Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2021, 13:20   #1711
BHPian

Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post

Coming to the actual point, I am really concerned about the front overhang of the city. I am not too worried about the ground clearance since I am accustomed to driving a belly-scrape happy Gi10. How do the front overhangs fare when you are climbing a steep incline such as a parking ramp? I did not take a test drive for now because of a recent COVID scare in the extended family and since my purchase is another 6-7 months away. It would be great if any owner could point out how the City fares in such scenarios.
The front overhang is an issue, but only on sudden steep climbs. Approaching such a climb up or climb down, you need to tackle it one wheel at a time, to be sure not to scrape it. However, I have noticed that the part that scrapes the ground is the rubber/plastic wind deflector beneath the front bumper, not the bumper itself.

Never managed to scrape the underbelly so far, even on the bigger speed breakers. GC is not an issue, overhang might be in some specific scenario.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 16:24   #1712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furyrider View Post
Coming to the actual point, I am really concerned about the front overhang of the city... How do the front overhangs fare when you are climbing a steep incline such as a parking ramp?
I haven't had any major issues with the front overhangs so far in the past 6 months I've owned the car. As long as the parking ramp is built to a sloping gradient and doesn't have a sharp and sudden incline, you should have no issues.

The only issues regarding the front overhangs I've encountered are the short and deep potholes/ broken roads (something most cars will struggle with in fairness) and the other being those oddly executed roads where they've decided to resurface part of it and the rest of the road is actually a couple of inches lower.
But even then like @Nav-i-gator mentioned, there is a plastic piece right under the bumper towards the front which scrapes/ can be heard touching over bad roads. No bumper damage or underbelly issues with the hillocks we have as speed-breakers either.

Funnily enough, the car has actually changed my opinion on the practicality of sedans in India given how successful it has been in traversing the atrocious roads (if you can call them that) I've decided to subject it to.

Last edited by AamodB : 21st September 2021 at 16:26.
AamodB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 16:54   #1713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTorq View Post
Folks - kindly advise!

My car has run about 960kms now in the last 20 days, I’ve been noticing a slight jerk when I’m in second gear, and I’m not sure what is causing it. Here are some details:

1. I usually shift to second gear when at around 15 kmph. I continue in second gear till about 25kmph or sometimes 30kmph.

2. Since the car is still new, I’m going very easy on the accelerator pedal, and I press it only very lightly. This means that the car is usually in the second gear for about 3 seconds.

3. Almost every time, after 2 seconds, I notice a jerk in second gear. The jerk happens only once, and can be felt for a fraction of a second.

4. It feels like the fuel supply is cut off for a millisecond, and comes back. I don’t think (rather don’t know) this is what is happening, but it sure feels like it.

5. I showed this to the service advisor during my first service, and he said it is normal with most petrol cars! It didn’t sound right, but I’ve driven only diesel before, so I don’t know for sure.

6. The service advisor said that they also reset the ECU just to make sure, but it doesn’t seem like it made a difference.

Can anyone please tell me what this could be?

Is the service advisor right about this being a normal thing?

My car is VX MT Petrol.
Bringing this up again. Any advise/help, anyone?
Old 21st September 2021, 17:27   #1714
BHPian

Quote:
The service advisor is most likely faffing around. We've had 4 petrol cars in our house, 2 being manual and have never experienced or heard of in-gear jerking being a common thing in petrol cars. However, it might not be a real issue, as you mentioned you've been taking it lightly on the throttle, some engines do cut off without "adequate" pressure as they might be tuned for fuel efficiency. You could try driving around with a little more pressure on the accelerator while in second/ while shifting gears. The run-in only applies for flooring the pedal and revving the engine out. Avoid that but you don't need to be extra careful just because the car is new. I would suggest driving as you would your previous car.

However, if the jerking still continues you should push for a proper check from the ASS.

Last edited by AamodB : 21st September 2021 at 17:30.
AamodB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 18:52   #1715
BHPian

Quote:
Folks - kindly advise!

My car has run about 960kms now in the last 20 days, I’ve been noticing a slight jerk when I’m in second gear, and I’m not sure what is causing it.

Can anyone please tell me what this could be?

Is the service advisor right about this being a normal thing?

My car is VX MT Petrol.
nTorq, I also have noticed these minor jerks in 1st and 2nd gears. I too drive with a very light foot on the accelerator. The SA told me not to worry and keep steady acceleration to avoid these jerks. The key is, only I (the driver) feels this. Nobody else in the car feels this. So I guess there is nothing to worry. Mine is a ZX petrol and has run around 3.2K KMs.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 19:21   #1716
BHPian

I've been meaning to post this query for some time now and was keeping on postponing. Was thinking that my requirements are crazy(which they are!) but finally decided to post. Here goes:

I've driven around in my City ZX Petrol MT for over 3K KMs and have enjoyed every bit of it, all the time. Every time I sit in the driver's seat, I fall more in love with the City. I've the following accessories:

1. Basic Kit.
2. Utility Kit
3. Transcend Pro Dashcam
4. 3D Boot mat from Honda
5. Front parking sensor
6. Honda tyre inflator purchased from Honda Dealership
7. Michelin tyre air pressure gauge.

I would like to add the following functionality to the car. IMHO, these should have been part of the OEM equipment. Need your suggestions on these. If any of you have installed any of these, do post your experience.

1. Front parking camera: I'm not a fan of the front overhang and hence want this installed and integrated into the ICE unit. It might seem superfluous given that I've installed front parking sensors. But, these parking sensors are not useful when tackling inclines and tall speed breakers. Also, IMO, this will help while manoeuvring in tight spaces.
2. ICE upgrade: This is necessitated not because of any need for upgrade in audio capabilities. I just want the ICE screen to display split screen feeds from the front parking camera, the rear parking camera and the left lane watch camera
3. Rear dashcam: While the front dashcam is useful, I feel that it is time to install the rear dashcam also, given the lawlessness in driving that I'm seeing in Chennai nowadays.
4. Blind spot alert for the driver side ORVM. I liked this feature where a symbol starts glowing in your right ORVM when there is a vehicle in your blind spot. This feature has caught my fancy and would like this installed too.

I know that this is too much to ask for, but a fellow can dream, right? And please note that I'd very much like to avoid losing warranty. I've taken EW and HCMP as well.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 19:37   #1717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamodB View Post
The service advisor is most likely faffing around.
Haha! Seems like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
nTorq, I also have noticed these minor jerks in 1st and 2nd gears. I too drive with a very light foot on the accelerator. The SA told me not to worry and keep steady acceleration to avoid these jerks. The key is, only I (the driver) feels this. Nobody else in the car feels this. So I guess there is nothing to worry. Mine is a ZX petrol and has run around 3.2K KMs.
You’re right about only the driver feeling it. I will try driving it with a little more force on the pedal. Will update.

Also, I was searching online, and came across an answer on Quora that seems like a logical explanation. Please see the attached screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-42b8b9f0d73a4c8ebc474b20d7eee4cb.jpeg  

nTorq is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 21:37   #1718
BHPian

Guys any clue where the headunits mic is located in the 5th gen Honda City OE Head Unit.
Please let me know if you know the location for the same.

Thank you.
Old 21st September 2021, 22:08   #1719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosharulvan View Post
Guys any clue where the headunits mic is located in the 5th gen Honda City OE Head Unit.
Please let me know if you know the location for the same.
It is here, from what I know.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-4a58ee260202426f8027e57737c5bae4.jpeg  

nTorq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 22:49   #1720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
I've been meaning to post this query for some time now and was keeping on postponing. Was thinking that my requirements are crazy(which they are!) but finally decided to post. Here goes:

1. Front parking camera: I'm not a fan of the front overhang and hence want this installed and integrated into the ICE unit. It might seem superfluous given that I've installed front parking sensors. But, these parking sensors are not useful when tackling inclines and tall speed breakers. Also, IMO, this will help while manoeuvring in tight spaces.
2. ICE upgrade: This is necessitated not because of any need for upgrade in audio capabilities. I just want the ICE screen to display split screen feeds from the front parking camera, the rear parking camera and the left lane watch camera
3. Rear dashcam: While the front dashcam is useful, I feel that it is time to install the rear dashcam also, given the lawlessness in driving that I'm seeing in Chennai nowadays.
4. Blind spot alert for the driver side ORVM. I liked this feature where a symbol starts glowing in your right ORVM when there is a vehicle in your blind spot. This feature has caught my fancy and would like this installed too.
Most of these seem to be addressed by this product on Amazon. It is quite costly though. A review that I found on YouTube says this is better as a good rearview mirror and a good dashcam: -

There are other products as well. But not available in India though.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 10:55   #1721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
The front overhang is an issue, but only on sudden steep climbs. Approaching such a climb up or climb down, you need to tackle it one wheel at a time, to be sure not to scrape it. However, I have noticed that the part that scrapes the ground is the rubber/plastic wind deflector beneath the front bumper, not the bumper itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AamodB View Post
I haven't had any major issues with the front overhangs so far in the past 6 months I've owned the car. As long as the parking ramp is built to a sloping gradient and doesn't have a sharp and sudden incline, you should have no issues.
Thank you for the response Nav-I-gator and AamodB. Your insights have helped me take a decision.

My concern is regarding a steep ramp in our basement. I cannot approach it at an angle and have to take it head-on. Except for a fully loaded first gen Ertiga that scraped it’s tail, none of the other cars I know of had an issue. I believe the City should fare just fine. In a couple of months from now, I will ask the sales guy to bring the test drive vehicle to see if this will be a problem. If not, I will book the vehicle.
Old 22nd September 2021, 11:53   #1722
BHPian

Dear Members, our City VX CVT is due for delivery this week. Can anyone share a link on the following accessories from your experience:-
a) good quality floor mats
b) Dash cam
c) Window shades / blinds

Thanks in advance.

I extend my heartiest congratulations to all the new owners. I shall be sharing my ownership experience in due course.
AG86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:13   #1723
BHPian

Quoting myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanF1driver View Post

While removing the plastic covers from the interiors, I was stunned to see that the left front seat and the right front seats are different!!! Left had seat back pockets and right one didn’t. I checked some Youtube videos and confirmed that this is a mix up. I later found that the seat on the right had the plastic cover mention “VX”, though the seats were from “V”. I never had heard of such a case.
An update - I got the right front seat replaced with the VX model's seat by the dealer. I appreciate the fact that the issue was resolved in minimal time (3 -4 working days). I did not drill down to the details of how this was done, although, I know that shipping a new seat from the factory would take much more time than this. The replacement was also very quick and took maybe 10 - 15 minutes.

I can't help but appreciate Honda dealer's courteous behavior and swift actions.
NotanF1driver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 15:00   #1724
BHPian

Quote:
Had this issue in my Ford Endeavour 2010 model. Only difference being that it used to happen in any gear. The issue was with fuel injector which is electronically controlled based on RPM. After changing the injector, the problem got solved. It costed me 45K in 2017.
sprinter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 18:58   #1725
BHPian

First-free-service

First-free-service over.

The dealer tried to force me to pay Rs.350+ for 'sanitizing'. I told that I don't want it since my car is being used only by my family. They said "it is not for you sir, it is for OUR staff safety", I told them that if it is for your staff safety then YOU pay for it, I won't. They relented. Paid nothing.

It was a 143 kms early morning drive to the dealer with 90% 4-lane roads and cool weather. I used cruise-control at 85 kmph for most of the distance. FE was an unbelievable 21.8 kmpl over 126 kms (see photo, it shows 21.6 after I slowed down). Honda-Connect-App gave me a Driving-Score of 100%

On my return from the service, I could not restrain myself, I let it rip! but was careful to not cross 4,500 rpm (FE showed 14.6 kmpl). I want to wait till I finish 5,000 kms before I redline it.

Planning a Chennai trip (600 kms one-way) in October, excitedly waiting for it!
Attached Images

Last edited by manim : 25th September 2021 at 19:00.
manim is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks