Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2019, 07:47   #31
BHPian

Re: Man tries to file a police case against Jeep for low fuel efficiency of Compass Petrol AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Don’t think we can blame ARAI or Jeep or anyone other than our municipal authorities. In morning peak hour, the 10 km drive from my home to 2 km from my office takes about 20 minutes and my displayed mileage for that distance is about 10 kmpl. The next 600 metres takes anywhere from 10 minutes to 45 minutes - after which I take another 5 minutes to cover the balance 1.5 km to office. Overall time is 35 minutes to 1 hour 10 to cover 12 km. Overall mileage is anywhere from 6 kmpl to 8 kmpl. How can anyone devise a test for standing still and running the AC. And there are parts of Bombay that are worse off.
+1. If anyone is truly responsible for this mileage issue it is the municipal corporation s that have made our roads pathetic.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 07:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Man tries to file a police case against Jeep for low fuel efficiency of Compass Petrol AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Just imagine if this complaint is recorded the MG Hector Petrol DCT owners will make a beeline to the police station, too.
I second your opinion, one must understand that Petrol vehicles never deliver FE as claimed by the brand.

My first bike Splendor delivered 70-80 kmpl, second bike Zeus would deliver 55-65 km. Then came the Hunk which could give you 40-45 kmpl, there was no change in my driving pattern from 2005-2015. My last bike was Karizma, with my same driving style, I achieved 35-38 kmpl. When I am buying more powerful bikes, I cannot cry about FE. This applies to cars also, bigger the engine, lesser will be the FE. If you need more power, it must be through the fuel, there is no other source for the engine.

Maruti and Honda petrol engines are highly fuel efficient but not a Hyundai or Kia as seen on Seltos thread. The precautionary method is to not buy a petrol automatic in Bangalore. I don't know where this owner got a FE of 5 kmpl, but if you are driving in peak hour around KR Puram or Silk board, you will be lucky to get such values.

Last edited by deehunk : 12th September 2019 at 08:09.
deehunk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 10:07   #33
BHPian

The funniest part about the news article is it suggests to take a test drive of atleast 5 kms before finalizing the car, Lol, dealers here start to look at me like I have asked for their organs when i request a test drive of 3 kms.
The AG 6167 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 11:32   #34
BHPian

An utopian thought; perhaps ARRAI should insist that manufacturers should also list the worst possible mileage in the worst Indian traffic scenario!

They should come up with conditions that would replicate the below situation in peak summer with ignition on full time, with air-conditioning/gizmos staying on all the while and the start-stop thing turned off.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...rld-great.html (11 Reasons why RMZ Ecoworld is great)
crdi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 13:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

The news article in the opening post talks about 'limited edition vehicle'. Is it just a non-auto enthusiast reporter using the phrase with abandon?

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 12th September 2019 at 13:44.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 13:48   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
This applies to cars also, bigger the engine, lesser will be the FE. If you need more power, it must be through the fuel, there is no other source for the engine.

Maruti and Honda petrol engines are highly fuel efficient but not a Hyundai or Kia as seen on Seltos thread. The precautionary method is to not buy a petrol automatic in Bangalore. I don't know where this owner got a FE of 5 kmpl, but if you are driving in peak hour around KR Puram or Silk board, you will be lucky to get such values.
The owner bought car for his daughter to drive to college at Hosur road. Ah there comes Silk Board. And if the car is driven all the from Yeshwantpur to Hosur road at say college time, 5KMPL for 1.4L Automatic is pretty damn good . My manual Kwid 0.8L delivers 10KMPL when driven in outer ring road during peak traffic.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 15:31   #37
BHPian

I wonder why this is even a thread. Much like the subject person who is guilty of frivolous litigation, we are guilty of frivolous discussion. We don't have to react to each & every idiotic piece of news which graces our media.
superbad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 15:46   #38
BHPian

My petrol i20 CVT 2018 returns 8kmpl in Jodhpur's traffic(nothing compared to Bangalore traffic). So this dude's 5kmpl is right with the scenario.
Old 12th September 2019, 15:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
I wonder why this is even a thread. Much like the subject person who is guilty of frivolous litigation, we are guilty of frivolous discussion. We don't have to react to each & every idiotic piece of news which graces our media.
...perhaps because discussing this trivial news, brings to life something that we inherently accept as the reality without challenging it.
We just 'know' that claimed FE figures by manufacturers are never achievable in real life, and hence never challenge the same.

The last 2 pages of discussion leads to a few things that can actually change in this regard -

1. For ARAI to evolve more real-world tests

2. For the Regulators to ask for FE to be specified differently for different scenarios (Highway, City, Full Load etc.)

3. For Municipal bodies to improve their road designs and traffic management policies because greater Fuel consumption leads to a greater national fuel bill and many other wastages.

4. For Customers to be fully aware of the quantum of the real gap between what is stated and what is achieved, leading to an impact on their buying decisions. It's not just 2-3 kmpl lesser that many customers automatically assume.

I think discussing this is useful, and there are so many non-members who will read this discussion and learn what not to buy.

Last edited by roy_libran : 12th September 2019 at 15:56.
roy_libran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 16:16   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Didn't the ARAI mandate that OEMs should disclose the real ground clearance of cars? I think the change happened in 2017 only and the thought-process behind it is like this - "don't mislead the customer with ideal-world scenarios! Speak up about the ground clearance of the car when it is fully loaded".

The Marazzo's fully laden GC is 165 mm for instance, versus its unladen GC of 200 mm. I can see the value in the ARAI stepping in and telling the customer like it really is, and the ARAI did just that when it comes to marketing a car's GC.

I totally see the merit in bringing up this news item and discussing it out here. Not everyone is a petrol-head who can instinctively smell a rat when hearing an OEM's salesperson speak nonsense with unrealistic FE figures. The customer shouldn't be misinformed.

Here's where we had discussed the whole laden versus unladen GC figures thing - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...en-weight.html (2017 ground clearance update - ARAI now measuring GC with laden weight)

Last edited by locusjag : 12th September 2019 at 16:20. Reason: Added link to show how ARAI mandates laden GC figures now
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 17:38   #41
BHPian

It is the manufacturer as well dealer duty to specify the real world mileage while selling the car. Misleading advertisement/information is never acceptable either ethically or legally. Besides the fact that it is the established law that misleading advertisement of any nature invite strict legal action and is in violation both civil and consumer laws. I know that mileage differs a lot during real time operation of the vehicles and depends on a lot of factors but what harm can be done if manufacturers (read dealers) start stating this truth to the prospective customers. You can always start with "Sir, this vehicle although gives low mileage but comes with enormous torque and top end. The fun to drive this vehicle cannot be compared with amount of fuel it is consuming."
So to all the folks blaming the complainant here, the dealers is liable to be booked irrespective of all other factors. Below is the most important Indian legal provision dealing with such misleading advertisement:

The consumer protection Act, 1986

Section 2(r) of the Act, under the definition the term “unfair trade practice”, it also covers the gamut of false advertisements including misrepresentations or false allurements. And to redress against such unfair trade practices on false advertisements may be sought under the Act.
sabi_swat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 18:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabi_swat View Post
Misleading advertisement/information is never acceptable either ethically or legally
I am not quite sure if the misleading advertisement argument applies in this case. No car manufacturer can certify FE provided by a car in all different types of conditions their millions of customers will use the car. Even the same type of car driven by two different drivers on the same route at the same time can give different FEs (My friend and I have tried this with our Puntos). What the manufacturer provides is a test result by an external agency certifying mileage under some standard test conditions. Of course, this result can be called misleading, but then the fault lies in the testing methodology.
Old 12th September 2019, 18:55   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabi_swat View Post
So to all the folks blaming the complainant here, the dealers is liable to be booked irrespective of all other factors. Below is the most important Indian legal provision dealing with such misleading advertisement:

/I]
To reiterate, the dealer cannot be booked because his statement claiming a certain mileage is dependent upon the certification issued by the ARAI, which actually tested the vehicle. And there is a rider (*) after the figure claimed by the Manufacturer that talks about how actual driving conditions etc etc will affect the mileage and that real world mileage would vary to what is claimed. I

So,this is not misleading advertisement. In all probability, it will get dismissed with costs.

Last edited by bigron : 12th September 2019 at 19:04.
Old 12th September 2019, 20:49   #44
BHPian

Jump from Economy to 20+ Segement

Nowadays, I find more and more people who have primarily been using economy segment cars for their whole life, take a jump to the 20+ lakh segment. Few people are simply not exposed to the quirks and niggles associated with owning a car from this segment. They just look at the initial cost of purchase and take a leap of faith.
TN13Sleeper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 22:52   #45
BHPian

The Compass petrol is capable of decent efficiency so long you drive it keeping in mind turbo petrol engine characteristics. Here is my car's fuel efficiency stats ever since i got delivery.
Attached Thumbnails
Man tries to file a police case against Jeep for low fuel efficiency of Compass Petrol AT-screenshot_20190912200250_fuelio.jpg  

achyutaghosh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed