Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2020, 17:00   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Based on what I've read about the Thar, I can conclude that it is not going to be cheap. Suzuki should capitalize on the lower end of the market and ride the wave by launching it by end 2021.
If the same engineering standard & quality of the Jimny available elsewhere is to be maintained - the Jimny itself cannot be in the lower end of the market. it will be just a tad lower than Thar maybe, but not exactly "affordable" category still. And that is fine - the car is wonderful & should find buyers at the right price without being too aggressive.
Reinhard is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 17:38   #332
BANNED

Re: Suzuki plans to make India sole production hub for Jimny

If they can avoid getting too greedy they can price it right and bury Mahindra Thar for good. I am pessimistic about them being not greedy though.
COMMUTER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 17:40   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I'm against Suzuki spoiling the lovely little Jimny by extending the wheelbase and turning it into a 5-door version.
Agree with you. I really wish Suzuki let Jimny be. I understand the dictum bigger cars mean bigger profits, but Jimny can be a good 2nd car, especially in urban areas. Work on improving the turning radius, load it with goodies and it would be the perfect work commute car to crawl in bumper to bumper traffic.
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 17:56   #334
BHPian

I have been following Jimny Updates constantly since 2008 when I was on a look out for a jeep. Bought and sold a couple of jeeps till until now. I am fed up of the fixing and maintaing jeeps. Sorry no offense meant to jeepers. Just that I am done with fixing rust and other mechanical problems.

Always wanted to buy a Jimny. But All I read about the Jimny is News and only News. Wasnt this supposed to launch in 2019 If I am not mistaken?
yamaniac is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 17:57   #335
Team-BHP Support

We can feed our entire nation, twice over, with the amount of khayali pulao (imaginary rice) Suzuki has had Indians devour by periodically dropping teasers on/off/about the Jimny and its rendezvous with India.

To it's credit, M&M has now come up with Gen 2 of the Thar while all Suzuki does is get us to lust over the prospect of the Jimny on our roads. If they just went over the Jimny threads here, they'd have go-to-market strategy years ago.

Rhetoric and enthusiasm aside, let's see some real progress before debating all things Jimny. (Talk about being a wet blanket )
libranof1987 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 22:00   #336
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I'm against Suzuki spoiling the lovely little Jimny by extending the wheelbase and turning it into a 5-door version.
If they feel that market wants a 5 door, why not? But yes, I'm against them selling only the 5 door. They SHOULD have the 3door version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
If the same engineering standard & quality of the Jimny available elsewhere is to be maintained..
Maybe I should have phrased it better - they should price it around at the price to Today's Thar - significantly undercutting the new Thar. That gives them a great opportunity to capture the market of 4x4 enthusiasts who don't want to shell out big $$$ for a Thar.
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 09:03   #337
BHPian

Maybe what Suzuki should do is have three variants of Jimny

1. Standard 3 Door - export volumes will bring the profit.
2. India specific 5 Door - launch it whenever you want it will have to compete with everything from Bolero to Scorpio for sure.
3. 2-Seater 3 Door - Remove the rear seats altogether, a perfect vehicle for couple or singles who just want to off-road, go on long trips and haul loads of luggage, it would be the perfect Jeep/ Gypsy alternative
Old 26th September 2020, 10:06   #338
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkLightning View Post
2. India specific 5 Door - launch it whenever you want it will have to compete with everything from Bolero to Scorpio for sure.
A gentle reminder how tiny the Jimny really is -

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-20191025_085750.jpg

May be not very evident in the photo, but it looks tiny - like 'smaller than SPresso' tiny! I understand that is part of the offroad appeal - but this will only remain a small niche within a niche.

The below numbers speak for themselves -
Length - 3,480mm (Alto - 3445 mm)
Wheelbase - 2,250mm (Alto - 2425 mm)
Bootspace - 85 litres.
Luggage capacity with rear seats folded - 377 litres.

It is only slightly longer than an Alto, and has a wheelbase even smaller than Alto (2425 mm).

Extending this will not get a Bolero or Scorpio competitor - unless they make a limousine out of the rear. Purely guessing based on the numbers - I guess the 5-door will still be smaller than the WagonR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkLightning View Post
3. 2-Seater 3 Door - Remove the rear seats altogether, a perfect vehicle for couple or singles who just want to off-road, go on long trips and haul loads of luggage, it would be the perfect Jeep/ Gypsy alternative
Offroad - yes!

Long trips? The 1.5 NA petrol screams at 4000rpm at 100kmph!

Lots of luggage? Even with the rear seats folded, the boot capacity is only just regular premium hatchback space (with seats up!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
If they can avoid getting too greedy they can price it right and bury Mahindra Thar for good. I am pessimistic about them being not greedy though.
Had similar opinions about the Suzuki Jimny till I saw one in person! But I'm pretty sure now that only hardcore offroaders will even think of one if it comes, whereas Thar will continue to cater to both off-road and lifestyle crowd.
  • Lot bigger and eons better road presence.
  • 130hp Diesel + Diesel AT option.
  • TGDi 150hp 2.0 petrol v/s 1.5 NA petrol.
  • Usable rear seats
  • Hardtop and convertible options.

Jimny is only for those who live near the trails or hills - and the only road 'needs' are to get to the trail a few kilometers away.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 13:31   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
A gentle reminder how tiny the Jimny really is
I agree with how tiny the Jimny really is, and I too had the same views as you since the time I saw the car abroad in person. However, a fellow enthusiast laughed at my views and said, "Apples to Apples, and Oranges to Oranges bro!!". That guy happens to be a former owner of the legendary Maruti Suzuki Gypsy King.

So, while the latest avatar of Suzuki Jimny is indeed tiny compared to a LR Defender SWB, Jeep Wrangler, or a Mercedes G-Wagen, or even a Tata Sumo, it remains true to its ancestor from the '80s, the long wheelbase version of which we know as the Maruti Gypsy. In fact, as I dug deeper, the 2019 Suzuki Jimny is a few millimeters wider than the Gypsy. See comparison below.

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy King Dimensions

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-gypsykingdims.png
All measurements taken from here:https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post2321006 (Maruti Gypsy King - Technical Specifications & Feature List)

2019 Suzuki Jimny Dimensions

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-suzukijimnydims.png
All measurements taken from:https://www.globalsuzuki.com/automob...mny/index.html

I believe the 5-door Suzuki Jimny Long Wheelbase version, will at least match the old Gypsy is dimension and will be an India-specific model aimed squarely at everyone who ever ogled a Gypsy and daydreamed owning one , but never did due to the petrol-guzzling engine and the uncomfortable suspension (latter is IMHO). And hey, the Indian military would love to have a modern LWB Gypsy/Jimny. They can never get over the Gypsy!

Here are some early renderings of a 5-door long wheel base Jimny. I expect the actual one to have a stepped roof, which is also kind of what our own Gypsy had.

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-qofznov.jpg
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-marutijimny5doorrendering.jpg
Miel is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 13:32   #340
BHPian

Suppliers of common parts have recieved a production plan indicating 2 Jimny's (Model Code name YWD) to be manufactured in September'2020. We should see some India made Jimny's testing on Gurgaon roads soon.
anandseth01 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 22:39   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post

Here are some early renderings of a 5-door long wheel base Jimny. I expect the actual one to have a stepped roof, which is also kind of what our own Gypsy had.

This looks more like an elongated version of Jeep renegade. Looks good though. 5 door LWB Jimny is unnecessary. Thar and Jimny are lifestyle vehicles and it is their USP. It is best to leave them like that. If people want a 5 door Thar, they can buy a Bolero or a Scorpio. If people want a 5 door Jimny, they can buy Vitara Brezza as it offers more comfort and has a softer suspension. If Brezza can be updated with an AWD like duster, it would serve purpose of those who are planning for a soft off roader.

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 26th September 2020 at 22:54.
WhiteSierra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 23:34   #342
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think it will not do any kind of damage to Thar's sales at any price.

Even though Jimny is a very capable machine, it can't hold a candle to the legacy of Thar (in India) or it's road presence and looks.

May be a new version of Gypsy with looks derived from the old one can give competition to Thar. But not this Jimny.
Asish_VK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 00:06   #343
BHPian

Quote:
But why would you want to bury the Thar for good? Though there will always be a topper more than 1 good car can exist. Also Thar is an example and expression of what Indian R&D is capable of and all of Mahindra and Tata’s new products are the pride of India. They are giving so much importance to looks, build and safety, besides suspension tuning and even engines, whereas Maruti continues selling us the same unsafe tincans when they have much better products worldwide.
We should be proud of 2020 Thar, we get an equally or probably more capable and safer wrangler with smashing looks at less than half the price. I hope it becomes a blockbuster success.

PS : Anyway that point is moot, Jimny will be a segment below Thar and never emulate Thar’s success.
spkrnh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 09:45   #344
BHPian

I believe the forum in general overestimates the demand for a product like Jimny, just like it did products like the Rapid Rider.

MSIL for all their flaws and faults have always had their ears to the ground, and my bet is they know this will be a highly niche product not worth the trouble to manufacture and produce, especially when they are purely mass market.

A "pure" 3 door Jimny will not even get a second look from the average buyer. It might sell in decent numbers the first few months (from the enthusiast market) but then it will simply disappear into nothingness.

Even the gypsy let me remind you was a niche vehicle.

The Thar will be a halo product for M&M, Jimny won't even be that.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 29th September 2020 at 03:10. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
Stribog is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 12:40   #345

Ever since the news broke out that Jimny is India bound, I started rubbing my hands. Was very keen on a second car that I would want to take out for weekend fun drives and occasional 200 - 300 km trips around Kerala. IMO, Jimny fits these requirements perfectly and initial news of pricing around a million rupees made it more exciting. But, as someone rightly pointed out, its only news and more news coming out from MSIL and my goodness, what a difference the new Thar has made!!

It wasn't a part of my remote dreams, but boy oh boy, I'll never forgive myself if I do not consider this machine. And I'm sure that many who are on the same boat would be re-considering their options. The more Maruthi delays the Jimny launch, the more prospective buyers they are loosing.
HeavyRightFoot is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks