Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2020, 09:51   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

From Car and Bike:

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-0.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-00.png

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-marutijimnyautoexpo2020suvlaunchprice2.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-marutijimnyautoexpo2020suvlaunchprice1.jpg

- The new Suzuki Gypsy/Jimny will be sold through the Nexa retail channel( differentiating it from Vitara Brezza) and will have a premium positioning

-The reigning 2019 World Urban Car of the Year may be rebadged Gypsy for India

-The car will carry a relatively high local content and so expect pricing to be relatively aggressive - higher than the Vitara Brezza, but likely lower than and at par with the XL6 depending on the variant in question.

- Engine and power train options will be as in the Global offering sold in Europe

-The company may also introduce the Gypsy/Jimny in India with the SHVS or mild hybrid system as standard - though this remains unconfirmed

- Launch expected in late 2020 or early 2021

Link

But AUTOCAR has a different view:

- Jimny is only here for display and is not due for launch.

Quote:
But before you get your hopes up, you should know that the Jimny is only here for display and is not due for launch. Maruti officials we spoke to say that, while there is interest in the Jimny, it won’t sell in the numbers they need to make the project commercially viable. A more practical five-door version has been mooted but there’s no official confirmation on the project.
Link1

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th February 2020 at 10:10.
volkman10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 10:20   #152
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling that the delay in placing the Jimny at the Autoexpo might have been because Suzuki might have displayed this at the DefExpo in Lucknow. The colour shown is a dead giveaway. And even if they didn't officially display it, they might have been showing it to the army seniors on the sidelines of the defexpo. It is a huge revenue generation for any company and the way in which our army right now needs a light petrol powered frontline SUV, I feel this would be it!

Great for us, we might get this as a byproduct of manufacturing for the military.
navpreet318 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 10:25   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Suzuki might have displayed this at the DefExpo in Lucknow. The colour shown is a dead giveaway. And even if they didn't officially display it, they might have been showing it to the army seniors on the sidelines of the defexpo.
Poor Maruti

The least they could have imported a couple of different colours and variations as they showcased elsewhere. This is how they take our market which is probably their biggest and most profitable across Globe.

It does appear to be more of a symbolic display rather than a confirmation of launch which may eventually happen when their worldwide sales dry up.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 11:06   #154
BHPian

Thanks to the color of the Display Jimny, I assume as mentioned above this car has been displayed at the Defence Expo, Maruti will do a thorough study regarding it's feasibility depending on the feedback it received from the army, they have showcased the vehicle now in Auto Expo to gauge the customer response as well.

Furthermore, I feel Maruti will be more inclined towards launching a 5 door version as it will be much more viable for our market as well as the Indian army for which they would want it to be accepted by the army or the consumers from a commercial point of view.

The Indian army before putting it's money on a product, test the vehicle heavily hence I am sure that will take a lot of time hence MS might launch it in limited numbers as a CKD maybe in the near future and if it's not given a green signal, they will pull the plug. Basically, In my point of view, Maruti will want to launch the Jimny as a replacement of Gypsy to rake in the moolah which it has been generating by the defence sales via Gypsy but if the army declines the offer, the normal consumers will either get a version of it or may not get the Jimny at all. Any which way, I don't think this car will hit the Indian showrooms anytime soon, expecting a launch if it indeed comes to India by 2021 mid only. By then, we would have the Thar new generation already in the showrooms which will take the Jimny head on.
Old 8th February 2020, 12:16   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
Thanks to the color of the Display Jimny, I assume as mentioned above this car has been displayed at the Defence Expo, Maruti will do a thorough study regarding it's feasibility depending on the feedback it received from the army, they have showcased the vehicle now in Auto Expo to gauge the customer response as well.

Furthermore, I feel Maruti will be more inclined towards launching a 5 door version as it will be much more viable for our market as well as the Indian army for which they would want it to be accepted by the army or the consumers from a commercial point of view.

The Indian army before putting it's money on a product, test the vehicle heavily hence I am sure that will take a lot of time hence MS might launch it in limited numbers as a CKD maybe in the near future and if it's not given a green signal, they will pull the plug. Basically, In my point of view, Maruti will want to launch the Jimny as a replacement of Gypsy to rake in the moolah which it has been generating by the defence sales via Gypsy but if the army declines the offer, the normal consumers will either get a version of it or may not get the Jimny at all. Any which way, I don't think this car will hit the Indian showrooms anytime soon, expecting a launch if it indeed comes to India by 2021 mid only. By then, we would have the Thar new generation already in the showrooms which will take the Jimny head on.
It is just a coincidence that the Jimny was displayed in that colour which matches Olive Green used by Indian Army!

India Army has started using Tata Xenon, Safari and Mahindra Scorpio many years back for its UN deployments duties.

Jimny does not come anywhere near the requirements of the India Army!

Anyway, Jimny has a waiting list in the UAE. I am sure India can be a good market for Jimny.
Parm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 14:40   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Market survey? Gauging public opinion? Haven't they seen everybody cry hoarse for the Jimny since so so many years. Haven't they seen the kind of love people still have for the gypsy.

It is just some stupid MBAs(I'm one too so don't get offended) making some revered excel sheel calculations over the years and telling the bosses at maruti that it won't be profitable.

Common suzuki, atleast once have a Halo Product. A capable Halo Product!!!
Spot on. They say the ones we love most, hurt us most. No country in the world loves Suzuki as much as we do. We had been literally eating out of their hands since 1984. We made Suzuki Motors into what it is today. And, this is how they repay us? Couldn't they launch one niche product among the sea of successful cars they sell? I heard they launched it even in our neighbouring Pakistan. Is it bigger market than ours? Like they say, class teacher pampers a bully more than the nerdy front bencher.

Someone commented, they don't bother if they can't sell 5,000 units a month. Really? Did they expect their Kizashi to sell 5,000 a month? Forget Kizashi. Their Baleno sedan bombed? Did it stop them from launching SX4? SX4 failed, too. That didn't stop them from launchin Ciaz. When they can launch so many sedans in already crowded segment, why can't they bring Jimny which has no peers other than Thar? Even Thar's success has not prompted them into action. Sure it will not sell 5,000 units. But there are definitely buyers for this. Childless or one-child couples, empty-nest retirees, singles, students, the ones looking for a small second car for in-city runaround and then those buying just for the heck of it because it's cute and because they can afford.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 15:22   #157
BHPian

Why is Maruti not bringing the Jimny to India given the fact that they do not have any similar product in their portfolio? It can be a good replacement for Gypsy and could do well if priced competitively.
Old 8th February 2020, 15:40   #158
BHPian

Good News (albeit with a little bit of optimism), Jimny is indeed going to be launched in India.

Timeline: 2020 End - Mid 2021.

Souce: SVP (Car&Bike), CarDekho, Zigwheels.

sechebe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 10:00   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

After displaying the Suzuki Jimny at the Auto Expo, it seems Maruti is more or less convinced on the Jimny for India, but ...

- Maruti to bring longer, 5-Door Jimny to India By 2021

- Maruti could also give it an option of 4x4 or 4x2, unlike the global model that comes with 4x4 as standard ( to make it have more mass appeal)

-The India-spec model, to be retailed from Nexa showrooms, could be priced at around Rs 10 lakh.

- Maruti could renames it ‘Gypsy’ in India.

Quote:
Maruti is looking to bring a longer, more practical 5-door version to India by 2021, insider sources have told us.
Quote:
the longer 5-door version is expected to stay within the sub-4m category.
Quote:
For those of you who like the Jimny ethos but don’t necessarily intend to do hardcore off-roading, Maruti may offer it in 2WD variant as well. This would also make the tough little SUV more affordable and more fuel efficient, thereby increasing its practicality as a city car too.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th February 2020 at 10:14.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 10:29   #160
BHPian

I don't think, there is any official communication from Maruti on this.

Why would you invest in 5 door gypsy, when you have brezza in the same segment.
shashant is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 13:19   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

- Maruti to bring longer, 5-Door Jimny to India By 2021

-The India-spec model, to be retailed from Nexa showrooms, could be priced at around Rs 10 lakh.

- Maruti could renames it ‘Gypsy’ in India.
I hope 5-door doesn't end up looking like a Bolero by the time it gets here. It's been almost 18 months since its global launch and they are still thinking? Do they need a signed undertaking from Indians that in the event of launch, we would queue up to buy? Maruti, please learn from Kia. They launched a stunning-looking Seltos and are now reaping the benefit. If he car is good, it would do well. Jimny has no peer other than Thar. When Mahindra, which sells almost 100 per cent in India, can build a new Thar ground up, what is stopping Maruti to bring an existing model here? Gypsy is a very strong brand name in India. If they sell it as Gypsy, they will see super success.
pgsagar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 13:39   #162
BANNED

As the sale of Jimny in EU markets is under scanner because of the emission norms, it should be Suzuki who is more interested in launching the Jimny in India than anyone else.

My expectations:

Increased length of 4m
Side-facing rear seats with a 2+4 seating arrangement (just like Gypsy) - thus maintaining the 3-door charm
Switchable 4x4 (because this is not a Bolero or Brezza!)
1.5 NA / 1.2L Turbo K12 engine (no 1L engine, please)
Name: Gypsy (what else will do?!)
Price: 9L for base variant

Last edited by romeomidhun : 12th February 2020 at 13:59.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 13:59   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Market Survey begins!
Quote:
Market survey? Gauging public opinion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
If the market survey is done based on the opinion of people visiting the auto expo...
So yes, I was subjected to that market survey too, and wrote about it on the Maruti @ Auto Expo 2020 thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
...I got pulled aside by a pretty girl from some market-research firm, who have been appointed by MSIL to take feedback from potential Jimny customers. She handed me a 4-page questionnaire to fill up.

Quite a few interesting questions there...
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 14:01   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashant View Post
Why would you invest in 5 door gypsy, when you have brezza in the same segment.
Because both are as similar as CHALK and CHEESE.

Because the Brezza can't play the MOUNTAIN GOAT.

Beacause the Breazza is a Family Car, and the Jimny isn't.

Rather than 5 Doors, if Suzuki can develop/launch a LWB (Long Wheel Base version that keeps the overall lenght to <4000 mm) which'll free some usable boot space without folding down the rear seats; it'll be a very interesting proposition.

Last edited by payeng : 12th February 2020 at 14:19.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 14:18   #165
BANNED

Something like this - is the lengthening modification I am looking for. (Original image source: https://www.parkers.co.uk/suzuki/jim...-drive-review/)

Name:  jim2.PNG
Views: 1310
Size:  138.5 KB
Name:  jim2_2.PNG
Views: 1286
Size:  140.7 KB

Last edited by romeomidhun : 12th February 2020 at 14:40.
romeomidhun is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks