Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2021, 13:04   #661
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh101 View Post
I was absolutely in the same camp as you until I started looking at it more objectively.
I have to begin with saying, I agree with you.

If the Jimny is priced at par or god forbid above the Thar, its game over for Maruti.

If the Jimny is priced significantly below the Thar, I am interested and am sure many others will be as well.

The question is, will they? What kind of ball park pricing is expected and how will it compare with the 5 door Thar?
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 13:17   #662
Senior - BHPian

Couldn't keep waiting endlessly so I got a Pajero SFX in the interim. Now I can wait a bit longer for MSIL to make up their minds. Either ways I think they waited a bit too long to launch the 3-door in the market at a premium price. Now that opportunity is gone with the superior offerings from Kia, Hyundai and even our own Mahindra.

Hardcore enthusiasts are few and far between and no product can sustain on such a small market with fractured brand loyalties and expectations/requirements. For me the space of the Fortuner/Pajero cannot be compromised for getting a 4wd drivetrain. The Jimny is just too small for most.

I will probably still consider getting one at some point but I am not longer eager to be at the head of the line when/if they do start taking bookings. The Pajero will suit me just fine and I got it for the price of a Wagon R automatic.
gsferrari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 14:07   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Couldn't keep waiting endlessly so I got a Pajero SFX in the interim.
Congrats! How was the search and how difficult was it to find a decently maintained and non-tampered odo sample?

I have been seriously thinking about getting a 2012 model to replace one of my cars.
Old 25th August 2021, 14:07   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
If the Jimny is priced at par or god forbid above the Thar, its game over for Maruti.

If the Jimny is priced significantly below the Thar, I am interested and am sure many others will be as well.
Oh, that's right. Up until now I was picturing the current gen Jimny as we know it in its 3-door guise coming in, say well under a million rupees.

I realise this is a speculative thread about the 5-door Jimny. And yes, even that can't be priced near the (current) Thar or that's just plain hara-kiri on Maruti Suzuki's part.

I.. honestly don't have anything to say about the 5-door Thar let alone how or where they'll price it at. The XUV7OO has flipped the script and now nothing seems appropriately priced anymore. Will it be paired next to the coming Scorpio? Will it just be a cruder, even more rugged and abuse friendly version of that, or a redesigned, lengthened Thar? If yes, will it be priced that way too, a notch below the coming Scorpio? If yes and knowing that the 7OO starts at 12L, where does the Scorpio fit in? And where will the new Thar?

And what breathing room will that leave any other brand for any of their offerings, big or small?

Interesting times.
Old 25th August 2021, 15:36   #665
BHPian

I will be in the market for a mild off-roader with max GC in a couple of years. Driving on Maharashtra roads outside city limits is almost veering into off-roading territory with no improvement in sight.😔

Really hoping Suzuki bring the 5 door Jimny next year and price it reasonably and below the Thar. Because the Thar price has been increasing steadily and the 5 door Thar might be over-priced unless Mahindra pull an XUV700 on that as well. But still the reliability, worry free nature of the Suzuki with the excellent after sales service of Maruti tilts the game in Jimny’s favour. Heck I would even take the 3 door version, if not a 5 door if priced similar to the international version. Please Maruti, just launch the damn thing!
Old 25th August 2021, 16:10   #666
Senior - BHPian

I have looked at Jimny prices across the world and the average price is hovering between 18000 usd to 25000 usd. That is about Rs 14 to Rs 20 lakhs.

The Jimny exported from India to Peru, Ecuador, Chile, South Africa all sell for Rs 15 to Rs 20 lakhs. Now of course since we are exporting CBUs to other countries, the respective import duties would jack up the prices everywhere. Especially when you consider that Jimny is right now being manufactured only in Japan and India.

Now I wonder at what price can Maruti sell the Jimny for in India. It is quite possible that the Jimny manufactured in India also comes with a high degree of imported content and the factory cost of the cheapest Jimny might be not less than Rs 10 lakh.
avishar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 19:10   #667
BHPian

Myth Debunked: The image circulating is a 2 door version

With the help of some google translate and wiki, in about 15 mins, the myth is debunked. the Google streetview snapshot is taken near a Cosmo petrol station in Suzuka, Japan.

Exactly here.

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-screenshot-20210825-153404.png

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-screenshot-20210825-153855.png

Enjoy!

Last edited by carthick1000 : 25th August 2021 at 19:20.
carthick1000 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 22:33   #668
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

The present one is the 4th Generation Jimny introduced in 2018. We had the 2nd Gen Jimny by the name Gypsy a long way back. I hope Suzuki goes by even numbers (2,4,6, etc) and brings this 4th Gen to India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Now I wonder at what price can Maruti sell the Jimny for in India. It is quite possible that the Jimny manufactured in India also comes with a high degree of imported content and the factory cost of the cheapest Jimny might be not less than Rs 10 lakh.
These are the prices & specifications of Jimny in Indonesia. The Jimny starts from approximately 20 Lakh Indian Rupees. The K15B Petrol Engine is the same thing found in the Vitara Brezza with a Torque of 130Nm which I think is a bit low for an off roader.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-screenshot_20210825163833.png  

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-screenshot_20210825160648.png  

Last edited by CarNerd : 25th August 2021 at 22:58.
CarNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 19:02   #669
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
With the help of some google translate and wiki, in about 15 mins, the myth is debunked.
Thank you so much brother. That 4-Door Picture looked so horrible, that I couldn't believe any manufacturer would even think of launching something so disproportionate. Am glad it turned out to be fake click-bait news article.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 08:41   #670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Torque of 130Nm which I think is a bit low for an off roader.
Torque as a stand alone metric doesnt give the full picture. Here is a quick comparision of the dimensions of 3 petrol offroaders - Jimny(Japanese spec), Old Gypsy and All New Thar.

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-jm2.jpg
Source: Outlook and TBHP

You can clearly see that the thar is ~10% bigger than the Jimny in all respects. What that translates to is a massive 60% difference in weight

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-jm1.jpg

While the Torque per Ton of the Thar is pretty high, the car will need that kind of force to ensure that it can negotiate the terrain and move the vehicle from standstill. Whereas, the light weight and smaller dimensions of the Jimny ensure that the measly 130NM of torque delivered by the K15B is more than enough for it to negotiate just about any terrain. Here is one video which show how easily the Jimny can keep up with the best of the best.

Last edited by procrj : 27th August 2021 at 09:08.
procrj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 10:45   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Whereas, the light weight and smaller dimensions of the Jimny ensure that the measly 130NM of torque delivered by the K15B is more than enough for it to negotiate just about any terrain.
I see your point but I just wished it had more torque from the same engine like Honda's 1.5L which has 145Nm of Torque. Keep in mind that the price of Jimny is a bit more than the Honda City in Indonesia.
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 11:05   #672
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Honda's 1.5L which has 145Nm of Torque.
I would rather forcus on torque delivery instead of the torque figure. Same engine in different tunes can feel very different. Case in point is the K15B in XL6 and S-Cross are tuned differently.

Quote:
Keep in mind that the price of Jimny is a bit more than the Honda City in Indonesia.
Unfair to compare the price of a ladder frame 4*4 with a transfer case + related hardware to a mechanicaly simpler monocoque sedan.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 14:54   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Unfair to compare the price of a ladder frame 4*4 with a transfer case + related hardware to a mechanicaly simpler monocoque sedan.
I agree but you can compare the Jimny to similar vehicles like the Thar or the discontinued Force Gurkha. Their prices range from 10 to 16 lakhs ex-showroom. They are equally capable, bigger and more powerful than the Jimny, more comfortable on-road too. Jimny can be a good value for money if it's priced below 10 lakhs.
CarNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 22:04   #674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I agree but you can compare the Jimny to similar vehicles like the Thar or the discontinued Force Gurkha. Their prices range from 10 to 16 lakhs ex-showroom. They are equally capable, bigger and more powerful than the Jimny, more comfortable on-road too. Jimny can be a good value for money if it's priced below 10 lakhs.
If not, it’s doom and a product failure on the cards for Maruti. No chance it will be a best seller for anything more than 12-13 lakhs on road.
Old 2nd September 2021, 18:25   #675
Distinguished - BHPian

2022 Suzuki Jimny: Launch to be earliest in Q1 2022, but not later than Autumn of 2022 (Japan)

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-1666458.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-1666463.jpg

- Releasing in Japan
- Developed based on the overseas version of Jimny and the Jimny Sierra in Japan.
-The total length is extended by 300 mm from the Sierra to 3850 mm
-The overall width remains unchanged at 1645 mm.
- The wheelbase is expected to grow from 2250mm to 2550mm.
- There is likely to be no change in the total height and minimum ground height.

Render:
Quote:
The front grille was changed to a plated line with three horizontal lines to appeal for more elegance. The bumper design has also been changed to a more three-dimensional design, and there is a possibility that a powerful underguard will be attached accordingly. The finish is also expected to be a wide-sized urethane tire house guard tailored to the long body.
Powertrain:
Quote:
In addition to 1.5-liter in-line 4-cylinder gasoline, the powertrain is also a powerful hybrid of a 1.4-liter in-line 4-cylinder turbo + electric motor, and the maximum output can be expected to be about 150 ps
Quote:
The safety equipment is equipped with the latest version of the company's "Safety Support", and about 20 latest equipment such as "dual sensor brake support", "dual camera brake support", and "radar brake support" protect the long body firmly.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd September 2021 at 18:30.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed