Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2019, 15:23   #16
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo completes 10 years in India

Few days ago I thought of Polo. It's old age which is jazzier.
Lo and behold, it's a decade.

Maybe they took the below statement literally.

VW designs are timeless

and continue to save the costs especially after the scam.
procrastinator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 16:29   #17
BHPian

Even after 10 years, Polo still feels quite competitive to the options available in the market. It has a timeless design, solidly built, decent interiors and some of its options GT TSI, GT TDI, & GTI are too good. There is nothing wrong if they decided to continue with some cosmetic changes.
Lambydude is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 17:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

As one of the first owners of Polo on this forum, I am excited to be part of this journey of ten long years. My car is running as good as on day 1. Never felt a need to upgrade or none of the new cars pulled a string in my heart the way Polo did 10 years ago.

Though many other cars came and went during this period, I would thank VW for not spoiling this car of eternal beauty with mindless upgrades and quirky designs.

Arguably, Polo is the most popular car on the forum with most ownership reviews. The ownership thread with most views is also of a Polo (Gannu's, I think).

This car had huge potential, but never reached the masses and ended up as a premium city car in a country known for heard mentality and thereby flooded with tin cans.
poloman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 18:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

No offence to any VW Polo or Vento owners here but is celebrating 10 years of selling the almost same looking car is really a good idea?

Competition has moved and VW hasnt, in fact a slightly altered Polo with a GTI type nose is coming soon.

Yes, it couldve been a celebration thing with all the older models lined up IN FRONT of an all-new Polo.

To me, this 10 year celebration thing is like putting more a negative view than a positive one.
fx45 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 18:47   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
No matter what, I still think the Polo is the best looking 'small' car on our roads today, rivalled only by the Elite i20.
I'd put two cars above in the looks department: Maruti Baleno and Fiat Punto (the original Grande, not the Evo). OK, I suppose also the Toyota Glanza. OTOH the i20 would be below, in my ranking. The Polo certainly has good, classic looks.

Looking forward to seeing Tata Altroz on the roads.
Old 15th August 2019, 22:15   #21
BHPian

I feel great about the 10 years. My GT tsi is almost 7 and still feels good as new.

Would have loved if they made the GT available with the next gen chassis.
Old 15th August 2019, 22:38   #22
BHPian

Atleast VW was adding meaningful features in every facelift and the car is pretty loaded. We should recall how innova sold the same car for 10 yrs and increased the price from 7 lacs to 17 lacs by merely changing the numper.
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 00:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
No offence to any VW Polo or Vento owners here but is celebrating 10 years of selling the almost same looking car is really a good idea?
As a petrolhead, its the engine which draws me to the car. Trust me, Polo/Vento still has the best engine and gearbox combo. Even a decade old design, VW has kept up by adding features and appropriate engine.

1.2 TSi and 1.5 TDi are still unmatched by any manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Competition has moved and VW hasnt, in fact a slightly altered Polo with a GTI type nose is coming soon.
It will only adds to beauty of car. Take it from me, Polo with GTI bumper will turn heads & get second look wherever it goes, especially in red.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 00:55   #24
BANNED

Polo always pulls strings in my heart. I love it for its timeless design, decent looks both inside & outside.
Old 16th August 2019, 08:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

To me, this is the best looking hatchback in India. No other manufacturer has got the right mix sportiness and grace right.

And to be frank, I dont see much point in the argument of an aging platform or the same looks being maintained for over 10 years. Why change something if it is not broken ? There are no significant innovations in this segment from other manufacturers to make this platform outdated. It does everything the modern offerings from other manufacturers can. If VW can equip this car with six airbags, this will be the best diesel hatchback in the segment.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 16th August 2019 at 08:33.
padmrajravi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 08:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

^^It is not the product that is irking BHPians, it is how the brand treats it. Drive any new generation car and it is at least a bit better than the previous-gen car thanks to added safety features, greater chassis stability, torsional rigidity, etc. While I agree with you that Polo is still one of the best cars amongst its competitors, I think VW shouldn't treat Indians like second class citizens and could have had a greater market presence with the new Polo. I'd go as far as to say VW is lucky that the competition was lackluster- Hyundai took a couple of generations to make the elite i20 an all-round package. Suzuki Baleno is average and Honda isn't interested in selling the Jazz.

Toyota could have tried selling the same old Innova today, but it'd have had the Hexa and XUV 500 for competition.
landcruiser123 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 09:11   #27
BHPian

IMO, Polo is let down by the lack of interior space. It is easily a segment down on space compared to i20 and Baleno. I was very close getting the GT Tsi for my wife when she was put off by the cramped rear and voted for the Gi10 instead, inspite of it being the 3rd car in our garage. A roomier Polo would have certainly helped the numbers.
octane_100 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 10:30   #28
BHPian

I would call it as 10 years of Glory. Polo still turns heads even after being in the same shape for 10 years. The biggest let down though is the rear space. VW has tried to keep the bling factor in Polo with timely updates but, the need of the hour is a total revamp to the model. Hopes that VW stops mere planning for India and start acting.
Old 16th August 2019, 10:33   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Great little car that has aged so gracefully! I know, a lot of people criticize VW for flogging the same old Polo for donkey's years. But what can we expect when there is this 4m rule in our country which does not allow VW to launch their new gen Polo here without pricing it out of reach of its target audience? Designing an India specific Polo is not justified given the volumes. "The car still does decent numbers so what is the harm in keeping it on sale?" is what they are thinking. I can't fault their logic!

The series of upgrades have been good though, the little nip and tuck have been tasteful and not over the top, the addition of features are welcome and what we have is a very sorted and competent car. It does have its short comings, but then which car is perfect?

Proud to own two of the best iterations of the Polo, the GT TSI and the GTI and I can safely say these are two of the best hatchbacks this country has seen. Here's to 10 years of the Polo in India and look forward to many more with my own steeds
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo completes 10 years in India-img_3378.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo completes 10 years in India-img_6113.jpg  

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 16th August 2019 at 10:35.
Santoshbhat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 11:23   #30

To each their own but in a country where we see unnecessary cosmetic changes every 6 months for most of the car models, I feel we also need cars like the Punto and the VW Polo for those of us who do not like such constant changes that are done to cars these days.

Making things better is one thing but we all would agree that there have been multiple instances where the automobile manufacturers often ruin a perfect car design in the name of cosmetic changes these days (the current generation Fortuner for example).

I would've loved to see more Punto's on the road the same way we see Polo's. Who knows Punto could've also faired better numbers if they hadn't come out with that Evo facelift?

Having said this, my opinion is purely in terms of the exterior design. When it comes to the interiors and the rear leg room there should've definitely been some changes made to make the Polo better.

No offence to anyone, but when there are all of these cars which have new iterations coming up for them on a regular basis, why can't we just accept that there can be some of us who love the classy design of the Punto and the Polo and wouldn't like the manufacturers to fiddle with them?

Last edited by UK07Rider : 16th August 2019 at 11:29.
UK07Rider is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks