Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2019, 14:13   #46
BHPian

Re: Nissan Kicks, Datsun GO & GO+ to get CVT option

I have not driven the new WagonR, Santro or this new Datsun CVT. But after having read reviews and opinions on T-bhp, I think the Datsun should now get its due (after the CVT addition).

If I were in the market for an automatic city runabout with roughly 5-5.5lakhs in the pocket, shouldn't this car be choice number 1? Yes Maruti has the service backing and Santro has the fit & finish but how much worse is the Datsun really? Shouldn't the CVT+1.2L engine alone make it superior to WagonR and Santro.

(of course I am speaking from my point of view as I am an engines fellow. The mass market might look at many other things. But even in that, I am wondering how much worse is Datsun that people would ignore it even after the CVT. Or would they? experts?)
sjain2054 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 14:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

It seems like it's too little too late for the Kicks. With just about 200 plus units being sold in September, despite being a part of the hottest segment of late.

It's a pity. Because there is nothing wrong with the car. It's quite a capable vehicle, priced competively. It's just the brand perception that's taken a hit.
Old 6th October 2019, 17:08   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
I have not driven the new WagonR, Santro or this new Datsun CVT. But after having read reviews and opinions on T-bhp, I think the Datsun should now get its due (after the CVT addition).

If I were in the market for an automatic city runabout with roughly 5-5.5lakhs in the pocket, shouldn't this car be choice number 1?
Unless you are over six feet tall OR slightly overweight OR you are particular about your left knee hitting the center gear console OR if you don't like seat belts snaking around without retractors ... Just to name a few.

The datsun go plus is shockingly poorly designed when it comes to comfort and utilization of space. Especially considering that it is a small car and even more shocking considering that it comes from a Japanese car manufacturer. Japanese are the masters of extracting every cubic inch of space.

I went to take a test drive because I was so excited about a no nonsesnse japanese car with 1.2 L CVT ABS EBD ESC.

I sat in the car, shook my head in disbelief and came home. Did not even bother to drive it.
rrnsss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 18:35   #49
BHPian

Datsun GO with CVT looks really good VFM. If I were in the market for an entry level hatch then this would be a serious contender. A.S.S would be one thing potential buyers will be thinking twice before making a decision.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th October 2019 at 17:49. Reason: Typo.
AutoInt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 20:23   #50
Senior - BHPian

CVT should be the preferred choice of autobox for small engine cars! AMT needs more refinement and probably is better with 1.5L + engines. Crawl function on most AMT cars are just terrible since engines don't have enough low end punch.

This car needs Nissan or Renault badge for it to sell IMO.
Old 7th October 2019, 10:03   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Crawl function on most AMT cars are just terrible since engines don't have enough low end punch.
I have very regularly driven the Tiago, AltoK10 (my own!) and Tigor AMT. The creep works like a charm even with 4 people on-board and AC. I didn't face a single issue or lack of forward movement so far. I'm a bit of a layman when it comes to how CVT is tuned & am really interested to know why would a CVT be better than AMT for creep with same engine? Engine power output is the same & what will make the difference is how the 1st ratio is tuned isn't it? Most are doing it well with a short 1st. If at all - the fault would be of the gear ratios rather than AMT I think.

That said - I agree that CVT sure is far more refined & better as a driving experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
This car needs Nissan or Renault badge for it to sell IMO.
That is/was already available as the Nissan Micra & Renault Pulse. This car shares their platform anyway. Just cheaper materiel to make it a lower cost proposition. I think the whole idea behind resurrecting the Datsun brand was to enable sale of similarly built cars at more competitive prices while ensuring the more premium badges don't get devalued. The whole plan became a bit redundant as Micra & Pulse didn't see much sales anyway.
Old 7th October 2019, 11:20   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I have very regularly driven the Tiago, AltoK10 (my own!) and Tigor AMT. The creep works like a charm even with 4 people on-board and AC.
AMT slips the clutch to move the car forward, this used to work well, as the miles pile on, I do feel weird knocking kind of effect! Happens only in extremely dense traffic when the AC compressor kicks in.

They probably ignored the AC load while tuning the AMT box, this happens with a friend's Tigor too! It was way worse with a Wagon R which is usually driven hard.

Driving a i10 afterwards felt like luxurious experience in comparison. AMT has a place in our mileage conscious market no doubt. BUT we do deserve other options too.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 7th October 2019 at 11:21.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 17:54   #53
Senior - BHPian

Datsun GO CVT and GO+ CVT launched

Datsun has launched the CVT versions of the GO and GO+ in India priced at Rs. 5.94 lakh and Rs. 6.58 lakh respectively.

Nissan Kicks, Datsun GO & GO+ to get CVT option-datsun-go.jpg

The Datsun GO CVT and GO+ CVT come with LED daytime running lights and 14-inch diamond-cut alloy wheels. Both cars come equipped with an infotainment system as well as safety features such as dual airbags, ABS with EBD and brake assist, reverse parking sensors and follow-me-home headlamps.

The GO CVT and GO+ CVT are powered by the same 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine, which produces 67 BHP @ 5,000 rpm and 104 Nm @ 4,000 rpm. The engine is paired with a continuously variable transmission (CVT).

The GO CVT and GO+ CVT are available in 6 colour options - Ruby Red, Vivid Blue, Bronze Grey, Amber Orange, Crystal Silver and Opal White

Variant-wise ex-showroom prices:

Datsun GO CVT

T - Rs. 5,94,464

T(O) - Rs. 6,18,015

Datsun GO+ CVT

T - Rs. 6,58,361

T(O) - Rs. 6,80,153

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 18:50   #54
BHPian

Re: Datsun GO CVT and GO+ CVT launched

I did a quick check and unless I am missing something, CVT would be almost 1.5 lakh more expensive (on road) than the corresponding manual variants!!

It would be difficult to justify such a premium and it is not even a proven CVT like that of Honda.

Last edited by amit73 : 11th October 2019 at 18:51.
amit73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 19:46   #55
Senior - BHPian

Re: Datsun GO CVT and GO+ CVT launched

If Datsun / Nissan was planning this price point, they should have considered reducing the price of Micra CVT; The price difference between manual and CVT is on higher side. A lac at the most was justified.

Go+ has to compete with Triber and a CVT alone cannot help sustain the volumes. Instead if Triber can get the Nissan CVT, it can add reasonable additional volumes. This way Nissan can enjoy the same privileges as that of FCA for selling the MJD engine.

Nissan can seriously consider selling CVT to other players / manufacturers. AMTs are no match for CVT - Play out Nissan !

Last edited by i74js : 11th October 2019 at 19:58.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 22:11   #56
Senior - BHPian

Datsun Go and Go + CVT prices announced, looks great from a not so great company, that may any time exit India.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...94-lakh-414472

Courtesy: Autocar India.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Kicks, Datsun GO & GO+ to get CVT option-go-go-cvt-prices.jpg  

Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 13:26   #57
BHPian

Great strategy and great pricing coupled with great products and wonderful service. This is Bull's eye move by the Japanese giant!

CVTs are great to drive and with Nissan's unmatched reliability and long term warranty plans, these products should up their sales charts .
Old 12th October 2019, 13:56   #58
BHPian

The Nissan Micra CVT was launched at exactly the same price in 2016, and with discounts now, the Micra XL is cheaper than the GO T option. I don’t understand how these cars will sell, when a better finished car from the same parent struggles.

And yes, with poor service and Nissan’s future uncertain, these cars will flop for sure.
Even a Santro or an i10 AMT is a better choice than these half-baked products.
Old 23rd October 2019, 22:10   #59
Senior - BHPian

Let's bid adieu to brand Datsun in the new year, Courtesy: ACI.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...n-brand-414626
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 06:56   #60
Senior - BHPian

Bye bye Datsun! Your CVT was much needed, and has brought in some respite, but it is short lived joy in your long innings. You squandered your chances here. We wont miss you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks