Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2021, 12:36   #616
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I disagree.

The USP of Jimny/Gypsy is
a) Petrol Engine
b) Narrow width
c) Lower weight

All these come into play in the Himalayan region. There are narrow paths with a lot of switchbacks that very few vehicles can tackle easily. That is the reason for the popularity of small narrow vehicles like Omni/EECO and Alto. Thar and other diesel vehicles are just too wide and heavy.
I think that's preciesly why the Jimny may not see Thar like success. The target base would be too small. Not to say it won't sell. Just that it may not see the kind of numbers Thar is doing.

Thar has managed to pull at the heart strings of almost everyone. All thanks to its appearance. Very few will use it for 4WD capabilities. That is why M&M is also readying a non 4WD version.

Jimny on the other hand will appeal more to folks who are aware of its cred and need a nimble 4WD. It can not and will not replace the Altos, Omnis of the hills owing to its price.
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 13:07   #617
Team-BHP Support

Why does it have to be Thar v/s Jimny? If you see these cars in person - that will not come up as a logical comparison.

We should start considering offroaders into segments as well! With the entry of Jimny and Hilux - there should be one for everyone in every budget.

As for the pricing - there is simply no reason for Maruti to price the Jimny close to Thar. It is a much smaller machine with simpler, old-school mechanicals and while that has its own charm and customer base - there is no denying its cheaper to make as well.

For example, below is the 3-door's starting prices from the home market -
Suzuki Ignis - 1,423,400 yen
Suzuki Jimny 3 door - 1,485,000 yen
Suzuki Jimny Sierra - 1,793,000 yen

Ignis starts at 4.95L in India! And Thar at 12.11!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th June 2021 at 13:15.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 05:05   #618
BHPian

I have been closely following this thread since its inception. It is quite interesting to see folks comparing Thar & Jimny and how Jimny will not see the kind of success that Thar is witnessing.

Just to be clear; my comments are no affront to the current & potential Thar owners; I think it is a great vehicle but still not completely finished; it will be there in a couple of years but it is not there; not just yet.

First things first; before Jimny was pulled from the European market owing to its CO2 emissions it had a waiting period of a year in Europe. The vehicle was developed & manufactured for a global market (barring the North American market from where Suzuki pulled out back in 2012).

It continues to sell with aplomb in African, South American & Asia Pacific markets and still maintains a yearlong waiting period although both Suzuki’s Kosai (Japan) & Gurgaon plants are currently manufacturing the vehicle.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/882440/...inues-to-rise/

In Australia which is one of the most mature 4X4 markets; used Suzuki Jimnys are selling for a higher price than the brand new ones as there is a long waiting period.

https://www.rushlane.com/used-suzuki...-12401710.html

Suzuki has spent more than a billion US$ in developing this platform which is essentially brand spanking new from the ground up and unlike our Indian manufacturer it did not use a template to copy/paste. It is a very well-engineered product for the global markets and the feedback of the product can be seen in hundreds of the user/reviewer’s videos posted in the last two & a half years all over YouTube.

We should remember that in all of these markets there’s no dearth of very capable 4X4s though priced at a premium for obvious reasons (Wrangler & a number of Toyota 4X4s in addition to other makes) and Jimny has been able to hold its own and it's fan following continues unabated. I personally know at least 3 hard-core jeepers who would instantly opt for a Jimny and get rid of their Wranglers given a chance (watch any European Auto Mag’s Jimny review & read the comment section).

It has manageable dimensions which is a perfect fit for India’s congested roads & almost impossible to find parking spaces.

As far as power is concerned a 100 bhp engine is more than enough as the kerb weight is manageable at 1,095 kgs (let’s add 50 more kgs for the 5 door version even then it will be 1,150 kgs). To put things into perspective kerb weight of Thar is 1,750 kgs (2 door) so if you see the power to weight ratio of Thar, the 150 bhp engine suddenly does not look all that powerful. Jimny clearly has a much superior power-to-weight ratio. Needless to say, Jimny will have far superior fuel economy figures and the way gas prices are climbing, it can make or break a deal for a potential customer. If Suzuki gives us the 1.4 ltr booster jet motor it will be icing on the cake though I have a hard time imagining that it will happen given Suzuki's track record.

One aspect that really struck me was the packaging & utilization of space. The space behind the front seats is absolutely flat with rubberized surfaces all around that provide immense usability/practicality especially for the folks who are into long-distance touring (I will abstain from using the opt repeated term “Overlanding”) hiking/camping.

2nd aspect that I feel is very important because not only Thar but the much revered Wrangler also suffers from it. I have 5 Wranglers (all hard top) in my neighbourhood and 4 out of 5 Jeeps have a leakage problem. Jimny has a solid metal roof so I don’t have to worry about a leak in a torrential downpour. Honestly, I’m not a big fan of the removable roof/doors precisely because of this issue. Besides, the removable roof panels also don’t come with any insulation so in inclement weather conditions they don’t provide much protection. The road noise in Wranglers has to be experienced to be believed (back in 2018 I almost pulled the plug on a JL Rubicon however my proposal was instantly shot down by my wife as I took her out for a test drive and at 110 kmph on the highway, we had to shout to hear each other). I’m giving the example of Wrangler as I have not had the opportunity to drive the new or the old Thar but I guess it will be the same story in Thar.

Last but not least potential owners of Jimny will get to own a vehicle that is proven globally; it will not be an India specific poverty spec vehicle (okay we will not get radar-based cruise control, the lane departure warning, or some of the other fancy stuff but come on, do you seriously think we can even use these features anyway in our chaotic road conditions?). The foundation of this vehicle is bulletproof and all the gremlins have been ironed out in the last two and a half years so we won't need to play the role of guinea pigs.

For me personally, reliability is big and that is something Mahindra really has to prove that their product is up to the mark (which I don’t think is the case currently). The last Mahindra vehicle that I drove was an MM 540 which was my company vehicle back in 1999 in Delhi. For all its negatives I liked it but would have found it tough to gather enough courage to cough up the money to own one.

Back in 1993 we got a brand new Gypsy 410W in addition to the Tata Estate and we had both the vehicles till they hit 100,000 kms. The Tata Estate has its' share of minor niggles (the power window switches would malfunction, the air conditioning was erratic initially) but the Gypsy was absolutely flawless and problem-free (it also helped that our chauffeur was a stickler for carrying out the routine maintenance).

Jimny is a great product which is built for purpose with no nonsense approach and does not claim to be something which it is not. It is not a regular family car, it will not provide the ride quality of the soft roaders because of body on frame architecture (and thank God for that), it has great ergonomics, decent space, amply capable for most scenarios (in a comparison video featuring Mercedes G-Wagon, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon & Jimny, the Jimny kept up with the much more capable 4X4s without skipping a beat), and has all the modern amenities that we missed in the Gypsy and hopefully Maruti Suzuki will price it reasonably between Rs 9 to 11 lacs to make it a killer proposition.

Launch of Jimny will play the same role that Ford Bronco is playing in North American market by forcing Jeep to launch more variants like the one with the insane V-8 engine (which I think is stupid but then there are people who will spend $80,000 for it) & Mild Hybrid version. A fully electric variant is on the way in next couple of years. Wrangler is already being discounted heavily, something that was unthinkable till a couple of years ago. You should read some of the Jeep forums to see how Wrangler owners are putting their Jeeps up for sale and booking Ford Bronco (now only if Ford can get its act together and launch the damn thing). Jeep is now having to go back to dashboard to look at the long-standing customer complaints about some of the design issues.

In a similar vein, the launch of Jimny will also force Mahindra to pay more attention to their product’s reliability aspect (or lack thereof)/other gremlins and work on improving the vehicle. At the end of the day, it will be a win-win situation for customers with more competition in the segment and you can then take your pick depending upon your requirements/preferences.

Back home I have a 2016 Gypsy that always provides a visceral/mechanical driving experience after the sterilized driving environment that I have to endure here. It will stay with me forever; NGT’s rules notwithstanding. For occasions that require a little cushier but still grounded driving experience, I will definitely add a Jimny to my garage in the next couple of years.

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 6th June 2021 at 05:32. Reason: Addition of content
Vikram Arya is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 17:19   #619
Senior - BHPian

Launch of Jimny pushed back to 2022 because of the pandemic, some say. No confirmation from Maruti yet.
Old 13th June 2021, 03:48   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post

Just to be clear; my comments are no affront to the current & potential Thar owners; I think it is a great vehicle but still not completely finished; it will be there in a couple of years but it is not there; not just yet.
Kudos to you for such a detailed and very well thought post!

Quote:
It continues to sell with aplomb in African, South American & Asia Pacific markets and still maintains a yearlong waiting period although both Suzuki’s Kosai (Japan) & Gurgaon plants are currently manufacturing the vehicle.
I remember seeing posts on TBHP somewhere ridiculing the 1-year wait period as a marketing gimmick by Suzuki through their own press releases.

Quote:
It is a very well-engineered product for the global markets and the feedback of the product can be seen in hundreds of the user/reviewer’s videos posted in the last two & a half years all over YouTube.
These days 'influencers' can be managed online. No?

Quote:
It has manageable dimensions which is a perfect fit for India’s congested roads & almost impossible to find parking spaces.
The same is a big plus for the mighty Gypsy. Makes it possible to go into villages, bushes, trees, narrow streets of say old Delhi, tight and steep corners on mountainous roads.

Quote:
One aspect that really struck me was the packaging & utilization of space. The space behind the front seats is absolutely flat with rubberized surfaces all around that provide immense usability/practicality especially for the folks who are into long-distance touring (I will abstain from using the opt repeated term “Overlanding”) hiking/camping.
If the Indian Jimny comes with a LWB then we can definitely look forward to even better space management, even with just a small change in the length.

Quote:
Jimny has a solid metal roof so I don’t have to worry about a leak in a torrential downpour.
The metal roof proves to be a boon in dramatic climatic conditions which are routine in heights. One moment the weather is all hunky dory and within a blink of the eye you get hailstorms. During such unpredictable conditions, a metal roof proves a haven. Anybody ever stuck in a hailstorm at heights, say 2,000 mtrs or above will concur I guess.

Sometimes, it so happens in the mountains that you go out from 2,000 mtrs height, travel 30 odd kms and reach a height of 3,000 meters. You begin to enjoy the scene and just then it starts pouring cats and dogs. The temperature decreases so easily at such heights that if the shell is not metal/solid and there is no heating system, folks begin to shiver owing to the preparation-less casual travel plan. And if it starts to snow suddenly, a well insulated cabin with heating is a blessing, to come back safe & sound.

Quote:
Last but not least potential owners of Jimny will get to own a vehicle that is proven globally; it will not be an India specific poverty spec vehicle
The only negative that the online reviews bother me is the shaking of the cabin on highways at high speed due to the very light weight of the Jimny. When big vehicles cross by it, it 'shakes' or that is what they say online.

Quote:
For me personally, reliability is big and that is something Mahindra really has to prove that their product is up to the mark (which I don’t think is the case currently).
Given enough prep time even an old Ambassador can travel the lengths and breadths of the country IMHO. Just like given enough prep time Batman can irritate Superman. But with a Jimny, there is no prep needed, just pop in the car whatever clothes you are wearing, whatever the time of the day it is and whatever direction you intend to go; and be rest assured of a hassle free, safe, secure and timely travel to your destination. Always ready with the word go!

Quote:
Back in 1993 we got a brand new Gypsy 410W in addition to the Tata Estate and we had both the vehicles till they hit 100,000 kms. The Tata Estate has its' share of minor niggles (the power window switches would malfunction, the air conditioning was erratic initially) but the Gypsy was absolutely flawless and problem-free (it also helped that our chauffeur was a stickler for carrying out the routine maintenance).
I would like to add that the Gypsy was a trouble free vehicle even with extensive use of its simple but mighty 4X4 gearbox.

Quote:
It is not a regular family car,
And that's what the manual of the Gypsy used to start with

Quote:
Back home I have a 2016 Gypsy that always provides a visceral/mechanical driving experience after the sterilized driving environment that I have to endure here. It will stay with me forever; NGT’s rules notwithstanding. For occasions that require a little cushier but still grounded driving experience, I will definitely add a Jimny to my garage in the next couple of years.
Here's to a true auto enthusiast. Cheers!

Last edited by Fuldagap : 13th June 2021 at 03:51. Reason: Edited a quote
Fuldagap is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 21:30   #621
BHPian

New Doug DeMuro Jimny review!

stallmaster is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 13:25   #622
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post
Thanks for sharing! The side-by-side shots with the Defender really made me chuckle!

Perfect for the enthusiasts in our Indian conditions, but not for general sales!

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-screenshot-20210618-1.20.45-pm.png

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-screenshot-20210618-1.21.50-pm.png
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 13:43   #623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thanks for sharing! The side-by-side shots with the Defender really made me chuckle!

Perfect for the enthusiasts in our Indian conditions, but not for general sales!

Attachment 2168442

Attachment 2168443
It is not the correct comparison when we put Jimny against bigger vehicles, like her against the Defender.

Jimny has it own category and it rules it 100%. Suzuki had marketed 2.85 million Jimnys in 194 countries through September 2018.

Suzuki will find it hard to price it economically in India, and Indians will find it hard to digest a 3 Door Jimny hardtop (remember the export surplus 3door zen)!

Suzuki can come out with a winner, if it releases limited number Jimnys with factory fitted OffRoad kit. These limited number Jimnys in nice OffRoad kit can be the best marketing strategy for the vehicle to bring in the desired bookings or orders by all wanna be enthusiasts.

Plenty of OffRoad kits are available in Japan, with whom Suzuki can tie up to release limited number of Jimnys in India.

This is how many legendary vehicles were born right from the factory levels. VW Golf GTi, E30 M3, Jeep Rubicon, Ford RAPTOR etc. were born.

No wonder OEMs have TRD, M, AMG, SVT etc. to churn our limited number, most sought after "Special Addition" and high performance vehicles.

Drive Safe and Keep Safe.
Parm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 21:24   #624
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=8RJ3JONrSK4
How incredible is it for Doug to start the video with "the coolest little off roader in the WORLD'! It takes an era for an automobile manufacturer to produce a car that more than qualifies as a cool car throughout the world. With Jimny being a cheap car as it is, it makes it even cooler because it is a cool car that average joes can also afford. Sharing parking spots with Ferraris is a huge feat achieved by this cool yet capable off roader. I just wish they name it the Gypsy when it gets launched in India. It would be an emotional point for all Gypsy enthusiasts and lovers.
I also hope that if someday it actually gets launched in India, there is no flash sale like Doug mentions in the video in Mexico of the Jimny. A cool car launched and not available any more after say 1 hour of launch will be extremely disheartening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

Suzuki will find it hard to price it economically in India, and Indians will find it hard to digest a 3 Door Jimny hardtop (remember the export surplus 3door zen)!
IIRC when the old Baleno was being launched a market survey suggested a very positive sales performance prior to the launch.

When the Swift was being launched the same survey company suggested a lacklustre performance.

The sales numbers now show that the market survey was totally baseless. The company was TNS, one of the better and leading market research companies. I hope I'm being correct here as I'm putting this based on memory.

My point is, it is incredibly difficult to guess market sentiment in India. Great products fail here sometimes and flawed products make a killing sometimes. Jimny being Jimny, fingers are crossed.

Last edited by Sheel : 19th June 2021 at 06:52. Reason: Mod note attached.
Fuldagap is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 07:27   #625
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny Lite : Cheaper, Stripped-back Jimny with steel wheels and no-frills interior coming soon.

Quote:
Suzuki has announced the new 2021 Suzuki Jimny Lite for Australia, which will lower the entry price for Suzuki’s popular pint-sized off-roader.

It is so far unclear how many examples of the Jimny Lite Suzuki plans to ship to Australia. The new variant would “definitely bring down wait times,” which currently sit at 6-8 months.

As the name suggests, Suzuki has cut back on standard equipment for the Jimny Lite, with changes inside and out.

Most notably from the outside, black 15-inch steel wheels replace the current 15-inch alloys.
Other exterior differences include plastic-textured side mirror covers, halogen projector headlights and no fog lamps.

The Jimny Lite will also get a more basic in-dash radio/CD player, in lieu of the 7.0-inch infotainment display in the current Jimny.

The 1.5-litre four-cylinder petrol engine carries over for the Jimny Lite, which makes 75kW/130Nm.

However, the Jimny Lite will only be available with a manual transmission.
Pricing for the 2022 Jimny Lite will be announced on 1 August 2021.

Quote:
While production of the Jimny is ramping up in India – including a five-door turbocharged variant – can confirm that the Jimny Lite will be built in Japan.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th June 2021 at 07:30.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 23:43   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Suzuki Jimny Lite : Cheaper, Stripped-back Jimny with steel wheels and no-frills interior coming soon.

Pricing for the 2022 Jimny Lite will be announced on 1 August 2021.

Link
Jimny Lite, could be a Ute for down under!

Jimny 5Door would use that extra power with 1.5T engine.

Good going by Suzuki!
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 16:11   #627
BHPian

Jimny sold about 83K units world wide in 2020. That's about 7000 units per month! Also this seems to be the best ever numbers by Jimny. New gen Jimny sales might have crossed 200K units since 2017. Suzuki could have done a better planning regarding the mass production of this SUV with a global debut and manufacturing in India from 2017 itself, lost opportunity.
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-20210630_143134.jpg
Link
TorqueIndia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 07:39   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
How are these shortlisted.. they didn't include Wrangler or Defender 3 door in it.
Old 1st July 2021, 08:43   #629
BHPian

Suzuki Jimny compared with old version Thar!

Source- Rushlane
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-017bca3c5c3a46779f16374a626fa332.jpeg  

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-945aadb843b84870a8743a1c07b7bb5a.jpeg  

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-95684f39b5fa420eb952d3fdebfd0011.jpeg  

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-46adfe658dd0490c8ce8e1ea591a4f26.jpeg  

car_guy1998 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 09:31   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Suzuki Jimny compared with old version Thar!

Source- Rushlane
They can make it in India, but Cannot sell it in India
This is one Vehicle that can make me sell my 2014 Thar for!!!!
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks