Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2007, 17:16   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_mania View Post
yes very tastefully photoshoped i must say.

yes exactly my point.

im sure of that ... !!!

any one can take a pic and process it and make it look great.many members on the forum have balenos.now am i missing something here or does samurais baleno have some thing MORE
Lancer_mania,

A simple question - Pl dont hesitate to not answer. Have you seen Samurai's Baleno in realworld? Not thru the pics. While Rudra's magic has produced sharp photos, its also because the subject looks the part in real life.

Finally, to claim the pics might be photoshopped - especially when half of us have seen the car and vouch for its elegance, is - I'm sure you'll agree with me here, uncalled for.
Old 13th February 2007, 17:45   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I dont know whether it is his first car, but Tamil actor Srikanth paid close to 20lakhs for the Grand Vitara from the Maruti stable.
I have heard that his first car was a M1000. Brand loyalty...I assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Good mileage, very spacious honda reliability and not too bad an engine although underpowered. Practicality wise the NHC is the best allrounder.
You missed out service and spare availability, cost of maintanence, resale value etc. A Maruti will easily beat a Honda on this. Wont it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
And they'll surely have an option of the JTD's or DDIs engines.
It should because Maruti has already commited huge investments in the Manesar Plant which will make the diesel units. 75% of the components will be locally sourced hence allowing cost to be kept low unlike the Peugeot units that worked on the ZenD and EsteemD.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 13th February 2007 at 17:47.
Old 13th February 2007, 18:13   #33
nbr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The OMB still sells and it will be resold again in used market and I think will hold it's value well like the OHC. Therefore, it is not a closed chapter.
OMB will continue to hild its value only in rally circuits and in t-bhp.
For the general public, OMB will be a "dream come true" for a whole lot of secondhand car buyers, since prices of OMB will still dip further in the used market, because OMB was always considered as an outdated car.
Old 13th February 2007, 20:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

OMB,NMB new additions to the auto enthusiasts dictionary courtesy team-bhp.

Regarding the NMB my hunch is that Maruti will use all its ingenuity and suprise a lot of folks on the pricing front at least.
Old 13th February 2007, 20:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

>> You missed out service and spare availability, cost of maintanence, resale value etc. A Maruti will easily beat a Honda on this. Wont it?

we are missing some thing. The Snob value attached to the 'H' label. Even if its equal in respect or even slightly better than Honda City - Maruthi will be taking a big risk pricing it in the same category as City. Ask Hyundai - they learnt it the hard way with new Sonata.

One more aspect guys, i don't think new Baleno will match the fuel efficiency of the NHC. How can it be if its the same engine as old Baleno?

the 1.9 Multijet will be a different story - but that will take an year at least.
Old 13th February 2007, 21:39   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
While Rudra's magic has produced sharp photos, its also because the subject looks the part in real life.
Mag I do understand your comment and taking it from there: I would be really happy if you guys don't discuss me or my ablity here. Thanks.
Old 13th February 2007, 22:59   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Ok forgetting the looks and everything about the old baleno. I would say the New baleno would definitely shake up the C+ segment.

If you see the competition it has currently i.e. Verna, Fiesta, NHC and Aveo.

The Aveo is not much competition to anyone. Although a good car it still doesnt cut it.

The Verna's looks have not been a big hit and the petrol engine isn't too great either for performance or mileage.

The Fiesta good solid car but understated looks, poor service and I personally feel its too compact looking. The engine is good but mileage again not so great.

That leaves us with the NHC. This is currently the highest selling in the segment. Good mileage, very spacious honda reliability and not too bad an engine although underpowered. Practicality wise the NHC is the best allrounder.

Now get the NMB in. You have a car with decent looks, interior doesn't seem too bad and pretty spacious but can't commit till i see it. The engien mostly will be from the old baleno. This engine is known for good mileage and fantastic performance. Since the NMb will weigh more the performance may not be the same but equally good.

Take the swift and esteem as a example. If i am right the swift is heavier than the esteem but has the same engine. Nonetheless the performance is very good as well as the mileage.

I predict this will be along similar lines.
You spoke my mind bro.
And also considering how Maruti has done all things right recently, i would expect them to do the same with Baleno.
May be a name change could add spice!!
Old 13th February 2007, 23:05   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It will be darn interesting to see how the new Baleno fares, as Maruti has traditionally not done well in any 5+ lac segment.

Actual reviews will also reveal if the car is outstanding in any way (a must for any new entrant).
Could we say the same thing about Hyundai also.
So i am guessing when it comes to C+ segment a certain snob value needs to be attached to the car.

What i expect from the new Baleno, pricing anywhere in the range of Verna or even slightly less. (Maruti's strong point)
FE (Another accepted trait about Maruti's, hope they dont mess up here)
Reliability and A.S.S (Japanese engineering and Maruti's Service Network)
If all of the above are set right, i think Maruti's going to give some stiff competition.

IMHO, if Maruti change the name from Baleno to SX4, i think it's going to have some heads turning towards it.
Old 13th February 2007, 23:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carCrazy25 View Post
IMHO, if Maruti change the name from Baleno to SX4, i think it's going to have some heads turning towards it.
Codes names for cars like SX4 may not go down well with Indian buyers. They can retain the popular Baleno name and add an additional tag like they did with the Estilo.
Old 13th February 2007, 23:36   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Codes names for cars like SX4 may not go down well with Indian buyers. They can retain the popular Baleno name and add an additional tag like they did with the Estilo.
nah..i am just suggesting something like swift or any other name, which could make ppl feel wow a brand new car from Maruri and it looks hot.....something in those lines.
Old 14th February 2007, 11:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker
we are missing some thing. The Snob value attached to the 'H' label.
I don't think it is plain snob value among us when it comes to a Honda. For some it might be the case, but atleast for me, it is about confidence in their quality and bullet-proof reliability (and in the case of NHC, the rumoured high FE figures were a factor). I don't think driving a NHC makes me any higher in the eyes of people as compared to a Baleno. My budget covered the NHC easily and I did consider it also, but the looks and the attitude of Sundaram (dealers) made me go the Baleno way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carCrazy25
So i am guessing when it comes to C+ segment a certain snob value needs to be attached to the car.
Maybe in the past, say 6-7 years ago, when a C-segmenter was considered a big deal generally, with people buying a small car first and then after many years upgrade to a 3-box sedan. But IMO today, people buy C-segs (or even 10lakh+ cars) as their 1st car. Don't really think there is much snob value attached to a 7lakh car - atleast among those that can afford it. For those that can't afford it, well how does it matter to the company ?

Quote:
One more aspect guys, i don't think new Baleno will match the fuel efficiency of the NHC. How can it be if its the same engine as old Baleno?
As per figures available on tbhp, the NHC delivers 1kmpl more than the OMB (city figures with a/c). With the NMB, if the weight is going to be more (as some mentioned) and engine tune maintained as it is, then ofcourse FE could dip. But what if engine is detuned for FE ? Its possible too. If NHC could do with just 76 horses, why not compete with it on the FE front by reducing the power ? All these are just assumptions ofcourse till MUL unveils the new car.

Quote:
Even if its equal in respect or even slightly better than Honda City - Maruthi will be taking a big risk pricing it in the same category as City.
Unless they price it at the Vtec level (8.11lakhs), there should not be any problem IMO. At the normal NHC price levels (6.5 - 7.4), the car should do well provided it appeals to the target segment.
Old 14th February 2007, 11:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

The answer to the question posed in the thread is a resounding 'yes'. However if the question started with a 'Will' as opposed to a 'Can', the answer would be a resounding 'maybe'.

All it might take for Honda or the other competitors to do is to slash their prices. Also it is my personal opinion that the reliability and reach of Maruti A.S.S. is for their bread and butter cars. I would like to keep the Baleno and its planned variants out of the equation. Honda still rules.
Old 14th February 2007, 12:25   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
My budget covered the NHC easily and I did consider it also, but the looks and the attitude of Sundaram (dealers) made me go the Baleno way.
Yuck! How i hate sundaram for spoiling the Honda name ! If there are plenty of Hondas in TN, it is inspite of Sundaram Motors. Isn't there any other dealer for a honda in TN???
Old 14th February 2007, 12:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Yuck! How i hate sundaram for spoiling the Honda name ! If there are plenty of Hondas in TN, it is inspite of Sundaram Motors. Isn't there any other dealer for a honda in TN???
Spoiled Honda name throughout TN? What about Fiat? LOL
Old 14th February 2007, 13:10   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18
@Supreme Baleno, How long can this car last and also what will be the expected maintenance per say 6 months.
The car (for that matter almost any car) will last as long as you want it to - meaning it will depend on how you maintain it and take care of it. And regarding maintenance, it is difficult to predict for used cars. I have a 2year old Baleno (bought new) and the total maintenance exp has been around 1300 (650 each for the oil and oil filter change during 1st and 3rd service). But this cannot be taken as a benchmark for a car that is 6-7 years old. With age, maintenance expenses do increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Also it is my personal opinion that the reliability and reach of Maruti A.S.S. is for their bread and butter cars. I would like to keep the Baleno and its planned variants out of the equation.
I am not sure on what basis you have arrived at the above opinion. The Maruti A.S.S is available for all their cars - M800 or Baleno. Don't see why Baleno needs to be out of the loop. The MASS in my small town in Kerala is as capable of handling the Baleno's service needs as it does for the M800s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Honda still rules.
True when it comes to sales. But when it comes to the reach of A.S.S or customer satisfaction as in the pre/post sales process, it is a long way behind. With dealers like Sundaram who needs enemies ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 14th February 2007 at 13:12.

Most Viewed