Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Are you an auto consultant to your family & friends?
Yes 378 91.30%
No 36 8.70%
Voters: 414. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2019, 17:31   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Are you an auto consultant to your family & friends?

In my family and friends circle I am known as Google for automobiles. My approach is first I ask for budget, followed by usage pattern and period for which the car/bike will be used.

Three people known to me bought WagonR on my suggestion based on their requirements. One family member bought Duster Diesel 85 PS, One person bought Honda City on my suggestion instead of Tata Manza he had shortlisted, few office friends bought RE models while some bought Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki bikes based on my advice and their requirements. I have also helped people pick up used car/bike based on their requirements while avoiding shady used automobile dealers.

There are numerous other examples of people not considering my suggestion and going ahead with what they had already decided. For example I suggested a person to buy a Bolero few years back based on his usage which was in the same ballpark as the "Sedan" he ended up buying for a growing family of 5+. Now is struggling with the Sedan being less spacious. Another suggestion was given to a person looking for a MUV about 5 years back. I said go for Toyota Innova for complete piece of mind as you are buying it for your family which also includes the elderly. 10+ years and beyond and the Toyota will still put a smile on your face. He ended up buying Xylo and sold it off within a couple of years citing nausea, headache, etc, due to bouncy ride and pitching behavior of Xylo.

Actually there are various categories of people who come asking for a suggestion. Some are genuinely in need of help for shortlisting car/bike, some are just passing time by asking random questions, some have already decided but are just looking for approval from others, some are in it to increase their knowledge which in turn they will give others looking to buy car/bike. Most people I have seen give no two hoots to safety, for them it is an unnecessary expense, but yes they will happily spend on ICE, lights, etc.

At the end of the day my suggestion for car/bike depends on each of these category of people asking me the question whom I have learnt to identify.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 13th September 2019 at 17:33.
Old 13th September 2019, 17:36   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a lot of car enthusiast friends as well, so I am not necessarily the go-to guy in my friend circle.
Heck, I take them along for Test drives and discussions for some advice as needed!

But in the close family, and non-automotive friends groups; I am often asked for advice. We may not see eye to eye, but I make it a point to always compliment their vehicle of choice even if it is one I wouldn't buy at all - after all, many times they just want reassurance!
Old 14th September 2019, 09:14   #63
BHPian

Yes, I am an auto consultant to my friends and family and it is one of my hobbies because I love automobiles. I am from Kolkata and semi-retired which gives me ample time and opportunity to pursue this. For this, I started a group on Facebook where even unknown people seek my advice about automobiles and I answer them to the best of my abilities.

Last edited by Eddy : 29th January 2022 at 01:55. Reason: Removing external link
Chhanda Das is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 14:19   #64
BHPian

I have provided suggestions to family and Friends about which car to buy and have also been influential in many purchase decisions.

I am a trainer and train people from Sales and Service in the auto industry. I have trained people from non-commercial vehicles (mass market and niche) and also from the commercial vehicle segment.

But if you ask me If I am a consultant I will say NO!

I can only provide insights and influence purchase, but as an automobile consultant i think it requires more in-depth understanding of the requirement and also help with post purchase issue resolutions. I cant do that! Hence I do not consider my self a consultant but an influencer.

Last edited by rulerofsun : 14th September 2019 at 14:20. Reason: grammar
Old 14th September 2019, 14:42   #65
BHPian

Taking mum in law to the Kia showroom to help her choose her Seltos today. What else can I say.
Old 14th September 2019, 19:17   #66
BHPian

Well, yes, in a way.
I had helped my uncle to choose a car. He brought home the Etios Liva petrol last year. Yes, there are more modern and better alternatives available, but this car suits their requirements to a T (pun intended ) and he is happy with it.
Currently helping a neighbour with a replacement of their 3rd generation Honda City AT. Have shortlisted the Seltos. Let’s see.

Last edited by artemis_fowl : 14th September 2019 at 19:18.
Old 14th September 2019, 20:05   #67
Senior - BHPian

Friends and acquaintances do call me when they are buying a car and are happy with my suggestions. Though I admit I got it wrong with the Fiat range of products (and they curse me while unable to dispose of it). I must thank TBHP, for ingraining this knowledge in me.
Old 15th September 2019, 05:36   #68
Team-BHP Support

I could not vote on the thread because I need a third option -

1. Yes
2. No
3. You think you are an excellent auto consultant but nobody wants your opinion!
BlackPearl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 08:24   #69
BHPian

Yes, arm chair variant.
Old 10th October 2019, 13:03   #70
Senior - BHPian

Just got done giving my uncle a test drive on an Ignis Zeta AmT after asking him to consider it over Santro Sportz Amt as both(Delta Amt) fall in the same price after discounts.

He and I loved the smooth shifting of the Santro amt while his family liked the rear ac vent and seat comfort along with the 7" touchscreen with navigation and reverse camera.

But I insisted they check out the Ignis which falls a segment above and has more power they'll need to negotiate the Shiradi/Charmadi ghats when they drive between Blore and Mlore occasionally.
Old 12th October 2019, 02:10   #71
BHPian

Yes, very much. People around, try to get my opinion and choices for their requirements before any vehicle purchase.

During my high school days, i used to visit dealerships and collect car brochures. At some point, i had brochures of 75% of the vehicles in the market excluding luxury vehicles. Whenever my dad travels out of station, i would ask him to visit dealerships and get some brochures for me. He fractured his leg while visiting one of the dealerships for me. Good old days!
Old 28th January 2022, 16:45   #72
Senior - BHPian

Not that people think of definitely taking my opinions when they consider automobiles. But I do pitch in, when discussions wander to topics where I have first-hand experience.
Old 28th January 2022, 20:52   #73
BHPian

As far as I know I'm the only Auto savvy person in my family. (well there a sentence I never thought I'd say).

So yes I've been the family Auto-Consultant since I was in 10th (I'm in 12th currently), before that I was the junior family Auto-Consultant as in they would take my advice but then take the final decision themselves.

If I had my way from the beginning I feel like we would have a Tata Safari 4x4 Dicor or Endeavor and a Skoda Rapid/VW Vento 1.2 TSI instead of the Type 4 Innova and Gen 4 Honda City we have today. I was too young to influence the decison of my dad buying the WagonR in 2005 (I was barely an year and half old )
Old 28th January 2022, 21:54   #74
BHPian

Yes! But funny thing is that whatever advice I give them, they still go ahead a buy a Maruti. Full Stop.
BayB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 08:30   #75
BHPian

Yes I am indeed an auto consultant to my friends, colleagues, neighbours and sometimes strangers, but since a bunch of half baked potatoes have taken over YouTube, my advisory is not much in demand as earlier.
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed