Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2019, 15:53   #31
BANNED

re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Why do people like the Jimny so much? It doesn't appeal all that much to me. Am I missing something here?

Think of it as a more refined thar with a Petrol engine. (with the uncertainty around diesel, nobody except people like me, who know they will drive a lot will pick up a diesel).
simeonovitch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 18:19   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
Think of it as a more refined thar with a Petrol engine. (with the uncertainty around diesel, nobody except people like me, who know they will drive a lot will pick up a diesel).

No way. I have seen it and fiddled with it in Dubai in April this year though it wasnt available for a test drive then.
It is way way better than a Thar in terms of refinement, fit and finish. And yes, this was a Petrol and this is exactly the same vehicle they should bring in to India if the Lords and Maruti permit it.
This particular one was jazzed up with ironman suspension and was showcased as a tough little off roader in keeping with that market.
It is a superb little thing and if it were to come to India in an avatar like this, I would replace my Yeti with this immediately.
It is the perfect go anywhere vehicle for 2 persons, a dog and some luggage.
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565700106.086551.jpg
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565700123.542032.jpg
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565700141.190198.jpg
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565700153.867317.jpg
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565700165.859341.jpg
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565700183.601841.jpg
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565700193.551906.jpg
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565700204.270053.jpg
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565700217.790492.jpg
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565700229.697236.jpg
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565700242.559592.jpg
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565700253.927473.jpg
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565700267.961609.jpg
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565700303.412487.jpg
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565700318.727728.jpg
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565700331.208224.jpg
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1565700347.517075.jpg
shankar.balan is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 19:49   #33
BHPian

I fail to understand why Maruti Suzuki has been dilly dallying with the plans to launch the Jimny in India. On paper, this seems to be the perfect car for our roads, be it cities or rural areas!

Of course, I do understand the current trims with 4X4 options will cost upwards of INR 15L when it does reach our shores and frankly there will only be a minuscule market for that amount of money. And, MSIL of all people will never dare to see their data sheets in the red nor will they be brave enough to import a limited number like VW did with the Polo GTi although, the latter seems to be a possibility going by this thread.

But the question remains, how many of us would be able to access the Jimny/Gypsy if it is priced beyond imagination!? I think, an MQB-A0-IN spin off would be the best way to go if MSIL wants to sell the Jimny off to the masses and make money. Honestly, 90% of the market does not need 4X4. A simple, rugged machine with a small footprint to tackle the city jams and rural 'kuccha' roads, that looks good will be enough, methinks. I'm sure MSIL has a big parts bin to source from and build an India spec mass market Jimny, doesn't it!?
Old 13th August 2019, 20:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

Anyone who is wondering why Suzuki hesitates to bring Jimny here should have a look at the sales charts. They sell cars in 10s of thousands, not in thousands. Beginning of the year, Suzuki had 6 models which were selling more than 10 thousand and out of that 2 sold in the range of twenty thousand. For them to make an investment, they need that kind of volumes. Otherwise that effort is better spent on some other tin can which can sell in ten thousands. Is there anyone who thinks Suzuki can sell 10 thousand Jimnys every month ?

Enough of logic;I sincerely hope Nikkei is right and they do bring Jimny here. May be they are worried about the automobile slump and are happy with whatever volumes they can get now.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 20:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

While I understand what the Jimny is all about, there are two factors. One, I highly doubt it Suzuki would ever bring the Jimny in its true form, all grip mechanicals and all that. When even proper SUVs like Harrier and the likes have avoided 4 x 4 due to a lack of demand, I do not see Suzuki trying out the all grip versions. And secondly, Suzuki is known to offer whats just adequate and get away with it, at least in India. So do not really expect a segment defining car like Jimny in its true form. Also, Suzuki India is known to use one platform and engine combos across many products. So not sure if the Jimny platform can spawn any future products from them.

And secondly, the price. If the Jimny were to be launched, we can safely say that the bare minimum pricing would be above the Brezza, so something like the Creta territory. And that is full of new cars such as the Seltos, Hector, even the Harrier and the 2020 Creta. So how would a car like Jimny find its footing here?

To me, it makes better sense for Suzuki to chase after a Creta / Seltos rival, possibly the Grand Vitarra, at about 15-18 lakhs on road. That is a segment that Suzuki does not want to miss out!
Old 13th August 2019, 20:17   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

To be honest - the real reason why I think MSIL isn't bringing the Jimny is based on these -
  • Its a complex machine. Being the best A-S-S provider for run of the mill KITNA DETI HAI cars is now easy for MSIL. It wlil be a different ball game come Jimny.
  • Finding a large amount of technically skilled staff for sales and proper after sales service for a unique vehicle is hard. Especially given the potential volume of orders that will flow in.
  • Retaining that staff will be the biggest headache & constant retraining after attrition etc will be fairly costly. The engineer/mechanic who services an Alto will not always be able to service a Jimny
Absolutely not, Jimny is no more complex than say an Endeavour or Fortuner from current generation. So a normal dealer workshop with the usual new product training will be more than capable to handle this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Is there anyone who thinks Suzuki can sell 10 thousand Jimnys every month ? .
This is the main reason! Maruti is stuck in volume business syndrome and that eventually might bring more doom to the brand right now. In this tough market situation and well informed generation as buyers, they better start changing their traditional positioning. Like I said earlier, they have a huge potential with Nexa positioning international model and Indian utility version following up through regular dealership, maybe with "Gypsy 2" tag.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 20:29   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Absolutely not, Jimny is no more complex than say an Endeavour or Fortuner from current generation. So a normal dealer workshop with the usual new product training will be more than capable to handle this.
I was referring to the "volume" part that comes with a Suzuki badge. Maruti won't launch this car in India if it sells in the numbers like the Endaevour or Fortuner. I presumed the launch would be followed by thousands of customers making a beeline.

If that happened - I meant that the service staff would also be required in proportionate numbers for this car. By usual proportions, I presume Suzuki will sell 10 Jimnys per Endaevour here. Otherwise it doesn't fit their business model we know.

Even the Gypsy didn't really set the charts on fire due to its creature comfort gaps. So the influx of damaged cars coming for service was fairly low & there was little to fix in that engineer's dream car!

Last edited by Reinhard : 13th August 2019 at 20:33. Reason: Restructured.
Old 13th August 2019, 20:40   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
To me, it makes better sense for Suzuki to chase after a Creta / Seltos rival, possibly the Grand Vitarra, at about 15-18 lakhs on road.
Hmm, when Grand Vitara stopped selling many years ago, the ex-showroom price was 23L. How do you expect 15-18L on-road after all these years?

Last edited by Samurai : 13th August 2019 at 20:41.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 21:38   #39
BANNED

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India? Nikkei says so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
I

Honestly, 90% of the market does not need 4X4. A simple, rugged machine with a small footprint to tackle the city jams and rural 'kuccha' roads, that looks good will be enough, methinks. I'm sure MSIL has a big parts bin to source from and build an India spec mass market Jimny, doesn't it!?

This bit I agree with. Even in the 1980's my Dad and his colleagues on the Estates were some of the few people who ordered and waited and received a 4x4 Mahindra.

The demand for 4x4's as a pure utility vehicle has always been low in India though I do not understand why.

Probably because the 4x2 more or less takes the owner/ user mostly wherever they need to go and thus 4x4 is superfluous. Especially because the prices and waiting times have always been higher.

The Gypsy which was never offered in 4x2 was only kept afloat all these years by virtue of the Army, Air Force, Police and other para military forces but precious few Civilians really plonked their cash down for one.

But now, with the rise of adventurism and lifestyle
needs, it would indeed be a good thing if Maruti allowed the entry in a 'niche' oriented manner, of a sharp little AllGrip 4x4 like the new Jimny while allowing the vast majority to choose and buy the 4x2 version if they prefer it.

After all, no other manufacturer has the clout and the distribution and the service network coupled with the blind trust of the masses the way Maruti has.

This simple fact equips them like no one else, to experiment.

However, whether their risk averse bean counting management will allow them to indeed experiment, is another matter entirely...

Last edited by shankar.balan : 13th August 2019 at 21:40.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 00:17   #40
BANNED

Jimny must be given with a diesel engine version as well. You cannot get sheer bottom end torque with petrol engines. 4WD vehicle without low end torque is of no use.
Old 14th August 2019, 06:52   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hmm, when Grand Vitara stopped selling many years ago, the ex-showroom price was 23L. How do you expect 15-18L on-road after all these years?

As far as i know, the Grand Vitara which was sold years ago was not 100% made in India. It was either a CKD or a car with very low level of localisation. Also, im not saying it has to be the Grand vitara, Im saying something around that size, which can take on the Creta, Seltos, Hector and even the Harrier.
Old 14th August 2019, 08:33   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King View Post
Jimny must be given with a diesel engine version as well. You cannot get sheer bottom end torque with petrol engines. 4WD vehicle without low end torque is of no use.

Diesels are great for low end torque for sure.
But check out some of the Youtube videos on the new Jimny's trail driving and off road prowess.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 09:00   #43
Senior - BHPian

I think Maruti will make a fabulous profit on the Jimny. And if they get it, they wouldn't price it cheap. They should get it with a proper 4x4 and compete with the Thar. A well-specced car can demolish the Thar.

Only because of the existing customer base, M&M would pump in resources to develop a car. Maruti should take that as a hint and bring the car. The amount of disposable income amongst middle-class Indians has gone up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
One, I highly doubt it Suzuki would ever bring the Jimny in its true form, all grip mechanicals and all that. When even proper SUVs like Harrier and the likes have avoided 4 x 4 due to a lack of demand
Mahindra made an AWD SUV to prove their prowess and also started some rallying events to market their car. Not too many go off-roading with their big SUV as many of the hardcore trails are designed for small jeeps, they may use them in touring once in a while. Also, the potential repair bills for large SUVs are pretty high.

The Jinmy might be an expensive car, but I think Suzuki can make parts cheaply available.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 09:13   #44
Senior - BHPian

I for one have never touched Maruti; have never even visited their showroom to check out what is been offered but am definitely going to consider Jimny if it is launched with AWD. I am equally eager if Ford can close out on this opportunity by offering EcoSport with AWD which is being produced for other markets.

Frankly speaking, desperate times desperate measures and I am amazed that Ford is not even thinking of offering AWD EcoSport to its Indian customers when their present sale is stable between 3500 - 4000 copies per month. They can definitely double the sale just by offering AWD trim as there is no competition in the segment.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 09:49   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

News from the Japanese Media:

Quote:
Although the release has not yet been finalized, production in the Indian market is tentative
Quote:
Competing model, it seems that Mahindra's next-generation "THAR' and Force's next-generation "Gurka" are targeted.

- SMC-India could begin production of a right-hand-drive variant at its Gujarat plant.( including exports to certain markets)

- Jimny Sierra Variant 'JC' is the one for India and to appear as the 2nd generation " Gypsy"

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-1.jpg

Quote:
LED projector headlamps and headlamp washers, 15-inch dark metal alloy wheels, 7-inch touch screen infotainment system, auto air conditioning, cruise control, 6 airbags, ESP, dual sensor brake support, lane departure Alarms, daytime hold control, hill descent control, TPMS, etc. are standard

- Equipped with a 1.5L K15B inline 4-cylinder engine that delivers a maximum output of 101ps and a maximum torque of 130Nm.
The transmission can be selected from either 5-speed MT or 4-speed AT.

- Pre-orders obtained ( Army?)

- To contain price and reduce import duties, Jimny will be manufactured at SMC -Gujarat

- Estimated price at INR 7-8 lakhs

- Arriving in end 2019 ( could be units for 2020 Auto Expo?)

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th August 2019 at 10:01.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks