Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you think there is a high probability of Nissan exiting India?
Yes 588 75.10%
No 195 24.90%
Voters: 783. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2020, 05:46   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nissan India Deathwatch - Will Nissan exit India?

@psbali - I was responding to the point that there are magnificent cars run across the world with the Nissan brand name.

They had great cars in the past and they have just stopped upgrading them.

Nissan neither has the product lineup nor the management focus to survive another decade in India. If there was a thread titled, "Which car brands you won't find in 2029 in India?" where do you think Nissan will stand?
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 10:07   #107
BHPian

I don't know why but i am getting positive vibes from Nissan from the past couple of months. May be Rakesh Srivastava joining Nissan has added to the excitement.

From what i know, Nissan (till last year) had decided to focus only on niche products like the Leaf for India. They cannot just operate in segments where volumes are very low. They need volumes to sustain. I think Rakesh will fight to get better products for the Indian market. The new Micra (released in 2017?) should have been here by now but they have failed to do so. Similarly, products like Juke and Qashqai are still relevant for our market. I know that Nissan is in deep trouble with its international products as well but they can still cater to our market with much better products. They are Global EV leaders and they should have taken the first mover advantage here. A locally assembled Leaf or e-Note would have given them some brand upliftment and minor volumes as well.
tarik.arora is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 23:51   #108
BANNED

Hardeep Singh Brar Director Sales and Network quits Nissan India.

https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...india/73305510
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 00:14   #109
Senior - BHPian

Don't think they'll leave as long as Renault shares platform and reduces costs overall for Nissan/Datsun.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2020, 12:47   #110
BHPian

I bought the Nissan Kicks in Jan 2020. I did read this thread and I am aware of the risks.

I feel Nissan will not quit. I think the decision to hire Rakesh Srivatsva was an important milestone which demonstrates Nissan's intent in the Indian Market.

But, Rakesh has a huge pile of work to do.

1. Fix Sales and Marketing
Fire all the poor performers, the sales and marketing was the worst of any car manufacturer, even the color choice of test drive cars would shoo away a potential customer.

2. Bring a competent product to rival Seltos.
Kicks is good, but no sun-roof, no automatic, no 6 airbags.

3. Fix the service and dealerships

Let's see, it should take 2-3 years to see the results, fingers crossed.
Old 27th January 2020, 15:07   #111
BANNED

Nissan to launch one new product every year to grow volumes.

Nissan will launch its compact SUV in the first half of 2020.
Quote:
New Delhi: Japanese auto major Nissan has scheduled multiple launches to grow presence in the Indian market, where it has struggled to gain volumes the past few years.

First off the block will be a compact sports utility vehicle, which will be launched in the first half of the year. The company will gradually seed more products under the Nissan badge, which will serve as the primary one for the company in the local market.

The company would work at strengthening value proposition of products under the Datsun brand.

Rakesh Srivastava, managing director , Nissan India Operations, said, “We will launch a completely new product every year, starting with the compact SUV this year.”
Source: ET Auto
wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 16:45   #112
BHPian

Why aren't they bringing a new Micra? Yes the hatchback segment may not have fat profit margins, but volumes are important as well.

Micra was a very popular product and inspite of the opinion of owners about Nissan, Micra owners i know are overall really happy about the car. If i remember correctly, it was the first hatch to get keyless entry and go.

They need to target the compact SUV segment first, then a Tiago/i10 competitor.
Old 28th January 2020, 12:50   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Why aren't they bringing a new Micra?
They need to target the compact SUV segment first, then a Tiago/i10 competitor.
You have a question and later answered yourself
Also it is easy for a slow moving badge to make volumes with 'first mover' advantage than competing with mass volumes.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 00:32   #114
BHPian

Nissan sub 4 meter SUV in the works. Nissan confirms new launches every year.

Hail Nissan, Hail Rakesh Srivastava

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le30667723.ece
Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 17:10   #115
BHPian

Will this be the right thread to also ask what should happen to Datsun, who have also shown a level of bullishness and are developing several new products?

Just for kicks (no pun intended), I was browsing the Nissan USA website to check their product lineup there, I felt there's quite a few things from that line up they could have launched here. A Pathfinder to take on Endeavour and Fortuner, for example, and in the least maintain a strong brand visibility. Their European lineup seemed even more suited to the preferences of the Indian car buyer.
Abhejit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 15:50   #116
BHPian

You are right buddy! Nissan's global portfolio can kick these pseudo SUVs and hatchbacks on stilts selling like hot cakes here in India, out of sight.

Only if they just sell these cars here and stop their stupid badge engineering arrangement with Renault, they can hit jackpot .
Old 30th January 2020, 17:40   #117
BHPian

Just back from a Nissan service center, after getting FIL's car serviced.

The service adviser requested for cash payment more than once. And I wasn't sure why.

After a point, I asked him why he was pushing so much for cash payment. He called me aside and told me employees were not being paid. They are looking for cash payments so that they can offset it with their salary payments (how would they do that, I do not know!).

And I felt bad about it. The car needed some body work to be done as well and the total bill was in multiple of five digit figure. I told them I would make part of it in cash and rest via card.

It was disheartening to see the situation at the service station. Adviser says hardly 3-4 cars arrive for service a day. The service facility is behind the sales outlet. Even the sales outlet is very quiet, and is soon getting to be a dingy outlet too.

Just shows how some incorrect decisions and a handful of unconcerned management individuals have a trickling effect on the entire ecosystem.

I hope Nissan survives -
- Employees of Nissan will benefit.
- Dealerships and their employees will get something going for them.
- Another automaker exiting doesn't bode well for India as an investment destination (yes, you can argue reasons might be Nissan's internal ones entirely. But it will certainly seem as India let down another car maker).
- Existing customers will benefit - after sales service + improved after sales service.

The new car (apparently a sub compact SUV) should at least do 10,000 units a month for Nissan to get a foothold in India.

And one car a year? It is just not enough. Next 2 - 3 years, Nissan better have at least 5 mass market products. Given its current position, it will have to work harder to ensure at least 3 of those 5 cars entice the market.
OrangeCar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 06:44   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post
Just back from a Nissan service center, after getting FIL's car serviced.

The service adviser requested for cash payment more than once. And I wasn't sure why.

Just shows how some incorrect decisions and a handful of unconcerned management individuals have a trickling effect on the entire ecosystem.
Can you let me know which dealer and service center you are talking about? I am due to get my Micra serviced and would be helpful for me. I was planning to take it to Surya Nissan, Hosur road.

KK

Last edited by Sheel : 31st January 2020 at 09:35. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 6th July 2020, 01:14   #119
BHPian

The big cats at Nissan are not petrol heads, just some corporate management professionals who are trying to sell stuff, thats it!
I dont understand what is stopping them from bringing the new micra to India!
Also if they could launch the brand new versa sedan, it might become the best seller in its segment because it looks way better than the city, yaris or ciaz!
Old 15th September 2020, 17:07   #120
BHPian

Another one bites the dust! A Nissan dealer in Delhi (Sparsh Nissan Moti Nagar, fairly popular area with most car dealerships) shuts shop. So currently as per their website, they have single dealership presence at Delhi, Noida and Gurgaon each.

With their scheduled sub 4m entry, I would have thought they'd increase their touch points. But then again, businesses are run with head, rather than heart!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks