Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2019, 13:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Auto industry hails PM's assurance - Conventional engine cars will COEXIST with EVs

The lobbies (SIAM and Co) have done their job. Hopefully, OEMs will now properly phase-out ICE rather than lay-offs and price-hikes.

Am sure the Chinese will ensure the EV fire rages in our market and keep the other players on their toes. They can now strive hard for next decade market-share with less pressure on their backs. Hope the PM's statement is reflected by a stable policy soon.
vivee90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 16:56   #17
BHPian

Re: Auto industry hails PM's assurance: Conventional Engine vehicles will COEXIST with Electric Vehi

If the business is going dull, then why BP partnered with Reliance for a retail joint venture to set up 5,500 petrol pump outlets in 5 years. So, insiders already knew, that a complete ban on ICE is not in the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Reliance did open up to the retail sector with a huge network of outlets, but then stopped (and even absorbed the losses) due to the adverse situation due to regulated fuel pricing. This is the reason that there were many defunct bunks across the country.
india008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 08:09   #18
BHPian

Re: Auto industry hails PM's assurance: Conventional Engine vehicles will COEXIST with Electric Vehi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
When Reliance's main business is Petrochemicals the PM cannot wish away the sector. The Company is further strengthening its presence with few plans disclosed recently, (and I was always very sure hydrocarbons would run parallel to the electric initiative) - Otherwise, I would have disposed of my oil burner for a Kona, the coming January.
Please refrain from politically loaded statements.
By suggesting collusion between Reliance industries and the PM you are treading the thin line between objectivity and activism.
Cool_leo_guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 09:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Shouldn't the PM look after the business interests of the Country? Jobs are the 'Number 1' priority. How is it political? I would do the same. Anyways, if it is seen that way - request the mods to delete my statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_leo_guy View Post
Please refrain from politically loaded statements.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 20:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Shouldn't the PM look after the business interests of the Country? Jobs are the 'Number 1' priority. How is it political? I would do the same. Anyways, if it is seen that way - request the mods to delete my statement.
Dear Sebring,
I wholeheartedly agree that creating opportunities for employment should be the top priority for the government, and the PM should dedicate significant effort and resources to such end.

However, Reliance is but one player in petroleum refining and distribution business, public sector companies and a few private ones like Essar, Shell etc. being the others, not counting ONGC and the other exploration companies.
Petrochemicals, those apart from fuels and lubricants are not going to be too much affected by this electrification thrust.
So if you single out Reliance in your statement then even unintentionally your post acquires political overtones and points to the direction I mentioned earlier.
It is merely a request to avoid such insinuation and not to be taken otherwise.
Regards

Last edited by Cool_leo_guy : 19th August 2019 at 20:38. Reason: Revision
Cool_leo_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 22:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto industry hails PM's assurance - Conventional engine cars will COEXIST with EVs

Step in the right direction. We've seen too many half baked announcements in the past by the NITI AAYOG, which will make any automobile manufacturer jittery. Businesses like stability and clear cut policies, these sort of knee jerk announcements to ban ICE even while the industry is trying to meet BS6 norms is ridiculous. And if I was a automobile manufacturer, I would obviously wait on any fresh investments until I see clarity and market demand. Large parts of India have no access to electricity and hence it's wishful thinking to phase out ICE in the short to medium term. Good that Modi finally clarified things.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 11:31   #22
BHPian

A very interesting discussion. I feel the PM's statement is being wrongly interpreted. It does not mean that EVs are being shut out or Govt's now plans to encourage fresh investments into ICE tech. Also, I do not think this one statement is going to pull the auto industry out of the sales glut. The industry was uncomfortable about not being given enough time and incentive to make the exit or switch from ICE. It would now seem that this aspect will be addressed. The EVs are the future. Charging infra is a very important and challenging cog in the wheel. This will need very careful planning and a transparent, practical road map.
Old 20th August 2019, 16:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

They should at the very least make proper plug in hybrids compulsory for all vehicles by 2023. This is achievable today itself. I don't understand why the government is treating hybrids as the retarded step child. It will help develop battery pack technology too and ease the transition to electric
Old 24th August 2019, 12:38   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Government Departments To Start Buying New Cars Again To Support The Auto Sector .

Quote:
As an austerity measure, back in 2014, the government had imposed a ban on the purchase of new vehicles for all officials, including replacing old staff vehicles for new ones
Quote:
customers can continue to purchase BS4 vehicles right up till the deadline, and will be allowed to ply on the road until the end of their registration period. This means that all BS4 cars and bikes can be used and operated right up to the end of the tenure of their respective registration.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th August 2019 at 12:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks