Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2022, 10:50   #961
BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermensch View Post
I feel quite the opposite. Gone are the days when lesser than practical vehicles made no sense to the Indian market’s sentiment, and we had to junk lifestyle vehicles (RIP Mitsubishi Lancer). The thar is a fine testimony to buyers being eager for unconventional products, and the Jimny’s small size is the major contributor to the charm. I am really happy knowing there are no indicators of an only 5 door launch (and weak indicators of the vehicle launching, at all ) , and I would gladly buy the 3 door over 5 if its an option extended to us.
Purely as a lifestyle vehicle yes the 3 door Jimny would have enough people interested that MSIL will sell about 900-1200 units a month consistently as the demand for a lifestyle SUV has been growing for a few years now but why stop there?

The 3 door Jimny is only a lifestyle product, something that is by design supposed to be a second car that shares garage space with something more practical like a sedan or a 5 seat SUV. Developing a 5 door version with space for adult passengers in the second row and boot space to carry a decent amount of luggage means that they can market it as a rugged alternative to other 5 seat SUV's in the 10-20 Lakh price bracket like what Mahindra is doing in the 15-30 Lakh price bracket with the Scorpio-N and XUV700. A 5 door variant means that MSIL can market it a legitimate family friendly SUV instead of being just a niche product for lifestyle buyers and enthusiasts.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 17:51   #962
Senior - BHPian

The Latin American market has just got a more adventure-ready version of the Suzuki Jimny called the ‘Jimny Sierra 4Sport’.

It is a limited edition of the three-door SUV, as the carmaker is offering it in only 100 units.

Quote:
Exterior changes include blue highlights, ‘4Sport’ and ‘4x4’ graphics, and a roof carrier.

Inside, it gets blue accents on the seats, around the AC vents and gear shifter, and a ‘4Sport’ badge.

It’s powered by a 1.5-litre petrol engine; gets Suzuki’s AllGrip Pro 4x4 drivetrain.

Approach and departure angles revised from 37 to 31 degrees and 49 to 40 degrees respectively compared to the standard model.
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20220727175610_chrome.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20220727175626_chrome.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20220727175644_chrome.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20220727175657_chrome.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20220727175718_chrome.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20220727175748_chrome.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20220727175803_chrome.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20220727175816_chrome.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 27th July 2022 at 18:00.
Venkatesh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 19:06   #963
Distinguished - BHPian

Sure looks the part

Attached the brochure at the end of this post.

Some bits I translated from the brochure to understand more about this variant.

Quote:
  • Exclusive personalised luggage compartment
  • Leather steering wheel with personalised stitching
  • Tubular rockslider, personalised door crimp and new graphics on the sides
  • Personalised snorkelling
  • Customised panel and skid plate
  • Hooks positioned on the front and also the rear of the vehicle, all with the colour of this special series: blue
  • New set of black piano wheels and tires, Scorpion MTR, Pirelli brand Seats with premium coating, 4Sport embroidery and blue details

Rest of the stuff

• Automatic transmission
  • AllGrip PRO system with reduced and differential lock
  • Chassis under bodywork with rigid axles and coil springs
  • Hill Hold Control (HHC) and Hill Descent Control (HDC)
  • Multimedia with 7" touch screen, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
  • Air conditioner
  • Halogenous headlights
  • Front airbags (driver and passenger)
  • Brakes with anti-locking system (ABS) and electronic brake force distribution (EBD)
  • Brake Override System (BOS)
  • Stability Control (Electronic Stability Program ESP)
  • Collapseable pedals
  • Height-adjusted steering column
  • Steering wheel with audio commands
  • 1.5L motor with aluminum block, 108 HP of power and 14.1 kgf.m of torque
  • Headlights of fog
  • On-board computer
  • Manual air conditioning
  • Traction control
  • External mirrors with electric regulation
  • Electric windows with express rise (driver)
  • Keyless input system
  • USB input and coasters in the centre console
  • ISOFIX - 2 points
  • Chromed internal knobs
  • 4x4 traction with reduced - coupling 2WD - 4WD up to 100km/h
  • 2WD = 4x2 rear traction, 4WD = 4x4, 4WD-L traction = reduced 4x4 traction
Attached Files
File Type: pdf jimny-sierra-4sport.pdf (1.11 MB, 220 views)
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 20:45   #964
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

How did they manage to change the approach and departure angle? Just by changing the bumper?
Old 2nd August 2022, 20:13   #965
Distinguished - BHPian

The Suzuki Jimny family, possibilities:

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-1.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cgcppt9r...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd August 2022 at 22:33. Reason: As requested.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 05:12   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The Suzuki Jimny family, possibilities:

Attachment 2341146
Except the Pickup I think the other 3 are completely viable variants that could be put into production, we've already spotted the Jimny Long/Jimny LWB test mules.

The Jimny Cabrio or Jimny Soft-top is a natural evolution for any dedicated off-roader, the current 4th gen model is the only Jimny ever to be hard top only.

The Samurai might be a 4x2 variant.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 00:24   #967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
Except the Pickup I think the other 3 are completely viable variants that could be put into production, we've already spotted the Jimny Long/Jimny LWB test mules.

The Jimny Cabrio or Jimny Soft-top is a natural evolution for any dedicated off-roader, the current 4th gen model is the only Jimny ever to be hard top only.

The Samurai might be a 4x2 variant.
There's some shops converting jimnys to pick Up at the moment, don't think it's unrealistic, in fact, can be the most realistic of them all

This one sold in Australia by Suzuki dealers, supposedly It got official warranty

Name:  suzukijimnypickup11584615319.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  30.1 KB

This One modified and sold in UK

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-suzukijimnypickupshropshirequads2020670701588498327_1.jpg

And remember, Suzuki themselves made a concept car pick Up

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-suzukijimnypickupstyleconcept4.jpg
wacso is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 07:22   #968
BHPian

I seriously wish to own a 3 door jimny every time I see a picture. But, I am in the wrong country.
ajayc123 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 10:23   #969
BHPian

My patience completely exhausted, friends unsubscribing this Jimny thread.

RIP Jimny
Vinod_nair is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 11:16   #970
Senior - BHPian

Carnet entry LHD Jimny review by Autocar India.

Last edited by Venkatesh : 13th August 2022 at 11:40.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 12:12   #971
Distinguished - BHPian

The 'most anticipated' launch from Maruti Suzuki in 2023 - The Gypsy?

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-capture.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th August 2022 at 12:14.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 12:17   #972
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
I seriously wish to own a 3 door jimny every time I see a picture. But, I am in the wrong country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
My patience completely exhausted, friends unsubscribing this Jimny thread.

RIP Jimny
This is like lusting after an Urmila or Katrina and not realizing that she is unattainable... because they are in a completely different stratosphere. However having been a teenage boy myself once in my life, I feel both empathy and sympathy for you.
The only road to inner peace I can recommend is perhaps learn to appreciate the homely qualities of an Alto or a Swift Dezire and settle down into being the normal regular guy?
Ragul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 12:39   #973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
However having been a teenage boy myself once in my life.
Not sure about the other guy you quoted, but thank you for the compliment, at least I still think like a teenager, even though I had lost that status long long long time back.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 13th August 2022 at 12:42.
Old 13th August 2022, 15:25   #974
BHPian

Good idea to buy a Swift, put rally style AT tyres on it, jack up the suspension and pretend it's a Jimny
Old 13th August 2022, 16:35   #975
BHPian

Quote:
I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate here and say that MSIL has a perfectly valid reason for not launching the 3 door Jimny here in India. It simply will not sell.
I'm thankful that there were more passionate people at Indian companies like our own Baba, Behram Dhabar, who managed to push through the Thar and proved that every car doesn't need to be a family car to be a success. Mahindra built on that and now their 2nd Gen Thar is a runaway success, with more orders than the company can handle. This, despite it being under-equipped and overpriced (IMO). Mahindra had to spend good money on R&D and develop the vehicle especially for the Indian market, as they couldn't sell it globally due to the Jeep brand suing them.

Whereas, MSIL has been building the vehicle in India and selling it globally, using the same Engine and gearbox that they have been offering across its entire lineup. All they had to do was homologate it. Ten years ago, what you say might've been true. But today, MSIL decision makers must be blind and deaf to not perceive all the interest generated in the Jimny.

Quote:
The 105hp 1.5L engine (the same one that powers the Brezza and XL6/Ertiga twins) is more than enough to chuck around the 1100kg Jimny on the trails but the key point is space. In the 3 door Thar space is limited and it's not practical but you can squeeze in 2 adults in the rear seats for a city trip or short highway journeys while the Jimny has rear seats only a small child could fit into and a pathetic boot space of 85 Liters (only 5 Liters more than the Tata Nano).
Why do you assume that the typical Jimny buyer will be buying it as a single do-it-all car? You can't sell a Jimny to someone who wants a practical hatch, or a compact SUV or an MPV, or even a sedan. But then, MSIL already has N number of hatches ranging from 3 lacs to 12 lacs, 2 compact SUVs, 2 MPVs and a sedan, for people who are looking for practicality. The Jimny is a serious offroad machine according to Suzuki, that happens to have a few creature comforts like an AT gearbox and climate control. Same as the Thar. People who buy the Thar or Jimny or Gurkha know what they're getting into, that they'd be making compromises. Of course the Jimny is less spacious, but then it is a smaller car that costs less.
If I already had a family car like a sedan, hatch or CUV, the Jimny would be the perfect weekend getaway vehicle, or even a daily office commuter, with its small size. It probably can't be the only vehicle for a lot of families, but I have a small child who is likely to remain a small child for the next 7-8 years at least, and for me and several others like me, it would be an okay compromise. Currently, the only option for them is the Thar, which has undoubtedly swept up some potential Jimny buyers every year.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed