Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2022, 15:01   #931
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
New renderings of the Jimny (5d)
Would you choose the 3d or 5d variant?
]
Lovely little thing!
My Heart says 3D. And Heart + Head says 5D. In this case the latter option is better. Very clearly.
This vehicle, with the proper 4WD system, will be the absolutely perfect go-anywhere grand-touring vehicle with a small footprint, for a family of two and perhaps a dog plus good amounts of luggage. Its inherent weight savings, smallness and frugality of engine, translating to decent fuel efficiency, will offer the consumer a superb option as compared to the Mahindra Thar BS6 Petrol. (Speaking as a Thar Petrol owner.)
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 16:44   #932
BHPian

From spy shots and renderings, it looks like that the wheelbase of 5-door is indeed longer than 3-door version and it definitely reduces the current breakover angle, if they don't increase the ground clearance. However, longer wheelbase is better for straight line stability at higher speeds.

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-pe_img07-1.gif
carthick1000 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 20:10   #933
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
, it looks like that the wheelbase of 5-door is indeed longer than 3-door version and it definitely reduces the current breakover angle, ]
Even the 5 door Wrangler loses a little of the breakover angle advantages that the 3 door Wrangler has.
The same will be the case with the 5 door Mahindra Thar vs the 3 door one. And of course in the case of this new Jimny too. The longer chassis will increase the breakover angle. There is no getting away from that. But what we will get in exchange is much increased day to day effective useability and practicality. I think it is a fair trade off.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 21:30   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The longer chassis will increase the breakover angle. There is no getting away from that.
Not if they increase the ground clearance. But let's wait and watch what trade-off's we get in the final product.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 21:44   #935
BHPian

Quote:
However, longer wheelbase is better for straight line stability at higher speeds.
I think it can potentially solve one of the weakness of Jimny. Most reviews have mentioned that its bit unstable in highway due to crosswinds, mainly because its shaped like brick. But increasing the wheelbase and weight will solve the problem.
Black_Star is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 10:19   #936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From spy shots and renderings, it looks like that the wheelbase of 5-door is indeed longer than 3-door version and it definitely reduces the current breakover angle, if they don't increase the ground clearance. However, longer wheelbase is better for straight line stability at higher speeds.

Attachment 2336543
All major 4x4 vehicles designed for rough terrain, have at least two versions
. Short wheel base
. Long Wheel base

The shorter vehicle is for really rough terrain while the longer wheel base is for more comfort/load on mild terrain.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 11:42   #937
Distinguished - BHPian

If I had to choose between ADR angles (Approach, Departure, Ramp Over), I'd always give more priority to Approach and Departure.

Ramp/break over can still be managed by changing the line and taking an angled approach, suspension lift or bigger tyres.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 12:54   #938
BANNED

The 5-Door is not at all bad looking. Its a default automatic choice when it comes to capacity for stowing luggage. I hope the rear comes with captain seats so that rear left passenger seat can be removed for stowing extra luggage on expeditions. Need that one rear seat for my pet dog to look out of the window.

Last edited by Ragul : 22nd July 2022 at 12:55.
Ragul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 16:46   #939

From what I know it’s going to be a front wheel drive. So much for the angles.
starlord is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd July 2022, 19:11   #940
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlord View Post
Jimny is not front wheel drive, its normally back wheel drive with 4wd capability.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 19:25   #941
BANNED

Quote:
Please quote the source for your claims. Is the Gen4 FWD in the rest of the world? Avoid making bogus claims...
Ragul is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 03:36   #942
BHPian

Quote:
I can see both axles With a differential in the 5 door mule, a RWD version is more likely to be as an entry level Jimny than FWD, actually, the gypsy / samurai / Jimny 2, was sold in 2wd RWD in some markets
Old 25th July 2022, 06:10   #943
BANNED

Maruti's considering the needs of the average Indian buyer here by offering the Jimny 5-door in India, I would have personally preferred the 3-door, it looks much better to me.
Old 25th July 2022, 08:20   #944
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeparvathy9 View Post
Maruti's considering the needs of the average Indian buyer here by offering the Jimny 5-door in India, I would have personally preferred the 3-door, it looks much better to me.

Usually everyone likes the 3 door’s looks. And everyone professes to love the 4WD ability and all. But when it comes to purchase, most people will prefer plonking their money on the 5 door for its practicality and on plain old 2WD if the option is available, instead of 4WD.

As an example, when my Dad was in the tea estates they used to change their Mahindra Jeeps every 4-5 years. Even then (1970’s, 1980’s and 1990’s) the dealers used to always say that more than 90% of all the Mahindra Jeeps being sold were in the long wheelbase 2WD avatar. And many of these would be with Roplas and similar aftermarket FRP or fabricated metal hard tops.

For example the CL 500, CL550, Marshal, Marshal Royale, Armada etc. This was the truth of the demand in urban, semi urban and rural India then.
It hasn't changed all that much now. Because for 90% of the use cases, 2WD does the job. And 5 doors long wheelbase is necessary for the people carrying ability.

The 3 door Thar is actually a bit of an ‘avant garde’ phenomenon in this new age world and I am reasonably sure that a significantly higher proportion of new Thars which have actually been booked, sold and delivered , are to consumers conforming to the urban ‘yuppie’ segment, who are seeking a ‘lifestyle’ vehicle. So things are changing, yes, but it still will take time.

Even if you look at a developed market like Australia or the US where leisure off roading has been more of a main stream activity than it ever has been so far in India, you will see the bias in sales towards the Wrangler Unlimited in various trims more than the 3 door Sport. Its a fact. Practicality and useablility wins every time.

So Maruti’s decision, as a mass market manufacturer, is influenced much more by sheer commerce and economics than it is by esoteric ‘art’. They will always go to serve the greater number with a product of mass appeal.

I too wish, that they would also consider serving the enthusiasts and even if they want to charge a premium and/ or increase the waiting time, that should still be ok. But they wont, because managing small ‘customised’ production runs are a lot more trouble and a lot more expensive to do. It also causes interruptions which in turn causes down time and thus, de optimises their production and profit making capacity. This applies to any mass production set up.

Sad. But the world is run by bean counters and hard nosed businessmen and not by dreamers, artists or enthusiasts with soul.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th July 2022 at 08:21.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 13:56   #945
BHPian

Jimny as Jimny would be most welcome .
But not as a FWD 1.0AMT Mileage version.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks