Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2019, 23:15   #16

re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Since the said article focusses on the rural use of the Jimny, would we be getting a stripped out variant, or does Suzuki have any remote plans to offer this as a proper lifestyle vehicle?
sourishganguly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 08:56   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Rural variant and jimny.. In India! Will most likely be a stripped version of the EECO with a loading bay at the rear.

We all know Maruti too well in India guys.. Dont get your hopes up. Though i would love to be proven wrong.
Red Liner is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 12:05   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

The Jimny is the first product from the Suzuki stable that I am excited about in a long long time. Given the very compact dimensions, high seating and good all round visibility, I think Maruti Suzuki can comfortably target female drivers as well as young first time drivers who are looking at an easy city runabout to go to work. A 3 door automatic could do very well as a second car in our crowded cities and be perfect for weekend grocery shopping runs as well.

If Maruti Suzuki can give us the following variants, they could easily bump up their flagging sales.
1. Base version with manual and optional AMT variant (its Maruti, lets not fool ourselves into thinking we will get a CVT)
2. ABS and 2 airbags standard
3. 4WD variant with basic features for offroaders on a budget
4. Maruti being Maruti will sell a top end 4WD ZXi at a prohibitively expensive price as well and still have buyers.

I think there might even be a market for a 4WD variant with AMT and all bells and whistles of Android Auto / Apple Carplay etc for those who want the convenience of the AMT from Monday to Saturday and 4WD for some cheap thrills on Sunday. Some people might take the plunge thanks to the safety net of the Maruti Suzuki badge. I understand that the automatic gearbox might be considered a sacrilege for the old time offroaders but even the new Thar appears to be providing this as an option to potentially bring in a new generation of buyers into the clan.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 12:17   #19
BHPian

Suzuki motors, please get a 3 door version. So when are bookings open?
Its a ladder on frame chassis and a very heavy car 1300 kgs for its size.

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 12th August 2019 at 12:20.
Old 12th August 2019, 20:49   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Suzuki Jimny in 2018

Today:

https://www.news18.com/news/auto/mar...t-2267197.html
Old 13th August 2019, 12:08   #21
BHPian

Why do people like the Jimny so much? It doesn't appeal all that much to me. Am I missing something here?
nikhilthegunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 12:24   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Why do people like the Jimny so much? It doesn't appeal all that much to me. Am I missing something here?
It is utilitarian yes, but quite capable for the small size and package. Hopefully Maruti would price it sensibly?!

Previous generation Gypsy was also as simple as it gets, and was one of the most reliable vehicle one can get their hands on. Even with heavy offroad abuse, all it needed was a visit to the workshop, do the regular service and replacement of broken bits... and it was back into business as usual.

So why does it not appeal to you at all?
Jaggu is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 12:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
It is utilitarian yes, but quite capable for the small size and package. Hopefully Maruti would price it sensibly?!

Previous generation Gypsy was also as simple as it gets, and was one of the most reliable vehicle one can get their hands on. Even with heavy offroad abuse, all it needed was a visit to the workshop, do the regular service and replacement of broken bits... and it was back into business as usual.

So why does it not appeal to you at all?
Yes I fully agree with your observations about Gypsy but to me it seems that with Euro VI kicking in and allied gadgetry (which is now comment and also expected even in the mass market machine); the same amount of simple mechanical and electrical setup will be missing and we should expect some complexity and sophistication even in Jimny.

Let's hope MSIL keeps the DNA intact and offers a capable "light on pocket" 4 wheel drive for the masses. I see no issues in the present three door trim too. They can test the waters with minimal cost and then take a call for longer wheelbase version.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 12:49   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

The news is "Maruti Suzuki is speculated to be developing a new SUV based on the Jimny Sierra"

Why 'based on' the Jimny & why not "The Jimny" ?

I think Maruti Suzuki India might mess this up if they try to re-invent the excellent new gen Jimny & make a 4 door variant, styling changes, add sunroof (for Indian audience), AMT etc...

We deserve the SAME EXACT JIMNY & not some derivative / platform sharing experiment.

Fingers Crossed !
karan561 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 12:58   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Why 'based on' the Jimny & why not "The Jimny" ?
There are chances that the current 2-door 4x4 Jimny will be made for export markets, as the overseas markets are seeing huge demand and waiting period, and Japan is the only place where it is manufactured now.

If we don't get that version, we can expect a 4m 5-door version with only the RWD option.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 13th August 2019 at 13:27.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 13:16   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
The news is "Maruti Suzuki is speculated to be developing a new SUV based on the Jimny Sierra"
=======
We deserve the SAME EXACT JIMNY & not some derivative / platform sharing experiment.
Same here I sure hope it is the latter that comes first and not some cooked up, barebones long wheel base model, which will be grossly underpowered with the smaller engine. The current model would be a perfect city run about and can fit in well in the small premium SUV line up under Nexa brand, positioned just below Scross.

If they are running after volumes, they should consider a bare bones 5 door derivative which will cater to such a utilitarian market and under 7-8 lakhs. But then with petrol engines, the penetration would be minimal in those markets. Or they will have to shoe horn the 1.5 DDIs engine, but am pretty sure that may not be an easy task with the limited engine space and safety norms.

Having said all this and knowing how MSIL operate, launch would be first miracle and then what they finally come up with

Honestly I somehow don't have much hope on either, after waiting for more than a decade for the Jimny!
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 13:27   #27
BHPian

Seeing what Maruti has come up with in the past, I'm not wasting my time waiting for the Jimny. My money is ready for the new Thar.
sachinwadhwani is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 13:39   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Because -
  1. It drives like any other compact SUV in city. Very easy.
  2. It drives like NO other such daily use car when we leave the beaten road. Insanely capable off-road this thing.
  3. Its quite fuel efficient.
  4. It looks something that strikes the right chord for us. At least those who were born in the era of open top Jeeps and cars with manual gear shifters sticking out of steering columns!
  5. It is relatively affordable for what it offers.
  6. It is quite welcoming for DIY enthusiasts who like to get hands and knees oily.

Even with its brilliant proportions & classic looks - looks are not the first reason to buy the Jimny. Its the capability under them.

If it comes here - it will be the only car that we can take to office daily & take for serious off roading as well without any modification. I say that even with the next THAR on the horizon. Come what may, the new THAR will still not have the praciticality & quality in the cabin like the Jimny for daily office use.

Last edited by Reinhard : 13th August 2019 at 13:41.
Reinhard is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 15:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, I would just take this with a pinch of salt unless there is some confirmation from reputed publications like ACI or Maruti itself.

Yes they have spare capacity at Gujarat, but there was a recent report online that Maruti will NOT be using that spare capacity soon as there is lack of manpower.

Anyway, lets see, if the Jimny Sierra comes to India the way its sold abroad, I will mostly be one of the first 500 (if not 100) customers to pick one up.
fx45 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 15:53   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
but there was a recent report online that Maruti will NOT be using that spare capacity soon as there is lack of manpower.
1700 people are available at Nissan! MSIL should check . Nissan just laid them off! Lack of manpower is such lame excuse really by MSIL there. Lack of orders is the real reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Anyway, lets see, if the Jimny Sierra comes to India the way its sold abroad, I will mostly be one of the first 500 (if not 100) customers to pick one up.
Likewise. I have already made up my mind long time ago to immediately get rid of the AltoK10 as the 2nd car in family and replace it with the Jimny! Easier for the ladies to drive also.

To be honest - the real reason why I think MSIL isn't bringing the Jimny is based on these -
  • Response will be overwhelming. Too many customers. Its a good thing for sales of course, but not after that always.
  • Its a complex machine. Being the best A-S-S provider for run of the mill KITNA DETI HAI cars is now easy for MSIL. It wlil be a different ball game come Jimny.
  • Finding a large amount of technically skilled staff for sales and proper after sales service for a unique vehicle is hard. Especially given the potential volume of orders that will flow in.
  • Retaining that staff will be the biggest headache & constant retraining after attrition etc will be fairly costly. The engineer/mechanic who services an Alto will not always be able to service a Jimny

Of course - this isn't the prime reason probably. But I'm sure the bean counters have this bean on the table too. A fiasco after launching it and messing up the A-S-S often will result in brand damage and impact on volume products also. This can be the risk they are evaluating in addition to other factors.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by Reinhard : 13th August 2019 at 15:56.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks