Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2019, 12:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Datsun GO and GO+ CVT launch in October 2019

According to a media report, Datsun is likely to introduce CVT variants of the Datsun GO and GO+ in October 2019.

Nissan Kicks, Datsun GO & GO+ to get CVT option-datsun-go.jpg

The report states that the CVT variants of both cars could be unveiled later this month. The cars are likely to get minor cosmetic tweaks and a new badge.

Apart from the CVT gearbox, no other mechanical changes are expected. Both the Datsun GO and GO+ are expected to retain their 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engines. The engine produces 67 BHP @ 5,000 rpm and 104 Nm @ 4,000 rpm. At present, both cars are equipped with a 5-speed manual transmission.

Source: Carwale

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 16:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Datsun GO and GO+ CVT launch in October 2019

In my opinion, Renault needs to put that engine and transmission after a slight tweak into the Triber. The CVT will do good job of pulling the load on typical light/medium inclines as well as initial acceleration from 0-40 kph. That will definitely quell any 'pick up' perceptions that may be in the minds of the regular drivers.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 17:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan Kicks, Datsun GO & GO+ to get CVT option

"To Little too late" is the adage that comes to mind! I think this may just remain a rumor and may never become a reality. What happened to the Go platform based smallish SUV that was to be launched? When Honda hasn't the 'balls' to give it's okay selling WR-V with a CVT, how come Datsun which is in it's death throes going to do it?!! In the cost conscious Indian market these transmissions add to the cost, that's reason we have the 'poor man's automatic' the AMT. Otherwise we would have Maruti and Hyundai launching their hatchbacks with CVT's instead of AMT.
Old 13th September 2019, 08:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Actually I am surprised why CVT based automatic systems haven't caught on in India. They are good enough for city usage, and depending on the engine size, can also perform decently on highways.If you perform timely maintenance, they are also quite reliable as compared to other forms. And definitely smoother than the 'jugaad ' AMT contraptions that have become popular these days.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 13:52   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Actually I am surprised why CVT based automatic systems haven't caught on in India. They are good enough for city usage, and depending on the engine size, can also perform decently on highways.If you perform timely maintenance, they are also quite reliable as compared to other forms. And definitely smoother than the 'jugaad ' AMT contraptions that have become popular these days.
CVT doesn't give the fuel efficiency that people want. CVT equipped cars are costlier to buy upfront. Nobody will buy a WagonR, Santro, Celerio, Tiago at the asking price when it is equipped with a CVT. If one starts installing CVT in cheaper cars, the question will be "Then why is a Baleno, Jazz, City priced so high over a Swift Dzire?!". Thin line to walk for business.

AMT is easier to maintain, cheaper to buy, has a very good Manual Mode that virtually converts the car into a normal manual one. Most importantly - it gives same or even more mileage than a manual transmission car. Thats the vital one for those buying a small first / only car for a family in our country. Not all can afford a costly CVT car. Its all about money.

Remember that CVT was always in a high price bracket. AMT actually made automatic cars affordable for the masses. Without AMT, you wouldn't see so many automatics on the road. Its a fact.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 22:59   #21
BHPian

Looks like media drives started and the launch is around the corner.

Nissan Kicks, Datsun GO & GO+ to get CVT option-screenshot_20190926225610__01.jpg
Old 27th September 2019, 13:15   #22
BHPian

The reviews are coming in.
shivamk11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 13:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-414240

Looks appealing but one has to be skeptical as to what to expect from Datsun India!! Cost would be ₹ 6-7 L is a bit high for a company that may exit India anytime soon with it's parent, Nissan.
Old 28th September 2019, 17:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Datsun GO CVT and GO+ CVT pre-bookings open

Datsun has started taking pre-bookings for the GO CVT and GO+ CVT. Customers can place their orders by paying a booking amount of Rs. 11,000.

Nissan Kicks, Datsun GO & GO+ to get CVT option-datsun-go.jpg

Both the Datsun GO and GO+ are expected to retain their 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engines. The engine produces 67 BHP @ 5,000 rpm and 104 Nm @ 4,000 rpm. The engine will be paired with a continuously variable transmission (CVT). At present, both cars are equipped with a 5-speed manual transmission.

Datsun is expected to launch the GO CVT and GO+ CVT sometime in October 2019.

Link to Team-BHP News
Old 28th September 2019, 21:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

It is expected that the CVT models will have a better tuned engine compared to existing manual transmission.

I am told it will be 77 bhp and 107 Nm torque. It has been done to minimize the technical work in adoption of Micra CVT.

Last edited by i74js : 28th September 2019 at 21:21.
Old 28th September 2019, 21:42   #26
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Datsun GO and GO+ CVT launch in October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a media report, Datsun is likely to introduce CVT variants of the Datsun GO and GO+ in October 2019.

The report states that the CVT variants of both cars could be unveiled later this month. The cars are likely to get minor cosmetic tweaks and a new badge.

Apart from the CVT gearbox, no other mechanical changes are expected. Both the Datsun GO and GO+ are expected to retain their 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engines. The engine produces 67 BHP @ 5,000 rpm and 104 Nm @ 4,000 rpm. At present, both cars are equipped with a 5-speed manual transmission.

Excellent move by Nissan, the global giant. With its power packed machines and proven quality, reliability, fabulous service and reasonable prices, Nissan should be able to sell these in quite big numbers.

The Kicks with its proven platform, excellent engine, outstanding ride quality and a long feature list will be an even better beast with the CVT!

Great start by Mr Rakesh and team.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 22:33   #27
bkc
BHPian

I guess, they'd use the existing setup thats doing duty in micra cvt.

The fuel average I get in micra is very very less, 9-10kmpl in bangalore traffic, would it work for datsun buyers? datsun is an economy brand.

Last edited by bkc : 28th September 2019 at 22:35. Reason: more info
bkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 14:35   #28
BHPian

Even Lord Indra's Airavata will not return more than 9 or 10 in Bangalore traffic !
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 15:22   #29
BHPian

Good move, but I fear it’s a little late, too late. The upcoming months’ sales will be interesting. Only if Datsun can improve the interiors a bit, and reposition themselves as “budget premium” instead of “cheap”. I’m keeping a close eye on this one; it’s a great differentiator in this budget segment.

I think it should go well with households seeking a daily beater or a second car for the city runs.
A significant portion of the buyers will be households who would already have automatic cars, and hence reject a jerky AMT.

Last edited by artemis_fowl : 29th September 2019 at 15:25.
Old 29th September 2019, 16:57   #30
BHPian

I went in to test drive the GO plus with the CVT. I sat in the car and the door handle was intruding into my right knee and the gear console was intruding into my left knee. The seating position is a bit too low.

The rear two rows seat belts do not have retractors and the interiors look very messy.

The interior design seems to be done without much thoughtfulness. I am not even talking about the materials or execution of ideas. I am simply talking about the design.

I was so disappointed that I left without even taking a test drive.

I did not expect such a poorly designed interior, especially from a Japanese manufacturer.

Last edited by rrnsss : 29th September 2019 at 17:00.

Most Viewed