Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2019, 12:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Tiago JTP & Tigor JTP with 7-inch touchscreen launched

Tata Motors has updated the Tiago JTP and Tigor JTP with new features. The cars are priced at Rs. 6.69 lakh and Rs. 7.59 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi) respectively.

Tata Tiago JTP & Tigor JTP with 7-inch touchscreen launched-image-1.jpg

The Tiago JTP and Tigor JTP are now offered with auto fold ORVMs finished in a contrast colour and a piano black shark fin antenna. On the inside, both cars get automatic climate control and a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system that has Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity options.

Tata Tiago JTP & Tigor JTP with 7-inch touchscreen launched-image-2.jpg

The Tiago JTP and Tigor JTP are powered by a 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine that produces 112 BHP @ 5,000 rpm and 150 Nm of torque @ 2,000-4,000 rpm. The engine is mated to a 5-speed manual transmission and has 2 driving modes - Sport and City.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 13:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago JTP & Tigor JTP with 7-inch touchscreen launched

Even after been termed as pseudo performance hatchbacks, I do not understand the pricing strategy @ Tata's. Not very many examples are on the road, rather I have just seen one so far since it was launched during my trip to Jaipur.

In terms of performance, since I have driven it twice, the car lacks both initial surge as well as top end. One can just enjoy the mid-range for which open roads are required. The in-city driving pleasure is somewhat missing in the JTP avtars.

The car is extremely small from inside and does not justify the price when Tata's are struggling both in PV and CV segments. They should have retained original pricing and increased feature list to make it an attractive deal for buyers.

The Skoda Rider 1.6 NA is competing in-between at 6.99 Lac. A manufacturer now a days cannot stick to the segment in which it is operating or making an offer; cross shopping is bound to happen among buyers with different expectations.

Last edited by i74js : 14th August 2019 at 13:34.
i74js is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 15:00   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
...The car is extremely small from inside and does not justify the price when Tata's are struggling both in PV and CV segments. They should have retained original pricing and increased feature list to make it an attractive deal for buyers...

Extremely small cabin? Which cars are you comparing this with? And just want to know what was the original price?
swiftnfurious is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 15:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Initial launch price was 6.39 Lakhs (Tiago JTP). For 30K extra you get following;

7" infotainment system
ACC
Auto fold ORVM
Shark fin antenna

I think price increase is justified
Latheesh is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 16:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Extremely small cabin? Which cars are you comparing this with?
I think I can add my opinion here: Compare it with its own sibling, Indica. A first car from TATA that cannot seat 3 in the rear with enough comfort. The fit and finish of plastics/leather/upholstery/instrument panel is not upto the mark and TATA sales, after-sales and service are for the most parts poor.
Especially, for JTP their sales pitching is very meagre if not pathetic.

Only the Engineering/Design team has done a real good job and safety is top notch. If it was for my personal use, I would have been able to live with its quirks but for elders at home or in general a not so family friendly car. Our market is still not ready for a enthusiast only car. Had it been, we would have seen Swift sport or Swift R in our markets long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Initial launch price was 6.39 Lakhs (Tiago JTP). For 30K extra you get following;

7" infotainment system
ACC
Auto fold ORVM
Shark fin antenna

I think price increase is justified
No Auto-dimming IRVM, no option of 6 Airbags, No rear disks on JTP version. Notchy gear box in the JTP avatar. I say price rise is acceptable but I expected from TATA a little more.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 14th August 2019 at 16:27.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 23:19   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Even after been termed as pseudo performance hatchbacks, I do not understand the pricing strategy @ Tata's.
Pseudo performance hatchback? By far, out of all automotive companies in India, it is the most genuine effort. It is the best performance car one can get in India under 10 lakh rupees. It is not a regular car with just power bump but with a proper suspension tuning.

Quote:
In terms of performance, since I have driven it twice, the car lacks both initial surge as well as top end. One can just enjoy the mid-range for which open roads are required. The in-city driving pleasure is somewhat missing in the JTP avtars.
No one car can be all that we want it to be, that's the reason we have sedans, SUVs, hatcbacks, and coupes etc, each with its own set of pros and cons.

Quote:
The car is extremely small from inside and does not justify the price when Tata's are struggling both in PV and CV segments. They should have retained original pricing and increased feature list to make it an attractive deal for buyers.
Car is too small to justify the price? Size is not the only thing that determines a car's price, and decreasing price may not help increase the struggling sales as it is not meant to be a volume spinner. By the way, what is the segment of cars you are comparing it with?

Quote:
The Skoda Rider 1.6 NA is competing in-between at 6.99 Lac.
That is the most basic variant of Skoda Rapid you are comparing with top variant of JTP twins(IIRC they are based top variants of regular Tiago/Tigor) .

Quote:
A manufacturer now a days cannot stick to the segment in which it is operating or making an offer; cross shopping is bound to happen among buyers with different expectations.
Yes prices do overlap across segments and yes buyers do cross shopping, but no manufacturer can do anything about cross shopping and have to stick to the pricing according to their feasibility.
wheelguy is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 23:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think the JTP twins have good potential, but the problem is that Tata's not marketing them well, hardly seen any ads or banners promoting the brand.

And lets not forget, the sportier bumpers etc and the overall design is surely eye catching!

I am not whining much about lack of performance etc because for that budget, they are quite sporty to drive and look for.

I find both models quite honest in what they deliver. Pricing totally justified.
fx45 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 01:04   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
I think I can add my opinion here: Compare it with its own sibling, Indica. A first car from TATA that cannot seat 3 in the rear with enough comfort. The fit and finish of plastics/leather/upholstery/instrument panel is not upto the mark and TATA sales, after-sales and service are for the most parts poor.

Only the Engineering/Design team has done a real good job and safety is top notch. If it was for my personal use, I would have been able to live with its quirks but for elders at home or in general a not so family friendly car. Our market is still not ready for a enthusiast only car. Had it been, we would have seen Swift sport or Swift R in our markets long ago.

No Auto-dimming IRVM, no option of 6 Airbags, No rear disks on JTP version. Notchy gear box in the JTP avatar. I say price rise is acceptable but I expected from TATA a little more.
So, you compare this car with one which is in the next segment and find it smaller - fair enough I guess. There are products which are atleast 50% pricier and can seat only 2 at the back; so am gonna cut TATA some slack on this.

I find the parts on Swift which is roughly 9L, at par or below the Tiago; similar for other products from Maruti. Probably, the only player who'll fare better is Hyundai.

This is one of the few 'dual personality' cars out there in the market; can push when you wanna have fun, switch to City mode for a tame performance. The ride is mature & comfortable, handling is sharp, the brakes are super progressive and re-assuring with just drums at the back. Few times when we realize "spec" need not mean everything (Just so you know, I had a first gen Swift D for 5 years / 80K kms and have a Palio GTX now and these are what I benchmark against).

Now, I had one of the finest pre-sales experience for the JTP EVER!!! The guy was willing to give a TD as much as we want, always smiling, no frowning, genuinely wanted us to experience the product. Yes, there are things that could be better (high seating position, notchy gear shift, petrol only motor, 2 airbags etc), but nothing thats a deal breaker for me.

The only other product which I'd consider under 10L is the Figo S; having driven the Freestyle, I can only presume how good the S will be (never had an opportunity to drive it so far).

For the current price hike, I'd have expected a little more - 30K is a little steep for whats offered.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 15th August 2019 at 01:12.
swiftnfurious is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 08:35   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Even after been termed as pseudo performance hatchbacks…
The problem is, how many performance hatchbacks we have in the market, pseudo or otherwise? The Tiago JTP is not perfect, may not be high on power figures, but it’s cheap and cheerful and give that connected feel to the driver. And for a car this small, it gives a reassuring feel while driving, mature ride and handling, which you don’t get on many hatchbacks/sedans that cost 50% (or more) than the Tiago JTP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js
The Skoda Rider 1.6 NA is competing in-between at 6.99 Lac
Competing in price, but I doubt if any kind of cross-shopping will happen in this case. Someone who is in market for a cheap sedan will go for a model with the ancient 1.6MPI; the chances of them even considering the Tiago will be minimal. Its like saying that I am in the market for a Mini, but the Skoda Superb comes in the similar price range and hence will go for the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
I think the JTP twins have good potential, but the problem is that Tata's not marketing them well, hardly seen any ads or banners promoting the brand.
I agree with this; a bigger marketing push, wider customization options etc. will entice the buyers.

Quote:
Different experiences maybe. When I was in Kerala I called the Tata dealership, and they were quick to respond. They offered to bring the car immediately (despite the torrid rains) for a TD, and then I asked for the next day morning. They were prompt to bring the car home, test drive thru the roads of my preference (without being pushy even once). They sounded genuine and excited about the product they are selling. And the follow-ups are very prompt as well.
vb-saan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 08:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I agree with this; a bigger marketing push, wider customization options etc. will entice the buyers.

Different experiences maybe. When I was in Kerala I called the Tata dealership, and they were quick to respond. They offered to bring the car immediately (despite the torrid rains) for a TD, and then I asked for the next day morning.
Absolutely true. JTP is a very sweet product for the price and its segment , only to be let down horribly by the age old lackadaisical attitude of Tata sales channels. An example: my good friend in Kolkata is a JTP fan boy and wanted to buy one. He filled up his details on the JTP website and promptly received a phone call assuring him that the Kolkata dealer selling JTP will be in touch with him soon.
A week passes and nobody gets in touch with him. He calls the JTP call centre once again, who assures them they have passed on his details to the Kolkata dealer and shares the dealership's name and address.
My friend visits the dealership which is a good 15+ Kms away from his home only to be told that JTP test drive vehicles were not available and because JTP was a "rare and technical product" they can source a car only after he books one!! , as "general customers" do not buy JTP.

By this time my friend is thoroughly exasperated and started having serious concerns about the fate of JTP and it's after sales service in Kolkata, if the initial customer service levels were an yardstick to go by.

Last I heard, he has booked and paid for a Baleno RS, which he is taking delivery this weekend.
arjab is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 09:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even after been termed as pseudo performance hatchbacks, I do not understand the pricing strategy @ Tata's. Not very many examples are on the road, rather I have just seen one so far since it was launched during my trip to Jaipur.

The Skoda Rider 1.6 NA is competing in-between at 6.99 Lac. A manufacturer now a days cannot stick to the segment in which it is operating or making an offer; cross shopping is bound to happen among buyers with different expectations.
Firstly this is NOT a pseudo performance hatch back. For the price there is nothing on the road that can compete with its acceleration, ingear acceleration, Top speed, Handling and Dynamics. 114 ps at less than 7L in 2019 is a steal I would say !

Agreed it is not a perfect car, actually No car is! If your FOCUS is on performance and if you are in a sub 9L budget JTP elevates itself as a only one sane choice !

Abarth Punto during its discounted stint had the potential to convert potential JTP prospects but the Skoda rapid NA1.6 I have my own doubts. Maybe people buying Dezire, Xcent Tigor will most likely be lured by this rapid rider edition !
Mi10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 16:30   #12
BHPian

Since Tata Customer Service has been a matter of discussion in this particular thread, i felt i should sure my experience so far.

Pre Sale -my city doesn't have a JTP Dealer yet so i wrote an email to the folks at JTP via their website. Soon enough i received a call from them and things got moving. Their attempts to onboard one of the regular Tata dealers were taking too long, so the friendly folks over at JTP offered to get the nearest dealer who happens to be over 200KM away to arrange a test drive. I was a little apprehensive about the distance and decided to wait it out only to eventually call up the dealer myself. The dealer was only too happy to send a car for a test drive to my home. That's a 500km round trip without any prior commitment on my part to buy the car! Of course, they had no idea that i had made up my mind. There was some confusion regarding the possibility of the upgraded version becoming available, but to me these were minor irritants. The person from JTP was in regular touch with me on the progress.

Post sale - i have only done 900km so far, the first service isn't due til the end of this month. However, within a month of buying the car i noticed a rust spot on the left fender. Man! It was a horrible feeling, all the friendly advice i had received against buying a Tata car flashed through my mind. I got in touch with the folks at JTP again who were very apologetic and the repainting was done in the next couple of days under warranty at a nearby service centre. Sure, someone at the dealership missed this out during PDI. I didn't see it either. Although i would have preferred that the incident never happened, the way the folks over at JTP handled the situation was very reassuring.

As for the car itself, it is a competent product which is reasonably priced. The performance offered is more than enough for the roads on offer in most parts of our country. In today's market scenario where some manufacturers simply do a sticker job to launch a "sports" variant, TATA/JTP have actually put in efforts to bring out a genuinely sporty variant of a regular hatchback. Quite appreciable if you ask me.

Tata/JTP really needs to advertise the car a lot more and while saying this i am also including the promotion of the vehicle in the showroom itself. This is a niche product and if the sales executives are properly motivated by means of better incentives it can do wonders for the sales figures. We as a nation are at a stage where such cars can and should be selling in reasonable numbers.

As for the increase in kit being offered with the upgraded variants, it is a welcome move. That said, the Tiago is due for another upgrade and the JTP with the new features may end up being behind the top end Tiago once again soon. I am okay with it, the way it pulls from 2nd/3rd and handles more than makes up for the lack of Android auto and what not to each his own i guess!
vik99 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 20:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:

The car is extremely small from inside and does not justify the price when Tata's are struggling both in PV and CV segments.
With respect to what?

I own a NA Tiago petrol myself and also have driven the JTP Tiago for a couple of long drives and I never found it ""extremely small". It is decently spacious for the segment.

Also, I don't think anyone is teeming it as a "psuedo hot hatch". Literally every person has had rave reviews and the JTP twins are one of the true soulful sports hatches to come out in quite some time in a price range flooded with ordinary cars.

And as @Latheesh said, for the extra 30K, you get auto climate control, a 7 inch capacitive touchscreen with android auto, auto folding mirrors, which is pretty good value.

Quote:
Tbh, my experiences with the JTP team have been fantastic. I have enquired about the JTP only once and they were more than interested to follow up. Also, I joined the JTP group to get some final opinion before taking the plunge and there are official representatives from the JTP team in the group and they were active 24/7 to sort out any issue, however small it might be, that was put forward by JTP owners.

One day, I posted a comment in the group that the JTP of a particular member in the group had some problems that were also present in my car ( Tiago NA ) and a JTP representative called me just after 10 minutes to enquire about the problems and offer solutions, thinking that I also owned a JTP. I was impressed that day, but absence of android auto was still the fly in the ointment then, now as it is finally added, I am thinking more seriously about an upgrade to the JTP.

Safe to say, my experiences with the Tiago and the sort of feedback that I see in the group towards JTP owners have a day and night difference.

Quote:
About the brakes, I agree. Although not rear discs, they could've improved the existing brakes as that was the ONLY weak point I found during my drives, in an otherwise soulful car.
40 lac fortuner does not have auto dimming irvms, and none of the cars in Tatas portfolio have it either, so they will have to source it from elsewhere, tbh, for the price it is positioned in, I do not mind. No other affordable hot hatch has 4+ airbags, IIRC.

But I still have to say that you have a point on auto dimming irvm. I cannot understand why some companies like Toyota, Tata and Mahindra ( although new xuv300 has it now ) aren't providing it in any of their cars, is it that expensive? It would've been nice to have it, but it is not a deal breaker.

Last edited by SaiSW : 15th August 2019 at 21:07.
SaiSW is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 21:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, you compare this car with one which is in the next segment and find it smaller - fair enough I guess.
Is Indica a car from segment above Tigor?

Quote:
There are products which are atleast 50% pricier and can seat only 2 at the back; so am gonna cut TATA some slack on this.
Agreed.

Quote:
I find the parts on Swift which is roughly 9L, at par or below the Tiago; similar for other products from Maruti...
Better not to say anything about Maruti quality! I never had a Maruti and the ones I have been in, to my personal standards always felt like built to cost.

Quote:
This is one of the few 'dual personality' cars... Few times when we realize "spec" need not mean everything (Just so you know, I had a first gen Swift D for 5 years / 80K kms and have a Palio GTX now and these are what I benchmark against).
I experienced nothing like that in my test drive. It was performing good. Brakes, adequate. I guess here it depends on individual preference and expectations.

Quote:
Now, I had one of the finest pre-sales experience for the JTP EVER!!! The guy was willing to give a TD as much as we want, always smiling, no frowning, genuinely wanted us to experience the product.
Lucky you!!! Seriously.

Quote:
Yes, there are things that could be better (high seating position, notchy gear shift, petrol only motor, 2 airbags etc), but nothing thats a deal breaker for me.
If you had seen my posts in the jtp thread, you would have understood how much of a fan boy I am of this car and Tata brand in general. Unfortunately, my sales experience was and to make sure I wasn't wrong I tried again and it still is the worst. This for me is a deal breaker and it broke the deal for me too!! I am not happy about it either, on the contrary I am saddened by the fact that such a wonderful product is getting wasted in the market because of some lazy salesmen/women.

I still love this car to the core and hopefully Tata sales will be someday good enough to allay my fears about them and help me to buy this car. The absence of tech goodies are fine by me because the body shell is strong and safe enough. The engine sound is something to enjoy.

To all who talk about wonderful experience with jtp guys, I was with my cheque book to the showroom and walked out with the same amount of leaves in my cheque book as I entered with.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 15th August 2019 at 21:36.
Old 15th August 2019, 22:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
To all who talk about wonderful experience with jtp guys, I was with my cheque book to the showroom and walked out with the same amount of leaves in my cheque book as I entered with.
I am not sure if JTSV/JTP has stationed people in Tata showrooms, I feel its regular sales personnel who also market the other products from the Tata stable.

Things seem to workout better when you route your interest via the folks at JTP, there is better coordination then.

@SaiSW: dude! Where is this JTP Group? I want in!!!

Last edited by ampere : 15th August 2019 at 23:38.
vik99 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed