Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2020, 06:39   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
If India is the export market for the car, I hope we may see a structurally sound car with all safety features.
Don't worry. After the 'India' specific 'customization', the sound structure would be thrown out of the window, true to Maruti's core values. We all make the mistake of thinking along the same lines, me included - that if an export model is manufactured here, we hope and most times pray that the Indian version to be equally good too in terms of shell structure and safety only to be proved wrong later. Deep down, we know it's not going to bear fruit, no harm though in hoping and praying since no GST or cess is levied for that thankfully.

Case in point is the recent Seltos debacle with 3 stars for Indian version whereas the export model from the very same factory is built differently to score 5 stars. Another one would possibly be Sonet too - though India is the global hub for Sonet production, it may well and truly be an inferior version(body shell) to it's export counterparts, NCAP testing is awaited though.

The Jimny CKD ones for trial may well be a global spec but not the ones that'll hit the Indian market later after all the customary 'customization'. The trials and tests may be to find out how and where it needs to be minified. Come on Maruti ! give us at least one car with it's global spec please

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 21st December 2020 at 07:04.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 08:55   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
If India is the export market for the car, I hope we may see a structurally sound car with all safety features.
Picture the comparison like the Maruti Ciaz vs Honda City. Jimny will be the cheaper SUV with lesser power and features.

If you want the additional power, features, and more capability off road, you’ll pay the premium for the Thar.
Well... Maruti has proved earlier that "Made in India" does not equate to "Made for India". So India being an export hub for Jimny will not have any influence on the safety/structural integrity of their cars sold in India. I will be glad if I am proved wrong.
DieselAddikt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 10:30   #423
Team-BHP Support

50 Units for Sale for the whole country. The odds of getting one will be like winning a lottery.

How do they sell these limited units? Price at 15- 20 Lac each or ?
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 10:48   #424
RSR
Senior - BHPian

I dislike body-on-frame vehicles in general. However, the Suzuki Jimmy is one rare exception to this. I wouldn't mind buying this little mountain goat if Maruti Suzuki manage to price it well.

Sadly, it looks like Maruti Suzuki aren't interested in numbers from the above plans. I'm hoping against hope that the company takes this car seriously and gives it the attention it deserves.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 10:49   #425
BHPian

@Turbanator - from what I read above, these 50 CKD assembled units are only for display purposes in NEXA showrooms, to evaluate customer interest in the 3 door version. I do not think these are for sale - may be after six months, they may do an online bidding to sell these off

Swami

Last edited by swami69 : 21st December 2020 at 10:50.
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 10:59   #426
Senior - BHPian

Can't help but think this is a very shrewd ploy to get footfalls to the Nexa showroom in Q1. If one looks at their current list of offerings, not a single one of them warrant a visit to the showroom. The Jimny can change that.

What's the point in bringing the car to showrooms without anouncing the price or the exact variants?? And I don't think they will be even able to give prospective customers a test drive by this route. What's the point in showing a display car is which like 2 years late now?? I really hope I am wrong and customers will get to drive it at the very least.

I wonder why Maruti is being so risk free and boring?? With the super long wait list for the Thar, the timing couldn't be more perfect for the actual launch and sale of the Jimny.

And I really hope Maruti doesn't take the feedback from the general public too seriously. I really don't want to see an elongated 4 door front wheel drive Jimny with that AMT.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 11:13   #427
BHPian

The Suzuki Jimmy Sierra has a massive cult following in Britain and parts of Australia apart from it's K-class status in Japan. All this is exaggerated by the massive support for the bolt on aftermarket parts available in both markets. People simply love rough,tough, dependable mechanics in compact dimensions + frugal petrol motors, 4wd diff lock .etc makes it a icing on the cake thus the perfect farm daily.
If Suzuki brings it in Indian market I am definitely up for it.
GT Racer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 11:18   #428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
@Turbanator - from what I read above, these 50 CKD assembled units are only for display purposes in NEXA showrooms, to evaluate customer interest in the 3 door version.
Surely there are much better ways to evaluate customer interest in 2020 than assembling 50 cars and sending them to the dealerships. Sounds weird.
Old 21st December 2020, 12:00   #429
BHPian

Jimny is basically a 3 door lifestyle offroader that is quite capable. But how many new Thar owners buy it for its capabilities? The sheer road presence and butch looks are the driving force behind the major proportion of purchases. Obviously, the new Thar is less crude and more civilian which adds to the appeal generously.

Looking at the CKD route, Jimny likely to collide with Thar as far as sticker price goes. 3 Door Jimnys dimensions are (LxWxH) 3645 x 1645 1725mm. For comparison, Thar's dimensions are 3985 x 1855 x 1920mm. Deep dive more, Wagon R's Dimensions are 3655 x 1620 x 1675mm. Maruti advantages will help here despite Wagon R like dimensions but generated hype likely to settle down quickly once people start realizing the size, IMHO
5252rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 12:10   #430
BHPian

Why is this car so iconic? Honest question here and want to know. It looks dinky, the engine on paper doesn't seem to be grunty, yet it is loved by many markets.
Stribog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 12:14   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Why is this car so iconic? Honest question here and want to know. It looks dinky, the engine on paper doesn't seem to be grunty, yet it is loved by many markets.
This video may be able to give some idea.

AutoNoob is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 12:34   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Sure Stribog, although I am no expert myself, here is what I have come to know.

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-3e947e239aa541368672291526662c77.jpeg

These are the cars that stack up against the Jimny.
Source: https://www.carsguide.com.au/suzuki/jimny/vs

In Australia, at the A$25k to A$30k price point, not many cars can provide an affordable compact 4x4 that can go anywhere. The Jimny is cute, reliable and supposedly fun to drive. The Jimny gives a great off-road performance. Basically, it does what is supposed to do. I.e. Fitness-For-Purpose.

Besides that, it’s got 5 decades of heritage!

The new Jimny got a ANCAP score of 3*s but it’s got modern safety features and a bunch of other features that make it feel like a 2020 car.

Why do Indian enthusiasts love the new Thar? There, you get your answer.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st December 2020 at 15:26. Reason: Typo.
EightSix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 12:43   #433
BHPian

Quote:

All you said is true but seems like Jimny is like the Xpulse category.

Lightweight offroad capable BSUV maybe? Hope MSIL won't price it above 1 MINR
starke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 12:51   #434
Team-BHP Support

Went through the Autocar article. It is a classic click bait!

It is true trial production has started with CKD kits, but that is to check the production readiness. I had read another article by someone at Maruti saying they have no plans for Jimny in India just two days back. Even if they are planning for a 5 door, am sure it is going to be somewhere in 2022 or beyond. Maruti will not be able to sell a 3 door super compact car at 15 lakhs and the volumes will not justify it. Unless they manage to price it within 10-12 (max) Lakhs On The Road price tag.

Edit: If Maruti wanted to gauge interest and potential, they just needed to send the auto expo display vehicles to Metros and Major cities, place it in showrooms for a week or two and do a interest and pricing survey. They could have done this long back, but they are not really interested in small volume vehicles. Look at the way they have been killing small volume models through the years.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st December 2020 at 12:53.
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 13:30   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Maruti will not be able to sell a 3 door super compact car at 15 lakhs and the volumes will not justify it. Unless they manage to price it within 10-12 (max) Lakhs On The Road price tag.
Most of us Indians want maximum bang for our buck. Jimny has too small foot-print w.r.t. Thar. So, if its price overlaps with Mahindra Thar (even partially), it is going to be dud on arrival. Customers in this segment don't mind spending 1~2L extra if their heart goes with the product.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks