Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2019, 08:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Man tries to file a police case against Jeep for low fuel efficiency of Compass Petrol AT

The unnamed car manufacturer's dealer sales staff told him he'd get 16 kmpl and all too predictably, he found the vehicle returning barely 5 kmpl in Bangalore traffic.

So he decided to file a police case, and when the police refused to register a FIR, he approached the courts asking them to direct the police to do so.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/71059053.cms
hserus is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 08:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Man tries to file a police case against Jeep for low fuel efficiency of Compass Petrol AT

Sounds like a Jeep Compass though it might be a wrong guess.

I don't think he has much of a chance because that * up there takes care of so many ifs and buts and butts.
roy_libran is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 08:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Man tries to file a police case against Jeep for low fuel efficiency of Compass Petrol AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Sounds like a Jeep Compass though it might be a wrong guess.

I don't think he has much of a chance because that * up there takes care of so many ifs and buts and butts.
26 lakh is priced right for a Compass, and the Petrol AT version isn't going to win a most fuel efficient car competition ever, though Jeep sales staff always claim 16 kmpl for it.

It'd be interesting if a FIR were to be filed under IPC 107

https://indiankanoon.org/doc/1667403...20that%20thing.

Section 107 in The Indian Penal Code
107. Abetment of a thing.—A person abets the doing of a thing, who—
(First) — Instigates any person to do that thing; or
(Secondly) —Engages with one or more other person or persons in any conspiracy for the doing of that thing, if an act or illegal omission takes place in pursuance of that conspiracy, and in order to the doing of that thing; or
(Thirdly) — Intentionally aids, by any act or illegal omission, the doing of that thing. Explanation 1.—A person who, by wilful misrepresentation, or by wilful concealment of a material fact which he is bound to disclose, voluntarily causes or procures, or attempts to cause or procure, a thing to be done, is said to instigate the doing of that thing. Illustration A, a public officer, is authorized by a warrant from a Court of Justice to apprehend Z. B, knowing that fact and also that C is not Z, wilfully represents to A that C is Z, and thereby intentionally causes A to apprehend C. Here B abets by instigation the apprehension of C. Explanation 2.—Whoever, either prior to or at the time of the commission of an act, does anything in order to facilitate the commission of that act, and thereby facilitate the commission thereof, is said to aid the doing of that act.
hserus is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 08:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

My guess, it's a Tucson.
Hyundai 2L petrol + AT = Single digit FE in all conditions.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 09:43   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Typical of Times of India to not name the car manufacturer. Protect your advertiser, it seems .

My first guess is the Compass Petrol DCT because Jeep has a showroom in Yeshwantpur and a variant @ 26 lakhs. Second guess would be Hyundai, but even the GL variant goes a little over 26 lakhs (they have a showroom in Yeshwantpur too).

Still going back to the Compass as the car was for his daughter; women absolutely love the Compass' styling & compact size. His daughter would probably prefer the Creta over the Tucson.
GTO is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 10:04   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

India is trying to ape 'Murica with the lawsuits for any reason, now.

As far as mileage/fuel efficiency goes it all depends :

1) On volume of traffic, which is always on the higher side in Bangalore

2) Driving style, i.e between the two extremes of hyper-milling and lead-footing, a 50% change in FE can be expected.

3) Type of fuel and maintenance can impact efficiency by 10-20%

In Bangalore, the average FE is less than 12, 13 to be optimistic, and those are for vehicles with 1.2 or 1.5 litre engines, in normal traffic flow. Traffic jams will result in minus 2 kmpl easily, and cars with larger engines, i.e 1.8, 2.0 etc will give a worth of 6-7 kmpl in max peak hours and 8-9 in off-peak hours. Take this as the holy word from Bangalore victims/car owners.

Everyone knows how car manufacturers exaggerate, combined with the ARAI ideal driving conditions FE, it is one sure way to get duped. Whether it is the Tucson or the Compass that is in question, I have no doubt that both will give around 6 kmpl in Bangalore urban conditions, maybe it'll pick up after first and second service by 1. BTW is this an automatic or manual transmission?

This case will be thrown out in seconds even if it makes it, the buyer didn't state the conditions in which his car was driven and there is no way to prove how the car is generally driven. I've seen figures of 5.5-6 in MID in cut-throat blocked traffic and about 9 kmpl in normal post 11 am to 2 pm flow. In any case there is nothing on paper that says the company is liable if said buyer didn't get 16 kmpl when driving the car.
dark.knight is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 10:11   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The weather report on TV said sunny and bright so I did not carry an umbrella. Hell it rained and ruined my suit. Where are my lawyers, I need to sue the weather man.
V.Narayan is offline   (88) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 10:24   #8
BHPian

None of the showroom staff or manufacturer's fault. ARAI should be sued for badly devising method / conditions for FE measurement. For almost every car the actual FE is far removed from reality. The difference becomes more if car is heavy, runs on petrol and if its automatic. Compass or Tucson is all the 3.

~m
serious_maniac is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 10:30   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

My first guess is the Compass Petrol DCT because Jeep has a showroom in Yeshwantpur and a variant @ 26 lakhs. Second guess would be Hyundai, but even the GL variant goes a little over 26 lakhs (they have a showroom in Yeshwantpur too).

Still going back to the Compass as the car was for his daughter; women absolutely love the Compass' styling & compact size. His daughter would probably prefer the Creta over the Tucson.
https://www.deccanherald.com/city/cu...ar-760583.html

It was indeed the compass.
Vid6639 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 10:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

A 26 lac vehicle for the daughter to go to college... and paying for the fuel too! That got my goat. Pray - why complain about fuel efficiency then?
Jammy70 is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 10:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The lawsuit will be thrown out all the official brochures have an asterisk over the ARAI FE figure with an ideal conditions apply clause etc...
hondatoyotafan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 10:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

And yet he is a successful businessman who can afford such a car for college run...I wonder how little my intelligence must be then.

Or perhaps the whole thing is a huge marketing gimmick by MG to bring to people's notice that all Petrol DCT cars give 5kmpl in the speed-breaker city; to switch off the alarm reported by people surprised with the Hector's low mileage in the petrol DCT avatar.
Reinhard is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 11:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
And yet he is a successful businessman who can afford such a car for college run...I wonder how little my intelligence must be then.

Or perhaps the whole thing is a huge marketing gimmick by MG to bring to people's notice that all Petrol DCT cars give 5kmpl in the speed-breaker city; to switch off the alarm reported by people surprised with the Hector's low mileage in the petrol DCT avatar.
I have another theory only stupid people are successful. Smart people get bogged down by details/facts and as a result don't take any action. After a decade and a half in semi conductor industry i have come to rely on Scott Adams of Dilbert fame as the only true management guru. In this words: -"Leadership Is Nature's Way Of Removing Morons From The Productive Flow"
JediKnight is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 11:14   #14
BHPian

“Daughter asking more money for petrol”

I smell something fishy going on. Two things:

1.Could it be that his daughter/her friends are syphoning off the petrol for added “pocket money”.( Is there a way to show lower FE figures?) I know this seems remote but things that we read in news nowadays is even stranger that fiction.

2.If he was soo worried about mileage why on earth would he chose a compass and that too petrol. (My terrano diesel 1.5L gives max 15kmpl in bangalore traffic)

Good such cases are reported so that general public is aware that FE shown in brochures and real world could be vastly different. But also keeps manufacturers on their toes so that they don’t display ridiculous numbers.

End of the day, I expect this case to be dismissed.
SideView is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 11:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The unnamed car manufacturer's dealer sales staff told him he'd get 16 kmpl and all too predictably, he found the vehicle returning barely 5 kmpl in Bangalore traffic.

So he decided to file a police case, and when the police refused to register a FIR, he approached the courts asking them to direct the police to do so.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/71059053.cms

Atleast some one has the guts to challenge the status quo. A thing in the right direction, would say.

If the Company has advertised 16kmpl on highway and the customer is not getting that mileage, the customer has every right to question it, right?

If the company is claiming ARAI mileage, then the customer should make ARAI a party in the law suit and question their methods as to why the mileage isn't anywhere close to the real world.

It is hightime that we had a city and high way mileage!
JayKis is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed