Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2022, 19:13   #1036
BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

5-door Jimny will look like this:

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img_2022_09_06_16_27_342.jpeg

And not like this:

Name:  images 60.jpeg
Views: 1107
Size:  41.1 KB
Vignesh Vee is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 19:41   #1037
BANNED

Or it might as well end up looking like this - which isn’t a bad thing in my opinion. Let’s keep our fingers crossed and hope that MSIL, after having made us all wait for half a decade - do give us all that we wish for in the Indian Jimny - The ALL NEW GYPSY 2023. Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-e77b5a80a05a438da0bb3fedc4a82070.jpeg
Drlmtukkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 19:56   #1038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drlmtukkar View Post
Or it might as well end up looking like this - which isn’t a bad thing in my opinion. Let’s keep our fingers crossed and hope that MSIL, after having made us all wait for half a decade - do give us all that we wish for in the Indian Jimny - The ALL NEW GYPSY 2023. Attachment 2355690
Probably not, there is not enough space for the rear glass to roll down fully. But I do agree Jimny LWB will probably look like this.
Old 7th September 2022, 02:04   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Carnet entry LHD Jimny review by Autocar India.

https://Youtu.be/6-bk5qws6Vk
Shapur is bang on when he says it turns heads even more than supercars.
The small size is quite evident in front of Shapur's size. The Gypsy does look like a fantastic car, especially in this particular video.
Old 7th September 2022, 11:05   #1040
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Since even the older gypsy is 4010mm long with just 3 door, smaller wheelbase and really skinny bumper.
This is not the global standard. The extension was done only for the Indian version called the Gypsy. The long member was extended after the ear leaf perch. That's how are able to chop off the rear and shorten a gypsy without major effort and without affecting the chasis dynamics.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 16:23   #1041
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
So finally the jimny 3 door (via Dubai carnet) visits Learn Offroad for a proper mud bath.
I’m blown away by the nimbleness of the vehicle.
So finally got some time to pen a brief review from my side.

This is my second interaction with the Jimny.

The first one being in a South Africa a few years ago.

I got to drive the SA one extensively but the one in India came on carnet from Dubai and therefore I couldn't drive it since as per law it's only allowed to be driven by the driver on who's name the car is registered with at customs.

However, since the vehicle in India came to my offroad property (Learn Offroad) I know the strengths and weaknesses of all the obstacles I've created and I've seen newbies drive all makes and models of vehicles over them. Therefore, having seen another newbie drive it gave me a very clear picture with regards to how she performs in our terrain.

I'm noting down points in random order:

1. I love the car. If the 3 door comes, it'll be my next offroad car. 5 door, can't say without driving it

2. On road - surprisingly very good for a light tall car with front and back solid axles. Not a corner carver but better than my Pajero at corners.

3. Speed - on the expressway way she good for 120ish to overtake. Can cruise all day at 100 speed limit. Can do 140-150 but then the owner said it's scary when he drove those speeds in DXB. So if you looking at a mile muncher doing faster speeds and more luggage space, then this car is not for you. For city and offroading, perfect size.

4. Surprisingly spacious from inside! Found it more roomier in the front than my i10

5. Rear seat is strictly for kids or one adult sitting sideways.

6. The most annoying bit is the small size A pedal. There are times in relaxed driving position, your foot may slip off the bottom.

7. The articulation is much better than the Thar in the front.

8. She is nimble and how! All the obstacles she did with zero drama. Where cars lift one wheel more than 2 feet in the air, she was doing it at less than one foot and the videos just look plain Jane in comparison to other cars

9. The light weight is a big plus factor. We did slippery climbs and the light weight with the happy revving engine and the all grip system means she climbed slopes like a goat where Thars and wranglers needed multiple attempts and higher speeds.

10. All grip system is as at par in my books with ATRAC (which I really like)

11. Steering is well balanced and one knows at every point where the wheels are pointed. Something a lot of Endy and Thar owners have not clue and rely on the onboard display to check the orientation

12. ADR angles are great.

13. GC could have been better.

14. I was surprised at what all she did on HT 185 section road tyres (at half pressure) though. A 2 step upgrade on tyres would dramatically improve performance.

15. 5th géar on the AT was sorely missed

16. Has HDC. The crawl is way better than the gypsy and as good as the petrol Thar. The diesel Thar has way better crawl though.

17. Two chassis mounted recovery points in the front and only one tie down point at the rear was surprising.

18. Boot space is at par with the Maruti 800 SS80.

19. Plain Jane key fob.

20. Airbags - 2

21. Ride quality very very good. Even on broken roads and doesn't loose composure on at moderate speeds on a sudden bad patch. Three hour drive back in passenger seat after a long day of mudding and there was no tiredness. Seating and comfort is good.

22. NVH is good.

23. Since it's a petrol, some tuning and exhaust may bump up power (speculation)

24. Need to check if upgrading tyres would make it loose out on power which is just enough. However for mudding, you would need taller tyres. So it's a toss up.

25. Articulation challenges are disposed off very well thanks to better articulation compared to newer cars and short wheel base with all grip.

Do let me know if you have any more questions.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (111) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 16:39   #1042
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This is not the global standard. The extension was done only for the Indian version called the Gypsy. The long member was extended after the ear leaf perch. That's how are able to chop off the rear and shorten a gypsy without major effort and without affecting the chasis dynamics.
The gypsy is the LWB version of the SJ410 and the LWB version was also sold in Spain, Thailand, India, Australia and many other countries. Some markets also had a pick up version which was even longer.
aim120 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 09:34   #1043
BANNED

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:

This is my second interaction with the Jimny.

The first one being in a South Africa a few years ago.

I got to drive the SA one extensively but the one in India came on carnet from Dubai and therefore I couldn't drive it since as per law it's only allowed to be driven by the driver on who's name the car is registered with at customs.

However, since the vehicle in India came to my offroad property (Learn Offroad) I know the strengths and weaknesses of all the obstacles I've created and I've seen newbies drive all makes and models of vehicles over them. Therefore, having seen another newbie drive it gave me a very clear picture with regards to how she performs in our terrain.

8. She is nimble and how! All the obstacles she did with zero drama. Where cars lift one wheel more than 2 feet in the air, she was doing it at less than one foot and the videos just look plain Jane in comparison to other cars

9. The light weight is a big plus factor. We did slippery climbs and the light weight with the happy revving engine and the all grip system means she climbed slopes like a goat where Thars and wranglers needed multiple attempts and higher speeds.

10. All grip system is as at par in my books with ATRAC (which I really like)
Thanks for this excellent, in depth review. Some of the points mentioned here are even missing in overseas review of the car done by other outlets.

Going by the off road observations made here, the combo of lighweight and the front/back solid rigid axle setup really make the Jimny a true 'mountain goat' that punches above it's segment. I also checked your Instagram feed Jimny just makes the obstacles look so easy especially when in the previous reel Gurkha struggled a bit in one of the same obstacles.

Glad to know that, the on road manners are good enough. How does it compare it with let's say a Scorpio or Thar on road? What I had seen from owner reviews abroad is that a suspension upgrade is recommended to improve the on road manners as the body has some roll and sways on uneven cement roads. Did you notice any such swaying?

Last edited by Sheel : 9th September 2022 at 10:52. Reason: MOD NOTE ATTACHED.
tarmacnaut is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 11:32   #1044
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmacnaut View Post

Thanks for this excellent, in depth review. Some of the points mentioned here are even missing in overseas review of the car done by other outlets.
Thank you. It's not a pretentious car if I had to sum it up.

Quote:
Going by the off road observations made here, the combo of lighweight and the front/back solid rigid axle setup really make the Jimny a true 'mountain goat' that punches above it's segment. I also checked your Instagram feed Jimny just makes the obstacles look so easy especially when in the previous reel Gurkha struggled a bit in one of the same obstacles.
I'll soon update with comparisons between other vehicles. side by side videos.

Quote:
Glad to know that, the on road manners are good enough. How does it compare it with let's say a Scorpio or Thar on road? What I had seen from owner reviews abroad is that a suspension upgrade is recommended to improve the on road manners as the body has some roll and sways on uneven cement roads. Did you notice any such swaying?
As is said, it's not a corner carver. There is sway. Coming from old school jeeps and pajeros, this one is a massive upgrade. BUT, on road the Thar and Scorpio N have a definitely lead with power and handling.

Again, coming from Pajero with a heavily laden roof rack, I didn't get the sinking pit in my stomach if that's what you mean by swaying.

Some random pics:

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img_1196.jpeg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img_3519-copy.jpeg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img_3520-copy.jpeg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img_3521-copy.jpeg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img_3523-copy.jpeg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img_3528-copy.jpeg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img_3531-copy.jpeg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img_3542.jpeg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img_3555.jpeg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img_3562.jpeg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img_3584.jpeg

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img_3587.jpeg

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 9th September 2022 at 11:37. Reason: corrected typos
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 12:13   #1045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. I love the car. If the 3 door comes, it'll be my next offroad car. 5 door, can't say without driving it
Thank Tejas. At Point number 1. the que of potential owners will be up to Timbuktu I am sure

Quiet nice review - in my opinion the major USP of this will have over the competition (new gen mountain goat) will be its nimbleness and size.

Hope Suzuki India will not make this a "still born" in India by launching 5 door version first

Best Regards & Drive Safe
r_nairtvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 18:08   #1046
BHPian

Irrespective of it being 3 door or 5 door I will be buying one as soon as it’s launched in India in 4x4 avatar.
Won’t wait for the reviews also because it’s been reviewed and has proven itself in the international market.
It’s been as my desktop wallpaper since 2020 Auto Expo (the only good thing that happened in 2020).
It’s about time that it’s launched in India.
Zanskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 18:21   #1047
BHPian

Quote:
So finally got some time to pen a brief review from
Thanks so much for this! Wonder what they’ll do with the engine and gearbox combo for us here. Hope they don’t water it down too much. It’s size and agility also make it sound like a great city car. If the gearing is right. I’d be all over the 3 door like white on rice. If they ever launch..

Last edited by libranof1987 : 9th September 2022 at 19:57. Reason: Trimming quoted post; kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
Old 9th September 2022, 19:51   #1048
BHPian

It appears that the interest in 3 door is far more than the 5 door one among our bhai log.

Maybe Maruti should just do a one time exception and do a special batch 3 door production for the Indian fans against firm bookings. I am hopeful, it will get a huge response to justify the batch. What do you think guys?
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 21:27   #1049
Senior - BHPian

I guess many of us will opts for the 4 door Jimny if it's the only one that comes with the 1.4L turbo engine. If it's also available on the 3 door than that will be my pick for sure. I'll just get rid of the rear seats and make it a 2 seater with cargo space
Old 9th September 2022, 21:31   #1050
BANNED

If they really bring the Jimny to India, it would be great because of the trust that people have on Maruti Suzuki. And a right price is now what we really want for this gem.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th September 2022 at 08:11. Reason: Typo. Missing capitalizations.
PrathamTSI7DSG is offline   Received Infraction
Closed Thread

Most Viewed