Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2019, 15:01   #91
BHPian

re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Hope sale picks back up for new cars as Indian Auto Industry has the worst ever recession
Old 21st August 2019, 17:45   #92
Vmv
BHPian

The fourth generation Suzuki Jimny has been strongly anticipated for the India launch since it made its official debut in late 2018. And Maruti Suzuki has now hinted at Jimny's arrival in the country, as per Auto.NDTV.

Fourth-gen Suzuki Jimny to be launched in India as Maruti Gypsy.

Source: https://m.indianautosblog.com/suzuki...-gypsy-p318231

Image source : Google Image
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-suzukijimnylead1.jpg  

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-dsc_8670.jpg  

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-images.jpeg  

Vmv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:07   #93
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
Ah! Finally a reliable cheap off-road vehicle. The Thar and Bolero are too crude for an urban setup! ...
If priced well, I am ready to sell a hatchback for this car, even if its a 2 door! This is a very practical car!
This car must be priced within 6 lakhs to be in the consideration of any class of buyer. A tight stretch to 7 Lakhs might be help it eke out a score among a few guys who can live with that premium. From the way Maruti has been doing things, we can expect the car to be priced out of contention at 11+ Lakhs.

Please prove me wrong Maruti.
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:20   #94
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
This car must be priced within 6 lakhs to be in the consideration of any class of buyer. A tight stretch to 7 Lakhs might be help it eke out a score among a few guys who can live with that premium. From the way Maruti has been doing things, we can expect the car to be priced out of contention at 11+ Lakhs.

7 lakhs!!! :shocked

The gypsy cost as much as that.
The brezza costs more than that.
The Jimny is going to be about the same size as a brezza.
Plus 4x4 kit is not cheap.

I'll be elated if it's 8.99 ex-showroom
simeonovitch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:49   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post

The Jimny is going to be about the same size as a brezza.
Plus 4x4 kit is not cheap.

Haha. It will likely be priced at a premium to the ecosport. I doubt it will come in very many variant guises etc. It will likely be one car, buy it or leave it.
Old 22nd August 2019, 16:00   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is a likely price for the 3 door entry level model, if international prices are considered (Its priced at a slight premium to the SCross, for example).

But since we are getting the 5 door version - I guess 9.99 may be a good starting price to expect.
Old 22nd August 2019, 16:16   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This is a likely price for the 3 door entry level model, if international prices are considered .
Quote:

Oh my god, i have been drooling for almost 2 years now, let there be an official announcement first. Then we can discuss feature listings and price-list. I like the 3 door one, be it 7.99 , 8.99 .... 12.99

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd August 2019 at 09:46. Reason: please avoid sms language. 3 dr = 3 door
Old 22nd August 2019, 18:40   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That is really wishful thinking. Even Gypsy was 7L+. Jimny is rumoured to be at or above Brezza level. So be prepared for 10L price range.
Old 22nd August 2019, 19:33   #99
Senior - BHPian

If it's coming as a 5-door which incidently none of the current Jimny markets have, it would probably be positioned as the Nexa equivalent of the Brezza which means that pricing would be close as well - most probably in the 9 - 12L bracket.

I do not see the current 3 door Jimny selling in India at this price point. Even with a lower pricing a 3 door is very hard to sell in India. The Zen Carbon is the only 3 door I can remember in this segment and that's going back a long way.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 22nd August 2019, 19:43   #100
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
This car must be priced within 6 lakhs to be in the consideration of any class of buyer.

The Gypsy itself costed more, the Jimny additionally has AC, Power steering, ABS, Air bags, central locking and other bits. The Short wheel base Jimny is still heavier then the long wheel base Gypsy. So there is no way it will be priced less then 10 lakh (for 4wd version).
Old 22nd August 2019, 20:47   #101
BANNED

I am sure that they will tone it down(not mechanically) and sell it at the 7 lakh mark to the INDIAN ARMY men who are desperately looking for a replacement to the Gypsy. There is no way the offerings of TATA or M&M are going to beat this car's Japanese-inspired build quality and off-road prowess.

They won't be bothered about their sales score in the passenger car segment and will be pricing it at 11L+ mark.

It would be great if they decide to open up selling a bare-bone version they will be supplying to the Indian army to us at a later date.

I am anxiously wishing for that to happen at the time I am starting to look for another car.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 22nd August 2019 at 20:59.
Old 23rd August 2019, 10:16   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure that they will tone it down(not mechanically) and sell it at the 7 lakh mark to the INDIAN ARMY men who are desperately looking for a replacement to the Gypsy. There is no way the offerings of TATA or M&M are going to beat this car's Japanese-inspired build quality and off-road prowess.

They won't be bothered about their sales score in the passenger car segment and will be pricing it at 11L+ mark.

It would be great if they decide to open up selling a bare-bone version they will be supplying to the Indian army to us at a later date.
If MSL wants it can sell the Jimny at a bit more than Gypsy, provided they have sufficient orders from the Government. A run of 2,000 to 3,000 per year will be enough to reduse the overheads to a reasonable amount. Mind you, Army especially, will be interested in a soft top version.

For those who argue that Hardtop, ABS, Airbags etc will increase the price to above 9L, all that I have to say is that for Gypsy the hardtop was around 20K more and ABS, Airbags in the current range increase the price by around 60K (Alto, WagonR etc), so 1L increase max.

Then there is the export RHD market that can fill the long waiting list in the International market.

On the other hand a version with 3 doors and a 600cc engine will appeal to a lot of buyers provided it is priced around 6L.

Last edited by Aroy : 23rd August 2019 at 10:21.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 11:26   #103
BANNED

One advantage Jimny will have over Gypsy is that it will have the small car tax advantage - assuming it will be under 4m in length, and will be launched with a 1/1.2L engine.

Gypsy misses the 4m length by just 1cm (4010mm!) and it uses the 1.3L petrol engine. Was always wondering why Maruti didn't cut 1cm from Gypsy's bumpers and plonk the 1.2L G/K series engine to reduce its price by a minimum of 75K to 1L.
Old 23rd August 2019, 11:30   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
One advantage Jimny will have over Gypsy is that it will have the small car tax advantage - assuming it will be under 4m in length, and will be launched with a 1/1.2L engine.

Gypsy misses the 4m length by just 1cm (4010mm!) and it uses the 1.3L petrol engine. Was always wondering why Maruti didn't cut 1cm from Gypsy's bumpers and plonk the 1.2L G/K series engine to reduce its price by a minimum of 75K to 1L.
Unfortunately, Jimny is slated to come with 1.5L petrol engine. With 1.3L diesel it could have had tax advantage but not with 1.5L Petrol.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 11:40   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
They did not do it because ... well ... why should they? By the time the sub-4m rule came in, a majority of Gypsy sales were being made to institutional buyers. Also, its list price could very easily be maintained at an acceptably low level simply because the platform was so old, all capital costs & investments had already been recouped so it would return a profit even if Maruti made one per month and managed to sell it!!

Simply put, Maruti did not care about volumes from the Gypsy in the last 5-6 years. So why bother with investing in any modifications?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed