Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2019, 18:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Honda won't launch the HR-V in India

According to a media report, Honda has shelved its plan to launch the HR-V in India.

Rumour: Honda won't launch the HR-V in India-hrv_header_19.jpg

The report states that Honda had achieved around 30% localisation, but with 70% of imported parts, Honda would have been at a competitive disadvantage in terms of its pricing. Also, the slowdown in the Indian auto sector has forced Honda to revise its volume projection from 12,000 units to 8,000 units. This is said to have influenced the decision to scrap the plan to launch HR-V as well.

Honda had reportedly started trial production of the HR-V and built around 4-5 prototype vehicles. Mass production was scheduled to commence in December 2019. The car was showcased to dealers in Delhi in April 2019.

In India, the HR-V was expected to be offered with a 1.8-litre petrol engine mated to a continuously variable transmission (CVT). It was also rumoured to get a 1.6-litre diesel engine option.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 18:15   #2
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Honda won't launch the HR-V in India

To be very frank, I had my doubts on the 'supposed' launch of the HR-V right from the start.

It is great that the small number of fence sitters can now look forward to other alternatives.
AYP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 21:53   #3
BHPian

Thoroughly disappointing indeed!! Was banking on Honda springing a surprise for Diwali, but they never had the intent to go big with the HR-V since the very beginning.

With the VW twins likely to bring their cSUV offerings only in 2020/21, this is sure to bring smiles to the likes of Kia and Hyundai.

Ayukawa San, how about bringing on the S-Cross and Vitara with the 1.4 Boosterjet!? Anywhere south of 20L, you have a blockbuster in your hands.
Old 29th August 2019, 22:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Frankly the market conditions, Hector and Seltos must have done the HR-V in. Honda has lost the competitive edge in pricing. If the trend continues I'm afraid it may follow in the footsteps of GM and Ford. It should at least offer the WR-V with the 1.5 and CVT to spruce things up. It's seems to be just going with the flow not knowing what to do and that's not good for Honda!
Durango Dude is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 22:34   #5
BHPian

Why Honda why?! It was a slam dunk waiting to happen ever since this model came out in 2013 or 14 whatever was the year. All they had to do was bring it to India and get all the City owners who were upgrading to naturally gravitate towards it, and Civic owners to stay within the fold. But no, they left them all to fend for themselves and Creta lapped them up.
This time again, they would have had another opportunity - now that Indian buyers are getting used to ever increasing prices for even basic models. But no, they find it too risky still. Wonder what they are waiting for? It’s an easy enough equation. No risk = no return. Only the ignominy of eventually being bested by Kia awaits. Oh Honda!

Ok, rant over.. back to work everyone!

Last edited by mayjay : 29th August 2019 at 22:35.
mayjay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 22:34   #6
BHPian

Please find below the list of people who cared about this launch.

Thanks.
Mad Max is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 22:54   #7
BHPian

Re: Honda India : The Way Forward

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ns-axed-413951

HR-V launched apparently axed for India.
Wouldn't say I'm surprised!
Shreyas_H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 23:26   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Mass production was scheduled to commence in December 2019.
The current generation went on sale back in November 2014. We are already at the extreme end of its product lifecycle!

Looks like Kia & MG together destroyed their plans of launching the car in India by the end of its lifecycle, and actually selling it for a big premium!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 23:27   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda India : The Way Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ns-axed-413951

HR-V launched apparently axed for India.
Wouldn't say I'm surprised!
Yeah no surprise and a wise decision. They wouldn't have got much success with it. Too late to enter and fight.
It just doesn't look the part. The segment where it would land has Harrier, Hector, Seltos, Creta, Captur, Kicks, Duster, XUV500.

Barring perhaps the too old Duster, the HRV simply doesn't cut the cake as an SUV that we Indians like to see. No chance it could fight with Seltos/Creta.
Reinhard is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 23:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Makes sense. Honda would have thought of pricing it at a premium but the Seltos has just ruined everything. Honda cannot compete on price and not on features !

Besides this is already a 5 year old car. Why on earth would they want to bring it to India now ?

I feel it would have failed and hence this is the best decision they have made

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th August 2019 at 13:09. Reason: Minor spacing
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 10:44   #11
BHPian

Call it a bone headed decision from Honda! You guys have been in this country for such a looooong time and still can't get the localization part sorted out!! Shows how important a market is India for Honda!

In way yes, good to be pull out than get battered! With the 'astronomical pricing' strategy Honda generally employs, I am sure this baby couldn't have survived our brutal market!

Again, what is it that Honda imports from Japan that cannot be sourced locally?? I still don't get it

Last edited by vinair : 30th August 2019 at 10:45.
vinair is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 10:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Cant fault Honda with the decision. Having seen this vehicle, its not good looking and it wouldn't have looked good against its competitors here.

Above that Honda would have provided bare bone features yet priced it above others which would not have worked. The engines would be another drawback for the pricing. Its better not to introduce something which would be sure failure.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 11:16   #13
BHPian

Very disappointed with Honda on not bringing in HRV. I was looking forward for this model to upgrade my Jazz. Honda is too cautious in Indian market where it has sold cars for more than 2 decades.

I did see Kia Seltos which IMHO is more of features and bling. Not sure of driving pleasure as I haven't gone for test drive. I hope Honda considers launching HRV atleast next year

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th August 2019 at 13:09. Reason: Spacing
Old 30th August 2019, 11:59   #14
Team-BHP Support

Once upon a time, I'd have said they probably don't want to localise over quality concerns.

That myth is busted both ways: Indian component manufacturing quality has improved significantly, and Honda gave up on their trademark quality at least a couple generations ago on their Indian models, so it's a moot point anyway.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 12:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Was there anyone who was waiting for this? Honda is losing steam in Indian market, barring City/Amaze none of their products are doing good. I was hoping the Civic to do well, that too seem to be biting dust. Barring the 1.5L iVtec, all other engines are below par.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks