Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2019, 12:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Honda won't launch the HR-V in India

I would actually applaud Honda for this decision.

The size / feature pack / price level for the current generation HRV (planned as CKD) would have made it a fringe player in the C2 or D1 segment where there are clear market leaders and a fierce competition for the next spots.

Honda India has, for once, realized that discretion is the better part of valor !

They should wait for the next generation HRV to be finalized, build up their tooling / manufacturing capability in India, do the world premier unveiling in India and localize the manufacturing so that they are in a position to compete on a price vs performance + features race.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th August 2019 at 13:10. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
blackasta is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 13:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Not brining in the HRV is something Honda would have discussed at length internally.

What surprises me is despite being one of the older player in the country, they have not managed to source a substantial localization component.

If it is because of the perceived Honda quality which in recent years is not what it used to be and with the local providers upping their game in quality, Honda is looking for excuses.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th August 2019 at 13:10. Reason: Minor spacing
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 15:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I would actually applaud Honda for this decision.

The size / feature pack / price level for the current generation HRV (planned as CKD) would have made it a fringe player in the C2 or D1 segment where there are clear market leaders and a fierce competition for the next spots.

Honda India has, for once, realized that discretion is the better part of valor !

They should wait for the next generation HRV to be finalized, build up their tooling / manufacturing capability in India, do the world premier unveiling in India and localize the manufacturing so that they are in a position to compete on a price vs performance + features race.
You have hit the nail on the head. They need to get the neXt generation model into India and that too by early next year. Feature pack it and try and achieve pole position in the market. If Hyundai can be number 1, there is no reason for Honda to not be No.1. Last i read, the next generation model is expected end of the year in its core markets.

I also feel the lack of success the Civic has had in India has also been a reason behind this decision. The HRV shares a lot of components with the Civic which itself will be a headache for Honda in 12 months time when the novelty has faded.
Old 30th August 2019, 16:06   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
They need to get the neXt generation model into India and that too by early next year.
Unfortunately for Honda, its a mathematical impossibility to achieve this. Getting a new car "reconfigured for Indian requirements" (i.e. cost cutting), then getting it homologated, tested & certified in India via agencies like ARAI will be step 1.
Followed by retooling the assembly lines, reskilling the manufacturing, serving & sales staff. This is not something that can be done in a jiffy. Will take an year to bring the car here at least. Honda has missed the bus pretty much for India & is not even walking towards the correct bus stop for the next one.
Old 30th August 2019, 16:18   #20
BHPian

It is disappointing that We don't have a compact SUV from Japanese manufacturers to fight the seltos / cretas / hectors / Harriers or the XUV's . ( Leaving aside kicks. would have loved the next gen terrano , but alas )

Honda pulling out the HRV is a loss for Indian customers . But it also shows how much Honda is committed to Indian Market. 10-15 Years in India with Products like city & Jazz, it is a bit of shame that they could not take advantage , localize & bring in the HRV at a competitive price to fight the newcomers .I am sure , a HRV priced in line with Seltos or hector will be a winner any day .

Personally there is no further hopes from any other Jap manufacturers in India except Suzuki if they collaborate better with Big T & bring the Vitara as rumoured
Old 31st August 2019, 00:17   #21
BHPian

When a real good competitor for the Honda City arrives here, Honda will probably go the Chevrolet way.
Old 31st August 2019, 08:56   #22
BHPian

Honda is not serious about even basic features like rear seat headrest and height adjustable seat belts. We were test driving a few cars and found much lower priced Maruti cars had them
MuzzledMoose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 10:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

I really dont know if apart form the City and now the Amaze, Honda is able to sell cars in any other segment.

The Accord of course did 0 numbers and the CRV even with its puny diesel is hardly moving.

They got in the civic thinking they would rule the segment again but after the initial excitement sales have dwindled though I ve been told that it still leads the D segment.

City is their bread and butter model and will continue to rule the segment until a really good alternative comes in.

Honda is slow and maybe hubristic to respond to market changes.
Old 31st August 2019, 11:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

They are probably taking a cue from the Civic launch. People are not happy with no diesel auto and no petrol manual. The HR-V was to launch in the same combo as the Civic Petrol-auto/Diesel-manual. How Silly of them to spoil the Civic party. I guess they don't have the "will" to get the turbo charged petrol here in India but they do offer the same to one of our unfriendly poorer neighboring country, a fact where I feel like questioning Honda's seriousness about being in the Indian market. They are just here to sell the City and probably will remain happy and contend with that.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 18:22   #25
BHPian

I have a feeling this car looks similar to TATA Nexon, it is only me or everyone feel the same

Our Auto industry has matured enough, when the luxury car makers are trying to manufacture everything in India, Honda cannot dream of bringing anything as CKD. It wil be suicidal to do it.

Honda should launch the next gen HR-V in India simultaneously along with the global launch.

Last edited by .HEM : 31st August 2019 at 18:26. Reason: wanted to add this point
.HEM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 18:50   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .HEM View Post
IHonda should launch the next gen HR-V in India simultaneously along with the global launch.
Yes, that will be a good idea instead of launching a model in its last leg of current gen. The HR-V is not huge, pretty much like the Creta. It is not as small as the Nexon.
Old 31st August 2019, 21:44   #27
BHPian

I think it's a practical decision. Looking at the competition, this car would not sell with the kind of features it offers and being at the last stage of its generation. Add to that they were going to make the same mistake that they made with the engine gearbox combo in Civic. They should look forward to their next gen City now and give their everything to keep the car one of the best in segment for the next five years at a competitive price. They desperately need it.
Old 1st September 2019, 10:36   #28
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support = Stop trolling & stop dragging Maruti in completely unrelated topics. You have been warned before as well.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd September 2019 at 07:40.
Old 1st September 2019, 10:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Looks like some great folks from VAG have switched sides to Honda.
Honda is clearly on a self destruct path.
These kind of decisions will accelerate its own destruction.

In a market where a 15lakh Suv like Creta can sell 10000 copies month after month, only collosal fools like Honda will chose to bow out.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 10:58   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
They are probably taking a cue from the Civic launch.
HR-V is priced above the Civic in countries like Thailand. With such low levels of localization, that should have been their plan for India as well.

Which could result in double the pricing of cars like Kia Seltos and MG Hector! Seltos starts at 9.6 and Civic at 18! Now imagine where the HR-V would have to slot in, despite being an outdated product in many respects!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st September 2019 at 11:03.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks