Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2017, 09:17   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cost for transfer of registration from one State/Place to another

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabelean View Post
1. When I pay road tax in Hyderabad will be be on the ex showroom price of the original invoice? Is there a provision to discount the ex showroom price since its a used car and has car value has depreciated as much as 45%(assuming its a 3 year car. IT act allow 15% depreciation)? Depreciated value consideration will significantly lower road tax load on me.
2. Once I pay road tax in Hyderabad, will I be able to claim back the road tax paid by the original owner in Delhi? Will it be paid back to the original owner or the present registered owner?
Thanks in advance for any help you are able to provide.
1. Pro rata based on the age of the car. See this link - http://www.transport.telangana.gov.i...-time-tax.html
14% if new, 13% for < 2 years, 2-3 years 12.5%, 3-4 years 12% (etc)

2. You can claim the tax back in Delhi but you will have to keep traveling back and forth between Hyderabad and Delhi, and the eventual airfare itself will probably be about as much as the refunded tax amount (which will also be pro rata based on the car's age). If you travel back and forth on business anyway that might be an option, else don't bother.

My personal suggestion would be to just buy a car in Hyderabad and not bother with buying in Delhi and transporting it across.

See several posts in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...nd-etc-38.html

Last edited by hserus : 17th March 2017 at 09:19.
Old 17th March 2017, 09:46   #107
BHPian

Thanks for the quick response

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
1. Pro rata based on the age of the car. See this link - http://www.transport.telangana.gov.i...-time-tax.html
14% if new, 13% for < 2 years, 2-3 years 12.5%, 3-4 years 12% (etc)
Is the 12% on the original ex showroom price or is it on the depreciated value of the car? Looked up but couldn't find an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
2. You can claim the tax back in Delhi but you will have to keep traveling back and forth between Hyderabad and Delhi, and the eventual airfare itself will probably be about as much as the refunded tax amount (which will also be pro rata based on the car's age). If you travel back and forth on business anyway that might be an option, else don't bother.
The car I'm looking at has an ex showroom price of 62L and the tax paid on it was about 6.2 lakhs. 6.2 lakhs is too much to ignore I feel. Even if I fly 10 times and stay in a hotel I might end up spending a lakh or thereabout and I'll still be saving quite a bit right?
Old 17th March 2017, 10:28   #108
Senior - BHPian

12% on the ex showroom price. Not a very good bargain for you.

So - 10% tax in Delhi. 12% tax on 62 lakhs is 7.44 lakh. And then you spend a lakh or so (and maybe some thousands in bribes or agent fees) to recover your 6.2 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabelean View Post
Thanks for the quick response
Is the 12% on the original ex showroom price or is it on the depreciated value of the car? Looked up but couldn't find an answer.

The car I'm looking at has an ex showroom price of 62L and the tax paid on it was about 6.2 lakhs. 6.2 lakhs is too much to ignore I feel. Even if I fly 10 times and stay in a hotel I might end up spending a lakh or thereabout and I'll still be saving quite a bit right?

Last edited by hserus : 17th March 2017 at 10:30.
Old 6th April 2017, 13:27   #109
BHPian

Hi

I know this has been discussed before but i need to take a quick call since i am in my Head office in Mumbai where i am disusing my impending move to Mumbai.

Leaving other issues aside my main worry is that my Nanook ( Creta 1.6 VTVT) is registered in Chandigarh. I have been driving it in Chattisgarh for last one year without issue as mostly i stayed inside plant.

Now with this move to Mumbai, my queries are as under
  • Can i drive in Mumbai for a period of one year before re-registration.
  • Can i pay an yearly tax and use it here.
  • In case of re-registration what is the tax (% of cost) here in Mumbai
Thanks in Advance.
Old 2nd May 2018, 14:32   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympal View Post
Hi, I transferred a Ford Fiesta from Delhi to Bangalore.
Thanks for sharing. I might be in a similar situation soon. Can you please share what all cost did the process incur and how much refund did you get?
Old 2nd May 2018, 15:14   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal.sushant View Post
Thanks for sharing. I might be in a similar situation soon. Can you please share what all cost did the process incur and how much refund did you get?
Contacted brokers in both Delhi and bangalore to do the formalities. Don't remember the exact expenses now, but the biggest was the Karnataka road tax component, about 1 lakh. Refund from Delhi RTO was about 30K.
Old 1st August 2018, 12:27   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quick question guys. I just bought new xuv (one month old) from canteen with HP number though i live in delhi. Now i have to shift base to Pune and would take my xuv along for atleast 2years.
So should i get Noc from HP rto and pay roadtax in pune and keep driving. Or do i need to change registration from HP to MH?

Whats the best solution as after 2 years i will be back to delhi.
Old 1st August 2018, 12:35   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Quick question guys. I just bought new xuv (one month old) from canteen with HP number though i live in delhi. Now i have to shift base to Pune and would take my xuv along for atleast 2years.
So should i get Noc from HP rto and pay roadtax in pune and keep driving. Or do i need to change registration from HP to MH?

Whats the best solution as after 2 years i will be back to delhi.
You can pay the road tax in MH for this period and continue to use the vehicle in Pune. There's no need for a NOC/re-registration if you wish to drive in MH for a temporary spell.

It would help if you brought along the original invoice for the XUV.

You may also be required to furnish an affidavit in Pune that the vehicle is meant for your personal use and you do not wish to sell the car in MH.
Old 1st August 2018, 12:56   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whats the best solution as after 2 years I will be back to delhi.
I'm guessing the owner is from the armed forces? In such a case, there are 2 options:
1. Tell cops you are transferred frequently and hence your car is registered in other state. Anyways you have 12 months before you must pay the extra tax. MH doesn't insist on changing the registration number as long as you are paying the LTT.

2. If you undertake road trips out of state, save the toll and other receipts which can be used as proof of the car not being in the state for that period. IMHO rules specify continuous stay of period more than 12 months for re-registraion / taxation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertillidie View Post
You can pay the road tax in MH for this period and continue to use the vehicle in Pune.
Unfortunately there is no yearly tax in Maharashtra. OP would have to pay the LTT which for a vehicle this new, would be significant. Had the car been 4+ years old, it would have made sense.

Related thread.

Last edited by blackwasp : 1st August 2018 at 12:59.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 14:47   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I'm guessing the owner is from the armed forces? In such a case, there are 2 options:
Anyways you have 12 months before you must pay the extra tax.

2. If you undertake road trips out of state, save the toll and other receipts which can be used as proof of the car not being in the state for that period. IMHO rules specify continuous stay of period more than 12 months for re-registraion / taxation.
Yes its under my Father in Laws name who is from Air Force.

So for initial 12 months i am ok to drive in Pune. Fine.

Just thinking out loud. What if i travel outside of MH on lets say 10th month of my stay in Pune for few days and then come back with all toll slips, hotel bills etc. Will that renew my 12 month free drive period from that day onward?
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 15:18   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What if i travel outside of MH on lets say 10th month of my stay in Pune for few days and then come back with all toll slips, hotel bills etc. Will that renew my 12 month free drive period from that day onward?
Do a PUC as well when you are outside. Won't cost you much, but keep that handy as well. You just need the toll/fuel receipts + PUC. No need for the hotel receipts. It'll also help if your driver's license is from some other place.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 15:25   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Do a PUC as well when you are outside. Won't cost you much, but keep that handy as well. You just need the toll/fuel receipts + PUC. No need for the hotel receipts. It'll also help if your driver's license is from some other place.
Cool so this trick will work. GOA here i come .Oh yes my licence is from Delhi.

Last edited by nitinralli : 2nd August 2018 at 15:28.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 15:40   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What if i travel outside of MH on lets say 10th month of my stay in Pune for few days and then come back with all toll slips, hotel bills etc. Will that renew my 12 month free drive period from that day onward?
When Bangalore police decided to go against other state cars, they by-passed this rule by standing outside IT parks and office complexes.

Legally though - you are not wrong in doing so, specially if you drive to the home state and back once in a while.
Old 5th August 2018, 08:20   #119
BHPian

Armed forces and central government employees are exempt from having to re-register and pay road tax as long as they are in a transferable job. A friend, working for a central service wanted to have his Honda City re-registered in Bangalore and was told by the RTO official that re-registration is required only if the stay exceeds 2 years. This may vary from state to state.
Olympal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 13:09   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
When Bangalore police decided to go against other state cars, they by-passed this rule by standing outside IT parks and office complexes.

Legally though - you are not wrong in doing so, specially if you drive to the home state and back once in a while.
Keep a Fastag on your car and say you drove over for meetings and to see some relatives.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks