Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2020, 19:52   #61
BHPian

Re: India spec Volkswagen T-Cross to be unveiled at 2020 Auto Expo. EDIT: Named Taigun

I am little bit concerned about MQB-A0 platform from Volkswagen which is specifically being developed for India. Going by how foreign manufacturers treat India by delivering sub-par cars mostly in terms of safety.

Till now we have been getting cars which were almost same as euro spec which means they have good GNCAP ratings. But once they replace it with the new platform and since india does not have any stringent safety Norms I am afraid they might end up delivering cars like Kia and Hyundai. These cars will be cheaper and will have an additional badge of "German engineering".
nisshith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 20:29   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The Skoda / VW SUV's for India are dimensionally different from the international versions (Kamiq/T Cross), thus freeing up more space to the interior and comparable ( though a bit lesser) to the other cars in this segment currently sold here.

Exteriors too will be tweaked to have a more upright stance as a SUV.

Got it, but why is VW creating a buzz for a product that is at least 5-6 months away? From whatever reports we read earlier, it looked like the Skoda Vision IN would be the first CSUV launch and then followed by its sibling from VW. If the Vision IN itself is planned for 2021 Q2, not sure why VW is already talking about the Taigun, and going as far as listing it under the models available in India, or coming soon or whatever.
Old 17th November 2020, 21:04   #63
BHPian

Re: India spec Volkswagen T-Cross to be unveiled at 2020 Auto Expo. EDIT: Named Taigun

As per few Auto website like CarDekho and ZigWheels, both Vision In(Kliq) and Taigun can be launched in April 2021. Though we will have to wait for official confirmation from VAG group.
Old 18th November 2020, 10:03   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisshith View Post
I am little bit concerned about MQB-A0 platform from Volkswagen which is specifically being developed for India. Going by how foreign manufacturers treat India by delivering sub-par cars mostly in terms of safety.
This is one area where I feel more confident about VW than the Korean twins. VW’s engineering and testing standards and very stringent and they would not want to dent their global reputation by making unsafe cars that fare poorly in crash tests, especially with memories of Dieselgate still fresh in people’s minds. This is why that are taking so long with localisation of the platform- trying to deliver cost savings while not compromising on features and safety. Hyundai and Kia launch the India-spec models almost at the same time as global spec or very shortly thereafter, which shows the extent of thoroughness of the work to make these cars safe. They also base the cars on totally different platforms though they looks externally identical- case in point is the Venue in India versus Venue in the US, which are based on totally different platforms though they look externally identical. Whereas VW you s actually modifying the same global platform specifically for India and has taken nearly 4 years to create MQB-A0-IN from the global MQB-A0 platform.
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 11:25   #65
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexusios1521 View Post
'tailored to Indian tastes'
Probably means that tiny engine with a poor tune, no digital instrument cluster, no 4Motion AWD (*whispers* shhh! We don't talk about 4WD/AWD in India, it's illegal!), massive touchscreen (as accurately mentioned by @andafunda), ability to watch horrible bollywood vids on the screen, the entire car being a crumple zone, inferior quality parts, lights everywhere, ability to drive the car from the mobile app, car being able to record whataspp/instagram stories and a a host of other pointless gizmos. Plus they'll pay some stupid celebrity to promote the car (reminds me of the nonsense Audi does with that cricketer fellow). How dare the launch the Tiguan with 4Motion?! How dare they!!?? HNGGG!!!

Damn, I am really agitated today!

P.S: Audis and that violent cricket fellow (CF)

CF: I like Audi, it has wheels, car should have wheels. I love it.

Media: Omg! He was the chief designer of this car!
(Even worse) Fans: OMG! He can build an Audi R8 in his sleep with two ice cream sticks and a toy hammer!
vredesbyrd is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 11:36   #66
BHPian

I sincerely hope VW doesn't compromise on safety and the build they're known for. Build quality is one of the USPs of VW and in absence of that, it would lose a major reason for why VW fans by a VW. Yes, they will skip on AWD and stuff like emergency braking, but I do hope they get the basics right.

A good car means one that's safe, built to last, good engine and driving dynamics, has basic creature comforts. Everything else's a bonus in my book. Of course they'd need to price it competitively, but given the segment this will be in, there's a good chance Indians will be more open to buying a VW than ever before.
Old 18th November 2020, 14:44   #67
BHPian

Quote:
VW will also save money by ‘rationalising’ the platform for India. To begin with, the Indian car will not be built using expensive hot-stamped steel. There will be no vulcanised rubber bushings used in the front anti-roll bar (this helps reduce ‘play’ or ‘lag’ in the front suspension), the seats used on the Indian T-Cross won’t be as expensive as the European spec ones, the sliding second row bench that allows for variable boot space will be deleted, and the sealed-in bearing and hubs on the Indian models will be of a lower spec, too.
Here is the link to the article. https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-models-412146
fache89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 19:35   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Sorry for the off topic post, but searching for the meaning of Taigun showed that it means a large crowd or herd in Japanese. Is there any other meaning in some other language that VW used?
A portmanteau of Tiger and Iguana. I am not joking.
sbanerjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 00:15   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
:

Last time they did something similar and gave us Ameo

See the build up before the launch

https://Youtu.be/vL58WBIi274
https://Youtu.be/dIBjKUFYZ2U
https://Youtu.be/v0z5qTbtPI4
https://Youtu.be/PdLPXm071ws

I have seen T-Cross in person and it looks decent. Hope they don't modify it to cut the cost.
The guys making jalebi are youtubers - two foreigners in bollywood

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnu...NREHhvC-VY296Q
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 08:25   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
I remember seeing Taigun on the VW india page from a long time, I guess after the Auto Expo 2020. Is there anything new that has been posted on the website? At least I could not notice anything of that sort.
Yes. The Taigun with a lot of info was present on the site right from the Expo. If at all, as of right now, I cannot see any info about the Taigun, while the last time, there were plenty of photos and videos with a tentative feature and spec sheet too. All I can see now is a Register for Interest Page.
fluidicjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 21:23   #71
BHPian

Volkswagen is promoting the Taigun via offbeat and niche 'actors' , and on a big spree perhaps; I presume more are to join the campaign. I believe more are to join. Spotted these two sponsored ads in just span of a couple of hours. Pratik Gandhi and Kunal Khemu as of now.

India spec Volkswagen T-Cross to be unveiled at 2020 Auto Expo. EDIT: Named Taigun-screenshot_20201215170358374_com.instagram.android.jpg

India spec Volkswagen T-Cross to be unveiled at 2020 Auto Expo. EDIT: Named Taigun-screenshot_20201215211756219_com.instagram.android.jpg
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 13:29   #72
BHPian

A short video of what Taigun is meant to represent is up on YouTube:
SuhairZain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 20:06   #73
BHPian

Greetings in the New Year! MQB is a design philosophy. The Indian market is unique in many aspects which necessiate manufacturers to tweak their products to make it a profitable business decision. The entire VW group line up in India will have tweaks that are different from what can be seen in Europe. That is what is being is being called the MQB A0 IN. I expect that it will stand up to global safety standards.

I however do have a concern on one of the engine options that are being talked about. The 1.5 TSI Evo has been acting up and hesitant to take off in the initial gears. It does so after a but of a hiccup. Much has been written and discussed and complaints logged and cars returned in Europe. While I see most of these on 2019 cars, I haven't see much on the 2020 cars. Yes there has not been much of a 2020 to even write about. Anyone have an idea on whether the 1.5 TSI Evo has these issues sorted out in the current model? As it is it seems very complex with cylinder de-activation and a supercharger to compensate for the Miller Cycle.

Any information on this will be highly helpful to take a decision on whether to go for an existing (Seltos, Creta, etc) or then wait for this.

Last edited by NevGin : 2nd January 2021 at 20:08. Reason: typo
NevGin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 14:33   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Greetings in the New Year!
Greetings for New Year as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
I expect that it will stand up to global safety standards.
The group has confirmed safety standards will be the highest priority. The localisation is done primarily as the global MQB is engineered for global conditions for eg. extreme temperature range from -50 degree celsius to around 55 degree heat. Similarly there are many other such factors which are not relevant for Indian conditions. Read this information somewhere 2 years back. Safety will not be compromised in this IN localisation - The VW Group is very clear on this.

There will be two engine options for Taigun - 1.0 TSI and possibly 1.5 TSI (GT version type)
If you are open to both engines, 1.0 TSI has already set the bar very high in Indian market in Polo, Vento and Rapid. If you are focussed only on 1.5 TSI, the details are still not clear. T-Roc and Karoq owners in India would be better fit to address your queries.
Anyways by March 2021, you would get a clear picture on engines as Skoda Vision In will be launched and in all probability engine options between Taigun and Vision In will be same.

Last edited by steadfast : 3rd January 2021 at 14:47.
Old 4th January 2021, 17:02   #75
Team-BHP Support

Looks like Autocar India print edition will have an exclusive first look of the VW Taigun this month.

India spec Volkswagen T-Cross to be unveiled at 2020 Auto Expo. EDIT: Named Taigun-autocar_indiaphoto2021_01_04_16_58.jpg
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks