Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2022, 14:04   #946
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Ramp/break over can still be managed by changing the line and taking an angled approach, suspension lift or bigger tyres.
Suspension lift will increase the approach and departure angles as well. Modified bumpers usually help in increasing approach and departure angles and are usually less costly to change than suspension lifts and bigger tyres. So why would you give more priority approach/departure angles?
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 14:47   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochinist View Post
Jimny as Jimny would be most welcome .
But not as a FWD 1.0AMT Mileage version.
It is pretty much clear that there is no such possibility. However, if it comes out to be so, it might as well become Jimnay instead of Jimny for enthusiasts.
Old 25th July 2022, 15:24   #948
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Suspension lift will increase the approach and departure angles as well. Modified bumpers usually help in increasing approach and departure angles and are usually less costly to change than suspension lifts and bigger tyres. So why would you give more priority approach/departure angles?
90% of obstacles while offroading need better AD angles like ledges, ruts, gullies, boulders, etc. In my limited experience of offroading since 1998 I’ve probably wished for a better rampover angle 10 times.

Also the middle components are usually well within the chassis and the Gb/TC usually have factory skid plates and a bump or a scrape there isn’t gonna worry me.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 15:27   #949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
New renderings of the Jimny (5d) created from the spy shots.
These renderings and spy shots - make this particular 5D avatar look like a relative of the Force Trax CRUISER/TOOFAN rather than the Jimny.

Come on, Maruti! At least look at the long waiting duration on the 3-door Thar!

Last edited by Turbanator : 25th July 2022 at 21:07. Reason: small edit.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 15:29   #950
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
90% of obstacles while offroading need better AD angles like ledges, ruts, gullies, boulders, etc. In my limited experience of offroading since 1998 I’ve probably wished for a better rampover angle 10 times.

Also the middle components are usually well within the chassis and the Gb/TC usually have factory skid plates and a bump or a scrape there isn’t gonna worry me.
With my even more limited experience I have faced issues mostly with rampover angle, hence my question. Maybe because I have driven cars which already has/had good AD angles I did not feel the pain. Thanks for clarifying @Tejas.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 18:56   #951
BHPian

Hopefully they launch it before I die due to old age.
Chimera is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 21:31   #952
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny 5 door, the real deal. More details expected soon from Japan.

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-2.jpg

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  128.3 KB
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 22:08   #953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Hopefully they launch it before I die due to old age.
This is an awesome quote!
Reminds me of what my daughter said the other day, when i brought up the Jimny topic at the dinner table: "Baba, I graduated three classes in school, but still your car has not arrived. Please don't bore us any more"

Well, e'nuff said!
arjab is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 17:50   #954
BHPian

Maybe we should have a poll on how many people got tired of waiting for Jimny and went for Thar. I'm one of those who have been holding out for Jimny, and my friends who had gone ahead with Thar is now talking about their next vehicles. If Thar 5-door comes before Jimny, I might bite the bullet!

Last edited by Aditya : 26th July 2022 at 18:52. Reason: Acronym
astrodex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 18:12   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodex View Post
Maybe we should have a poll on how many people got tired of waiting for Jimny and went for Thar. I'm one of those who have been holding out for Jimny, and my friends who had gone ahead with Thar is now talking about their next vehicles. If Thar 5 Dr comes before Jimny, I might bite the bullet!
I am one of them, waited for the Jimny, went with the Thar in 2021. Absolutely love the Thar but I now have to look for a 5 door car. Original plan was to get a used 5 door car along side the Thar but things didn't work out. So now will replace the Thar.
This time as well, Jimny 5 door will be late to the party

Last edited by dr_TJ : 26th July 2022 at 18:21.
Old 26th July 2022, 20:04   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Reminds me of what my daughter said the other day, when i brought up the Jimny topic at the dinner table: "Baba, I graduated three classes in school, but still your car has not arrived. Please don't bore us any more"

Well, e'nuff said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodex View Post
Maybe we should have a poll on how many people got tired of waiting for Jimny and went for Thar. I'm one of those who have been holding out for Jimny, and my friends who had gone ahead with Thar is now talking about their next vehicles. If Thar 5-door comes before Jimny, I might bite the bullet!
Well now since the Japanese media has put it on the front page we can only hope that the launch is near.

Just like the OG Grand Vitara and Kizashi MSIL India is screwing up again, except with those 2 vehicles the market was not ready for a do it all 5 seat SUV or a powerful 185hp sedan (let alone one with a Maruti Suzuki badge) at 20 odd lakh but the market is fiery hot right now with the Thar selling anywhere between 3500-5000 units a month.

Drop in the 127hp mild hybrid engine from the International S-Cross, swap the Jimny badges for ones that say Gypsy and watch Mahindra freak out. And yet they delay.

A 5 door lifestyle SUV that can carry 4-5 passengers, provide off road thrills, match a Mercedes G63 AMG V8 and a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon off road, with Maruti's legendary reliability and dealer/ASS network, a weight advantage over 500kg compared to it's only rival and to top off the sundae a legendary name like Gypsy who's legendary status in it's segment is only matched by the likes of the Bullet 350.

WHAT IS MSIL EVEN WAITING FOR

Perhaps we can learn a thing or two from the BMW Car Club of America. The E30 M3 was a sales flop in the US so when BMW made the E36 and subsequently the E36 M3 in the early 90's the US division of BMW wanted nothing to do with the new M3. So an editor at the BMW Car Club of America by the name of Bob Roemer encouraged his fellow club members and BMW enthusiasts to write a letter to the BMW USA M Brand manager who at the time was man by the name of Erik Wensberg. They littered his office with over 150 letters essentially pleading with BMW USA to bring the E36 M3 to American shores. These letters were nothing like a YouTube comment where it's just angry words on a screen, these were heartfelt letters from people like me and you, people who enjoyed cars asking BMW USA to bring the E36 M3 to the US and promising they'd buy one if they did. BMW obliged, and saying that the E36 M3 sold like hot cakes in the US is a MAJOR understatement.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 20:44   #957
BHPian

The icing on the cake is that the Jimny is made right here near my house in Gurgaon, yet they don't give it to us.
twin-turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 21:55   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin-turbo View Post
The icing on the cake is that the Jimny is made right here near my house in Gurgaon, yet they don't give it to us.
I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate here and say that MSIL has a perfectly valid reason for not launching the 3 door Jimny here in India. It simply will not sell.

Sure the vehicle itself is brilliant, ditch the stock tyres for knobby off road ones and you'll be drifting circles around Jeep Wranglers, Mahindra Thar's, V8 Land Rover Defender's and even the freaking Mercedes G63 AMG. The 105hp 1.5L engine (the same one that powers the Brezza and XL6/Ertiga twins) is more than enough to chuck around the 1100kg Jimny on the trails but the key point is space.

In the 3 door Thar space is limited and it's not practical but you can squeeze in 2 adults in the rear seats for a city trip or short highway journeys while the Jimny has rear seats only a small child could fit into and a pathetic boot space of 85 Liters (only 5 Liters more than the Tata Nano). MSIL knows what happens when they rush to bring international market cars into India (Kizashi, XL7 and OG Grand Vitara).

I'd rather have a successful late launch than a failed early launch.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 23:49   #959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyCarb55 View Post
I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate here and say that MSIL has a perfectly valid reason for not launching the 3 door Jimny here in India. It simply will not sell.
I feel quite the opposite. Gone are the days when lesser than practical vehicles made no sense to the Indian market’s sentiment, and we had to junk lifestyle vehicles (RIP Mitsubishi Lancer). The thar is a fine testimony to buyers being eager for unconventional products, and the Jimny’s small size is the major contributor to the charm. I am really happy knowing there are no indicators of an only 5 door launch (and weak indicators of the vehicle launching, at all ) , and I would gladly buy the 3 door over 5 if its an option extended to us.
ubermensch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 10:05   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post

Well, e'nuff said!
Ha Ha , true !

I believe its almost 10 years since we heard about the Jimny launch and my wife teases me about how much more are we still going to wait.

Here is one of the early web-links I could locate

https://www.drivespark.com/four-whee...ch-019298.html
Closed Thread

Most Viewed