Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2021, 09:58   #1696

Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by src View Post
Hi Pranav,

Congratulations and Welcome to the rare breed

Yes correct upsize is indeed 205/50 R16 but 195/55 R16 is also a good option.

Reason why I changed to 195/55 is that the sidewall does not reduce while 205/50 reduces the sidewall and could be risky on potholed roads.
Also 195 gives a marginal increase in Ground Clearance which helps to glide over bumps quite easily.

Attaching few pictures in case this helps you.
Thanks for the advise Ntorq.

Have made up my mind to upgrade to 195/55 R16.

Will go for Yokohoma mostly.
Old 15th September 2021, 13:22   #1697
src
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTorq View Post
Nice! How much did you have to shell out after exchanging the older tyres? Also, will it impact the power and mileage noticeably?
Embarrassing question nTorq. 5000 INR per tire as exchange price for the OEM Bridgestone Ecopia 185/55 R16.

Please note that my OEM tires hardly completed 150 kms.
Shared my Fuel Efficiency Chart and I do drive in enthusiastic way.
Yes mileage is affected marginally but not felt power drop.

But ride quality is leagues apart, pretty awesome and braking is bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
Apart from this, even my dealer has refused to change the stock tyres. What is the difference you ought to shell out if you get it done outside? I would also want to go for 195 tyres same rim, subjected to the fact that it doesn't set me back more than 3k-4k.
Normally no dealer does this as a policy. mentioned the price above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavb88 View Post
Thanks for the advise Ntorq.

Have made up my mind to upgrade to 195/55 R16.

Will go for Yokohoma mostly.
Good choice Pranav. You can check Continental UC6 or Yokohama BluEarth AE51. They are good too.

Would suggest everyone to instal SensAiry TPMS if you are changing the Tires. Trust me this is extremely useful.

Refer to this thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5057112 (The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62)
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-fuel_01.jpg  

src is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 00:33   #1698
BHPian

Quote:
Currently all 5 are on Michelins and have done the tire rotation also after 5000 kms mark.
One silly question: Is there a bulge in the boot floor because of thicker spare tyre or the boot mat sits perfectly flat?

Quote:
Reason why I changed to 195/55 is that the sidewall does not reduce while 205/50 reduces the sidewall and could be risky on potholed roads.
Also 195 gives a marginal increase in Ground Clearance which helps to glide over bumps quite easily.
The original tyre has 101.75 mm sidewall height (55% of 185) where 205/50 tyre has 102.5 mm sidewall height (50% of 205). So 205/50 tyre is also increasing the sidewall height and thereby ground clearance.

One more question to fellow forum members:
At the time of buying the car I did not opt for extended warranty. It turns out you cannot go for unlimited km warranty for 4th and 5th years anytime after 300 days from the purchase of the vehicle (according to HCIL website). The only options that are left for me are either 4years 80k km or 5 years 1 lakh km. I have already completed close to 28k km in 13 months. At this rate my car would have covered around 80 k km in first 3 years itself. Does it make sense to go for the extended warranty? Or should I wait for the 3 years to complete then go for Honda anytime warranty?
Old 17th September 2021, 09:12   #1699
BHPian

Folks - kindly advise!

My car has run about 960kms now in the last 20 days, I’ve been noticing a slight jerk when I’m in second gear, and I’m not sure what is causing it. Here are some details:

1. I usually shift to second gear when at around 15 kmph. I continue in second gear till about 25kmph or sometimes 30kmph.

2. Since the car is still new, I’m going very easy on the accelerator pedal, and I press it only very lightly. This means that the car is usually in the second gear for about 3 seconds.

3. Almost every time, after 2 seconds, I notice a jerk in second gear. The jerk happens only once, and can be felt for a fraction of a second.

4. It feels like the fuel supply is cut off for a millisecond, and comes back. I don’t think (rather don’t know) this is what is happening, but it sure feels like it.

5. I showed this to the service advisor during my first service, and he said it is normal with most petrol cars! It didn’t sound right, but I’ve driven only diesel before, so I don’t know for sure.

6. The service advisor said that they also reset the ECU just to make sure, but it doesn’t seem like it made a difference.

Can anyone please tell me what this could be?

Is the service advisor right about this being a normal thing?

My car is VX MT Petrol.

Last edited by nTorq : 17th September 2021 at 09:21. Reason: Typo
nTorq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 16:08   #1700
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I will be booking ZX CVT in Punjab in a day or two. Just wanted to know how many bargains should I expect on the on-road as mentioned in the pamphlet. There it is written 17.05 lakh with Zero Dep, Key Replacement, Engine cover, and 2 years additional extended warranty. Would appreciate a reply asap
Old 17th September 2021, 18:47   #1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickygupta2 View Post
Hello everyone,

I will be booking ZX CVT in Punjab in a day or two. Just wanted to know how many bargains should I expect on the on-road as mentioned in the pamphlet. There it is written 17.05 lakh with Zero Dep, Key Replacement, Engine cover, and 2 years additional extended warranty. Would appreciate a reply asap
Hi Ricky,

Great Choice. I am taking delivery of the same variant tomorrow.

I managed to squeeze a discount of INR 48,000 on Ex showroom here in Mumbai.
pranavb88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 21:06   #1702
BHPian

Thank you Did you take insurance and extended warranty?
Quote:
Hi Ricky,

Old 17th September 2021, 23:18   #1703
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ricky,

48K is really big. I hardly managed to get a 22K (10K in accessories) in Vadodara. I am yet to make the final payment but the pro-forma invoice is already made and would be taking delivery on 27th Sept. Your discount is now bothering me

Wish I had not read about the discount 😉
Old 18th September 2021, 14:06   #1704
BHPian

A quick add to the already informative 114 pages of Honda City discussions!

I was in the market for a new car mostly for my parents, and also something that my wife would find comfortable driving. Major requirements being;
  1. Back Seat Comfort
  2. Automatic Gearbox for the dad/missus
  3. Ease of use in the city
  4. No diesel clatter (Tree huggers in the fam)
  5. In hindsight - a dealer in the city/or at least within 100Kms
  6. Plush interiors
  7. A sunroof for the missus
  8. Decent engine/gearbox combination (all me)
  9. Highway manners - good to have (I think all cars can ply almost everywhere these days - I went to Auli during heavy snow in a 4x4, although I felt safe that way, people were bringing their Altos to the place, and driving on sleet

The pandemic and the looming uncertainties kept on delaying everything. I decided to check out everything (hatchbacks, sedans, and even CSUVs) between 9 & 15 lacs price range.

Maruti- Couldn't care much about Marutis anymore, although did test drive the S-cross from the stable. Came out unimpressed with the backseat.
Also checked out the Ciaz, although a nice car, and definitely VFM, the heart would just not agree with the plain-Jane Maruti anymore.

Hyundai - Checked out the Venue, and the Creta. Having a Duster in the house kind of swayed me away from the Creta, and the Venue although a good offering at the price range, didn't really feel like it belonged anywhere, except that it is maybe a larger hatchback! Took a look at the new i20, and it felt like the car to buy for the 99% city use that this car would see. But at 13 odd lacs for the top end auto, it felt better to just take the Venue. Put a pin on Venue/i20 and kept searching.

VAG - Waited eagerly for the Kushaq, but it failed to impress with the top variant coming with only 2 airbags, and then the fit and finish of the interiors completely failed to impress. I definitely wanted the car to feel plush inside for the family, and this wasn't going to cut it. With the EPC failures- this was a definite no-go.
Couldn't wait long enough for the Taigun-I expect it to play in similar territory and felt like it was not worth the wait after looking at the Kushaq's failures aplenty.

TATA - I liked both, the Nexon, and even the Harrier. Dad initially vetoed the TATA after testing the Nexon. I called the Harrier to change his mind, both parents immediately agreed to buy the Harrier. I also considered it for a second there but then it wouldn't be the best city car - what with its size and all. Had to make them understand why we weren't getting the Harrier .

Honda - I never thought I will be buying a 'City' ever. Guess mid-age changes perspectives. 6 airbags, and iso-fix (we don't have them in our Duster) was the biggest draw. Then, we got to test drive the manual ZX, although I did not like the way it drove (too silent, and unemotional for me), I was pressing hard in my mind to make sure this is the family's car and not mine. Thinking per our requirements, and the excellent feedback from the fam-jam, this looked like a winner. After getting the quotation for the ZX CVT (UP), the following was presented;
Ex-showroom price of 14,91,206/-
with RTO/Insurance/Warranty - 17 lacs+
This seemed too high for a City. I wasn't that impressed.

Went back to the drawing board, and decided to get the i20 instead (just coz). Booked the car with Rs. 10,000, and waited for delivery. Major lockdowns happened again, and the car took almost a month to arrive. I had changed my mind by then, and cancelled the booking. The dealer returned Rs. 7000 - apparently company policy to deduct!

Realized that dad hadn't bought a car from CSD ever (Army Canteen) in 24 years, and he is eligible. Went ahead and checked out the car on CSD, and thankfully it was listed. I asked the dealer to send me the revised quotation with CSD pricing (he was happy to hear from me after so long). The revised quote was;
Honda City ZX CVT
Petrol
Golden Brown
Ex-showroom price (CSD) - 13,38,846/-
The difference: 14,91,206 (civil) - 13,38,846 (military) = 1,52,360/-

On-road price (CSD):-
RTO - 1,53,421/-
Basic Kit - 10,500/- (I decided against it initially but purchased it anyway - I would advise fellow BHPians to avoid this overpriced kit)
Extended Warranty - 14,778/-
On-road Total:- (some changes after final order got released)
Car - 10,11,237
Additional Cost (14%) - 1,41,573
Cess (17%) - 1,71,910
Incidental Charges (0.5%) - 5,056
TCS (1%) - 13,298
Total - 13,43,075 + 1,53,421 + 10500 + 14,778
= 15,21,774/-

The Golden Brown arrived on 14 Sept, and feels like a reliable chariot that will do service for a good amount of time. Haven't ordered any accessories yet, and don't think the car needs any. Might get the sunshades when summer arrives. Also thinking of blackening the front grille but don't know how. Nobody seems to have those RS grilles in stock nor do I know anyone who does wrap in my city!
Will keep you posted on any additions, meanwhile enjoy this click.
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-pic-side-profile.jpeg
I was not sure about this colour but the beauty of this is that it seems different at night, and a little different each time you see with the changing light in the day. Maybe beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. Anyway, thanks to the missus for the colour choice.
pratyaksh is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 20:34   #1705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyaksh View Post
A Golden Brown arrived on 14 Sept, and feels like a reliable chariot that will do service for a good amount of time. Haven't ordered any accessories yet, and don't think the car needs any. Might get the sunshades when summer arrives. Also thinking of blackening the front grille but don't know how. Nobody seems to have those RS grilles in stock nor do I know anyone who does wrap in my city!
Will keep you posted on any additions, meanwhile enjoy this click.
Attachment 2208443
I was not sure about this colour but the beauty of this is that it seems different at night, and a little different each time you see with the changing light in the day. Maybe beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. Anyway, thanks to the missus for the colour choice.
Congratulations Pratyaksh.
It's definitely a reliable and a stylish chariot!
And the colour thing is true. It was told to me by my SA that the golden brown reflects different color with different intensities of the light. It seems too brown when it's very sunny, looks black at night, looks brownish black during evening/dawn and the shine is awesome. I wish Honda had more colours on offer like Hyundai has across its range especially in darker shades like dark blue or deep forest or titan grey. But unfortunately it has just one dark shader. City in red was also awesome but had to drop the same bcoz of the care the colour needs to be maintained and my missus too liked the golden brown.

About the black wrap, I think you can get it done at any car accessories shop. Also DIY kits are available online. I am definitely going to do it after driving it virgin for a month or two.

Congrats again on your new toy!
sprinter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 08:33   #1706
Senior - BHPian

Went for a short drive yesterday and clicked few pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20210919_082422.jpg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20210919_082529.jpg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20210919_082609.jpg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_20210919_082759.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 19th September 2021 at 08:36.
Latheesh is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 10:16   #1707
BHPian

I am in the market for a new family car next year. It is either this (VX MT P), the XL6/7 (if the rumours are true) or the surprise entrant courtesy my father, the Ciaz zeta - in that particular order. No Hyundai/Kia for me. I am done with them.

Coming to the actual point, I am really concerned about the front overhang of the city. I am not too worried about the ground clearance since I am accustomed to driving a belly-scrape happy Gi10. How do the front overhangs fare when you are climbing a steep incline such as a parking ramp? I did not take a test drive for now because of a recent COVID scare in the extended family and since my purchase is another 6-7 months away. It would be great if any owner could point out how the City fares in such scenarios.
Old 20th September 2021, 19:05   #1708
BHPian

Went on a Kanyakumari trip, the southern-tip of India. Started at about 9:30 am and came back to my home at about 4:15 pm, covering 267 kms. Spent only a short time there taking some photos of my car and having lunch. It is 98% 4-lane roads from my home. Though a lot of road-work was going on, it was still driving bliss!

Great for my breaking-in period, using the cruise-control at varying (slow) speeds and driving it 'carefully'. There were three adults on board and I drove for most of the distance.

And the new 4-lane roads ends just before the sea, giving a literal meaning to the phrase 'end-of-the-road'. This is the end of India in the south (I have attached two photos of this spot).

One can see the most famous place Vivekananda-rock, Thiruvalluvar-Statue and Ghandi-mandapam behind my car. This photo was taken from inside the TTDC-hotel which occupies a big and prime place before the sea. It has sea-facing rooms and a car-park just opposite the room, so one can watch the car the sea and meditate, all at the same time! (when one stays there).

Had lunch at Hotel-Sparsa a three-star hotel with a pool, also before the sea.

Wish we had stayed for a lot more time roaming around the town, but that is for the next overnight drive very soon!

Attaching a photo of the FE-average after the drive, it is 17.3 kmpl, I guess that the actual will be around 16 at-least, impressive.

Will be going for the first-free-service soon.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-01_nav.jpg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-02_tip_sea.jpg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-03_tip_road.jpg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-04_vrock.jpg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-05_vrock.jpg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-06_sea.jpg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-07_ttdc.jpg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-08_avg.jpg  

manim is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 12:48   #1709
BHPian

Hello Folks,
Is there anyone who has seen this feature working on City 5th Gen. Seems like a very useful feature on paper at least.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-ess.jpg

Have tried hard braking multiple times when the speed is over 60Km/h (of course on empty roads). But this feature as the manual claims never got engaged. I'm just curious to know if it works on any other variants, such as VX/ZX ?

Last edited by Swarup5 : 21st September 2021 at 12:52. Reason: Replaced picture with a better quality picture
Old 21st September 2021, 13:17   #1710
BHPian

Japanese replaces the German

Hello,

After a lot of contention, we finally decided to buy our first Honda car. It would replace our most loved car till date, VW Vento TSI.
We got our Honda City VX CVT delivered last week (15 Sep). The delivery process was seamless and well arranged. I liked the fact that it was not overdone.

I just love the car, so does my dad. Compared to our Vento TSI AT, and the seating comfort is miles ahead. However, City is no match to the TSI DSG combo in the Vento. The CVT and iVTEC is adequate, though not enthusiastic.

The seat mix up!

While removing the plastic covers from the interiors, I was stunned to see that the left front seat and the right front seats are different!!! Left had seat back pockets and right one didn’t. I checked some youtube videos and confirmed that this is a mix up. I later found that the seat on the right had the plastic cover mention “VX”, though the seats were from “V”. I never had heard of such a case.

I immediately alerted the sales person at the showroom who was very courteous and took it to Honda. Got an update yesterday that a resolution would come in the next 2-3 days.

Afterthought - how did I miss it in the PDI? May be because of the plastic covers on seats. And I never had it in mind to check the seats and was never expecting such a mix up.

And how much would a back pocket would cost Honda? Seats in V is fabric, has airbags, no back pocket. Seats in VX is still fabric, has airbags and back pocket. Seats in ZX is leatherette, has airbags and back pocket. Managing complex inventory combinations will be complicated.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-e0316d0485454870b4f1d2bcc47ebee0.jpeg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-f870f0db7e764a6395a0d4b109a5fc82.jpeg  

NotanF1driver is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed