Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2007, 14:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I am not sure on what basis you have arrived at the above opinion. The Maruti A.S.S is available for all their cars - M800 or Baleno. Don't see why Baleno needs to be out of the loop. The MASS in my small town in Kerala is as capable of handling the Baleno's service needs as it does for the M800s.
I am not that confident mate. That is why I qualified that as a personal opinion. As an aside, how different is a small town in Kerala from a small town in UP or Bihar? Or AP for that matter. There is no reason for a service station to carry spares if people in and around the area do not buy a Baleno. In Kerala there is a higher chance of encountering some one with higher disposable income no matter the place.

Quote:
True when it comes to sales. But when it comes to the reach of A.S.S or customer satisfaction as in the pre/post sales process, it is a long way behind. With dealers like Sundaram who needs enemies ?
True that.
Old 14th February 2007, 14:21   #47
Senior - BHPian

To beat NHC...

NHC Strengths:
1. Spacious: Loads of leg space in front and good space in the rear, huge boot.
2. Ease of driving: EPS makes steering light and driving effortless. Smooth gear box makes gear changing piece of cake.
3. Interiors: I would put it as soothing. Nice combination of colours, with good quality stuff, which doesn't look cheap.
4. FE: Good - aero dynamic body & i-DSI/VTEC engine give good FE.

NHC Weakness:
1. Low GC: 5 adults & a loaded boot will scrape those huge humps.
2. Lack of ABS/Airbags: atleast as an option (though Honda has announced they will release new variants with these option, but we have wait till Oct/Nov 2007).
3. Power: i-DSI pumps in 77ps, which is adequate for normal driving and definitely not performance oriented (though NHC has VTEC variant which pumps in 100ps and fills this inadequacy, at a price).

If NMB can maintain the strengths of NHC and address the weakness of NHC, it will surely be winner.

NMB vs NHC:
1. Spacious: unless there is drastic change in design (cab forward, fuel tank below the body, etc) I doubt it can beat NHC. So -NHC- here.
2. Ease of driving: Power steering is adequate and EPS isn'ts such a big factor. So -EVEN-.
3. Interiors: I really doubt Maruti can give good interiors. Most of their recent launches have interiors nothing to talk about. So -NHC- here.
4. FE: I would put it as -EVEN-.
5. Safety: Honda has announed ABS/Airbags in NHC. Maruti might give also. So -EVEN-.
6. Power: I would give it to -NMB-.
7. A.S.S: Though its not bad for NHC, for the sheer size of Maruti network, -NMB-.

IMHO: NMB might not be as comfortable as NHC but it will more powered. So, people who need more power/pick-up and those who don't like NHC looks will go for NMB. I don't think NMB will make serious dent on sales of NHC. I guess we might see a drop 450-500 in NHC numbers.

All the above are my experience & opinions.

Last edited by msdivy : 14th February 2007 at 14:24.
Old 14th February 2007, 14:47   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
As an aside, how different is a small town in Kerala from a small town in UP or Bihar? Or AP for that matter.
Very different. Atleast w.r.t UP or Bihar. But then we are digressing from the topic at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
There is no reason for a service station to carry spares if people in and around the area do not buy a Baleno.
Agree. But that is a business decision taken by all service centres and is not Maruti-specific. The nearest Honda service centre will also stock minimal Civic/Accord/CRV spares. Same for other car dealers for their premium vehicles. And this is not just about the customer base in an area. Inventory costs and overall sales numbers also play a role here. Even service stations in cities will stock more of M800 spares than Vitara spares, as there are more of the former on the roads (probability of the spares moving off the shelf is more) and also the cost of the spares will be lesser (lower inventory costs).

Even before we reach the stage where we identify the need for spares, we first need to get to an auth. service centre. Honda has what, like 10-20 in all of Kerala ? Compare this to the hundreds of MASS scattered all over the state.
Old 14th February 2007, 15:05   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very different. Atleast w.r.t UP or Bihar. But then we are digressing from the topic at hand.
Actually I dont think we are. What I do not like is the generalization made when we go ga-ga over Maruti's service network. No doubt it is the best in terms of reach - but for all cars? No. That is my first point.

Quote:
Agree. But that is a business decision taken by all service centres and is not Maruti-specific.
Even going by an 80-20 rule, will all Maruti centers stock Baleno spares? That is my second point.

Quote:
The nearest Honda service centre will also stock minimal Civic/Accord/CRV spares. Same for other car dealers for their premium vehicles. And this is not just about the customer base in an area. Inventory costs and overall sales numbers also play a role here. Even service stations in cities will stock more of M800 spares than Vitara spares, as there are more of the former on the roads (probability of the spares moving off the shelf is more) and also the cost of the spares will be lesser (lower inventory costs).
Please refer to my second point. Also, regional behaviour cannot be extrapolated to a national level. That is my third point. When Maruti claims a service station in Ladakh, I can clap if I am an M800/Esteem/Gypsy owner. Can I do the same if I own a Baleno? Maybe not.

Quote:
Even before we reach the stage where we identify the need for spares, we first need to get to an auth. service centre. Honda has what, like 10-20 in all of Kerala ? Compare this to the hundreds of MASS scattered all over the state.
This is well put and I will have to concede that to you. One definitely has the option of parking a Baleno even if it takes a day or two to get spares.

I am again taking an opportunity to re-iterate that I am in awe of Maruti's reach. But I don't think their network is perfect. In fact if you are primarily a city driver, then Hyundai may be a far better bet.

P.S. You a Mallu too? Namaskaram from a Fraud Mallu.
Old 14th February 2007, 16:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki SX4 Tiyanu - The Chinese version

Browsed upon this Chinese site - www.xingcheping.com
It seems to have a pretty detailed review of the SX4 sedan - alas in Chinese.

Pics from the site.
Exterior

Interiors

The Engine

Old 14th February 2007, 17:09   #51
Team-BHP Support

I like the front, the profile is nice too and the interiors are great. But its the rear again that lets it down! What is it with Suzuki and messing up rears!!

However, overall, this car should be a success, giving a tough fight to the NHC, and trouncing the Fiesta and Aveo due to Maruti's VFM image.
Old 14th February 2007, 17:13   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
I like the front, the profile is nice too and the interiors are great. But its the rear again that lets it down! What is it with Suzuki and messing up rears!!
I really doubt whether Maruti can give that quality interiors... (I wish they will). Rear is indistinguishable from Verna.
Old 14th February 2007, 17:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

The profile looks quite dumpy- it looks as if it was squashed from both sides. Maybe its just the pics....the car should have been a bit longer for a well proportioned look. Just look at the OHC (Type II) and you will know what i am referring to-classic proportioned lines!
Old 14th February 2007, 17:36   #54
BHPian

In one of my earlier posts, I had given the link to the chinese Suzuki sites where there are photographs of the SX4 sedan viewed from multiple angles. The car is bigger than the NHC and comparable to the Toyota Corolla in terms of space.
LxBxH - SX4 sedan 4490x1730x1545 WB 2500
Corolla 4530x1705x1490 2600
NHC 4390x1690x1495 2450

Heres the link again :

³¤°²ÁåľÌìÓïSX4ÉÏÊÐ_ÐÂÀËÆû³µ_ÐÂÀËÍø

One of my colleagues based in China informed me that the car is doing very well since launch.

Last edited by Floyd de Souza : 14th February 2007 at 17:51. Reason: To give dimensional comparison
Old 14th February 2007, 18:17   #55
mfb

Hi Guys,

This is my first post on this forum.

I have a second hand 1999 model Esteem Vx and very happy about the way it's going. Around Navratra, Maruti came up with great offers on Baleno. I went for a test drive and loved it. As usual, before buying a car I went in for suggestions and feedbacks from friends and came to know about this site.
Here I got a feedback from somebody that Maruti is discontinuing production soon on Baleno. This is what put me on hold.
I think, it's now worth the wait by seeing the photograph on AutoIndia site.
Thanx carcrazy and team-bhp for the same.
Let the gud discussion go on.
Old 14th February 2007, 18:43   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree that the rear isnt in keeping with rest of the car. It looks like it might be from a budget east-European sedan. Yet, the overall combined effort is a notch higher than the OMB's at the time of its release
Old 14th February 2007, 19:07   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
The profile looks quite dumpy- it looks as if it was squashed from both sides. Maybe its just the pics....the car should have been a bit longer for a well proportioned look. Just look at the OHC (Type II) and you will know what i am referring to-classic proportioned lines!
I fully agree with you. This may be a modern car, but surely isn't photogenic to my eyes. That's stictly my opinion.
Old 14th February 2007, 19:12   #58
Senior - BHPian

Steering wheel looks like its lifted from the Swift
Old 14th February 2007, 20:31   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
NHC Strengths:
I don't think NMB will make serious dent on sales of NHC. I guess we might see a drop 450-500 in NHC numbers.
All the above are my experience & opinions.
Considering that NHC sells about 3000 to 3500 units a monts, the drop you mentioned is about around 15%, i think that's a dent that needs to be fixed.
Old 14th February 2007, 20:47   #60
Senior - BHPian

>> SX4 sedan 4490x1730x1545 WB 2500
now, that's bigger than i thought it would be. Great. hopefully they are as smart as NHC designers to liberate more interior space. And hopefully, they will give a good boot to boot

We can surely do with a little competition in C+ segment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks