Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Automobile fire sale Q1 2020?
Naah, Govt will extend the date. 51 13.60%
Yes I will wait for a Fire sale. But current slowdown has nothing to do with my decision to wait. 168 44.80%
Yes I will wait. I know others who are waiting. Slowdown is getting worse due to this. 125 33.33%
I cant wait. I need my car now. 31 8.27%
Voters: 375. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2019, 09:50   #16
BHPian

Re: Car buyers - Are you awaiting an automobile fire sale in Q1 2020?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
I don't know about everyone else, but I can say for myself and others in my family who are looking for a new vehicle that there really isn't anything exciting in the market at a reasonable price right now. Under 20 lakhs, there is not a single vehicle that ticks all the boxes and 20 lakhs is not a small amount. Vehicles have only become more and more expensive in the last 6-8 years and I think the slowdown is self inflicted more than anything else.
I have to agree. My Vento has clocked over a lakh kilometers and while it still drives like a dream, niggles have started cropping up a making it just uncomfortable to own for someone like me who has a little-fuss requirement. But the many times I have stepped out, there's just nothing that I like. Other than perhaps the Octavia (due for a replacement soon? And a tad out of my reach once bells are added). The cars have become so horribly overpriced and somehow feel poorer made. Add to that, news pieces like VW's new (already poorer?) platforms being re-engineered "for India" to "save costs" makes me all the more nervous. I canot help but feel that India's being treated like a second-grade market by even reputed players, worse than even Southern American markets. Sad.
Annibaddh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 09:57   #17
BHPian

Am eagerly waiting for the Harrier 170 bhp version with Diesel automatic and sun-roof. Currently, Seltos and even Hector are far more promising and a better value than Harrier. Seltos - has quality interiors, superb ICE and design going for it self, while Hector clearly has a better engine and size. Additionally I don't see any reason to buy a BS4 model with only a few months left for the major change to BS6, might as well wait for like 6 more months and get a better car - ready for the future.
Old 6th September 2019, 09:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
I don't know about everyone else, but I can say for myself and others in my family who are looking for a new vehicle that there really isn't anything exciting in the market at a reasonable price right now.

Vehicles have only become more and more expensive in the last 6-8 years and I think the slowdown is self inflicted more than anything else.
Agree to this wholeheartedly - some part of the slowdown can be attributed to the extreme price increases that the manufacturers had brought about across their line ups in the last 8 years or so. A decade ago, 15L would get you a handsomely specced vehicle from a reputed brand - now look at where the Creta or the Camry is priced. The chickens have come home to roost.
iceman. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 10:14   #19
BHPian

I almost decided on buying a new car in April but had to put off due to some circumstances. Later I was advised to wait till April 2020 (with good reason). Now, I’m not sure if it makes sense to go for a car which claims to be BS6 compliant or are there more changes needed in those models to suit the new fuel (which isn’t available yet) and also the upcoming crash safety norms to comply with April 2020 changes.

I have a feeling the govt will defer the deadline especially with the slowdown in the industry, which will probably not help much as many will continue to wait. The govt is hinting a drop in gst for hybrids, which I believe is a reversal in its stance from before about only fully electric vehicles getting incentives. I’m not sure if there is a clear definition of what it considers as hybrid and gets a tax cut. Plugin hybrids only or even mild hybrids? I’d have assumed it to be only plugin hybrids but there are only a couple of them in the market and they are either CBU or CKD models and will hardly make any impact.

A couple of years back when I first considered buying a car I was put off by what I considered to be ridiculous pricing but somehow didn’t see any such opinions from friends / family. I think it has crossed a tipping point now, combined with the crazy traffic in all our cities and easy access to Uber/Ola and car rentals many don’t see car ownership deliver on their asking price. Car companies should realise that owning a car is no longer a necessity or seen as a way to declare you have arrived in life. They need to deliver more value and hopefully it’s more than just increasing the size of the touchscreen by an inch.
Old 6th September 2019, 10:25   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
I would have gone with an Abarth or Linea Tjet. These two are anyways on Fire Sale throughout the year

The dealers I checked did not offer me any discounts other than the corporate offers. Most of them don't have stock and once we make payment they place an order.
Old 6th September 2019, 10:28   #21
BHPian

I think there should have been two more options, suggestions below:

1. Yes, I will wait, to see if the government announces any reduction in GST or cess or reduced uniform Road Tax across state, for ICE or Hybrid vehicles

2. Yes, I will wait, for all OEMs to offer the full breadth of models complying BS6 vehicles and then make my decision, which one to go for.

If I were to choose from the above 2, I would have gone with reduction in taxes
Old 6th September 2019, 10:35   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the first option as I feel Government may extend the date in all likelihood. But the thought of option 2 is quite lucrative and If I was to buy a car right now, it is worth waiting for another 6 months. Car stocks are not going to move anywhere and companies would be looking to liquidate their stocks. Ofcourse this does not apply to cars like the Seltos which are already BS6 compliant.

But another point to note would be that post BS6 vehicles would be moe expensive. And this may work as an incentive for buyers also to make a purchase or else be ready to cough more money. Companies would market it as well - " Buy before the price hike".
Old 6th September 2019, 10:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

The fact is that I need to replace one car, the last car we sold the Wagon-R has not been replaced as yet, so we are one car short at home, but price is just not reasonable.
The last fully utilised car I bought was my 2008 Innova which was just under 10 lakh then. Use of 1.92Lakh km and sale at 7 Lakhs put the capital cost per km just above Rs 1.5/ per km.
Today only thing practical is Hexa and Crysta, both beyond my budget.
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 10:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
The cars have become so horribly overpriced and somehow feel poorer made. Add to that, news pieces like VW's new (already poorer?) platforms being re-engineered "for India" to "save costs" makes me all the more nervous.
From your signature I get you own the 2012 Vento. Please do not let her go soon. These days VW is trying to become a mass market car manufacturer in India. Latest VW cars have substandard parts which are locally sourced with less research and testing. Moreover, they have the audacity to increase the prices even though the manufacturing cost may not have increased at the same rate. Rants on the same old car with poor quality and amusing face-lifts have already been widespread in the forum. Hopefully they at least read our thoughts even though as a small sample data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
The dealers I checked did not offer me any discounts other than the corporate offers. Most of them don't have stock and once we make payment they place an order.
Please check with other state dealers, there are still few Black Abarths and 2019 Linea Tjets available to be sold. Do not invest your hard earned money to a promise by dealers of getting them manufactured. Almost certain they wont be.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 11:17   #25
BHPian

It has been five years with my current drive, so was planning to upgrade last quarter. But, for an average person like me, there are plenty of reasons that suggest don't buy now; take for example, BS6 norms and fate of BS4 in 2020 and beyond, crash worthiness norms - are current models compliant or not, no proper automatic to upgrade - who likes an AMT in 10 lakh plus cars, crumbling roads and jams galore, poor city infrastructure in terms of parking, exorbitantly priced cars, all fancy features and high priced models that fair badly on safety and offer poor engine/transmission, EVs coming, etc.

Many such thoughts crossed my mind and finally I decided not to upgrade in the current scenario. Probably, I would not want to upgrade for a long time to come.
Old 6th September 2019, 11:23   #26
BHPian

Voted for Wait and watch

Rational behind this stance:

Since last couple of years market situation is not very exciting for me. Even though There are more number of new vehicle launch in last 3 years, and customer is spoiled for choices; sadly ground level reality is consumer is taken for a ride.

I think all automobile manufacturer are particularly extorting Indian Consumer for sure. I have stayed in USA and Europe, and I would say 1-1.5 million rupees car should have decent engine, all basic safety features, cruise control and auto-gear box.

Most of the manufacturer in the market - when they provide cruise control do not have option for Automatic, and If automatic is there no cruise control is provided, and that too after spending more than 1 million rupees (It is surely not a small amount). If you spend 1.5 million rupees in USA/Europe you would get everything what you are looking for. As a matter of fact manufacturers enjoy cheap labour, and operations costs in India. So it does not justify that automobile manufacturer are providing strip down version in terms of features for same amount of money spent by Indian Consumers.

IMHO there is no decent car in market which would tick all boxes. (In this forum itself it has been discussed that some premium feature provided by Maruti on Baleno are not provided on S-cross.) It looks like all auto-manufacturer are taking Indian consumer for granted.

I am glad that recent trend in last 2 years shows paradigm shift approach by companies and now safety features are included in all variants (a welcoming move by big guns), so I would wait and see how Automotive market in India gets matured with oncoming of EVs, Stricter norms/regulations and then providing comfortable features to consumers. May be by 2021 we can see this. So I would definitely wait for all-round product in market.
NickKohl123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 11:25   #27
BHPian

Voted for option 1 as I strongly believe an extension will happen considering the overall economic slowdown and the measures being taken by the Government to boost it.

Personally, I always go for a lateral upgrade buying a used car but will be tempted to get a new one of the discounts are over 40% though I think this can happen for very few models which are a big flop. I won't bother much about getting a BS4 car at this moment as I can use it for at least 10 years by which I can get the most value out of the investment.

Last edited by haneeshN : 6th September 2019 at 11:29.
Old 6th September 2019, 11:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

I voted NO.

Not because the Govt may extend any deadline, but because I don't want to be part of the crowd that will be looked upon as an opportunist when I get my car serviced.

Maybe it's an ill informed fear, but I genuinely think that those who buy in the fire sale will not be treated well during service because it'd be easy for brands to earmark such vehicles.

If nothing, ASCs may become inflexible with usage terms & warranty conditions incase of a claim.
Old 6th September 2019, 11:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post

Today only thing practical is Hexa and Crysta, both beyond my budget.
+1 Absolutely and I believe the Hexa is more VFM than the Crysta.

Maybe a bit OT, but the other points to consider is the increase in traffic, lack of parking and the revised RTO penalties. Ola/Uber make much more sense now and hence really buying an additional car, even though affordable, is not justifiable
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 12:15   #30

I voted for Option 2. I have a Getz which is almost 15 years old, and other than a few niggles, I don't have any issues with my car. I don't really see any VFM in the current market offering.
If emission norms are the ask to save our environment, why aren't they using retrofit emission control devices available in the market? When UK can order such devices for their market almost 2 years ago, why are we not doing that? Today's infrastructure and rules deters users from buying new cars.
Hybrid vehicles - Why is Prius priced so high? When this technology was available almost 10 years ago, why wasn't it brought to India?
EV - Nissan Leaf is such a huge hit in the European market and made available at a reasonable price, why isn't the same offered at a decent price in India? Why does it have to be CBU or CKD?
As someone rightly mentioned, going green with EV is not exactly going green, we have just switched to an alternative low emission technology, and what are the effects of those batteries which contain toxic chemicals?
Kumarhithendra is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed