Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2019, 11:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Volkswagen Ameo to get GT Line trim

Last week, Volkswagen introduced a GT Line trim on the Polo and Vento facelift. Now, it could also be offered on the Ameo.

Volkswagen Ameo GT Line edition launched at Rs. 9.99 lakh-ameo-gt-line1.jpg

As per the VW website, the GT Line trim is likely to be offered on the diesel version of the Ameo, which is priced at Rs. 9.99 lakh (ex-showroom, India). However, the petrol version could also get the GT Line trim.

Volkswagen Ameo GT Line edition launched at Rs. 9.99 lakh-ameo-gt-line2.jpg

The Ameo GT Line is expected to be based on the Highline Plus variant. The GT Line trim adds cosmetic features such as a black roof, black ORVMs and rear spoiler, chrome door handles, GT Line decals and a GT Line badge. It also comes in a new Sunset Red colour option.

Volkswagen Ameo GT Line edition launched at Rs. 9.99 lakh-ameo-gt-line3.jpg

The Ameo GT Line is expected to be offered with a 1.0-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine that produces 75 BHP @ 6,200 rpm and 95 Nm @ 3,000-4,000 rpm and a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that makes 108 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 250 Nm @ 1,500-3,000 rpm. The petrol engine is likely to be paired with a 5-speed manual, while the diesel could get a DSG automatic gearbox.

Volkswagen Ameo GT Line edition launched at Rs. 9.99 lakh-ameo-gt-line4.jpg

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 11:49   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Volkswagen Ameo to get GT Line trim

IMHO it's a very stupid move.

Not only it's a cosmetic GT but also it will dilute GT brand as a whole.

Polo GT is the only brilliant thing the VW stable is offering. Imagine Skoda launching a "RS line" in Rapid.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 12:53   #3
BHPian

What is so GT about this Ameo GT line? Dear VW, don't do things just to fill timesheets (if you really have those) with work. Like we do in our software offices .

Dear Mods - Please change the thread title, it is misleading.

Last edited by vijayshouree : 9th September 2019 at 12:59. Reason: Removed that extra smiley
vijayshouree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 13:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely idiotic update to the line. Sick and tired of these fools who call themselves management in all the automotive companies who feel that putting a few ugly stickers and adding chrome to a car makes it a "GT" or "RS" or "Sport" variant. Totally shameful lackadaisical attitude of the car companies towards Indian automotive enthusiasts and a mockery of the GT monicker, if you ask me.

Every time I see these brainless editions being released, a stream of expletives come to mind.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 13:34   #5
BHPian

A GT line variant which comes with a 1 L NA 3 cylinder motor making just 75 hp of power and 90 nm of torque!
It's not a new thing that VW is launching a new variant or a edition but this is just too much, they are making fun of their own GT monicker!
From the time when Polo and Vento were launched, other cars have changed 1 or 2 generations and these guys are busy in launching useless editions!
Wake up VW before it's too late.
Nazaar25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 13:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ha ha ha Volkswagen India are really turning on the show now, with more and more ridiculously invalid launches.

An Ameo GT, with few badges on the Ameo TDI Highline Plus variant? Seriously? Yaay that is some mega creativity you German sellouts!!

I was under the belief that Ameo would be discontinued this year. Is this another "Polo"ing of Ameo to clear the un-sold stocks?

Instead of the more recent "Launch" of the Polo/Vento with new bumpers and this absurdly crappy Ameo GT, they can just get the global MQB Polo in India, and make the Celebrating a Decade of Tinkers & Toppers Polo obsolete.

But thank you VW India for making us the owners of the existing Polos still relevant in India for another 2 years, and destroying the GT essence completely.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 9th September 2019 at 13:44.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 18:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Polo GT is the only brilliant thing the VW stable is offering. Imagine Skoda launching a "RS line" in Rapid.
I beg to differ here. The Rapid is a very capable car-in both the diesel and the petrol avatars. If Ford could have a Fiesta "S", then why can't Skoda, a Rapid "(R)S" with maybe a faster (than the MPi) TSi with a slightly retuned suspension? The diesel is fine. Sure, expecting Octavia VRS levels of performance from a C-class sedan isn't wise but we gotta work with what we have
Old 9th September 2019, 19:21   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayshouree View Post
What is so GT about this Ameo GT line?
You are missing the ‘GT’ decals on the doors.

As per my understanding GT represents Grand Tourer, but I don’t think even the polo GT is a proper GT. Rather than GT, it should be a RS, but with improved suspension.

Note: please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by pavi : 9th September 2019 at 19:23.
Old 9th September 2019, 20:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
You are missing the ‘GT’ decals on the doors.

As per my understanding GT represents Grand Tourer, but I don’t think even the polo GT is a proper GT. Rather than GT, it should be a RS, but with improved suspension.

Note: please correct me if I am wrong.
Hehe yeah . I agree. I was just comparing this GT with other GTs in the VW lineup.

They can't do RS, RS badges are birthrights of Maruti Suzuki (minus Baleno RS) .
Old 9th September 2019, 20:44   #10
BHPian

Ameo DSG has a lot of capability but with such lame treatment , VW is spoiling a product which is already in doldrums.
They could have tasted new waters by giving the Ameo DSG a bump in power with proper GTI like elements. Anyways they are not going to sell this Ameo GT much so better to experiment by giving one with some 140+ bhp and 300+nm torque. By doing this, they could have actually sold it more than they have sold the Ameo since inception. Something to learn from Tata, they did an unthinkable by giving us JTP twins and more capable players are giving us 1.0 mpis
Old 10th September 2019, 14:39   #11
BHPian

Seems VW is following MSIL strategy.
AMEO is already a low selling car and filling the gap with GT Line mayn't make big difference.
VW should rework on their product line up and bring in new Polo to India. Globally, there is a good market for New Polo and it should be successful in India as-well. AMEO GT will just be a mod job and not a new line up.
Old 10th September 2019, 14:47   #12
BHPian

They should have only limited the GT line to the Ameo Diesel paired with the DSG.

Goes from 0-100 in the same time the GT TSI does. Probably even faster in some conditions. At least they could have thrown in paddle shifters which would justify the GT badge.
Old 10th September 2019, 16:21   #13
BHPian

I am sure, this is market demand driven, and nothing emotional. There would be requests in their showrooms, and their feedback forms, where people are looking for GT line Ameos. Not huge numbers, but for VW now, even a 50 car increase per month is significant
Old 10th September 2019, 18:29   #14
BHPian

After the Tata Nexon KRAZ edition comes this abomination.... As they say, there is a child in every adult, I guess there's a Maruti in every Indian car manufacturer!
captain.torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 19:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Slightly but spotted this sporty Ameo (and this was not even Highline spec) which seemed a more earnest attempt than VW's own!
Volkswagen Ameo GT Line edition launched at Rs. 9.99 lakh-screenshot_20190910185811.png

Most Viewed