Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Do you think there is a high probability of Nissan exiting India?
Yes 588 75.10%
No 195 24.90%
Voters: 783. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2019, 17:21   #76
BHPian

Re: Nissan India Deathwatch - Will Nissan exit India?

Even if they do enter the EV segment, at least at this point in time its only small volumes that Nissan will see. Local manufacturers like Mahindra, TATA, are already putting their products in the showroom. If Nissan doesn't manage to keep costs low and offer electric vehicles at attractive price, they will fail again. I second GTO's words that they should stop investing / spending money in markets they have no presence in, and focus on survival of the brand. Nissan lets not forget has given some exciting cars like 370Z and Skyline GTR - they have the technology to make great cars - but have lost their way and I hope they get through this testing time.

Last edited by autocrat : 11th December 2019 at 17:22. Reason: Typo correction
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 18:41   #77
BANNED

Nissan India posts highest-ever exports shipment in 5 years in December.
Quote:
New Delhi: Nissan Motor India on Wednesday reported shipment of 10,791 units in December 2019, registering its highest ever monthly exports in five years.

Commenting on the performance, Rakesh Srivastava, Managing Director, Nissan Motor India Pvt Ltd, said, "Exports in December are the highest-ever single month shipment in the last five years, highlighting a strong thrust on Make in India.”
Domestic sales stood at 2,169 units in December 2019 which is 49% growth on month-on-month basis.

ET Auto
wheelguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 20:52   #78
Senior - BHPian

I think Nissan and Mitsubishi are on the wait and watch mode since they are part of the Renault alliance, and their eventual decision to exit or stay put in India depends on how they manage to resolve their issue with Renault. My guess is, if they end up committing themselves to the Renault alliance for the long term, Nissan and Mitsubishi will exit India, and may be just let Datsun exist in a small way, rebadging the Renault cars.

And if their alliance breaks down, then Nissan and Mitsubishi could plan to coexist in India and may be even plan something from ground up since India is a market you do not want to exit. And Nissan can easily invest in about 2-3 cars in the 10-15 lakh bracket and sell Mitsubishi pajeros alongside as well.

But you never know, the way Nissan has made moves in India, well it defies logic. So I would not be surprised if they just walk away irrespective of any of the above scenarios.
Old 1st January 2020, 21:26   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

It is a pity they are not able to move a capable product like the Kicks. A combination of bad pricing, unimpressive predecessor models, apathetic dealers and uncertainty over the India future for the company. Every review of Kicks sings it’s praises - good design, great DNA from the Duster platform with most flaws fixed, appealing looks and so many other positives over the Creta/Seltos, but yet it turns out to be a sales dud. Nissan missed a good opportunity with the Kicks to bring a well priced product and reboot their Sales/Service network.
84.monsoon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 21:49   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
It is a pity they are not able to move a capable product like the Kicks. A combination of bad pricing, unimpressive predecessor models, apathetic dealers and uncertainty over the India future for the company. Every review of Kicks sings it’s praises - good design, great DNA from the Duster platform with most flaws fixed, appealing looks and so many other positives over the Creta/Seltos, but yet it turns out to be a sales dud. Nissan missed a good opportunity with the Kicks to bring a well priced product and reboot their Sales/Service network.
Hope they reprice it correctly when the BS6 models are announced. I test drove the Kicks Diesel and felt that it was a good car, nice looking interiors with good quality materials, and good road manners.
venkateshkm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:16   #81
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This is the only way (at least in the short to mid term) that Nissan India can stay alive. The exports will pay its bills.

Quote:
Nissan Motor India Pvt Ltd exported 10,791 units in December 2019, registering its highest ever monthly shipment in 5 years. The company also reported 2,169 units of domestic sales in December 2019, posting a month on month growth of 49%.

“Going forward, we are aligning our business strategy for sustainable growth volume with Nissan as Primary brand with introduction of multiple new product offerings while also strengthening the value propositions in Datsun products,” he added.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:33   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is the only way (at least in the short to mid term) that Nissan India can stay alive. The exports will pay its bills.
Hi GTO. The Kicks was launched almost a year back and hasn't been reviewed yet by TeamBhp. Any chances of a review coming out? Almost all the reviews have praised it as a good, and most importantly well priced alternative to the Creta. It will be great to have a detailed write up on the vehicle. Such a review might end up increasing the sales of the Kicks itself !
coldice4u is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 08:34   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkateshkm View Post
Hope they reprice it correctly when the BS6 models are announced. I test drove the Kicks Diesel and felt that it was a good car, nice looking interiors with good quality materials, and good road manners.
Plus one to that. I saw a kicks the other day and it did stand out of the crowd with its dual tone roof. I had to look again to identify which vehicle it is.

Only if it had a decent auto box too.
lionell is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 09:01   #84
BHPian

Quote:
A combination of bad pricing, unimpressive predecessor models, apathetic dealers and uncertainty over the India future for the company. ...
While I agree with lot of points here, price is not the issue. I think it is company's/dealers reputation is too damaged to be repaired by just one good car. All other points you mentioned are also valid.

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd January 2020 at 09:05. Reason: Fixing quote tag.
Old 2nd January 2020, 12:50   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjunathkl View Post
While I agree with lot of points here, price is not the issue. I think it is company's/dealers reputation is too damaged to be repaired by just one good car. All other points you mentioned are also valid.
Agree it is not terribly overpriced, yet I think there is an opportunity to price lower. The manufacturing line/equipment and a lot of the tooling is common with the Duster must be fully depreciated. Kicks did no have any diesel variants under Rs. 10 lakhs ex-showroom at launch and the XE variant was introduced only very recently. This price barrier makes a lot of difference when it comes to on-road pricing due tot he steep hikes in road tax and TCS kicking in above Rs. 10 lakhs.

At this point, Nissan needs to do what Renault has done with the Captur. Renault offered a massive price cut of Rs. 3 Lakhs to bring the ex-showroom price of the top end model below Rs. 10 Lakhs. This helped to reduce on-road price by over 4 lakhs! Looks like all remaining units were sold out within weeks since the offer is no longer being advertised!

Kicks XV Diesel is retailing at Rs. 12.51 Lakhs ex-showroom and XV-Pre is at Rs. 13.69 lakhs ex-showroom. I hope they cut the price to 9.99 lakhs ex-showroom in Tamil Nadu for the XV and then it would be a sweet deal. The variant has most of the features one would want including LED Headlamps, push button start/stop, Cruise Control, Hill Start Assist, Connected Car features, a great infotainment system etc.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 2nd January 2020 at 13:09.
84.monsoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 15:38   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Kicks XV Diesel is retailing at Rs. 12.51 Lakhs ex-showroom and XV-Pre is at Rs. 13.69 lakhs ex-showroom. I hope they cut the price to 9.99 lakhs ex-showroom in Tamil Nadu for the XV and then it would be a sweet deal. The variant has most of the features one would want including LED Headlamps, push button start/stop, Cruise Control, Hill Start Assist, Connected Car features, a great infotainment system etc.
I think it is not possible for any company to price XV variant below 10 lakhs for the features and sheer size of the vehicle it offers. I think the current revised variant/pricing will satisfy prospective buyers who likes the kicks. But more than the price, I think these are fewmore points where a customer considers before making a deal.

> Brand value/image.
> Sale outlet or POS directly proportional to sale volume, Eg suzuki on the +ve, nissan or skoda on the -ve.
> Design- Strongly glued to the brand which sells, Funky = Beat or kicks sold by non suzuki/hyundai ie. chevy which sold lesser volume if it had got the S Badge would have done magic. Wacky = Ritz or Ignis sold more than total sales volume of nissan+skoda combined.
>Indian customer tend to be "follow the pack" rather "out of crowd", means more sale is concentrated towards existing lines, like toyotas/ hondas in Thailand, its Suzuki and Hyundai in India. Exp. Recent trend swift towards new Kia, which again internet freeky Indian knew Hyundai is the parent bringing new brand in the country.
>Resale value after the few years, If you got a pack vehicle Suzuki or Hyundai , common sell at smile, got a unique or rare piece (non suzuki/hyundai)?? Sorry scrap it or sell it cheap.

Unfortunately, most safer and quality cars belong to the rare piece segment
jeganatu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 14:53   #87
BHPian

Nissan is failing internationally according to Donut Media.

Interestingly, their claim is also that Nissan is not bringing new products to the market - not innovating enough.
Old 7th January 2020, 17:07   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Hi GTO. The Kicks was launched almost a year back and hasn't been reviewed yet by TeamBhp. Any chances of a review coming out? Almost all the reviews have praised it as a good, and most importantly well priced alternative to the Creta. It will be great to have a detailed write up on the vehicle. Such a review might end up increasing the sales of the Kicks itself !
Nissan Kicks was launched last year on 16th January so almost one year. If we don't have an official review here, there must be a reason for it.

But still, if GTO and the team wish to review the product (a capable one IMHO) for the benefit of lots of prospective buyers, I would love to give my Stallion for the purpose. Pune-Mumbai is not that far after all
theguardian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 00:29   #89
BHPian

The Indian buyer has almost no brand recall about Nissan which is imo the key reason the Kicks didn't sell.

From the start it has been launching products that are copy cats of the segment leaders and not set the trend. A kicks launched 3 years ago might have been one such trendsetter but they ceded the space to Creta, waited till the likes of Hector and Seltos announced their forays into the market and then jumped into the now crowded and hard to break into market.

Short of a SAIC / MG like maskirovka, this brand is dead as far as the general public is concerned and the group alliance would be better off withdrawing the Nissan brand and portfolio, give the existing dealerships to Renault, and focus on this one brand and making it a success. Right now there is crazy dilution of efforts, Renault, Nissan and Datsun. Not even talking about Mitsubishi because they barely sell any numbers though a revival of the Lancer brand with a media blitzkrieg might help in reviving some nascent interest as the lancer was a very well received brand before it just slipped into oblivion.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 01:43   #90
BHPian

Regarding Nissan Kicks, they marketed it heavily during Cricket ODI World Cup. Probably spent their entire marketing budget on it. Still they couldn’t sell.

In my opinion, Nissan as a brand has not caught people’s imagination. Renault has managed to do that with Duster, Kwid and now Triber. Very likely, they are exiting the market soon.

Most Viewed