Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2021, 19:38   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Anybody know when we might actually be able to throw down money and buy one? I would like to know so that its delivery day does not fall on the same days that they deliver my G-Wagon and my Bentley Flying Spur.
DirtyDan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 18:58   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

First official communication about Jimny being evaluated for India:
Quote:
We are currently evaluating whether the feasibility of it being launched in the domestic market. As you may recall, we had shown this Jimny at the Auto Expo in February 2020, and we got some really nice response. And we are currently studying the various aspects of the marketing as to when, if at all, we can launch that vehicle in India,
On catering to the export market :

Quote:
It is a small addition to our exports. And in our overall volume, the fraction would be even smaller. So how much it impacts? I think we still need to take some time and understand. But overall, in terms of volume percentages it is not very high

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th February 2021 at 19:09.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 19:08   #513
Team-BHP Support

They must be cursing internally looking at the numbers of THAR. What stopped them to launch a 3 Door version is a mystery. But they being giant can do anything, the way they gave Hyundai and Kia a free run.

Had somebody taken the efforts to develop a local grand vitara 5 years before, they could have restricted Koreans.
Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 19:35   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
What stopped them to launch a 3 Door version is a mystery.
I believe that is just Maruti being Maruti. And perfectly in line with mind boggling decisions one after another. Them and Toyota, they just leave you scratching your head. Market is hot, if not sustainable over long term they would have certainly cashed in on current wave bolstered by Thar. Pfft.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 20:17   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
I believe that is just Maruti being Maruti. And perfectly in line with mind boggling decisions one after another. Them and Toyota, they just leave you scratching your head. Market is hot, if not sustainable over long term they would have certainly cashed in on current wave bolstered by Thar. Pfft.
I think it’s time we move on from the Jimny. It’s launch has been teased since the last gen and to be honest, Maruti would overprice it anyway. The Thar is a better product anyway and might as well that the Jimny doesn’t steal its thunder!
Old 18th February 2021, 20:55   #516
Senior - BHPian

Do yourself a favour, Maruti. Just forget it. The market has moved on. You can't match Thar's dual fuel, dual roof, dual transmission variants anyway. Besides, SUV is all about macho butch looks and your Bonsai SUV would be just no match for Thar, however capable Jimny maybe.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 21:05   #517
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
First official communication about Jimny being evaluated for India:
Finally a whiff of some good news.
Given a choice I would choose the Jimny over Thar. This gen Jimny already is a modern classic and has better offroad credentials than Thar. If they launch an MT is a given so I pray they do oblige the AT crowd too. Size be damned can be a blessing in disguise.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 06:08   #518
BHPian

My preference is of course a Jimny any day over that new SUV named Thar. Either Jimny or a last batch Thar DI should do. I've no heart to drag around all that new gen bulk when I'm out and about. Both Jimny and DI can give me the blank canvas to electrify later as well. The market is very much there, just looking for the light. I just hope they get around to release the 3-door.
SandyX is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 18:09   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Three door and 5 door Jimny for India:

- Maruti Suzuki would need additional volumes, and thanks to the opportunity of building the Jimny in India for exports, the Jimny seems to be finally on track for a market launch in India.

-In addition to the standard three door version, a made-in-India five-door Jimny is in the works too and this model will be primarily targeted for the Indian market.

- The Jimny 5-door will be no different to the 3-door model as far as underpinnings go. It will also be built on a ladder-frame chassis and employ four-wheel drive with low-range transfer case.

- Jimny will be sold via Maruti Suzuki's premium Nexa dealership chain.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th February 2021 at 18:10.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 18:45   #520
BHPian

Like @Sankar and@SandyX I will wait it out for the Jimney, once MS starts evaluation let's hope against hope to get to see this by diwali.

A 1.2L or 1.5L 4×4 AT 3 door will be on my wishlist.
Old 20th February 2021, 13:53   #521
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
They must be cursing internally looking at the numbers of THAR.
Well said. The Thar has 39,000 bookings and these bozo's still evaluating whether to launch the Jimny in India.
Basically this company has lot's of Govt Babu's who only know the 800 and the alto.
4x4addict is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 15:01   #522
KPR
BANNED

Why is that whatever I wish to own never gets released here in India . Renegade now this hype around Jimny.

There's a ray of hope for Renegade through PSA- FCA merger.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4997241 (Jeep B-Segment Compact SUV: Here are more details)
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 15:39   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Jimny 3-Door India Launch During 2021 Diwali.

- the 3-door will be introduced as a lifestyle product to serve a niche segment.

Link

Link1
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 12:56   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadAtlas View Post
How are you sure, that the Jimny launched here will be same as the one sold internationally?

The structural differences between the European and Indian Ignis launched by the same brand is noticeable, the side impact protection beams are first one to get annexed. The features getting deleted are something to write a page about.
Absolutely true! A friend who used to work at an automobile manufacturer's competition assessment lab told me that how stripped down the cars are on Indian roads, devoid of basic safety. His main job was to buy competitor cars and strip them to the last bolt and do analysis on each component including structural strength. Not only Maruti but every single automobile major has been laggard on safety. Now that Tata and Mahindra have started to showcase their 5star ratings hopefully the Indian mindset would strike a balance between mileage and safety.
Old 26th February 2021, 16:44   #525
Senior - BHPian

Made-in-India Suzuki Jimny spotted en route to being exported out of the country.

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20210226164110_twitter.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20210226164127_twitter.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20210226164138_twitter.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-smartselect_20210226164148_twitter.jpg

Video Link
Venkatesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed