Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2019, 17:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: First-gen Hyundai Grand i10 diesel to be discontinued

According to a media report, the first-generation Hyundai Grand i10 is likely to be sold alongside the upcoming Grand i10 NIOS. However, it might not get a diesel engine option.

Rumour: First-gen Hyundai Grand i10 diesel to be discontinued-grandi10.jpg

The first-generation Grand i10 might only be offered with a 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine, which produces 82 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 114 Nm @ 4,000 rpm. It is likely to be offered with a 5-speed manual gearbox only. This engine is expected to be upgraded to meet BS-VI norms.

The Grand i10 is expected to be positioned between the Santro and the new Grand i10 NIOS. The report also suggests that it will be offered in Magna, Sportz and Sportz Dual Tone variants. The car could receive minor updates in order to meet pedestrian safety norms at a later date.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 16:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

If this news is true, I find no logic in trying to continue the Grand i10 alongside the new Nios. Hyundai has the Santro, and the Elite i20 anyway on either side of the Grand i10,
So what point would the older grand i10 serve? I can think of only one reason, that is to may be continue to sell the older car to utilise some parts and may be position it as an entry level alternative to the Celerio and the Wagon R, which by the way is the job of the Santro. But considering Santro has not done so well, may be Hyundai wants to keep its options open.

Else it must be the BS 6. The newer nios may be BS6 compliant, and probably Hyundai wants to liquidate some older engines thru the current grand i10 for the next 6-8 months.

I would understand if Hyundai chose to continue the Xcent since its now a fleet favourite with Ola.
motorworks is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 20:10   #3
BHPian

Re: Rumour: First-gen Hyundai Grand i10 diesel to be discontinued

THANK YOU HYUNDAI, for not being like a sheep and ditch your diesels. Thank you. It takes some amount of faith to keep your diesels alive, and even more so to keep them alive in the small car segment.

The CRDi in the i10 may not be a scorcher, but it more than enough for someone looking for a fuel efficient car that does not turn out to be underpowered on the highway.

Meanwhile, concerning the article, I agree with @motorworks. It might make sense to only sell the grand i10 to the commercial market, like Maruti's TOUR versions, but selling them alongside the Nios doesn't make much sense to me. Seeing the grand i10 will lose the diesel and only Nios will have it, so which segment are they targeting, actually.

Maybe as @motorworks said, they do want to get rid of some engine stocks.

Last edited by SaiSW : 15th August 2019 at 20:12.
Old 15th August 2019, 21:23   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
If this news is true, I find no logic in trying to continue the Grand i10 alongside the new Nios.
Hyundai seems to sell two generations of this car at any time; first it was the i10 and Grand i10 (the global next gen). Now, the Grand i10 seems to return the favor. Given the below-par response on the Santro, Hyundai might just want to throw everything out there.

Sort of, if you can't convince them, confuse them!
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 10:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a media report, the first-generation Hyundai Grand i10 is likely to be sold alongside the upcoming Grand i10 NIOS. However, it might not get a diesel engine option.
The first point is not surprising, since Santro (old) was sold alongside i10 and i10 was sold alongside Grand i10.

What I find surprising is that Grand i10 would not get a diesel option. Or is it that private buyers don't get a diesel option, whereas the TOUR variants continue to get the diesel engine ?

Best thing from the customer's perspective is that they get to evaluate the Grand i10 (torque converter) and NIOS AMT side by side and choose the option which suits their needs better.

Rohan
Old 16th August 2019, 10:35   #6
BHPian

Spoke to SA from Kothari Hyundai, he confirmed that Grand i10 will not come with a TC based automatic. The production of the same was stopped around April 2019. So this confirms news already reported on the forum.

The Gi10 will also lose the Asta variants but he did not confirm about the car losing the diesel engine.
Old 13th November 2019, 18:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Grand i10 diesel discontinued

Hyundai is no longer offering the Grand i10 with a diesel engine option. The hatchback is only available with a petrol engine and in Magna and Sportz variants.

Rumour: First-gen Hyundai Grand i10 diesel to be discontinued-grandi10.jpg

The first-generation Grand i10 is available with a 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine, which produces 82 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 114 Nm @ 4,000 rpm. The engine is mated to 5-speed manual gearbox and is no longer offered with an automatic transmission option.

The Grand i10 also comes with a factory-fitted CNG kit. It uses the same 1.2-litre petrol engine. Running on CNG, the total power output of the engine drops to 65 BHP, while torque remains unchanged.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 18:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Hyundai Grand i10 diesel discontinued
So the diesel engine option will be only available with Grand i10 Nios?. Not with Grand i10?
Old 13th November 2019, 18:59   #9
BHPian

What happens to the Grand i10 Prime? Given that the Xcent will stay on to serve fleet duties, doesn't it make sense to retain the Grand i10 Prime diesel for fleet duties too?
Old 13th November 2019, 19:11   #10
BHPian

A friend of mine wanted to buy the automatic variant of Grand i10 which is available in sportz trim only. He went around Delhi NCR only to be told that Grand i10 automatic is no longer in production and Grand i10 manual is also being discontinued. The official announcement has not been made because of the huge inventory that is lying at the plant and with the dealers. This Grand i10 will no longer be made available with Euro VI norms.

He ended up buying NIOS AMT.
Old 13th November 2019, 21:03   #11
BHPian

I think they are planning to focus on NIOS and AURA for now

- Xcent Diesel in a stripped down avatar will cater to the cab segment and I'm sure the demand will be on the higher side considering Dzire diesel will be unavailable

- Grandi10 will attract people who want NIOS but want to save a lakh !
Old 15th November 2019, 01:22   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
- Grandi10 will attract people who want NIOS but want to save a lakh !
And we are one of them. Our 2010 i10 Magna 1.2 Kappa2 (read our initial post here) has crossed 1,47,000 kms and we felt it time to consider a change. Having had a memorable and trouble-free car these nine years, my wife and daughter refused to consider other brands and insisted only on a Hyundai car.

What expedited our decision for a new car during this Nov-Dec period was the fact that the Goa government has offered a 50% discount on road tax till December 31 and we did not want to miss out on this offer.

We had test driven the new Santro and felt that while its cabin space is better and more spacious than our i10, the Santro's 1.1 engine was not as smooth, refined or powerful as our i10's 1.2 engine. We then test drove the Grand i10 NIOS and Grand i10, noting that the ride on the Grand i10 siblings were far more planted and smoother than that of the Santro.

We now had to choose between the Grand i10 and the NIOS. We were clear about the preferred colour (white) and variant -- the Magna -- as this variant offered all our needed features and fitments. We were then told at Hyundai dealers in Goa that the NIOS had zero discounts and the on road price was Rs 6.6 Lakh.

We were then informed that the Grand i10 BSIV would have considerable discounts, but would depend on availability as the Grand i10 was being discontinued. The sales advisor checked and found out that a Magna (white) i10 was, in fact, still available at the factory.

What attracted us to the Grand i10 is that it comes with a Rs 75,000 discount (exchange bonus of Rs 30,000, cash discount of Rs 40,000 and Rs 5,000 as corporate discount). Besides, a non-metallic (white) colour is about Rs 4,000 cheaper than metallic colours in the Grand i10. We have been told that this difference in paint variants no longer exists in the NIOS.

In addition, our i10 was evaluated at Rs 1,25,000.

As a result, the on road price of Grand i10 Magna of Rs 6.5 L was now available to us at Rs 4.5 Lakh, making it an attractive option to us, as opposed to Rs 5.35 Lakh for the NIOS Magna. In addition, we have been promised with our three required accessories -- under body coating, seat covers and 4 scruff plates -- at no additional cost.

We have now booked the Grand i10 Magna.

Regards.

Last edited by misquitas : 15th November 2019 at 01:24.
misquitas is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed