Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2022, 08:23   #1006
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Spotted somewhere in Bombay
What registration did it sport? Indian plates doubtful.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd August 2022 at 08:40. Reason: Very minor edits. Spacing and punctuation.
Old 23rd August 2022, 09:02   #1007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Looks like it is the same car which came from the middle east (carnet). You can see some sticker in Arabic on the rear windshield.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 12:43   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The sticker on rear glass is a dead giveaway it is the same carnet entry Jimny.
Old 26th August 2022, 23:05   #1009
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Quote:
Had the opportunity to check out a 5 door Jimny during a market research event in Bangalore. It was a lovely dark blue colour shod with 195/80 R15 alloys (Bridgestone Duelers). The length is exactly same as the Thar (sub 4m) but the wheelbase is much better. Ingress and egress was a breeze both front and back. There was a lot of chrome in the front grill (globally it is black) and the rear tail lamps integrated into the rear bumper looked a little out of proportion. Overall the car looked a lot smaller than the Thar. The steering was lovely to hold and the 4H/4L lever was nicely placed below the 5 MT lever. The front power window switches were next to 4WD lever.

Wish they had got the 3 door version instead, otherwise with the 102ps/130Nm (1462cc engine) it is neither here nor there.

Looking forward to a proper test drive in the near future.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd September 2022 at 20:36.
Aditya is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 00:06   #1010
BHPian

Quote:
Had the opportunity to check out a 5 door Jimny during a market research event in Bangalore. It was a lovely dark blue colour shod with 195/80 R15 alloys (Bridgestone Duelers). The length is exactly same as the Thar (sub 4m) but the wheelbase is much better. Ingress and egress was a breeze both front and back. There was a lot of chrome in the front grill (globally it is black) and the rear tail lamps integrated into the rear bumper looked a little out of proportion. Overall the car looked a lot smaller than the Thar. The steering was lovely to hold and the 4H/4L lever was nicely placed below the 5 MT lever. The front power window switches were next to 4WD lever.

Wish they had got the 3 door version instead, otherwise with the 102ps/130Nm (1462cc engine) it is neither here nor there.

Looking forward to a proper test drive in the near future.

When was that? Do you have pictures? Was it a final post production version? I'd love to know more

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd September 2022 at 20:37.
ubermensch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 02:27   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
The Thar is 3,985 mm L x 1,820-1,855 mm W x 1,844-1,896 mm.

The 3 door Suzuki Jimny is 3645mm long, 1645mm wide and 1725mm tall.

To me it appeared that the vehicles were intentionally positioned for photography to create the same size illusion in the first two pics, but the 3rd pic gives away the reality.
The Jimny (length wise) is approx 1 ft smaller, or 1 wooden scale smaller than the Thar. In the last image of all the pics posted, it can clearly be seen to be reflecting so. The images are not deceiving at all IMO.
Old 28th August 2022, 02:41   #1012
BHPian

Re: A Blue Beauty | Our 2021 Skoda Superb L&K | Ownership Review

Jimny all by itself is an excellent product. But comparing to thar!!...I will not commit that crime.
It is something like comparing a Creta to a ScorpioN. Both are Suv (that is what most people say)...Thar vs Jimny not fair!!...vehicle capabilities aside.
Indepth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 06:02   #1013
BANNED

Having seen the Jimny abroad, it looks tiny in comparison to the cars on the road. But I guess we are getting the 5-door here which ought to make it much larger. I personally would have preferred the 3-door. The compact stature adds to its appeal.
Old 28th August 2022, 06:58   #1014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
The Jimny (length wise) is approx 1 ft smaller, or 1 wooden scale smaller than the Thar. In the last image of all the pics posted, it can clearly be seen to be reflecting so. The images are not deceiving at all IMO.
That's what I said too, in the last sentence, that the third picture shows the reality. Thanks for calling out the dimensions clearly, to eliminate any iota of doubt that is being created in the first two pictures. However, I will rest my case here.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 28th August 2022 at 07:02.
Old 2nd September 2022, 10:18   #1015
BANNED

Thanks for this post. Good to know that the 5 door version is a reality, hope to see leaked images soon. The 1.5NA may not be a monster but it is no slouch for our roads. It does its duty well in Brezza. I am considering Brezza to replace my ageing Ritz. If the Jimny had decent highway manners like well contained body roll and comfortable seats I will ignore Brezza and go for it.

I am not bothered if it looks as big as the current gen Thar. People who will be buying Jimny are not the same as Thar owners. A good amount of Thar sells for street cred and road presence but Jimny has carved out its own segment worldwide for its looks and capability. The previous gen Thar CRDe had lot of 'Willys' DNA, but the current gen has more 'Wrangler' aspirations than 'Willys'

Drawing parallels to the wrist watch market, 'Thar' is a homage version of the 'Wrangler' like the homage watches (say Invicta, Sturling) to the Rolex Submariner watches. Affording a Rolex is not practical but a homage watch will look like a Rolex and will have most of the capability.

But Jimny is like a Seiko Diver (say Tuna or SKX) or even GShock -> Japanese putting their own spin focusing mostly on function and letting the market decide its value.
tarmacnaut is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 10:59   #1016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacso View Post
If we remove the wheel arch completely, and make a narrow wheel track, a Thar will be, if not equal, smaller than Jimny.

Those are my thoughts.
While your logic seems fine, the numbers say a different story

The Jimny's track width is 1395mm (front) and wheelbase is 2250mm. For the Thar, it is 1520mm and 2450mm.

With the pretty considerable differences in these two measures, becomes difficult to logically presume how a Thar can be of the same size as a Jimny, no?

Last edited by ph03n!x : 2nd September 2022 at 11:23.
ph03n!x is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 11:27   #1017
BANNED

Quote:
Ingress and egress was a breeze both front and back. There was a lot of chrome in the front grill (globally it is black) and the rear tail lamps integrated into the rear bumper looked a little out of proportion.
Thanks again for this insider post. How was the seat design/ comfort (headroom/legroom) in the rear? Is it similar to compact SUVs currently in market or more like Thar?

How was the boot space? Did it look ok or non existent?

And how did the extended rear end look is it like the below render or something different?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img_20220902_112610.jpg  

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd September 2022 at 20:38.
Old 2nd September 2022, 11:50   #1018
BHPian

Any concrete news on Jimny unveiling in India?

I am in the midst of some car buying/replacement decision chaos.
I own a Thar Diesel AT Hardtop, but 5 door car needs are catching up fast. I do have a introductory price booking for the Scorpio-N but that's a Z4 D AT so No 4X4 this time. Also have booked a Grand Vitara Zeta AT Mild Hybrid because Daily commutes are super short.

If I do get some proper information related to Jimny 5 door in India, I will happily considering the Jimny 5 door as a replacement for my Thar 3 Door.

Or maybe just drop the plan of replacing the Thar 3 door and get a Hatchback?

P. S: I was eyeing the Jimny well before buying the Thar but Maruti Suzuki never bothered to launch it so went with the Thar.

Old 2nd September 2022, 11:54   #1019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Here is his review of the 3 door Jimny:

Attachment 2347692

It is the proper successor to the Gypsy which served as a compact yet fun off-roader but unlike that old Gypsy, the new Jimny also comes with modern luxuries.
If I am correct, Jimny has got rigid axles at both front and rear, which translates to be more abuse friendly than the vehicles with IFS such as Gurkha or Thar ??

PS: I do remember the fact that Gurkha Extreme also had rigid front axle with 140hp engine.

Regards,
MB4DI

Last edited by MB4DI : 2nd September 2022 at 11:55.
MB4DI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 16:29   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
Had the opportunity to check out a 5 door Jimny during a market research event in Bangalore.

Oh man, how cool. Did you get a pic? Still wondering what the 5 door would look like.

Totally understand the pragmatism of launching a 5 door here in India but I too wish they would launch the 3 door. Lovely, compact ride for a specific target audience who value performance and understatedness over bling. Would totally separate it from the Thar as a positioning. Saw a couple of 3 doors scooting through traffic in Thailand recently and they looked absolutely mint! I would love one of those.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd September 2022 at 20:38.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks