Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2019, 10:12   #61
BHPian

Re: Man tries to file a police case against Jeep for low fuel efficiency of Compass Petrol AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
With every ARAI rated figure, there is always a perceived REAL figure, which in some cases is over 50% lower.

Here is a stereotyped conversation ...

Potential customer: The claimed mileage is 24. What can I expect in real world conditions

Sales chap: Sir, customers have reported 15-17. Some even say they touched 20 on long drives!

For heavens sake, why don't they bring in a RWAM (real world average mileage) rating!!

I would prefer they follow a duty cycle, example 3 traffic stops + 5 mins waiting + accelerate/decelerate + change of gears + 2 or 4 passengers. This data would be relevant.
Old 14th September 2019, 11:39   #62
Senior - BHPian

There's probably more than just mileage issue, may it's a proxy for settling something else.

One doesn't buy a Jeep Compass Petrol AT for mileage. If mileage was that important, then buy something that costs half of it and use the money saved for fuel expenses.
SilentEngine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 00:25   #63
BHPian

Re: Man tries to file a police case against Jeep for low fuel efficiency of Compass Petrol AT

While the discussion is on Compass, I would relate this to all Turbo petrol and petrol in general.

Though the price difference between diesel and petrol reduced, but the fundamental advantage of mileage remains diesel favored.

I strongly like petrol and especially turbo petrol, how ever listening to many views, petrol does not justify the mileage if need is long travels and distant daily commutes. AT adds little more to the mileage woes but with the additional comfort.

Considering traffic woes in almost all big cities, petrol and turbo petrol are going to be inline to less mileage.

As many suggested, customer should not blindly go with ARAI
tirumalavoleti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 08:36   #64
Senior - BHPian

The mileage in real world depends on number of km's driven per hour. Is there is any distant place in Bangalore which you can reach in 15 minutes during peak hours? We cannot switch off ignition as we need AC all the time, thirsty engines drink fuel even at idle, no one can be blamed low fuel efficiency.
Old 16th September 2019, 10:25   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
Wait!!!
There's traffic in Jodhpur?
Never saw any in the one year that I was there.

Anyways, returning to topic at hand, I dont think this is going to be a very fruitful lawsuit, unless he has something in writing which "assured" him of a good fuel efficiency under any condition.
Thats what i said, negligible traffic. You could reach anywhere in 10-15 minutes.
DeepakS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 17:41   #66
BHPian

This is so common across all Jeep Showroom. I was aware of Jeep AT returning 5kmpl so when I visited Jeep showroom for test drive for Jeep Compas with friend and asked same question.
Me: What is average of Jeep AT? I heard it is 5-6kmpl?
Salesmen : No Sir. Yesterday I got 21kmpl on NH4.
Me:
Sunny_ST3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 19:56   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_ST3 View Post
This is so common across all Jeep Showroom. I was aware of Jeep AT returning 5kmpl so when I visited Jeep showroom for test drive for Jeep Compas with friend and asked same question.
Me:
My friend has Compass petrol AT and he gets 6-7kmpl in Bangalore traffic (he drives only on weekends) & hasn't got more than 10kmpl on highways yet!

I drive a Nexon petrol AMT and get ~7kmpl in Bangalore peak traffic with AC and never got more than 12.5kmpl on highways, although claimed ARAI mileage is 17kmpl for the car!

Last edited by asethi : 11th October 2019 at 19:58.
asethi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 22:22   #68
BHPian

Fuel economy ratings reported on 2019 Jeep Compass Trailhawk 4x4 Automatic window stickers sold in US.
City 22 mpg which equated to 9 kpl
Highway - 31 mpg which equated to 13 kpl

Combining the above numbers with Indian traffic conditions, one can estimate the real world FE numbers in India.

Attached link shows the test method which EPA use for their fuel ratings in US - https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml. I think this method is somewhat closer to the real world scenarios.
Old 11th October 2019, 22:29   #69
BHPian

There's a lot of judgement going on in this thread even before the issue hit the courts.

For the folks who say "he can afford such an expensive car, why is he bothered about the cost of petrol?" - I think that's an unfair statement. I have every right to be concerned about operating expenses even if I bought something which is pricey. It could very well be a stretch budget purchase.

While we are blaming ARAI, Jeep, roads, the weather and everything in between, l think it's a legit argument for expectation vs. reality. The expectation was set by a government certified agency. The reality, regardless of the circumstances, need to be as close to reality as possible. It seems like the manufacturer put in no effort whatsoever to try to represent the reality. The government agency is probably applying an archaic method and certifying this "expectation" number than being on the people side of reality.

Let's extend this to other things - let's say "expensive" Michelins. Manufacturer claims the life of the tires as 50000 kms. If it ran for 30 - 35, most of us would be ok. If it ran for less than 15,000 kms before giving up the ghost, would be ok?
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 22:59   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
There's a lot of judgement going on in this thread even before the issue hit the courts.

For the folks who say "he can afford such an expensive car, why is he bothered about the cost of petrol?" - I think that's an unfair statement. I have every right to be concerned about operating expenses even if I bought something which is pricey. It could very well be a stretch budget purchase.
EXACTLY!!! Not everyone who buys a car is an car expert, showroom guys need to be fair about their promises at least to a certain extent. For XL6 automatic NEXA guys promised mileage between 10 and 13, Honda Jazz CVT was promised only around 13 within city, which is close to what we can get.

I had a car with poor very poor FE, even trips to nearby beach turned into 500Rs flying out of my window, trust me frequent fuel stops are even more irritating than the fuel expense.
Old 11th October 2019, 23:32   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Let's extend this to other things - let's say "expensive" Michelins. Manufacturer claims the life of the tires as 50000 kms. If it ran for 30 - 35, most of us would be ok. If it ran for less than 15,000 kms before giving up the ghost, would be ok?
No manufacturer makes any claims about Fuel economy. The figures come from ARAI testing. If ARAI testing has deviated far away from cities in India, ARAI should change their testing methodology.

They should adopt their method to match EPA where estimates are much closer to actual median figures
Old 11th October 2019, 23:34   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_ST3 View Post
Me:
Just for this thread, I drive a JC petrol auto. Have been driving in Delhi NCR with mix of heavy traffic in city ( 75 percent ) and highway. Have driven in a mix of full throttle drive and sedate driving. I have been getting 9 kmpl on tank full method. MID shows 10 kmpl. I am overall satisfied with the fuel consumption. 5-6 kmpl shows a driver who is not driving the car in correct manner.
Attached Thumbnails
Man tries to file a police case against Jeep for low fuel efficiency of Compass Petrol AT-1570816980225.jpg  

Roadster17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 07:00   #73
BHPian

Quote:

What if I used the Michelins are run on really bad roads, then 15000 is expected isn't it? So the environment in which the tyre runs is important. The certification is in a certain standard environment. If our environment changes drastically then we should first question the environment (roads in this case) .

My point is, this is a Bangalore city issue (may be a metro city issue). It's common sense for people to know that when we are moving at the rate of 2 to 4 kmph, with AC On, the fuel efficiency will be bad and there is no way anyone is going to certify a certain amount of fuel efficiency.
So why blame the manufacturer?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks