Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2019, 12:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Surprise! Nissan India ropes in Rakesh Srivastava as MD

I think this could be the last serious attempt from Nissan to have business continuity in India. Rakesh Srivastava has a great track record in automobile sector. Part of it is also because of his association with established companies like Maruti and Hyundai. At the same time, he has been a known genius on sales and marketing which is what Nissan lacks today. With the shelving of EV project, Mr Srivatava would have wanted to return to passenger car segment and this could be the best available opportunity. I am hopeful that he can turn around the company provided Nissan HQ gives him free hand.

Nissan has some competent products today and also has entry level models under Datsun. What they all need is introducing some latest features, sprucing up interiors, bringing in long term service packages(promise to keep service costs low) and free extended warranty. If they have a buy back option after 5 years, it will be further sweeter. Most importantly, price it aggressively for next 2 years to build volumes.

It would be good for all consumers if this revival happens and we have Nissan continuing! Good luck to him.
Old 4th September 2019, 12:45   #17
A M
BHPian

I didn't know about Mr. Srivastava but reading the comments above makes me believe that we might finally get to see some good Nissan products from their global portfolio on our roads.
Old 4th September 2019, 14:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Its the PRODUCT that eventually makes or breaks a business.

Unless you have the Building Blocks in place in the form of products that people want to buy, one can't expect miracles out of Sales, Marketing, Promotion, Branding Depts.

What Nissan (GM India is another example) needs are Winning Products and Personnel who can design & plan them specifically for India.

Get the Product right, everything else eventually falls into place. But its easier said than done.

Last edited by payeng : 4th September 2019 at 15:06.
payeng is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 15:29   #19
BHPian

Since Ghosn took charge at Nissan, the European lobby & the Japs have constantly been at loggerheads. Ghosn institutionalized this culture to exert his hold over the organization. His arrest & continued legal troubles are the fallout.
Ghosn was very bullish about the Indian market. However, Nissan is dismantling his legacy & the incumbent CEO has commented that they will exit markets where Nissan is struggling.

This brings us to Nissan India. Since they set up the Chennai factory, which they share with Renault, the innovative products always got the Renault badge. Duster, Kwid & now Triber. The lemons got the Nissan/Datsun badge.
A history of shoddy products, irate customers & dealers who ran up huge losses have brought Nissan to this juncture.
Looking back at their short & chequered history it appears they took the Indian customers for granted. Now they have appointed a distinguished Auto professional. Will that turn around Nissan's fortunes? Unlikely.

The tea leaves foretell, Nissan is in exit mode. Globally they have huge challenges like falling market share, aging products & plunging profitability (their Q1 2019 profits were lower by 95% over the same period last year).

So I wonder if they are really concerned about their little outpost in our corner of the world.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th September 2019 at 15:43. Reason: edited for better readability
laser2707 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 16:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Does Nissan have any new products in pipeline? .
I had the same question in my mind. Nissan has nothing exciting in its portfolio or its pipeline. It wont sell even if they made it in gold. Someone like Mr.Srivastava can turn around say a skoda that has great products and where the problem is with sales and customer service. But with Nissan, its a completely different story.

On the flip side, someone of his stature and reputation wouldn't join Nissan without a reason. Lets see.
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 16:26   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm lost. Why hire such a highly rated, respected & proven person at this post for a simple job of closing down a company's business in India? Any experienced chartered accountant would have achieved it.
Or he was getting bored after leaving Hyundai and and no-go in the EV business he entered? Perhaps this is a good pass time to stay in touch with the auto industry without much work pressure as such. Perhaps he is doing it for free! Just kidding.
Old 4th September 2019, 17:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
While i personally believe that this may not be a good step from Rakesh Srivastava but the JSW project that he joined post Hyundai has been shelved. I think he had limited options.

My thoughts exactly! I will be happy to proven wrong. Nissan is lucky to have him now. Nissan is any-day better brand than MG. Rakesh needs do the same magic which he did for Maruti and Hyundai but in a bit different way. The Indian Car Scene is rapidly changing. MG and KIA has taken customers expectation to next level. Good Luck Rakesh!
K_Drive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 18:05   #23
BHPian

As had been quoted by a mod in one of the previous posts, Nissan already has a very competent and well priced car in one of the hottest segments, the Kicks. After the last variant rejig its one of the few decently priced SUVs.
All they need to do is to go aggressive. High visibility campaigns and displays in the malls. Attractive finance and warranty schemes and other such packages. They have the product, they just need to instill some confidence in the brand. And keep an eye out for rogue dealers and ASS. Not a tough one !
Old 4th September 2019, 19:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Everyday on my way home I see KIA showroom and quiz myself on how a brand new OEM in Indian shores with just one product and an average retail price of 14 - 15 lakhs managed to sell 6000 units in the first month ? The answer is Marketing.

I am not saying Rakesh will be the answer to Nissan's trouble here in India, at least it gives hope for the dying OEM. Let's not forget some of the brilliant cars in their line up; Micra, Sunny both are very well appreciated by folks who own then. And then Kicks which has a huge potential in the current market's love for SUVs

Finally, as automobile lovers it's good for us if there is a healthy spread of options rather than a couple of markets leaders !

Totally agree with your though of healthy spread of options.

Many a times while discussing with friends on their car purchase, saw their inclination towards non maruti / hyundai for the car but not for OEM. We need more robust OEMs for the potential of the cars they have.
Yes, Micra and Sunny are very good cars but from poor OEM, Kicks again is a great SUV. Even nissan leaf which is great success globally would be coming in india which needs strong OEM brand presence.
Definitely, OEM brand helps for good cars to reach their potential
Old 5th September 2019, 05:10   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai's Rakesh Srivastava to join Nissan India

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post

lack of proper leadership has been one of the key reasons behind company’s dismal performance. Now, it has to be seen if the company has finally hit the nail right

He played a key role in capturing 16 per cent market share for Hyundai

instrumental in the launch and success of key products like i10 Grand, Verna, Elite i20 and Creta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Rakesh Srivastava, IMHO, is an absolute genius!

Wondering why he's joining a loser company like Nissan India though :Shockked.
If Nissan weren't serious about upping their ante, they wouldn't have gone on to hire a top gun of Rakesh's calibre.

For Rakesh, it is good that he is now back into familiar turf.

They have a great product in Kicks and let's see how Rakesh takes this and others forward.

The best in a person comes out in the worst of circumstances - joining a loser company with dismal performance and moving the needle is better than just coasting along in a big major.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 08:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
In our SUV crazy market the Kicks is all that a company needs to sell decent numbers.
I agree Vid, people pounce upon Renault or Nissan if their vehicle is based on an old platform. Kicks is a very good car, the pricing went against the brand image.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 10:49   #27
BANNED

Nissan India confirms appointment of Rakesh Srivastava as new Managing Director, reports to Sinan Ozkok the President of Nissan India Operations.

According to Sinan Ozkok, “I am pleased to welcome Rakesh to the Nissan India team. With his rich experience and deep understanding of the Indian market, I am confident he will strengthen our sales and marketing functions and successfully deliver our customer-centric strategy.”

Rakesh Srivastava said: “I am excited by the opportunity to build and strengthen Nissan operations for our customers, partners and employees in India. Nissan is an iconic global brand and its leadership in technology and innovation will be a key driver and differentiator towards delivering value and aspiration to our customers in this competitive market.”

Source
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 17:03   #28
BHPian

I hope Mr.Shrivastava does manage to get the front end in shape. I am seriously looking at Kicks CVT as my next car
Old 5th September 2019, 22:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Attachment 1912298
Srivastava, who has over two decades of experience in top two Indian car companies – Maruti Suzuki India and Hyundai Motor India will be taking charge on September 5.
Are they planning to bring Leaf and Rouge to India ?
Old 5th September 2019, 23:26   #30
BHPian

Given the serious slowdown, brand Nissan is as good as dead.

Only thing that can save them is selling a premium car at a very affordable price with a lively after-sales support system.

Unlikely. Yet, this is probably an attempt to build a partnership for sales & service (like Tata-FIAT used to be) to help keep their brand alive until economic conditions stabilise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser2707 View Post
...So I wonder if they are really concerned about their little outpost in our corner of the world.
Indian auto industry is the 4th largest in the world. From affordable to premium cars, given the brand - anything is possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks