launch worldwide? Is it really as successful in terms of sales figures as the hype around it is?

Last edited by Fuldagap : 11th May 2021 at 16:45. Reason: Spelling mistake
Fuldagap is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed