Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2021, 11:06   #706
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Teaser 2 to the SUV (Jimny?)!

Quote:
Another sighting of the wild adventurous ride! It’s making its way through terrain after terrain. The question still remains, which car is this?
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 555
Size:  55.6 KB

Teaser 1 and 2

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-n1.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th October 2021 at 11:33.
volkman10 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 11:41   #707
Senior - BHPian

I hope it’s not decked up Spresso with larger air dam, bigger wheel arches with black padding running across the length and breadth of the car to prove how capable, economical it is on / off the road to tackle Punch

Jimny is a nice looking small 3 door jeep. But I don’t think it can be compared to the mighty Thar or Gurkha because of its Petrol engine. I believe it would be present in the market just like the legendary Gypsy co-existed with bigger jeeps like Bolero, Safari etc
gururajrv is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 12:18   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
Personally I would want Maruti to work on the front look of the car. Right now it is too cute for an off-roader. Suppose you go on an off-road meet with your buddies, who brought their Thars and Gurkhas. You would look like a guy dressed in pink t-shirt and pink trousers with pink socks peeking through (not that it is a bad thing but family members may not agree). If they make it just a little bit macho looking that would be great. I would love to own a truly fill-it-shut-it type proper off-roader.
This is the very thing that sets the Jimny apart from other SUVs, it does not look that its going off to fight a war. You are right, it may look you are the guy wearing pink but does it matter? In the end your ability matters not your looks, Jimny can go toe-to-toe with a Toyota Land Cruiser in off-road, what more do you need?

Regarding its looks there are lot of accessories available worldwide for Jimny and I am sure they will come to India soon enough with its launch. You can check some of them here.

Oh and yeah this looks pretty aggressive right?
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-screenshot.png
Black_Star is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 12:21   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
I hope it’s not decked up Spresso with larger air dam, bigger wheel arches with black padding running across the length and breadth of the car to prove how capable, economical it is on / off the road to tackle Punch
This reminds me, Maruti was also testing a supposedly more premium WagonR (rumoured to be named XL5). I think it’s a meek possibility it could be that or the Vitara.
If this does end up being the Jimny, it has to be because of the Thar.
akash_v12 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 12:50   #710
BHPian

After watching the 2nd teaser, it feels like Maruti is teasing the Vitara (Not Brezza). Maybe it will come with turbocharged petrol engine, 4WD and terrain modes. Maruti doesn't like to take risk, considering Baleno RS and S Cross 1.6L were discontinued, Maruti will not again take risk with all new Jimny. If Vitara is launched then it will sell like hot cakes, considering Maruti's marketing power.
BMW_Fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 13:16   #711
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Fan View Post
After watching the 2nd teaser, it feels like Maruti is teasing the Vitara (Not Brezza). --
Next gen. Global Vitara is under development, to be longer and will arrive only in 2022, hence the teaser to it can be ruled out.

LINK (Next-generation Suzuki Vitara caught. EDIT: Now launched in Europe)

The mid-SUV for India is a joint development with Toyota and it is too early for a teaser on that too.

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th October 2021 at 13:17.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 13:46   #712
BHPian

I believe when Jimny finally hits our shores, it will be with the same "GYPSY" nameplate as earlier.

Gypsy has built a strong brand recall and fan following which will be foolish to throw away (aka Tata using the Safari connection).
GreenerPlanet is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 13:56   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
Personally I would want Maruti to work on the front look of the car. Right now it is too cute for an off-roader. Suppose you go on an off-road meet with your buddies, who brought their Thars and Gurkhas. You would look like a guy dressed in pink t-shirt and pink trousers with pink socks peeking through (not that it is a bad thing but family members may not agree). If they make it just a little bit macho looking that would be great. I would love to own a truly fill-it-shut-it type proper off-roader.
That's exactly what's so good about the Jimny, that it's cute and lovable but also capable and fun to drive. I don't understand the obsession with "macho" looks (whatever that even means), but that's why we have such ugly (and not even particularly intimidating looking) cars in India. We need to accept that we're a very dense country (like Japan) and we need small, cute cars (like the Kei cars); we are not like the US with big freeways and open land, where we can have huge trucks and SUVs. The large SUV craze that's taken hold in India is one of the worst developments, from the point of view of congestion, pollution, everything.
karanddd is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 15:00   #714
Senior - BHPian

It appears they read GTO's recent thread and woke up from slumber. Good. Now just hope it's not S-presso with massive wheel cladding.
amol4184 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 16:11   #715
Senior - BHPian

I don't take anymore surprises from Maruti. Accordingly, it can be the Jimny or who knows, it might even be the facelifted Alto, ripping the sands of Saharan dunes, primarily because the Alto can and heck Maruti Suzuki can.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 19:44   #716
BHPian

This thread was started on 10th August,2019 and after 2 years and 3 months, there are 2 substantial posts relevant to this thread are made ! Unless and untill Maruti Suzuki show the whole picture, no one is going to believe and this thread remains irrelevant. Sorry Maruti Suzuki but you have lost lots of credibility and potential customers because of your "limited edition" sticker job variants and these cheap marketing campaigns (Maruti now says = Diesel car costs can only be recovered after 260,000 km).
Akshay6988 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 21:22   #717
BHPian

This conversation reminds me of the "World Peace" bit from Miss Congeniality ... all waiters, waiting for the TIP. Jimny will always remain a niche product in its current avatar. Long wheelbase non-4x4 may attract family buyers looking to the Gypsy lore, but SWB 4x4 may prove to be too expensive. Only hardcore offroaders looking for a petrol engine may consider it since the new Gurkha already fills the diesel niche nicely.
Old 16th October 2021, 21:38   #718
BHPian

I believe Maruti is pressed from both ends now, By no means is Maruti going to roll out a vehicle which will bring small volumes.

At lower end we have Tata punch now which is doing absurd level of feats not expected in that price bracket when it comes to handling difficult terrain.

At higher end Thar is reigning supreme.

Maruti has to somehow manage the co-existence of Jimny, New Brezza, New Vitara (S-Cross replacement) in narrow overlaps. I don't think They are ever going to position Jimny as niche and parallel to Brezza.

Their hands could have been forced to bring one of the three solutions they have ready right now ( The key assumption here is that Jimny 5 door is not yet ready)

1. Launch Jimny 3 Door and grab the light by the time more practical Jimny 5 door is ready. - Bring it on.

2. Bring the international S-Cross AWD variant to India. - Fill the void left by Duster AWD and to some extent Ecosport

3. Bring the international Ignis AWD variant to India. - Give a punch back to Tata

I know I am expecting too bold a decision from Maruti but hey if they pick any of these three choices they will really disrupt the market.
darkLightning is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 21:49   #719
BHPian

Especially since the success of the new Thar, Maruti (or Mr. Bhargava) must be really naïve if they don't bring the Jimny here citing lack of demand. Thar has made it easy to them and has already created a market for a 2 door, four-wheel drive mini SUV. It's now time for Maruti to give Mahindra a tough competition and another worthy option to us consumers.

I have already watched at least 10 Jimny videos on Youtube ever since Leoshashi posted the teaser here, and I believe this car will do well in India and might also improve Maruti's brand image to some extent.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 22:20   #720
Senior - BHPian

I am sure it is the upgraded Brezza which is slated for a Diwali launch. Fingers crossed it is the Jimny.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks