Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: What's your car buying strategy with respect to brands?
I shortlist established brands and then compare models 38 24.20%
I shortlist models irrespective of new or established brand 49 31.21%
I give some weightage to brand but it is not a be-all and end-all. 70 44.59%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2019, 19:46   #16
BHPian

Re: Established brands vs new entrants - Car purchase decisions of Indian buyers

I think it also has to do something with the psychic profile of the modern car buyer vs the old era car buyer due to comforts at his disposal.

One of today will definitely be able to take more risk with an unproven product or brand owing to more disposable income, evolved mindset of rationality rather than safety, much more information at his disposal(internet), grievance redressal system(consumer court, ability to raise the issue higher in the company ranks), professional services other than company showroom for post purchase works, ease of selling the car(cars 24, olx) etc. Etc.

I mean the list is endless. Earlier even the insurance companies too probably used to shy away from a new product. The modern car buyer is compratively younger with a higher risk appetite. I wonder how many Hectors would have been purchased by senior citizens who are the part of government job era. Guys, It's the mutual fund era not the fixed deposit one. It's the sovereign gold bond era and not that of the physical gold. It's the era of degree in performing arts not engineering.

In this new shining India we are groomed to take risk in every aspect of the life then how can cars be left behind.
Old 10th September 2019, 20:18   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: Established brands vs new entrants - Car purchase decisions of Indian buyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hmm interesting thread! Will be a nice read to check individual opinions, all of which are right. Perhaps we should have a poll at the top of this thread? That will give a very quick glance at inclinations of fellow bhpians on the matter? P.S. - I have reported to the mods to check and add a poll if suitable.
I have added a poll. Just to be clear:

If you choose option 2, it means you do not mind considering a new brand that has just one service center in your city (Eg: MG, Kia etc) or an old brand that has got lots of bad publicity. Meaning, you are totally indifferent towards brand or what it represents (Eg: reliability, resale value etc).

The third option is the middle ground. Choose option 3 if certain aspects related to brands (or what it represents) are important.

Last edited by SmartCat : 10th September 2019 at 21:47.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 08:13   #18
BHPian

I don't select a car based exclusively on the make/brand. But I certainly rule out certain cars from the list based on their brand. I wouldn't touch a new brand and their first generation offering, so an MG would be a no go. Second, I rule out firms with a bad service rep like Skoda and Fiat and a bad network like Nissan. I'd then look at the models - probably shortlist from Hyundai, Suzuki, Honda, Toyota and now maybe Tata and make a decision.
Old 11th September 2019, 12:08   #19
BHPian

Allow me to add another perspective. And this is based on my own experiences. While driving pleasure behind the wheel is something that most enthusiasts look for, peace of mind with your purchase eventually becomes a whole lot more important at some stage in your life - especially if it's going to be your only car in the family.

It may not necessarily be a case of established vs new players, but more about how your post purchase experience with the company is going to be. Case in point being Fiat. Brilliant cars in Linea and Punto, but look at how the owners have been left in a lurch. Same goes for the diesel rocket Cruze. I was so in love with Cruze that it was my upgrade dream. By the time it came to buying decision, GM had already announced their exit.

Someone close to me has to live with his car left at the garage due to non availability of spares, several days at a time. I would rather go with someone who bets long term on the Indian market and is willing to take the extra efforts to ensure a smooth ownership experience.
Old 11th September 2019, 17:59   #20
BHPian

Social Media specially Youtube is playing very important role in auto industry.
Almost everyone likes cars and the way it is presented by the media has great impact on everyone. Buyer ofen gets confused by the comments from reviewers because every reviewer has a little different opinion about same product eg. Someone likes the product someone doesn't. In that sense our team-bhp is very good place for developing various views and knowing indepth about anything related to auto world.
Thanks team-bhp for everything it provides.
I feel very nice to be part of it.
Old 11th September 2019, 23:20   #21
Team-BHP Support

IBM CEO says automobile brands are becoming less important
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/11/ibms...important.html

Quote:
In an interview with CNBC’s Karen Tso at the Frankfurt Motor Show Wednesday, Ginni Rometty said consumers are increasingly prioritizing digital experiences, for example the ability to connect a car to other smart devices, in their vehicles. Rometty pointed to a new IBM survey which found 48% of consumers say vehicle brand won’t matter to them

“The issue is that the experience is going to be more important than perhaps the car itself or just a brand and what it says,” Rometty said. “Your brand is defined by the experience.”
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 06:13   #22
BHPian

The brand as such is not a deciding factor for any member in my family. What we need in a vehicle is Safety, reliability, serviceability, build quality and acceleration/torque (yes. We are addicted to cars with good acceleration and torque). Things like Fuel efficiency, resale value and fancy gimmicks was never the criterias for us. If the requirements fit the bill we will even buy a car that is named "Boring car"
Old 12th September 2019, 08:27   #23
Team-BHP Support

Personally, new or established brand in India won’t be a consideration for me; thanks to the exposure and information available. And the brand popularity or sales numbers won’t have a huge impact on my decision.

But I think in India, the idea of perceived value plays a bigger role than brand. If established brand is criteria the S-Cross would have been a roaring success and the MG or KIA would have been a flop.
Old 12th September 2019, 17:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

For existing companies, just get the right model in market, it will sell, simple.

If model has some flaws, it will tank soon even if it is from good manufacturer.
Old 3rd October 2019, 18:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Well, very soon we will witness Citroen’s footprint in India. They’re gearing up for launch with their SUV (C5 Aircross)

Indian market is surely growing and has a lot of scope for SUV’s than the sedans (leave alone the luxury ones) talking about 15-40L range.

Most Viewed