Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Are you an auto consultant to your family & friends?
Yes 325 92.07%
No 28 7.93%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th September 2019, 08:47   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Are you an auto consultant to your family & friends?

Absolutely yes,so much that my cousin's husband recently commented that ignorance was bliss, now I have made him aware of so many aspects that its hard now to decide
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 09:27   #47
BHPian

Definitely a big NO. Reason being cars are machine and one that requires significant chunk of your money. Now machine, although fairly reliable, can also turn out to be a lemon. If it does turn out to be one, I do not want to be the one to be blamed for it. So I pretty much do not even involve myself in the process itself.
arunramaswamy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 13:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

Not really, no. Of course, when my parents or brother or in-laws are looking to buy a car, they discuss the options with me. A couple of close friends also do. But, I am not someone who everyone in my family or friend circle come to for car-buying advice.

I think the only person who has been totally influenced by me is a friend and colleague of 10 years. He bought his first car after I bought the Punto. I had given him a couple of rides in my car and also shared my experiences with him and he ended up getting one. After moving to Finland, we have picked up our leased cars a few months apart. My "research" on the cars available has influenced him too (similar requirements) and he has leased Octavia and Karoq, just like I did.
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 14:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

Few years ago, I suggested my maternal uncle to buy a Pajero SFX over a Scorpio. He was very happy till he sold the Pajero after good many years. As a replacment, he wanted my opinion on the Kodiaq, Fortuner and the Endeavour. I knew his requirement and hence, suggested Endy. He is a proud owner of an Endy 3.2. In between, I suggested the Q3 when he was looking for an entry level luxury car and had 3 series/A4 in his mind. He was unaware of the upcoming Q3 but waited for it based on my recommendation. Finally, he and his friend got 2 Q3s on the same day. Now, his friend, based on my suggestion, has replaced the Q3 with a Volvo XC60. All are happy

I recommended the Freestyle D to family, recommended the Breeza to a friend who wanted a MS car only, convinced three other friends about new and pre-owned Jazzs and forced my best friend away from a 10 yr old Safari 3.0 (we both had been die hard Safari fans since we were kids!). No one has had any complaints so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is also very true . Therefore, if someone calls and asks me "what 15 lakh SUV should I buy?", my first response is "first tell me all the cars that you have liked" . Many of them have already decided and are just looking for validation.
I have experienced this several times and hence, I follow the same routine of taking their choices and recommending the best among them. Sometimes I do try to bring in a wild card entry which works in rare cases.

Last edited by ashis89 : 12th September 2019 at 14:32. Reason: Grammar check
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 15:27   #50
BHPian

Well, a good number of colleagues, neighbors, friends etc., take my consultation before venturing into purchases relating to Automobiles or parts of it. Prima facie, it appears that they are conceding to my recommendations. However, I am always in for a surprise when the actual product arrives. They tend to purchase things/ products that I did not recommend.

I recall one such recent instance where my friend consulted me for replacement of a completely torn off tyre on his eight year old I10. Upon inspection of his car it revealed that other tyres were as well on the final stages of their lives. Honestly I suggested him to replace all four tyres in one go the reason being, safety, better position to negotiate for higher discounts, accurate wheel alignment and balancing, etc. After hearing my lecture, then came the reply, “Why should I replace all four tyres when only one is torn. I will only do it as and when they go”

Initially, I felt left out/ betrayed but now I have grown to live with it so much so that I would be rather surprised if anybody’s purchase coincides with my recommendation.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 12th September 2019 at 15:40.
King_pin09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 15:30   #51
Team-BHP Support

The worst task is when folks buy car without consulting me and I have to listen to them justifying this and boring me to death during a party
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 18:44   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think the only person who has been totally influenced by me is a friend and colleague of 10 years. He bought his first car after I bought the Punto. I had given him a couple of rides in my car and also shared my experiences with him and he ended up getting one. After moving to Finland, we have picked up our leased cars a few months apart. My "research" on the cars available has influenced him too (similar requirements) and he has leased Octavia and Karoq, just like I did.
I helped my friend pick up a BHPian owned 2nd owner (because corporate lease -> owner) Polo GT TDI with the old 1.6 engine.

While I've helped others with gyan on what they need to buy and wonder of wonders, some of them actually bought an Ecosport instead of a Brezza etc, that GT TDI is the one prize catch that I'm proud of helping someone acquire.

Needless to say, if he decides to sell it (young and just married couple, so kids or a domestic / foreign transfer will certainly come up in a year or two), I'm first in line to pick it up, so maybe I was a little bit selfish in helping the guy
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 20:01   #53
BHPian

I suggested my to-be FIL the Skoda Octavia L&K. Best decision ever. He loves the car. 🙂
Pancham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 21:21   #54
BHPian

When it comes to cars and bikes whether it is for purchasing or maintenance, all my friends give me a call first and I help them decide or manage their automobile-related doubts. In most cases, I go along with my friends to get their bikes or cars serviced.

Recently, I had helped two of my friends purchase an XUV500 and an Ecosport S by going along with them from the discount negotiation until the PDI and delivery process. The best part is their family members to trust my opinion and that gives me immense joy and satisfaction that I'm good at this arena.
jithin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 22:14   #55
BHPian

The fact that we love automobiles and are BHPians probably show why almost 92% members (as of now) act as auto-consultant to their families.
I have often helped my friends and family members with their purchasing decision. There's a satisfaction to see someone driving a bike/ car that you actually like in that particular price range. Neatly summed up by Ajmat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The worst task is when folks buy car without consulting me and I have to listen to them justifying this and boring me to death during a party
Kuldeep31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 23:15   #56
BHPian

Only few people within family (my wife, dad, FIL, BIL) really appreciate my knowledge & passion for cars, and are really interested in my suggestions and opinions. Rest rarely care. This includes my close friends who know me well. Usually most tell me about their recent purchases, and then ask me for opinion. What's the point seeking my views after already owning the car. I just nod and say great car, and list out the positives. I think internet, including team-bhp and youtube, makes consultation irrelevant to some extent.

Its my personal opinion but we should call ourselves consultants only if we are able to persuade someone to buy a oddball car that we suggest against a crowd favorite or popular car. If a person is in market, he will usually ask many people. In most of the cases, we would just be one of those many opinions. If the buyer chooses against our suggestion, then how are we really good consultants?

Last edited by Comrade : 12th September 2019 at 23:29.
Comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2019, 23:23   #57
BHPian

Love Cars, Live cars. I follow this and that is the reason why many of my friends take my advice or suggestions for a new buy. But sometimes you yourself are stuck in a stage when you need an advice;-) as I am right now. So I turn to the next most passionate and Car loving enthusiast, a team Bhp’ian :-)
isldhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2019, 15:54   #58
Senior - BHPian

To my immediate family (parents, sister, brother-in-law) - Yes
To my extended family - Not anymore
To my friends - Not anymore

Why? Simply because engine specs & safety are top priorities behind my recommendations while looks, stupid features & Maruti usually drive the majority.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2019, 16:32   #59
RGK
Senior - BHPian

I am the so-called guru ?!! in my team. A few months back, my colleague took me to validate an I10 of his friend and on seeing the doors/panels I was able to conclude it had been to the body shop.

After that episode, my friend says "nowadays he is not talking to me da".
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2019, 17:17   #60
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Yes I do give my opinion whenever some near or dear one asks but Nowdays not so persistently as earlier because instead of enjoying their drive without any major issues they are mostly thinking about resale issues or worry about non issues.
Sandeep500 is offline   Reply With Quote