Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2021, 18:22   #556
BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

I don't know if it's only me, with relatively longer wheelbase, I feel the car looks stretched out disproportionately.
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 21:43   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I think it will be a proper 4 seater. 5 people may be a squeeze because of the width. The current generation Thar does not do a good job of space management with a long bonnet. Check the side view of the camouflaged Jimny and Thar from the official review. Thar's bonnet to passenger cabin size ratio looks lower than Jimny. Jimny seems to have a longer passenger cabin than Thar.
Thar's seating capacity is 2 normal people in the front, 2 squatters in the rear and 1 normal person outside on the front bumper. Because they had to make it look like a jeep wrangler and be proportionate.

Jimny 5door on paper looks like it can seat 4 normal people inside and none on the front bumper. I'll take the Swift sized Jimny, tia Maruti.
Sankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 22:30   #558
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
I don't know if it's only me, with relatively longer wheelbase, I feel the car looks stretched out disproportionately.
The 5-door looks quite proportional. If we compare the dimensions with the Gypsy:

Dimensions:
Jimny: 3850 x 1645 x 1730
Gypsy: 4010 x 1540 x 1875

Wheelbase:
Jimny: 2550
Gypsy: 2375

Weight:
Jimny: 1190 kg
Gypsy: 980 Kg

A little shorter, but sufficient WB. Wider and shorter than the Gypsy, almost same WB, and a little heavier - Jimny should be more stable than the Gypsy. Gypsy is not meant for carving corners, but for it's intended use, the Jimny should be fine.

Last edited by condor : 18th April 2021 at 22:47. Reason: updated WB - thanks to @Emvi
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 22:46   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The 5-door looks quite proportional. If we compare the dimensions with the Gypsy:

Dimensions:
Jimny: 3850 x 1645 x 1730
Gypsy: 4010 x 1540 x 1875

Wheelbase:
Jimny: 2350
Gypsy: 2375

A little shorter, but sufficient WB. Wider and shorter than the Gypsy, almost same WB, and a little heavier - Jimny should be more stable than the Gypsy. Gypsy is not meant for carving corners, but for it's intended use, the Jimny should be fine.
Isnt the wheelbase of 5 door Jimny 2550mm?
Yes, I assume Jimny would have better road manners than the Gypsy. It's just that with the wheelbase stretched out and relatively shorter overhangs, when viewed from the sides, the 5 door Jimny looks disproportionate atleast to my eyes. 3 door version looks compact and chunky IMO.
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 22:51   #560
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Isnt the wheelbase of 5 door Jimny 2550mm?
Thanks, Emvi - have corrected my post above.

Having come from a Sumo Victa which was 4505 x 1726 x 1976 but with a WB of just 2400 mm, I expect the 5 door to be fine. However, the Victa had a kerb weight of 1900kg, compared to the 1190 kg of the Jimny. The weight would make a difference, IMO.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 09:40   #561
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Thar's seating capacity is 2 normal people in the front, 2 squatters in the rear and 1 normal person outside on the front bumper. Because they had to make it look like a jeep wrangler and be proportionate.

Jimny 5door on paper looks like it can seat 4 normal people inside and none on the front bumper. I'll take the Swift sized Jimny, tia Maruti.
Bingo. This Jimny 5 door is alright in my books. I am not looking for a hard core offroad machine at this point, just something small and simple with 4*4 to do a little expedition driving and some grocery shopping.

Maruti, lets have it boys
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 09:47   #562
Senior - BHPian

Exactly. Swift sized passenger cabin is alright for most people. It will be far better than Thar's suitcase sized second row. The only problem is that Suzuki is probably not interested in anything that brings them under 5k volume. So the launch in India will depend on whether the Suzuki market research team believes it can bring atleast five thousand customers every month.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 10:54   #563
BHPian

I'll anyday take a 3/5 door Jimney with the 1.2L turbo with an autobox, it'll come sorted, niggle free from the factory.

Anytime better than Thar, which can fail at the drop of a hat, after paying thru your nose.
Vinod_nair is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 11:26   #564
BHPian

In one of the earliest leaked review, I had read that "at present, it is offered as FWD only".

If so, then it will be just a Tinbox only.

Do we have confirmation on the offered model to be 4WD as it is globally ?
Old 19th April 2021, 12:45   #565
Distinguished - BHPian

'Made In India' Jimny ( 3 door) now exported to Philippines, while Malaysia will get the Jimny as CBU from Japan.

Quote:
Initially, the target market for the India-made Jimnys were Peru and Columbia, as well as African countries and the Middle East.

Quote:
The made-in-India Suzuki Jimny is priced exactly the same as the Japan-made model. Monotone variants are priced at PHP 1.205 million (~RM 103k), while two-tone variants are priced at PHP 1.215 million (~RM 104k).

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-bcc883a6148942b8b0fac83f4ae28f80_800.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-c4e915483a96411dbe0699bda317bfa7_800.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-0d982540bfaf46b6bf30a73ef0f5143b_1200.jpg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-0f3d0b760c5546fea4ad7e75f90b078a_800.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th April 2021 at 12:47.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 14:36   #566
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
In one of the earliest leaked review, I had read that "at present, it is offered as FWD only".

If so, then it will be just a Tinbox only.

Do we have confirmation on the offered model to be 4WD as it is globally ?
No way. Must be some copy+paste guys who even reported it will be based on the Heartect platform or Daihatsu's DNGA.

Even if it doesn't get the 4x4 system (it will get), it will become RWD, not FWD.

The way I see it, even if Maruti ends up heavily decontenting the 5 door Indian Jimny, it will still be a far refined and sophisticated rival to the TUV300.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 14:43   #567
BHPian

https://www.rushlane.com/maruti-jimn...-12396726.html

This is where I read about the offered model being FWD
Old 19th April 2021, 19:54   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Bingo. This Jimny 5 door is alright in my books. I am not looking for a hard core offroad machine at this point, just something small and simple with 4*4 to do a little expedition driving and some grocery shopping.

Maruti, lets have it boys
Small and simple it definitely is. Grocery shopping would be quite alright in it due to ease of drive and small size, to let it even go in crowded areas like a breeze. However, it is a hardcore off road machine too! Unlike some bigger "SUVs", which look intimidating but are less practical, Jimny does everything one aspires for, on and off th road.

Gypsy King drivers will especially be able to understand it. Even without PS, it was a charm and fun to drive, be it off road or a regular trip to the market. The ride was horrible for the passengers, extremely uncomfortable, but what joy it used to be still. Jimny is supposedly better in all departments than the mighty Gypsy King. An SUV the size of a Wagon R might not have many takers in India, but the size of that of a Swift will sell like hot cakes IMHO. The most important factor being the absolute hassle free ownership experience that a Maruti comes with.

Jimny also is the exact kind of vehicle that our folks require at the border. I hope it makes it to the armed forces, paramilitary and police too with passage of time.The Boleros, Safaris, Thars or other such vehicles look good from outside but are a chore to the actual user and have little to show when it comes to proper solution for practical usage and problems. Jimny is a nimble, trouble free and a hardcore machine. I see no way it could go unnoticed by authorities once it becomes available for civilians. How long will they be able to overlook its prowess for typical Indian fauji or sarkari environ?
Fuldagap is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 21:08   #569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
Small and simple it definitely is. Grocery shopping would be quite alright in it due to ease of drive and small size, to let it even go in crowded areas like a breeze. However, it is a hardcore off road machine too! Unlike some bigger "SUVs", which look intimidating but are less practical, Jimny does everything one aspires for, on and off th road.

Gypsy King drivers will especially be able to understand it. Even without PS, it was a charm and fun to drive, be it off road or a regular trip to the market. The ride was horrible for the passengers, extremely uncomfortable, but what joy it used to be still. Jimny is supposedly better in all departments than the mighty Gypsy King. An SUV the size of a Wagon R might not have many takers in India, but the size of that of a Swift will sell like hot cakes IMHO. The most important factor being the absolute hassle free ownership experience that a Maruti comes with.

?
I know. I used to drive a 4*4 1959 Willys (peugoted) as my only drive in Bangalore for 3 full years. Home office Mon-Fri, Groceries on Saturday, and proper offroad exploration on Sunday with many friends from here. No power steering as well. Guess i fit the bill with the Jimny!
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 22:34   #570
Senior - BHPian

Apologies for distasteful remark, but will we get a Toyota version of the Jimmy too.... Jungle Cruiser could be apt name for it.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks