Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2022, 21:44   #1051
BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

They would have launched it long back if that was to be the case. I saw a video sometime back of the their Sales/ Marketing head talking and I cant think of any reason but for the fact that it is simply more profitable to export them when countries like Australia have a huge waiting list.
IB290 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 23:25   #1052
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post

Maybe Maruti should just do a one time exception and do a special batch 3 door production for the Indian fans against firm bookings. I am hopeful, it will get a huge response to justify the batch. What do you think guys?
This option MSIL could have very easily taken and sold a thousand units every year without bothering for homologation even. I believe there is a provision for manufacturers to sell 1000 imported cars without homologation. CORRECT ME IF I AM

But the people at MSIL are such enthusiasts that only selling a few lakh cars per year is their one and only moto.
Drlmtukkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 05:10   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
The gypsy is the LWB version of the SJ410 and the LWB version was also sold in Spain, Thailand, India, Australia and many other countries. Some markets also had a pick up version which was even longer.
As far as i know, the pick up ones, were made with the stock samurai/gypsy body, but with a piece of Fiberglass behind the front seats to close the back, and these cars, share the chassis with the "chassis-cab" versions

You also got the 4x2 versions from indonesia, or the diesel and turbodiesel from spain, With power steering from the factory

About the new Jimny 5 door, in my dreams, It has a powerful engine, but i really don't believe suzuki transforms the jimny into one of the most powerful cars in his worldwide lineup, just, imagine a Jimny with more power than the Swift sport!
Old 11th September 2022, 09:09   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I guess many of us will opts for the 4 door Jimny if it's the only one that comes with the 1.4L turbo engine. If it's also available on the 3 door than that will be my pick for sure. I'll just get rid of the rear seats and make it a 2 seater with cargo space
While many of you are iching about the 1.4 litre turbo petrol , as far as the boffins at Maruti are concerned lets safely assume that the 1.5 litre K15C with mild hybrid technology to be placed in the 5 door jimny with the new 6 speed AT or Manual transmission as the most logical choice .
Old 11th September 2022, 10:27   #1055
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img_20220911_101617.jpg
45BHP

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img_20220911_101756.jpg
60BHP

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img_20220911_101814.jpg
80BHP

The Gypsy came with these 3 engine options and all offered much less power than the engine options available now. I see many posts about the possible engine availability in Jimny. So will the Jimny still be underpowered if launched with the 1.5L K series engine and not the 1.4L Boosterjet? I don't think so. The Jimny will perform wonderfully with 1.5L K series engine for what it is intended for. It's not supposed to be a pocket rocket. It's a go anywhere nimble small SUV. Let's hope it gets launched soon.
BoneCollector is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 12:02   #1056
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
[=== So will the Jimny still be underpowered if launched with the 1.5L K series engine and not the 1.4L Boosterjet? I don't think so. The Jimny will perform wonderfully with 1.5L K series engine for what it is intended for. It's not supposed to be a pocket rocket. It's a go anywhere nimble small SUV. Let's hope it gets launched soon.
Considering the International Suzuki Jimny uses the K15B engine, it makes perfect sense for Maruti to continue to offer the K15B or K15C engine when the Jimny finally launches in India. My only gripe is that India is getting a larger wheelbase 5-door rather than the 3-door.
Old 11th September 2022, 13:00   #1057
BHPian

Looking at the current car pricing by Maruti Suzuki (Brezza) or expected price of Grand Vitara Mild Hybrid (After Hyryder Mild Hybrid price reveal, which is extremely overpriced to me).
Jimny if available with 4x4 AT (which Maruti should consider offering right from the beginning), will be 18-20 lakhs on road?

If price this high, I don't see any logic to replace my Thar D AT with a Jimny 5 door 4x4 AT.

C'mon Maruti, atleast give some proper information on Jimny launch. I waited for it since 2020, Bought the Thar eventually in 2021.
Old 11th September 2022, 13:24   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Looking at the current car pricing by Maruti Suzuki (Brezza) or expected price of Grand Vitara Mild Hybrid (After Hyryder Mild Hybrid price reveal, which is extremely overpriced to me).
Jimny if available with 4x4 AT (which Maruti should consider offering right from the beginning), will be 18-20 lakhs on road?

If price this high, I don't see any logic to replace my Thar D AT with a Jimny 5 door 4x4 AT.

C'mon Maruti, atleast give some proper information on Jimny launch. I waited for it since 2020, Bought the Thar eventually in 2021.
TBH, there is no point replacing Thar with Jimny in any case - you are replacing like for like with less power and road presence.

Primary reason to consider is if you think Thar is too cumbersome (heavy steering, lumpy ride), then you may want to consider Jimny because it seems nimble and compact.

I personally think that either Thar or Jimny best form a part of 2/3 car garage, when it is not your only, even primary, drive. But the thing with such ‘cool’, lifestyle vehicles is that you’ll see a varied buying pattern among customers I guess….in a way, there one for everybody. If Maruti can launch that is!

PS: is the news even confirmed that the 5 door is coming is still speculation/best guess?

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 11th September 2022 at 13:27.
Old 11th September 2022, 14:23   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
You are replacing like for like with less power and road presence.

Primary reason to consider is if you think Thar is too cumbersome (heavy steering, lumpy ride), then you may want to consider Jimny because it seems nimble and compact.

PS: is the news even confirmed that the 5 door is coming is still speculation/best guess?
Yes, Like for Like with less power. I will be ok with less road presence.
But main point is replacing my 3 door Thar with a 5 door Jimny, both 4x4 and AT (only if available)
Because the other 4X4 AT nearby is the ScorpioN 4X4 AT which is a lot more expensive.

No strong information yet about Jimny launch in India.
Old 11th September 2022, 18:15   #1060
BHPian

As far as I know maruti will try to compete with thar on the pricing, loyalty and reliability front. They will surely launch a 2wd version for poser guys at an affordable price which will definitely hurt Thar sales and the sales of other cars in that price range as well. As per my knowledge maruti will price the base variant below 10 lac for sure. Even mahindra should launch a base variant of thar with 1.5L diesel from xuv 300 which can give people tax benefit, good mileage and a cheaper option as well.
Old 12th September 2022, 16:02   #1061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post

The Gypsy came with these 3 engine options and all offered much less power than the engine options available now.
The carburettor version of Gypsy King was also 82 or 81 BHP. This was prior to the MPFI version introduced in 2000.
Old 12th September 2022, 16:14   #1062
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
The carburettor version of Gypsy King was also 82 or 81 BHP. This was prior to the MPFI version introduced in 2000.
No. Having had owned all the three variants at various points in the last 25 years or so, the facts are below.
The original carb gypsy MG410 made 45bhp.
The MG413 Carb gypsy made no more than 65 bhp.
It is only the MG413 MPFi gypsy which makes 82 bhp.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 16:36   #1063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
No. Having had owned all the three variants at various points in the last 25 years or so, the facts are below.
We owned the carburettor version 1998 Gypsy King from '98 through 2012. It'll be great if you can share the scan copy of the owner's manual. The specs are there to see. The BHP was 82 or 81 mentioned there. We gave away the owner's manual too while parting with the Gypsy.

This has been discussed elsewhere on Tbhp many times too with members sharing the same info as yourself.

I tried correcting the info on Wikipedia many times many years back but to no avail.

Last edited by Fuldagap : 12th September 2022 at 16:37.
Old 12th September 2022, 16:43   #1064
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
We owned the carburettor version 1998 Gypsy King from '98 through 2012. It'll be great if you can share the scan copy of the owner's manual. The specs are there to see. The BHP was 82 or 81 mentioned there. We gave away the owner's manual too while parting with the Gypsy.

This has been discussed elsewhere on Tbhp many times too with members sharing the same info as yourself.

I tried correcting the info on Wikipedia many times many years back but to no avail.
I d love to see those manuals myself but I gave them all away whenever I sold the vehicles.
If you remember the Esteem, the 1.3 carb ones used to initially give us about 65 bhp and then briefly in the late 1990’s came the 85bhp version. And the Mpfi version returned about the same.
Old 12th September 2022, 17:00   #1065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Quote:

Well, Shankar Balan is correct when he says that power was 45bhp (1L engine), then 65bhp for carburetor one (1.3L engine) and then 80bhp for the MPFI one. I reckon the Gypsy shared engines with the Esteem. You can read details in this thread (Maruti Esteem - One of the most respected nameplates in India's automotive history).
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks