Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Automobile fire sale Q1 2020?
Naah, Govt will extend the date. 51 13.60%
Yes I will wait for a Fire sale. But current slowdown has nothing to do with my decision to wait. 168 44.80%
Yes I will wait. I know others who are waiting. Slowdown is getting worse due to this. 125 33.33%
I cant wait. I need my car now. 31 8.27%
Voters: 375. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2019, 12:26   #31
BHPian

Re: Car buyers - Are you awaiting an automobile fire sale in Q1 2020?

Not waiting for any sale; thing is, there is no car available around 20 lakhs that make me thinking about buying. I am planning to buy a car for more than a year now. But I am still using my 2010 Ritz Zxi. Because either I am not seeing a value proposition or lack of "peace of mind" (read skoda). Price is so irrational for each and every car available today in market; and Bangalore road (plus traffic), I am putting away my desire to buy a new car. Then, companies doing cost cutting for example by putting an AMT instead of a traditional auto box, but that cost cutting is not reflected on the car price(difference between a manual and AMT is almost a lakh or more; as if it is a CTV or TC or DCT). Similarly for each and every feature, over the years we can see cost cutting with a increased price. And features that are getting added (some of them might be useful) are gizmos and not much in mechanicals. I am sort of waiting when my almost 10 years old car shows sign of old age, and then I would hit the market and buy whatever fits the bill with required features.
dipdawiz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 12:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

The car manufacturers are themselves to blame for this mess!!! They have kept on steadily hiking the prices so much over the years that people have slowly realised that they were being taken for a ride all this while.

Just look at this example. When we bought the i20 Asta in 2009, it costed Rs 6.3 OTR Junagadh. In 2014, when we bought a 'smaller' Grand i10 Asta(O), it costed Rs 6.81 OTR Mangalore. Now in 2019, at roundabout 6.81 lakhs, you get an even smaller Santro Asta!!!!

I understand the effect of inflation, but this example shows how at the same price, small cars have actually jumped one segment higher. I feel car manufacturers are ignoring this. Even if GST is reduced, I feel the reduction in car prices will be in effect for a short time and the same circus of increasing prices blindly will start again.
skanchan95 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 13:45   #33
BHPian

Looking at the responses, I think we should have the choice "I'm NOT interested" or "Doesn't Matter to Me" added to the poll options. Like for most other enthusiasts on the forum, there is nothing remotely interesting about the current crop of cars to make me wait in anticipation for the so called landmark transition that will take place in Q1 2020.

The very rare occasions when the prospect of trading in my existing car for a hugely discounted BSIV car in Q1 2020 crosses my mind, I just take my 9-year old Laura TSi for a late night spin and sanity prevails.
greenoval is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 13:48   #34

I think people have realised how cars are not luxury anymore. Small cars aren’t aspirational (most of them being used as taxis/ costing north of 10 big ones). The bigger ones just aren’t value for money, not to the guy who’s upgrading (the delta is too big) neither to the first time buyer.

Earlier the replacement cycle used to be 5 years simply because there was a world of a difference between two generation of cars - and at 30-40k more than the previous purchase price. But not anymore.

Previous gen 7-8 year old cars are good enough when compared to what’s on offer in the market right now. Suzuki is still selling the 1.3 diesel and the 1.2 K12; Honda won’t move beyond the 1.2 and 1.5 iVtecs (could you please, for the love of god, add a turbo maybe!).

As a guy who’s recently started working, my priorities have straightened - I just cannot part with my money for something that I know is just an old gen car with just added DRLS and a touchscreen!
I cannot go premium as that’s unaffordable and even if I went beyond my means and decided to, I’ll never be able to use the horses under its hood to use as I’ll forever be stuck in traffic jams!

I have taken solace in the fact that I would never, in this lifetime, be able to purchase a new vehicle. Not because of un-affordability, but because my brains won’t let me! There just isn’t any value out there.
Angadk is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 14:05   #35
BHPian

I agree with the views shared on this thread, the people to blame for this slowdown are majorly the manufacturers themselves and to one extent the government.

The Government because -

1.Taxes on vehicles are insane after considering the insurance, interest & registration charges that we have to bear anyway and though I wouldnt say this needs to be reduced all across, I would say it needs to be balanced.

2.Their hasty implementation cycle for EVs. I completely doubt the fact that India can achieve the 2030 goal of complete EVs because come on lets be real, we dont even yet have enough electricity to run the existing demand for the country. Besides I am against EVs being a major "pollution solution" because the pollution which will be caused to cater to the additional electricity demand will itself outdo the benefit. The best option in my opinion is proper Hybrid cars. So all of this EV run has caused an uncertainty on the ICE engines and going by the reputation of the Indian governments, a media statement that ICE & EVs will co-exist, doesnt really address that uncertainty, a law passed in favor of ICE cars would be a definite boost and they must promote hybrids instead of EVs which I believe will be easier to achieve by 2030 and not only will we save our environment to an extent but also be able to use the electricity for growth.

3.Timing. I mean they are spending crores across the country to expand the road network and on the other hand they want to discourage ICE car use when there is no good EV available in the price bracket for the common man and then they still want us to buy the cars so that the auto sector does not suffer and employment can be maintained.

4.The new motor vehicles law which has led to an increase in fines, to some extent I have seen un-necessary challan-ing in my city which is not a welcoming thing to do when you want to see people own cars.

The Manufacturers because -

1.Too much price for too little value - We are paying a million bucks for hatchbacks that start to rattle within a few months of ownership, quality of materials used is poor, though safety has improved on the whole, small bumps cause large dents to your pocket. They need to get serious about the Indian customer and keep the pricing in check. For an example, honda city V costs 13.30 on road mumbai which is comparable to Verna SX costing 11.80 on road mumbai, I would agree on a premium of upto 75-80k for the honda but 1.50 lacs is an overkill.

2.Dealer treatment. So I have been in the market now for a long long time searching for something worth replacing my swift at under 15 lacs and every time i walk into any showroom - "Welcome sir, so you are interested in XXX car (he hands over the brochure and the pricelist) this variant has this feature sir that variant has that feature, this is how much it will cost you and if you book it by this date we can deliver the car to you in a week". That is the 1st interaction...I repeat, the 1st interaction! you face when you expect to converse with a sales advisor to know about the car first. Ofcourse I know its price range that is why I walked into your showroom right?

In comparison previously the 1st interaction used to be walking up to the display car and showing you around the car explaining everything your eyes cant see and then offering the test drive and then talking about the price & features.

Another thing are the test drives. They make you sign a declaration which makes the car your responsibility through the entire duration of the drive and then they will send a nut with you in the car who will be poking you each time you exceed a speed of 60 kph and then the route itself would be through some trafficy metro work laden route with no more than 15-20 minutes for you with the car.

Tell me one thing Mr. dealer, would you buy a car worth 15 lacs after spending just 15 minutes with it and not knowing how would it behave on different kinds of roads?

Then comes transparency, I asked a few of them to share the parts price list of the car and they stopped following up with me to visit their showroom and book the car...What the??

And writing mails & making calls for these issues to the manufacturers dont help because they simply choose to not respond making you feel like you are the mad man!

3.Variant strategies. for example, my essentials on the car are Airbags, ABS, EBD, BA, TCS, fog lamps, power adjustable mirrors, reversing camera with 4 sensors, infotainment system. None of which I believe are too much to ask on the mid or even the lower variants, but as I observe, lower and mid variants these days are just to show that we havent gone insane with our pricing, see the car price starts from 9.69 lacs. And what about the outrageously priced variant at 13.79 lacs? even that doesnt have a TCS!.
The AG 6167 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 15:07   #36
BHPian

I haven't voted for any option since my 2015 Figo is as good as new at 35kkm on odo
gauravanekar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 15:21   #37
BHPian

I agree with most of the views expressed here. Once more fact which i will light to bring in and i think that should also be an option in this poll is that "Fire Sale in Q1 2020 wont come ". I actually was looking for that option, but it was not there.

When BS IV came in there was no clarity on the time available for the registrations of BS III vehicles post 1 April 2017. OEM manufactured till last date i guess clarity came around 15 days before that registrations will also be not allowed post 1 April.

But this time, situation is different , everyone has clarity about BS IV registrations not allowed post 1 April. OEMs are planning there inventory carefully. In fact, Maruti Suzuki has also launched BSVI in 6 models already. So huge discounting may not happen. If i were to ask i would suggest now is the time to go and buy, bargain and get the best deal.
Autolock123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 15:47   #38
BHPian

I would say NOW is the best time as I just personally closed a deal with 2 lakhs off the OTR and taking a delivery tomorrow!!
Krishnan83 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 16:00   #39
BANNED

I have a Mahindra Verito and a Corolla.....both cars have 7 more years more to go. Do not see any better options in the sub 15 lakhs on road price band.

Used cars are comparatively cheaper than the new ones so even if I change most probably will be a used car.
anjan_73 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 17:10   #40
BHPian

I have 2 cars : City - 12 yrs/140K odo and Ecosport - 6 yrs/104K odo. Except for consumables, have not had any major issues with either of them. But every now and then this thought of upgrading/ replacing these cars comes to mind, especially with this fear that soon one of them may break down/ need overhaul. I would have tested almost all sought after ones between 15-25L (including the bling launches). Sales reps have been hounding me for an year now but I haven't been able to decide primarily because :

1. Price to Value - besides bling and maybe an autobox, there's nothing like an upgrade with the available options
2. Traffic - Driving pleasure is long lost, so why spend the money?
3. Recession fear - Winter is coming so might as well save for it

Only a 'too good to be true' deal would offset the above considerations for me, hence option 2.
Rajiv0909 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 17:29   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
I am looking for a sub 20 Lakh station wagon/ MUV with Proven Crash worthiness, Airbags, Modern Automatic (not Maruti 4 speed) , Cruise Control, Fully flat folding rear seats, a powerful AC and a 100 Bhp + Engine.
The Hexa ticks pretty much all the boxes. Apart from the flat folding rear seats.

Last edited by aah78 : 6th September 2019 at 19:26. Reason: Quote trimmed.
thedragonreborn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 17:45   #42
BHPian

I am waiting, my previous i20 is doing great and running as good as new even after 6 years, it has basics like good ac, all power windows, good music system in place , so any new upgrade has to feel like an upgrade, with same engine and few cosmetics it does not seem worth while to invest 10 lacs where my current drive can easily serve me for 3-4 years easily.

What I am intrested in a mature electric vehicle with 300+ kms range under a million INR and that should include all that one gets in a standard car.

This day is not far and I feel deliberately delayed.

Look at mobile phone batteries since 10 years, they were huge, heavy, unreliable, risky, poor backup, poor shelf life and now they are sleeker, slimmer, powerful, with fast charge in an hour for a full batter lasting 2 days.

Why cant such innovation happen in Cars ? electric cars to be precise, isn't battery and charging the most big so called bottle neck at the moment.

Once again I say its deliverately delayed and laziness on part of the auto industry on not coming up with market worthy electric options.

Its only a matter of short time when one will be forced to innovate and release a product which will become huge hit setting market on fire, and other will have no other option but to follow.
xway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 18:09   #43
BHPian

I think @The AG 6167, @ angadk and @ skanchan95 have expressed my thoughts perfectly below.

Nothing more to say.

Bring on the Fire Sale!!

Regards,
SS
Old 6th September 2019, 22:23   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan83 View Post
I would say NOW is the best time as I just personally closed a deal with 2 lakhs off the OTR and taking a delivery tomorrow!!
Wow that's great!! Can you please elaborate as to which car did you go for?

I'm myself in the market for a new car. I'm waiting for the GST cut and the festive season. Have narrowed down to EcoSport and Aspire.
rohitlp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 22:54   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Sadly there is no car in the market that I desire even if given at half the price.

I am looking for a sub 20 Lakh station wagon/ MUV with Proven Crash worthiness, Airbags, Modern Automatic (not Maruti 4 speed) , Cruise Control, Fully flat folding rear seats, a powerful AC and a 100 Bhp + Engine.

The only car that I am interested in gawking at is the Triber, but it has no automatic or a decent engine.
Sir, have you given Honda BR-V cvt a try/test drive? Even am in the market looking for a station wagon like vehicle with an Automatic transmission. Apart from the bare-bones dash/interiors, the vehicle is competent in almost all the areas.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks