Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2021, 21:59   #1726
BHPian

Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

I just noticed that my City has now developed slight creaking noises which are noticeable on bad roads. I saw that multiple people on this thread had brought this up, and some had said they got it fixed. Curious to know, was it easy to fix, and did it stay fixed?
nTorq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 13:51   #1727
BHPian

Finished a 1200 KM drive on my Honda City 5G V CVT. Below were my key takeaways

- The car is a hoot to drive. Absolutely rev friendly. Takes a bit of getting used to the ratios to use it optimally.

- Drove the car on almost all kinds of Roads, Slush, Rains and national highways.

- Suspensions are one thing which Honda has done an excellent job . Never bottoms out, even with all 5 passengers and Boot full of luggage. Eats bad roads for breakfast, we just need to stop worrying about GC from now.

- Engine likes high octane fuel. Clearly, the noise changes for good with XP95. Also, revs smoothly with tone of Hum and not the typical grunt.

- Mileage on 80% highways and 20 % City was around 16Kmpl. (bone chilling AC included always)

- Best Tyre pressure for Highways : 31/32 PSI.

- Paddle shifters are a boon for overtaking with an otherwise a linear CVT acceleration.

- Night lights are excellent for Highways and Dark conditions. City/Rainy driving requires an upgrade to better bulbs.

- Must mention : All the passengers(including my kid) slept for most of the ride, Who are otherwise usually travel sick. Sigh !

Finally, some pictures from the trip.

Mysuru -> Chitradurga -> Sirsi -> Chitradurga ->Mysuru

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_5702.jpg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_5706.jpg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_5829.jpg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_5870.jpg
Swarup5 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 15:47   #1728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarup5 View Post
Finished a 1200 KM drive on my Honda City 5G V CVT. Below were my key takeaways

- The car is a hoot to drive. Absolutely rev friendly. Takes a bit of getting used to the ratios to use it optimally.

- Drove the car on almost all kinds of Roads, Slush, Rains and national highways.

- Suspensions are one thing which Honda has done an excellent job . Never bottoms out, even with all 5 passengers and Boot full of luggage. Eats bad roads for breakfast, we just need to stop worrying about GC from now.

- Engine likes high octane fuel. Clearly, the noise changes for good with XP95. Also, revs smoothly with tone of Hum and not the typical grunt.

- Mileage on 80% highways and 20 % City was around 16Kmpl. (bone chilling AC included always)

- Paddle shifters are a boon for overtaking with an otherwise a linear CVT acceleration.

- Night lights are excellent for Highways and Dark conditions. City/Rainy driving requires an upgrade to better bulbs.

- Must mention : All the passengers(including my kid) slept for most of the ride, Who are otherwise usually travel sick. Sigh !
Swarup your post has sent me to dilemma again, it's Astor Vs Xuv700 vs City all over again. I took a TD of City last month and I loved it. My only concern was the GC but seems like that's not an issue anymore.

What milleage do you get generally in the city?
Old 27th September 2021, 16:10   #1729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911CarerraS View Post
What milleage do you get generally in the city?
Mileage in City driving is around 10-12 Kmpl . It might drop a few notches in bumper to bumper traffic ( I have not tested due to WFH).

It is not surprising that City still offers a competition to all C-SUVs, even to date. Furthermore, it is undoubtedly a very reliable and competent product , but if features are what you are looking for, City won't satisfy the needs entirely. The other two cars in your list are loaded with ADAS Level 2 and so on, which are in no match to what City offers currently.

It is a different debate as to how well they function in Indian road conditions where stray animals , Jaywalkers spring out of nowhere.
Swarup5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 16:15   #1730
src
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTorq View Post
I just noticed that my City has now developed slight creaking noises which are noticeable on bad roads. I saw that multiple people on this thread had brought this up, and some had said they got it fixed. Curious to know, was it easy to fix, and did it stay fixed?
Thankfully nothing has been worrying for me touchwood but I know some of the pain areas. Also be particular on the following.

01. No loose or half empty Water Bottles in any door pockets. Trying to have it wrapped by inhouse cloth.
02. No loose or flying item in boot or in the spare tire well. Was using the huge spare tire sides for Knick knacks.
03. No loose item on dashboard car pocket on right side. Even small chocolates can create noise. Have kept a small cloth for specs and keep things wrapped.
04. No loose item or moving objects on the dashboard glovebox on the left side.

Strongly believe tat above 4 will sort the noises. Next steps if noise persists.

05. Dashboard trims to be opened in the area where you have noise. Double sided 3M tape with thermocol cushioning should help.
06. Risk of doing above is it will potentially open more places. The trims are very very flimsy and take proper care while opening. Realized this when I did the cabling of my Dashcam.

Ping me personally of you have any questions and will try to help as much as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911CarerraS View Post
Swarup your post has sent me to dilemma again, it's Astor Vs Xuv700 vs City all over again. I took a TD of City last month and I loved it. My only concern was the GC but seems like that's not an issue anymore.

What mileage do you get generally in the city?
Brother I was also very very skeptical about GC before I purchased City. Had taken multiple Test Drives too and this was the pain point.

But after I purchased and the moment I changed to 195/55 all my fears have gone out and I do some really spirited driving too on bad roads.
Trust me this glides brilliantly and effortlessly. Even if there is some odd hits it will scratch the plastic part under the engine cover.

Feel free to Test Drive my car if in Bangalore

Shared my Mileage details few pages back and shared the Link. Bangalore heavy traffic with spirited driving with upsized tires 12 kmpl is easy.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5150202 (The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62)

Last edited by src : 27th September 2021 at 16:18. Reason: Added URL
src is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2021, 17:16   #1731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by src View Post
Thankfully nothing has been worrying for me touchwood but I know some of the pain areas. Also be particular on the following.

01. No loose or half empty Water Bottles in any door pockets. Trying to have it wrapped by inhouse cloth.
02. No loose or flying item in boot or in the spare tire well. Was using the huge spare tire sides for Knick knacks.
03. No loose item on dashboard car pocket on right side. Even small chocolates can create noise. Have kept a small cloth for specs and keep things wrapped.
04. No loose item or moving objects on the dashboard glovebox on the left side.

Strongly believe tat above 4 will sort the noises. Next steps if noise persists.

05. Dashboard trims to be opened in the area where you have noise. Double sided 3M tape with thermocol cushioning should help.
06. Risk of doing above is it will potentially open more places. The trims are very very flimsy and take proper care while opening. Realized this when I did the cabling of my Dashcam.

Ping me personally of you have any questions and will try to help as much as possible.

Brother I was also very very skeptical about GC before I purchased City. Had taken multiple Test Drives too and this was the pain point.

But after I purchased and the moment I changed to 195/55 all my fears have gone out and I do some really spirited driving too on bad roads.
Trust me this glides brilliantly and effortlessly. Even if there is some odd hits it will scratch the plastic part under the engine cover.

Feel free to Test Drive my car if in Bangalore

Shared my Mileage details few pages back and shared the Link. Bangalore heavy traffic with spirited driving with upsized tires 12 kmpl is easy.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5150202 (The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62)
Pal I really would have taken the TD but I'm in Delhi currently.
But you have rekindled my interest in the city . I think I'll wait till the TD of Xuv700 and Astor come and then I'll take a call
Old 27th September 2021, 23:25   #1732
BHPian

Folks - Has anyone here got door damping done for their Honda City? I am curious to know if it will reduce the NVH levels at higher RPMs. I do like the sporty sound of the engine, but I wouldn’t want it to kick in at around 3k RPM.

Has anyone been able to get damping done for the City?
Old 27th September 2021, 23:42   #1733
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Folks - Has anyone here got door damping done for their Honda City? I am curious to know if it will reduce the NVH levels at higher RPMs. I do like the sporty sound of the engine, but I wouldn’t want it to kick in at around 3k RPM.

Has anyone been able to get damping done for the City?
Door damping is not going to reduce engine noise. The inherent lack of insulation in the firewall will always rear its head. Door damping will reduce ambient noise a bit, and will improve the sound quality from the speakers. You can consider damping the entire floor, the boot area as well as the roof along with the doors to significantly cut down the ambient and road noise. It is expensive, but effective.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 07:43   #1734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Door damping is not going to reduce engine noise. The inherent lack of insulation in the firewall will always rear its head. Door damping will reduce ambient noise a bit, and will improve the sound quality from the speakers. You can consider damping the entire floor, the boot area as well as the roof along with the doors to significantly cut down the ambient and road noise. It is expensive, but effective.
Noted, thanks. Would you know if it is possible to add insulation in the firewall area? Also, would it help if I added some insulation under the bonnet?
Old 28th September 2021, 09:21   #1735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarup5 View Post

Is 32 PSI not a bit too high? The higher speeds will end up heating the tyres no?
Old 28th September 2021, 11:09   #1736
BHPian

Dear owners of V variant, did anyone get the original Honda steering cover? Could you please share the cost and some pictures? Is the quality good?
Old 28th September 2021, 14:29   #1737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin_murali View Post
Is 32 PSI not a bit too high? The higher speeds will end up heating the tyres, no?
No. The recommended pressure is 32 for front and 30 for rear. I usually set 31 for all, which I found the best balance for loaded highway rides. Below that would always affect mileage in my view.

PS: I'm using the V CVT, the tyres are different to the ones on VX/ZX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
Dear owners of V variant, did anyone get the original Honda steering cover? Could you please share the cost and some pictures? Is the quality good?
Hope this helps. They did a good job at it, was charged 800 Rs. Doesn't seem like it will last forever, nevertheless it looks good and grips well.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-steering.jpg
Swarup5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 23:50   #1738

Quote:
Haha! Seems like it!

You’re right about only the driver feeling it. I will try driving it with a little more force on the pedal. Will update.

Also, I was searching online, and came across an answer on Quora that seems like a logical explanation. Please see the attached screenshot.
I have started noticing this in my old Ford Figo, in the first run of the day when i just keep the engine idle for a few seconds I feel the fuel cut off but its not a problem as such if I don’t idle and push the accelerator more.
Thanks for bringing it up, this has cleared the air for me as well, even my mechanic said its nothing to worry but I still was curious to understand the behaviour.
Old 29th September 2021, 17:06   #1739
BHPian

Questions for 5th Gen Honda City owners who have upgraded tyres from 185/55/R16 to 195/55/R16:

1. Does this upgrade void the warranty?
2. Any drop in FE?
3. Does this make the steering heavy?
4. Did you notice any other changes?

Thank you.
Old 29th September 2021, 18:22   #1740
src
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam264_2000 View Post
Questions for 5th Gen Honda City owners who have upgraded tyres from 185/55/R16 to 195/55/R16:

2. Any drop in FE?

Thank you.
Hi Sam,
Have mentioned all the points earlier but am summarizing for you if it helps.

>> No, as per my Dealer & Service Center since R16 is constant.
But have heard lot of Service Centers void the same. Please check with your Dealers.

2. Any drop in FE?
>> Yes, but there is no comparison parameter since I changed in first 300kms.
Shared my Fuel Log if it helps.

>> No, at least I have not felt it even after driving stock ones.

>> Foremost is GC is increased and helps to glide over bumpers.
Also the ride quality is plush and comfortable but may be as I am on Michelins.

Any other queries feel free to drop a note.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-fuel_01.jpg  

src is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks