Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Automobile fire sale Q1 2020?
Naah, Govt will extend the date. 51 13.60%
Yes I will wait for a Fire sale. But current slowdown has nothing to do with my decision to wait. 168 44.80%
Yes I will wait. I know others who are waiting. Slowdown is getting worse due to this. 125 33.33%
I cant wait. I need my car now. 31 8.27%
Voters: 375. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2019, 23:01   #46
BHPian

Re: Car buyers - Are you awaiting an automobile fire sale in Q1 2020?

I am not waiting for a fire sale as I do not have any requirement for a new car now. Perhaps this option ought to be added to the poll as I see similar responses.

On the other hand, if there is a fire sale with insane discounts (60% or more off!! ) then I will definitely put money down on a car I have been eyeing for a while now.
Old 6th September 2019, 23:04   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Sadly there is no car in the market that I desire even if given at half the price.

I am looking for a sub 20 Lakh station wagon/ MUV with Proven Crash worthiness, Airbags, Modern Automatic (not Maruti 4 speed) , Cruise Control, Fully flat folding rear seats, a powerful AC and a 100 Bhp + Engine.

The only car that I am interested in gawking at is the Triber, but it has no automatic or a decent engine.
I think you should try Hexa XTA, it might be the perfect one for you. Slightly beyond 20 Lakhs but it will tick all the boxes except flat folding last row of seats. I test drove it today for approx 20 km on a variety of surfaces and its really an awesome experience to travel in one expecially for a vehicle of its price.

As far as this thread is concerned, i am waiting for year ending sale clubbed with this slowed down market because i dont find any car to be value for money currently except Hexa XTA. But, since i am currently using 4x4 AT Koleos, Hexa XTA will be a step down for me instead of an upgrade and there is simply no significant upgrade available in market below 50 L on the road prices.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 6th September 2019 at 23:09.
46TheDoctor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 23:48   #48
BHPian

I don't think there will be a flash sale.

BS6, economic slowdown et al notwithstanding, IMHO manufacturers won't simply keep piling inventory. The Japanese introduced Just-in-Time inventory management. That's how manufacturers for 55% of our cars think/act. So I don't see a "stock clearance sale" happening!

However, as some others pointed out, there definitely is a hit to be taken advantage of. I am one of those who think the time is now! On a related note, imagine how good December 2019 might be!

A parallel thought: What about the pre-owned market? Will it see as much of a struggle? On one hand, you have shrinking consumerism and lesser buyers - affecting car purchases across the board (cars costing <20L). On the other hand, the proposition of buying a used car (yes, I agree the mind has to first accept the beauty of lateral upgrades) just became more invaluable! Reality check - inventory in Mumbai used car portals is not moving. Is this a lull or the storm itself?
DrSumit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 09:47   #49
BHPian

Fasten your seat belts: Big auto slowdown sale is here
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/71018759.cms
Old 7th September 2019, 10:04   #50
BHPian

I would wait 1 more year after BS6.

Just to understand two things:
1. What are the side effects to existing BS4 cars.
2. What is the impact of adulterated fuel on BS6 and how the whole adblue refill/recharge scenario is taken care.
Old 7th September 2019, 10:05   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
Fasten your seat belts: Big auto slowdown sale is here

The real discount sale would be on 2019 BS4 stocks in march 2020.
Old 7th September 2019, 11:21   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I assume that even if the govt reduces the GST or the Cess on the 20th, the auto industry will not transfer the entire benefit to the end consumer.
Why are people expecting a private company to pass benefits to customers at a time when the government itself is not passing the benefits to people. Case in point - fuel prices.

Edit: to answer the question of this thread, I am not looking for a car change now, hence not waiting for any fire sale. But if the discounts will get mouth watering, then may be.

Last edited by pavi : 7th September 2019 at 11:26.
Old 7th September 2019, 11:37   #53
BHPian

There is one point missing, regarding the slowdown of automobile sector sales. Lack of decent infrastructure in the cities and towns to use a 4wheeler. Go back 10-15 yrs, and look back how your car ownership was, and compare the same with today. Are you willing to put your money on an expensive car to drive on congested roads, with no proper place to park. Government kept on encouraging personal transport, looking at the revenue its generating, with out a vision of aftermath. Its a cheaper alternative than developing public transport, and road infrastructure, at the same time generating huge money in the form of tax. Any thing which grows has to shrink at some point of time. I don't see any major boost of sales in car industry, other than marginal growth in a couple of years.

I will not buy any car for another 5 - 8 yrs from now, as i feel its a physical and psychological torture. I will use my existing cars till the day i get spares, and they are moving.
As of now, i am happy with my electric cycle for daily commute from past 5 months, which is only 3 kms per day.
Car buyers - Are you awaiting an automobile fire sale in Q1 2020?-img_2271.jpg

Last edited by drbones : 7th September 2019 at 11:51.
drbones is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 12:05   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
The real discount sale would be on 2019 BS4 stocks in march 2020.

Looking at the sales trend I believe all manufactures will advance their manufacturing plans and stop BS4 production before this year end. All of them know that any BS4 stocks needs to be scrapped after the deadline. Also their might be a possibility of deadline extension by Govt. if too much inventory is left behind.
Old 7th September 2019, 12:11   #55
BHPian

Economic slowdowns are hard and they feed themselves. As such, slowdowns or quasi recessions are huge problems for everyone. But they can unearth fabulous opportunities for the intrepid.

Many among our team-bhp brotherhood are elated with the news of juicy discounts going around. They are feeling a crouching tiger taunting up inside them, ready to pounce on the doe eyed car dealer. The smell of blood is in the air, and that air's been flowing from all directions for a while now. My brothers are licking their paws as there will be more meat to bite off than there ever was.

But, there is one sinking thought they are yet unable to shake off. That is the matter of registration renewal after 10 or 15 years. There is no chance of registration renewal on a BS4. Given the way things have been in the near past, there's no saying that even a BS6 can get its registration renewed 15 years down the line.

This means that one can forget about getting even a half decent resell on the cars being bought now. Whichever car one buys now, it will have to be scrapped (possibly at own cost) in 15 years, maybe even earlier.

The effective cost of owning a car for people with less than 40-50 KM commutes will be extremely punishing to say the least. The punishment will be many times more for our brothers here who likes to buy those bigger cars with greater thirst. They also maintain the habit of distributing cash in the aftermarket. I know it well as I am one such. If the reader has any doubts on the genuineness of my thoughts, he or she may refer to my various ownership threads.

In light of this, one must not purchase a new petrol or diesel car if predicted usage is lesser than 50,000 KM per year. A ten, fifteen, even twenty five percent discount upfront will not even begin to mitigate this tremendous financial disaster.

Given the way things are, the only non disastrous approach is to wait for the new tech cars to come in. If one cannot do without a car at all, he or she should look for a used car with no more than 4-5 years of life left in it. And one needs to drink the blood of the seller to the last possible drop. Buying a new car or a overpriced used car now is same as playing the classic card game Hearts. The buyer will be the one left holding the Queen of Spade.

Do not succumb to your greed. Be a smart player!
sen2009 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 13:22   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I have not voted for any of the alternatives. Have decided next time I buy a car will be a few years from now once EV/Plug-in hybrid models have stabilized and gotten to be proven - the latter are proven already but not yet available in the small size and budget I need. I believe unless your need to buy a new car ie urgent this is the time to wait it out. By 2022 the picture will be quite different with regard to whats on offer.
Even though I have cast a vote in this poll, I do agree with this completely. Unless urgent, better wait for the EV segment to put out better cars at better prices.
Laxman9192 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 15:34   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Sadly there is no car in the market that I desire even if given at half the price.

I am looking for a sub 20 Lakh station wagon/ MUV with Proven Crash worthiness, Airbags, Modern Automatic (not Maruti 4 speed) , Cruise Control, Fully flat folding rear seats, a powerful AC and a 100 Bhp + Engine.
Have you considered the BR-V? The V CVT is around 12.5 lakh ex-showroom (+2 lakh on road in Delhi). It has a 5 Star ASEAN NCAP rating (primarily due to it's structure). The engine is exactly the same as that of Honda City (not even tuned differently), which churns out 117 bhp and 145 Nm of torque! With both the second and third row seats folded, the boot space is 1000+ litres.

The only item missing from your list is the cruise control - but I guess you can live without it

Last edited by sdaityari : 7th September 2019 at 15:36.
sdaityari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 16:15   #58
BHPian

What makes people feel that there will be a fire sale? It's not like only we know about the BS6 deadline, and the automakers will be waking up in Jan. Already they have started production cuts due to the slowdown. In a few months, they may even start building only on order.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 19:32   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
What makes people feel that there will be a fire sale? It's not like only we know about the BS6 deadline, and the automakers will be waking up in Jan. Already they have started production cuts due to the slowdown. In a few months, they may even start building only on order.
You are absolutely right but manufacturers like VW, Nissan, Skoda, etc will surely have a lot of unsold cars lying in their stockyards which they will have to sell by hook or by crook before the deadline.
Old 8th September 2019, 01:01   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbones View Post
Lack of decent infrastructure... congested roads, with no proper place to park... with out a vision of aftermath...

I will not buy any car for another 5 - 8 yrs from now, as i feel its a physical and psychological torture. I will use my existing cars till the day i get spares, and they are moving.
As of now, i am happy with my electric cycle for daily commute from past 5 months, which is only 3 kms per day.
Love your logic and attitude. Go cycle!

---------

Our family owns a 20yr old M800 and the only reason we've been looking to replace it is the lack of an A/C. We didn't need A/C back in the day, but the heavy deforestation, concretisation, and pollution in our cities means we have to enclose ourselves in a cool glass box.

Looking at the current crop of cars and their prices for even a entry-level Alto, and based on our low low usage of 2-4000KM per year, we don't want to bite the bullet.

Plus, the confusion and back/forth about BS4 registration validity, increase in registration renewal fees, electric-vehicle push, BS6 fuel issues, only add to our hesitation.

The nail in the coffin is the fact that Ola and Uber have made cars available at the touch of a virtual button.

New car? Meh.

Last edited by hellmet : 8th September 2019 at 01:02.
hellmet is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed