Team-BHP - Hyundai to roll out new Diesel Santro in 2008
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Hyundai to roll out new Diesel Santro in 2008 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/21208-hyundai-roll-out-new-diesel-santro-2008-a.html)

Source: Hyundai to roll out diesel Santro in 2008-India Business-NEWS-The Times of India

Hyundai folks suggest this car to be slightly bigger than the existing Santro
This new car would be positioned between the Santro and the Getz and would comply the compact car norms with length not more than 4000 mm and engine capacity to be around 1200 cc for petrol cars and 1400 cc for diesel cars.

Nice to see Hyundai open a segment first rather than responding to Maruti. Hope they get the pricing right this time and the car succeeds. Hyundai - the LPG/CNG Santro ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMAG (Post 370662)
Hope they get the pricing right this time

Pricing it right would be the only way in which it can succeed.

By that time we will also have the Skoda Fabia...humm !! way to go !!

"Nice to see Hyundai open a segment first rather than responding to Maruti..."

Surprised with this comment! :-) Hyundai always tried something innovative! From Santro onwards...until Tucson CRDi...

When Santro was launched, it was a far better product than then WagonR or Zen in terms of space, comfort, driveability (both engine/gear shift). None of those Maruti models had those qualities. Price was also costlier than these models and opened a new segment.

Accent, Getz, Elantra, Sonata all of them are VFM in their range! Can you pls say the same with Maruti! Actually Maruti doesn't have anything around Elantra or Sonata range except their highly priced and failure SUV Vitara. If you buy any car from Maruti stable, you have to compromise yourself in one or otherway!

800 : No comments!
Alto : very small and light, dangerously unstable at 100kmph!
WagonR : EP Steering not so confident, Clutch issues, Boxy, Too Tall for Cornering
Swift : Cramped Interior
Baleno/Esteem : Too old to comment.

Fyi, I am driving a Suzuki SX4/Nissan Sunny at work and a Santro in India. Iam trying to figure out a model from Maruti to upgrade my Santro, but nothing suits me except that Swift VDi, but i am put off with its cramped interior.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMAG (Post 370662)
Nice to see Hyundai open a segment first rather than responding to Maruti. Hope they get the pricing right this time and the car succeeds. Hyundai - the LPG/CNG Santro ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgmuser (Post 370774)

Surprised with this comment! :-) Hyundai always tried something innovative! From Santro onwards...until Tucson CRDi...

Think you did not get the comment in the right sense pal.... Feel theMAG meant it was nice to see that Hyundai had not resorted to just responding to the Swift onslaught but instead decided to bring out a new segment.

The comments on the Maruti products were uncalled for, and not entirely true so let us not go there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by askicode (Post 370621)
Source: Hyundai to roll out diesel Santro in 2008-India Business-NEWS-The Times of India

Hyundai folks suggest this car to be slightly bigger than the existing Santro
This new car would be positioned between the Santro and the Getz and would comply the compact car norms with length not more than 4000 mm and engine capacity to be around 1200 cc for petrol cars and 1400 cc for diesel cars.

Wish they go in for a re-design. The santro's shape has been getting old too.

This is surely about the rebadged new-generation Santro. Hyundai needs another hot-seller.....fast!

It will be intesting to see how many of diesel Santros they sell. I think Santro is still bought be people for personal use with low mileage - so petrol was ideal. So what segment they are targetting? Will people choose diesel Santro over Indica?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbasak (Post 370882)
Will people choose diesel Santro over Indica?

Even assuming the same levels of engine refinement and the "people" in question being personal users, yes

Wow a Diesel Santro would certainly give Indica a run for its money..

Slightly OT:

Quote:

Why? Its still safer than any two wheeler. Not to forget the most fuel efficient. Which other manufacturer gives so much for so less?
Quote:

Small and light sure. That what makes it a breeze to drive in city. Its not a highway vehicle. Dangerously unstable at 100kmph? You bet its more stable and solid 100kmph than Santro and even WagonR! Dont think you have driven an Alto yourself.

Quote:

WagonR : EP Steering not so confident, Clutch issues, Boxy, Too Tall for Cornering
EP steering. Which other manufacturer gave EPS that time? Even now Santro has Hydraulic steering. And EPS is boon in city. Drive it to believe it. Boxy? Sure.. but isnt Santro Boxy and "Too tall" for cornering? And what "clutch issues"?? Please elaborate.

Quote:

Sure cramped interior. But is that the end of the story, is it? Superb Engine, fantastic handling, killer looks.. you forgot all that!

Quote:

ahem. Too old sure. But still packs more value for money than the Accent. And that Jap engine is a scorcher, compared to the Accent's Korean engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dceite (Post 370936)
Wow a Diesel Santro would certainly give Indica a run for its money..

Agreed provided they price it right, some recent launched have shown that they might be over-aiming with regards to the pricing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dceite (Post 370936)
EP steering. Which other manufacturer gave EPS that time? Even now Santro has Hydraulic steering. And EPS is boon in city. Drive it to believe it.

I think what he means & I share his gripe there is that the EPS has absolutely no feel, it's completely dead & so makes it difficult to judge the grip level. I've driven quite a few of them & the gearshift & lack of steering feel has always left me a bit annoyed. In this case I would prefer a Hydraulic steering with feel over an EPS without any.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgmuser (Post 370774)

When Santro was launched, it was a far better product than then WagonR or Zen in terms of space, comfort, driveability (both engine/gear shift). None of those Maruti models had those qualities. Price was also costlier than these models and opened a new segment.

Accent, Getz, Elantra, Sonata all of them are VFM in their range! Can you pls say the same with Maruti! Actually Maruti doesn't have anything around Elantra or Sonata range except their highly priced and failure SUV Vitara. If you buy any car from Maruti stable, you have to compromise yourself in one or otherway!

Fyi, I am driving a Suzuki SX4/Nissan Sunny at work and a Santro in India. Iam trying to figure out a model from Maruti to upgrade my Santro, but nothing suits me except that Swift VDi, but i am put off with its cramped interior.

There are lots of people who find Maruti is far better then Korean brand. Big dose not means better. Anybody can make bigger car putting more metal. Expertise and experience which matter most.

Anyway more numbers does not mean better whether it is Maruti or any other brand for that matter.

Guys, I'm getting confused. It is a new car being carved out on Santro platform or the same Santro with Diesel engine?

Quote:

Originally Posted by iraghava (Post 370940)
I think what he means & I share his gripe there is that the EPS has absolutely no feel, it's completely dead & so makes it difficult to judge the grip level. I've driven quite a few of them & the gearshift & lack of steering feel has always left me a bit annoyed. In this case I would prefer a Hydraulic steering with feel over an EPS without any.

Yup i agree with you IR. But we also must not forget the small cars like wagonR and Santro were built for city use. And in bumper to bumper traffic and tight traffic parkings, nothing helps more than a light steering (extra light maybe).

Where it does become dangerous is taking sharp turns and twists at high speeds. But then as i said, WagonR and Santro were never meant to be driven fast..
:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nispatel (Post 371002)
Guys, I'm getting confused. It is a new car being carved out on Santro platform or the same Santro with Diesel engine?

As far as i understand its a completely different car, with the same name and a different engine.