Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Do you think there is a high probability of Nissan exiting India?
Yes 588 75.10%
No 195 24.90%
Voters: 783. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2020, 01:45   #91
BHPian

Re: Nissan India Deathwatch - Will Nissan exit India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguardian View Post
But still, if GTO and the team wish to review the product (a capable one IMHO) for the benefit of lots of prospective buyers, I would love to give my Stallion for the purpose. Pune-Mumbai is not that far after all
I am sorry to say but Nissan has failed. The Kicks was a good car but it doesn't have the backup of the mother company. Poor sales and after sales experience, with the threat of Nissan India shutting down. Further, from April, no more Kicks Diesel when almost all its competition is ready with new engines. The marketing is so bad that no one knows that such a car exists. And almost all Nissan showrooms are being turned into Kia now, further decreasing the brand visibility.

I don't think this car needs a review by Teambhp. What it needs a 'How not to market a car guide'!
Old 8th January 2020, 11:53   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
I don't think this car needs a review by Teambhp. What it needs a 'How not to market a car guide'!

I think the right thing to say will be, the car needs a review and Nissan needs a " What not to do " guide.
coldice4u is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 12:28   #93
BANNED

Now this news:

https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...ences/73150423

"Nissan India has announced the launch of its anywhere, anytime test drive opportunity for the Kicks SUV. With this, potential buyers will be able to schedule the Nissan Kicks test drive online, according to their prefered time and location."

Nissan wants to try something before giving it up.

But they have to reduce the price of Kicks drastically, and offer it as a real bargain buy. The prices have to be comparable with the top end hatches. Let the margins come down, but they have to establish themselves and improve the sales numbers.

Also, why can't they launch the Leaf EV and start a new innings?

Last edited by romeomidhun : 8th January 2020 at 12:54.
Old 8th January 2020, 15:30   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post

The prices have to be comparable with the top end hatches.
For a well built cross over like Nissan Kicks that is more than 4+m, expecting it to be priced alongside a hatchback is truly not happening. How can we even expect something like this?

Yea the car is not selling, Nissan might shut shop and exit, but even then there is no way to price a cross over alongside a hatchback.
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 15:48   #95
BHPian

Here are a few things which I have observed in the last few weeks:
  • Nissan is upgrading its current engine lineup for Kicks to comply with BSVI norms
  • Will launch a CVT version of Kicks very soon
  • And now a partnership with Orix to offer Kicks test drive as per customer preference

All the aforementioned observations very strongly suggest that Nissan India is putting lots of effort and they are not thinking about giving up. The 3rd point itself is customer-centric (read customer delight).

I paid 11.30 Lacs for my Kicks petrol XL way back in April 2019 and Hyundai Creta Petrol EX, I believe was available for 13.20 Lacs. IMO, found my Stallion to be a VFM product.

So not sure how much more Nissan India will have to reduce to make Kicks a bargain buy.
theguardian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 15:54   #96
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
For a well built cross over like Nissan Kicks that is more than 4+m, expecting it to be priced alongside a hatchback is truly not happening. How can we even expect something like this?

Yea the car is not selling, Nissan might shut shop and exit, but even then there is no way to price a cross over alongside a hatchback.
Top end Baleno and i20 Petrols AT are priced in the 7.5 - 9L range. Ertiga Petrol starts at 7.5L, S-Cross Diesel starts at 8.5L, Duster Petrol starts at 8L. Why can't Kicks do that? With all the discounts made official, some changes to the features and with a lesser greed, I am sure the base Petrol can be priced around 8L. Afterall, it is just another Duster in a new body! I don't think there is too much inside Kicks that warrants 9.5L for the base trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Just compare the base models of Ertiga or Scross with Nissan Kicks feature to feature. You will know the difference.
And for Duster, it feels bare bones to me even in Top end variant. It won't stand a chance in front of Nissan Kicks.
But with all those features in place and even then the car is not selling, it is better to adjust the features and price than shutting the shop. Afterall, you have invested a lot of money and want to get it back!

Reacting to the market requirements is very important. See how Maruti turned around the dud Versa into the Eeco. See how Renault launched the Kwid and Triber by understanding the market well.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 8th January 2020 at 16:23.
Old 8th January 2020, 15:54   #97
BHPian

I was in Dubai recently and the sheer number of Nissan cars on the road is rather astounding. The patrol is just about everywhere, only next to Landcruiser. Even the sunny was there in significant numbers. In a SUV crazy country like ours, a car like a patrol would find a lot of takers in the fortuner segment. The leaf would also be a great car to launch.

Their business on run-of-the-mill commuter cars has obviously failed. Time they focused on some niche cars.
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 16:03   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Top end Baleno and i20 Petrols AT are priced in the 7.5 - 9L range. Ertiga Petrol starts at 7.5L, S-Cross Diesel starts at 8.5L, Duster Petrol starts at 8L. Why can't Kicks do that? With all the discounts made official and with a lesser greed, I am sure the base Petrol can be priced around 8L. Afterall, it is just another Duster in a new body!
Just compare the base models of Ertiga or Scross with Nissan Kicks feature to feature. You will know the difference.
And for Duster, it feels bare bones to me even in Top end variant. It won't stand a chance in front of Nissan Kicks.
Highh5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 17:03   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post

You’re absolutely right. The kicks is comparable to the Seltos, Creta, etc and not to a hatchback. However people aren’t buying Nissan since they don’t know if this company is going to be around much longer. Hence Nissan has to drop prices. Plus to be honest the Kicks has its own quirks. It’s far from being an ideal crossover.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 17:19   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
I was in Dubai recently and the sheer number of Nissan cars on the road is rather astounding. The patrol is just about everywhere, only next to Landcruiser. Even the sunny was there in significant numbers. In a SUV crazy country like ours, a car like a patrol would find a lot of takers in the fortuner segment. The leaf would also be a great car to launch.

Their business on run-of-the-mill commuter cars has obviously failed. Time they focused on some niche cars.
Yes Nissans have been very popular in the UAE since ages, from the times that Nissan was Datsun. I have grown up amongst the Laurels, the Cedrics and the Skyline etc. Their global portfolio is still fantastic and the Patrol is king in Dubai. Sadly Nissan India doesnt give us any models from their higher end model portfolio. I recently saw the new Sunny at the Dubai motor Show and I quite liked it. I wonder why Nissan isnt getting it here.

Unlike what you said, the Patrol wont find takers in the Fortuner segment. The Patrol goes up against the Land Cruiser and will be priced above Rs. 1.5 crore easy if it came to India officially.

But my question is this. If Toyota can sell the Land Cruiser in India for almost Rs. 2 crore and Lexus the LX SUVs, why doesnt Nissan launch the Patrol here? It will anyways be a CBU, and will sell a handful of units.
Dippy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 17:34   #101
BHPian

Nissan is probably one of the laziest manufacturers to have set foot in India!.

They have everything in their portfolio. Magnificent cars run all over the world with their brand name!. Do they feel Indians do not have enough money to buy those cars, hence they do not introduce them here?

Even with their existing limited models here, they can do wonders as there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong fundamentally with their cars and services. Any doubts? Ask existing owners.

I am not bothered about the few flaws here and there as there is not a single car which is flawless.

Whenever I floor the Terrano on an open road, I am dumbstruck thinking "Is this really a car that did not set sales charts on fire"?

Office colleagues and family members who are not exactly automobile enthusiasts frequently pose questions like "Is this a new car?" and comments like 'Wow! Super comfortable". And I say to myself "Thank God, I did not see the sales numbers or number of cars on the road and follow the herd mentality".

The beast has crossed 50000 kms and not a single squeak from anywhere.

Mr Rakesh only has to pull the right strings.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 18:31   #102
BHPian

To me, the service aspect and the control of car manufacturer over a service department is absolutely critical for a cars success.
Maruti and Hyundai have good cars that can be called as jack of all trades (have owned a ritz and own an i10), and have serviced them at chowgule and kothari respectively.

Never have they given me a chance to complain about service, washing or even the time required to attend to the car.

If Nissan gets its service and spares game right, it is half the battle won.
Old 11th January 2020, 05:25   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post

They have everything in their portfolio. Magnificent cars run all over the world with their brand name!. Do they feel Indians do not have enough money to buy those cars, hence they do not introduce them here?
Err, which magnificent Nissan cars that are on sale currently are you talking about?

Their global lineup is waiting for upgrades. A company like Mitsubishi has a more modern lineup.
Old 12th January 2020, 14:29   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
If Nissan gets its service and spares game right, it is half the battle won.
I bought my Kicks 9 months back and so far very much satisfied with the service which the dealer has provided. Would like to share 2 instances:
  • I was doing some research on my Stallion to diagnose something and as a result of it, the coolant level was reduced to a considerable extent. When I found that, I snapped it and shared it with Nissan Field Manager. The Gent understood the risk associated with it and immediately informed the service center and within an hour's time a technician arrived at my home and topped up the coolant.

• In the month of November, while coming back from a short trip to Kashid beach, I noticed that my Kicks was drifting to the left. So I informed the service center about the same. They picked up the car the next day and after a week of diagnosis, they informed me that stock Apollo tires were defective so they replaced all 5 tires with new Bridgestone tires under warranty and that too without any argument session or any sort of friction.

Further, I am not a VIP nor do I expect VIP treatment. But what I carve for is timely attention to a problem and an appropriate resolution. So full marks to the dealer here!!

So yes, they are improving.
theguardian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2020, 16:28   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Err, which magnificent Nissan cars that are on sale currently are you talking about?

Their global lineup is waiting for upgrades. A company like Mitsubishi has a more modern lineup.

My views are totally personal but Kicks is the only car apart from Seltos that I am considering. As per what is available at the moment in India kicks fits in very well if you talk about modern designs. In a garage with jeep, seltos, harrier etc kicks wouldn't look out of place or dated.

It is sad to see such a decent product being neglected by a lot of potential customers. I have been silently watching this thread to gauge whats the long term nissan plan and have booked a test ride for the vehicle as I am actively considering it to be my next purchase. Would have really liked to see a team bhp review as it would have helped a lot of people like me on the fence and maybe benefit Nissan to some extent.
psbali is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed